Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

So I will be buying Viz's Sailor Moon sets in the Fall. I hope the redub cast impresses me.

So I reread the ending of Saikano and all I can is that it was terrifying.

Has anyone been watching Captain Earth? I was interested in it because it was a Mecha series by Bones (two things I like quite a bit), but I was wondering if it was good/bad/alright/medicore etc etc. 

Holy shit what did they do to Ayano's Theory of Happiness in the latest Mekakucity Actors? I mean the rest of the episode is well executed and cute, but why would they use that god awful CG for the song? Those two minutes were nightmarish.

Looks like the anime won't reach Summertime Records (the end), hope they get a season 2 even with the shit they pulled this season.

Has anyone been watching Captain Earth? I was interested in it because it was a Mecha series by Bones (two things I like quite a bit), but I was wondering if it was good/bad/alright/medicore etc etc. 

Alright to mediocre, I'd say.  I'm watching it because I'm pretty sure it's going somewhere, but it never quite manages to be truly exciting; if anything, I think it's trying a bit too hard to be cryptic and intriguing, and it loses points for fanservice and recycled transformation sequences as well.  A few times I've nearly dropped it, but then the next episode manages to be just interesting enough...  I don't mean to say that it's got nothing going for it - I really like the main robot, the opening and ending are great, and it's kind of astonishing to see a non-white main heroine in an anime - but the slight deficiencies are what stand out to me.

If you buy your anime from Rightstuf, I have two coupons I don't need. One for $4 off an order of $60 or more and %10 off eligable items from Sentai Filmworks. If you want 1, PM me. They expire soon though.

Flower Mound, Texas (June 18, 2014) – FUNimation® Entertainment announced today it has acquired U.S. & Canadian rights to the full-length feature film BAYONETTA: Bloody Fate. From the team that brought you the Emmy nominated AFRO SAMURAI RESURRECTION, studio GONZO and internationally acclaimed director Fuminori Kizaki have come together once again to create this feature-length animated film based on the hugely popular video game franchise “BAYONETTA.” The film faithfully captures the extreme action and sexiness of the original, crafting a storyline that expands and further establishes the world of the sexy, shape shifting witch, Bayonetta.

Director Fuminori Kizaki will be making an appearance as a guest of honor at this year’s Anime Expo in Los Angeles, July 3-6 where a “sneak peek” of the English dub of BAYONETTA: Bloody Fate will be shown for fans at the convention, along with a special Q&A with Director Kizaki following on Saturday, July 5th, at 8:15pm in Video 1.

Fuminori Kizaki started his career in the animation industry at Studio Giants and, soon after, joined Studio Hercules. After he moved to Gonzo, Kizaki directed “AFRO SAMURAI” which found success in the worldwide market. The sequel, “AFRO SAMURAI RESURRECTION”, was nominated for the Outstanding Animated Program (for programming one hour or more) at the 61st Emmy Awards. His latest work is X-MEN (animated TV series, director). FUNimation plans to release the film on Blu-ray and DVD later this year and Nintendo announced earlier this month at E3 that Platinum Games will be releasing the BAYONETTA 2 video game exclusively for the Nintendo Wii U this October.

Be sure to ‘Like’ FUNimation’s official BAYONETTA: Bloody Fate Facebook page for all the latest news and details regarding the film and cast: https://www.facebook.com/BayonettaMovie

• Thumbs Up 1

So I read the latest manga chapter of HxH and

They showed Gon being unable to channel nen anymore...so now how will he fit in this new arc? Magic? Aliens? A miracle?

All I can say is they better get the game actors. I heard something about Jeanne's voice actor not wanting to do non-union work, but I hope they at least get the rest of the cast or at least Bayonetta's voice actor. Then I actually might watch this mediocre movie. 

So I tried to find the source of the "*bark* no you don't understand!" image, and learned it's froma manga called Me-Teru no Kimoichi

So I started reading it to look for the panels....

Well, this is one strange manga.

