Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Alright, I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (fantastic ending btw) and I just dropped the lot of Blu-rays into my wishlist that I might get to in a few years.

So is the movie from 2009 part of the original, unfaithful series or part of Brotherhood? Obviously the 2012 movie is from the Brotherhood series, though the other movie is also available in Blu-ray.

Sigh.

Man does that bother you? Isn't it true?

Don't take what I said at face value, I've never seen the original series. Didn't they produced Brotherhood to make a more faithful adaption to the manga because the first had a Gecko ending? That's what I gathered before delving into the series.

Yes. It's the movie from the version of FMA that isn't weighed down with lazy Shonen cliches.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm starting to think the backlash from people hating on the original series has made some people bitter towards Brotherhood. Like Jesus guys, some people just simply liked Brotherhood better, and not all of them are "durr hurr, old FMA didn't follow teh manga so its dumb" and I speak as someone who's watched both completely and prefers the manga/Brotherhood.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes. It's the movie from the version of FMA that isn't weighed down with lazy Shonen cliches.

Still managed to be a perfectly enjoyable series despite all these "lazy shonen clichés" people keep criticizing it for.

Uh.

uh so the 2003 anime?

I'm starting to think the backlash from people hating on the original series has made some people bitter towards Brotherhood. Like Jesus guys, some people just simply liked Brotherhood better, and not all of them are "durr hurr, old FMA didn't follow teh manga so its dumb" and I speak as someone who's watched both completely and prefers the manga/Brotherhood.

I haven't even seen the original series to make an opinion of it. Isn't it just a fact that come part 2, it totally diverged off the manga? Same thing happened with Soul Eater (:(). I dunno, maybe I'm wrong?

I mean I'm just fine sticking to the adaption that sticks closer to source.

Yes, that technically isn't wrong.

Ya see, when the original series came out it followed the manga for the most part, but eventually caught up to it and obviously had to take a different direction, one that even the author herself said had to be done. So it ended up with a widely different outcome, and even some characters' origins were changed(The Homunculi in particular). For the most part, people liked it and it was how most people learned about FMA in the first place.

Well come 2010, the manga is near completion and Bones has enough money for a second anime and decided to adapt the manga in full this time. It was also well received, except apparently having a new anime that stuck to the source material made the original anime suck to some " fans" for some reason. 

So now there's this stupid ass civil war between the fans of the original anime and its direction vs. the manga/Brotherhood fans, that still rages to this day. Its stupid honestly.

Except the majority of the internet is "durr hurr, old FMA didn't follow teh manga so its dumb" and whenever the 2003 version is brought up in most contexts, it's derided for not following the manga and people are told to just watch Brotherhood instead.

Except the majority of the internet is "durr hurr, old FMA didn't follow teh manga so its dumb" and whenever the 2003 version is brought up in most contexts, it's derided for not following the manga and people are told to just watch Brotherhood instead.

Find this kind of weird myself since both are really worth watching even though the 2003 one didn't stick with source material doesn't mean it wasn't good.

Yes, that technically isn't wrong.

Ya see, when the original series came out it followed the manga for the most part, but eventually caught up to it and obviously had to take a different direction, one that even the author herself said had to be done. So it ended up with a widely different outcome, and even some characters' origins were changed(The Homunculi in particular). For the most part, people liked it and it was how most people learned about FMA in the first place.

Well come 2010, the manga is near completion and Bones has enough money for a second anime and decided to adapt the manga in full this time. It was also well received, except apparently having a new anime that stuck to the source material made the original anime suck to some " fans" for some reason. 

So now there's this stupid ass civil war between the fans of the original anime and its direction vs. the manga/Brotherhood fans, that still rages to this day. Its stupid honestly.

Yeah, so basically the same thing that happened to Soul Eater. I'm still kinda hoping for a Soul Eaters: "Brotherhood" since it is a BONES show after all.

And yeah this all seems kind of like nonsense, I mean if people enjoy something more than the other all power to them.

And in regards to Sean, wouldn't the story written by the mangaka him or herself make more sense to go to first then an anime original ending? I mean that's how I would recommend most adaptions. They're both fine shows after all, from what I gather.

The way I see it, both are fantastic animes that have their own pros and cons when compared to each other. Brotherhood is more shonen but not at all worse for being that way, and has amazing animation, fight scenes, characters and overarching plot. FMA03 takes the plot in a different direction and is a less-shonen esque and more bittersweet adaptation, and it works for what it does too. Character and plot points also apply to FMA03. 

Translation: Stop fighting fanbase both are amazing for their own reasons.