The story is that this guy locked himself in his room for 30 years and never came out because his mom died and he hates his dad. He makes a deal with his dad that if he can prove to him he's not a pathetic old fart by getting a girlfriend, then he'l come out of his room. Well...

tumblr_n7ljqfghZJ1sgbu3ro1_500.jpg

HE finds one, and she's much younger than him.

His son doesn't believe him and thinks he got one of his coworkers to help him

So he gets married to her, goes aon a honeymoon with her to show his son that he really did get a girlfriend.... and then dies from cancer.

So let's see, a 30 year old otaku has a beautiful 20yr old woman as a mother.

Where could this possibly go?

tumblr_n7lj5hKJ1e1sgbu3ro1_500.png

yeeeeeep.

Well, so far it's not shittily written, and has actually been a fun read.

So the manga sucked ass. The main character was unlikable and unrelatable, the plot was rushed as shit, the sex scene was awful, and none of it had anything to do with anything in the end run.

I've been playing a bunch of world of tanks recently, and despite the inevitable trite and tragic end, I saw no alternative and watched some of Girls Und Panzer. It's basically any moe show only there are tanks a lot of the time. Tanking place on comically gigantic ships most of the time has surprisingly little impact on the plot.

The most memorable thing for me is that they have those larynx vibration sensing neck mics but it's a moe show so to fit their necks the device is the size of a bangle.

I might consider Shinshoku Kiss by Kazuko Higashiyama. An aspiring doll-maker, all I got. Considering my love-hate relationship with dolls, this could be interesting.

In other news, I seem to enjoy reading manga with what little Japanese I know more than I do when reading English. At least when reading 3x3 Eyes.

Nobunaga the Fool finally finished up. Its both good and bad but at the end I feel so cheated. So basically...

Cesare shoots Jeane while Mitsuhide shoots Cesare in the heart, killing him. Jeane is slowly dying due to being shot while Mitsuhide is still under Arthur's influence and takes a fall to get over that. Nobunaga finally confronts King Arthur who is revealed to be an old man instead of the countless times he changed his face to. They have a chat before Arthur summons the Holy Grail. Nobunaga and Alexander the Great have a mech battle that turns into a dragon battle in which Arthur dies in the crossfire. And before he dies Arthur's motive for nearly ruining 2 worlds is to revive his dead wife which he doesn't get.

Mitsuhide still wants to kill Nobunaga and Hideyoshi confronts him which oddly ends up with them briefly clashing and Mitsuhide walking away while Hideyoshi just stands there unlike how it went in history. After Nobunaga wrecks shit up Mitsuhide confronts him and after a one-sided sword fight in Nobunaga's favor, Mitsuhide stabs Nobunaga with Nobu's dead sister's comb and slashes him with his katana which mortally wounds him. It ends with Mitsuhide watching Nobunaga and Jeane dying, Nobunaga revealing why Mitsuhide never got any special powers or robots is because he was the one who was supposed to destroy them, and Da Vinci pretty much called Nobunaga Judas and Mitsuhide Jesus due their placement in this universe's Last Supper painting. Mitsuhide being the Savior King really seems left field when it was hyped that either Nobunaga or Arthur would be it but it turns out none of them were it. Oh and they kill Da Vinci AKA the best character on the show! By him falling through a random hole and into fire no less.

At the end Nobunaga and Jeane die together at least not before sharing a kiss. The one thing that urks me about it is that Nobunaga called Jeane Ranmaru, Jeane's identity when she went into hiding in the East star instead of her real name which strikes me as odd but I guess Nobu is used to calling her that. And finally it ends with Nobunaga's and Jeane's reincarnations alive and well in a school which just so happened to have the Last Supper in it.