Still managed to be a perfectly enjoyable series despite all these "lazy shonen clichés" people keep criticizing it for.

Yeah basically this. It may be shonen-esque sometimes but I don`t feel that's a negative in the slightest because the manga/Brotherhood still tell a great story. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what to say, most people I've talked with online prefer either one or the other and note the pros and cons for each. The 2003 series bashing has honestly died down since Brotherhood was first announced.

As somebody who had no knowledge of FMA in general, I jumped into the original anime thinking FMA:B was a sequel and honestly found it pretty boring to watch. I think I gave it ten episodes before I gave up? After somebody later told me Brotherhood was a remake, I decided to give that ago and found it much more engaging than the first and managed to finish it in a couple of weeks. 

Dunno what shonen cliches and such stuff are, nor did I care about which was more faithful since I had no info on the story and characters prior, I just found as a casual viewer of anime that FMA:B was more enjoyable as a whole. Different tastes I suppose.

YeAH BUT GUYS HOW IS THE 2009 MOVIE

That's what sprouted this whole convo. Like is it Bonesverse centered or is manga/Brotherhood knowledge enough?

There's no 2009 movie. There is Conqueror of Shamballa, which is a sequel to FMA 2003, and Sacred Star of Milos, which technically isn't part of any FMA canon to my knowledge and is its own standalone story.

Woaaahhhh I fucked up. It's from 2005. My mistake.

Guess it's kind of redundant to watch it if I don't have prior knowledge with the 03 anime.

As somebody who had no knowledge of FMA in general, I jumped into the original anime thinking FMA:B was a sequel and honestly found it pretty boring to watch. I think I gave it ten episodes before I gave up? After somebody later told me Brotherhood was a remake, I decided to give that ago and found it much more engaging than the first and managed to finish it in a couple of weeks. 

Dunno what shonen cliches and such stuff are, nor did I care about which was more faithful since I had no info on the story and characters prior, I just found as a casual viewer of anime that FMA:B was more enjoyable as a whole. Different tastes I suppose.

Does annoying love interest count as a Shonen cliche? Because Winry was annoying as all hell.

Does annoying love interest count as a Shonen cliche? Because Winry was annoying as all hell.

Curious: Why do you find her annoying? I personally think she's just fine. 

Curious: Why do you find her annoying? I personally think she's just fine. 

She was naggy, angsty and had a really annoying voice. In the sub version atleast. I don't think she had any real development either, instead she just clung to Ed and Al the entire way.

Seriously? Winry is one thing I'll always concede that the manga/Brotherhood does better than the 2003 version, in which her role is simply to feel sad about Ed and get abducted in her first appearance.

• Thumbs Up 1

She was naggy, angsty and had a really annoying voice. In the sub version atleast. I don't think she had any real development either, instead she just clung to Ed and Al the entire way.

She didn't get developed that much but she did have some development, like for example when she resolved to try to learn to better her automail working skills to help Ed near the beginning by taking that apprenticeship in Rush Valley. I suppose she's kind of naggy but it's kind of justified? I mean would you want someone wrecking your handiwork which you put hours of blood sweat and tears into all the time? It gets worse if you're really passionate about your work. Angsty? Can't say I see her ever being angsty. 

Also her dub voice is fine IMO. Ca't say I'm that experienced with her sub voice. 

She didn't get developed that much but she did have some development, like for example when she resolved to try to learn to better her automail working skills to help Ed near the beginning by taking that apprenticeship in Rush Valley. I suppose she's kind of naggy but it's kind of justified? I mean would you want someone wrecking your handiwork which you put hours of blood sweat and tears into all the time? It gets worse if you're really passionate about your work. Angsty? Can't say I see her ever being angsty. 

Also her dub voice is fine IMO. Ca't say I'm that experienced with her sub voice. 

Wasn't she already an apprentice to that old lady/mother figure back at home? I mean she just changed locations with the same purpose in mind, to help Ed. Justified or not, naggy is annoying regardless. Maybe angst isn't the right word, but she was constantly moping around because Ed was fighting.

Seriously? Winry is one thing I'll always concede that the manga/Brotherhood does better than the 2003 version, in which her role is simply to feel sad about Ed and get abducted in her first appearance.

Yeh. I'm not comparing Winry's writing to any other incarnation of her, just the one I've had experience with. I feel like she wasn't written well. Especially compared to the great dynamic characters around her.

Winry is honestly one of the better Shonen female leads really; she wasn't very prominent, but she did have a role that was acknowledged by both the plot and characters. She was never shafted.

• Thumbs Up 1