Man it was something I gotta say. Anyways if you're interested in watching Nobunaga the Fool I'll least tell you this. It has a great premise which is Eastern historical figures (Eg.Nobunaga, Hideyoshi) fighting Western historical figures (Eg.Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great) but with giant robots with magical talisman powers. I guess its alright on paper but I feel like it suffers a lot from pacing issues. If anything Nobunaga spends 2 episodes really doing nothing established before going on to having them fight other warlords. Its good despite its problems I guess. So yeah if your interested in watching it, go ahead but don't expect too much since you'll want these characters from various historical figures to interact a lot but they don't. Otherwise its fine, I'm just saying what I thought about this series.

Forgot to say that I enjoyed seeing Sentai's release of the original 1973-1974 Casshan.

I will note that for it's time, it was pretty bloody intense.
As there was an episode where Casshan and his friends had to help a BLIND pianist put on a concert.
The Android Squad set a cat on fire in an early episode.

Lucky (Friender's original/organic dog form) was stabbed through the throat in the very first episode.

Luna was forced to temporarily betray Casshan to help some people,

There was a scene where a robot named Android 4 (Red Ribbon inspiration perhaps?) was trying to find himself a new identity and he saw some robots blow up a house when a mother and small child were just about to eat.

There were also many cases where one-shot characters didn't even last until the end of the episode before being killed.

So, yeah. This was much more brutal than Tatsunoko's other superhero series that was being made at the time, Gatchaman. I remember it being so tense that I had to take a break after three tense episodes to prevent an overload.

Viz has posted a preview of the Doraemon dub:

The voice cast has also been announced.

I have to admit, that's not a bad Doraemon voice and it does sound similar to the Japanese voice. Hopefully the other voices will turn out good. The premiere date is July 7th on Disney XD.

Edit: Disney XD also has a commercial for the new series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgLspFCc0eg

Wait. It's airing on Disney XD? Disney. XD? Anime. On Disney XD. This is weird. Okay, not that weird since they have Pokemon on that channel, but to most people outside Japan, Pokemon is considered a cartoon. Whatever. I've never seen Doraemon, but I've heard good things. I'll probably watch the English dub, because why not? And I'm honestly hoping this leads to more anime coming the US and Europe (this is coming to Europe, right?). I mean, if Disney XD is starting to air it, there's hope.

And although anime does air in Europe, there isn't that much. Especially in Greece. And since channels like Disney XD are universal, I'm hoping they get more down the line. I still have hope for "Glitter Force" (aka Pretty Cure) to air on that channel. Yes, it's a magical girl anime, but I still haven't forgotten that Saban has the rights to it for the US (and Europe I believe). And it's not impossible for it to air on Disney XD, despite aimed towards girls. Remember, Saban owns Power Rangers and a new Power Rangers series is coming to Disney XD in 2015. So I'm still hopeful something else in addition to Doraemon will come down the line in the near future.

So I've been rewatching "Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?".

It is tropier than I remember but unlike other tropey animes this one is still a lot of fun to watch.

Wait. It's airing on Disney XD? Disney. XD? Anime. On Disney XD. This is weird. Okay, not that weird since they have Pokemon on that channel, but to most people outside Japan, Pokemon is considered a cartoon. Whatever. I've never seen Doraemon, but I've heard good things. I'll probably watch the English dub, because why not? And I'm honestly hoping this leads to more anime coming the US and Europe (this is coming to Europe, right?). I mean, if Disney XD is starting to air it, there's hope.

Well, it's certainly weird, but in the US, Disney XD had Naruto Shippuden for a while. Weirder still is that the Naruto dub used to be on CN and now on the revived Toonami uncut whereas XD had Shippuden without showing any of the pre-time skip eps, I believe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OdqHWJBTY

Well, it's certainly weird, but in the US, Disney XD had Naruto Shippuden for a while. Weirder still is that the Naruto dub used to be on CN and now on the revived Toonami uncut whereas XD had Shippuden without showing any of the pre-time skip eps, I believe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OdqHWJBTY

Huh. Well that's a bit unfair. Europe's Disney XD doesn't have Naruto. Darn. This could mean Doraemon might not come to Europe. I always find it strange how there are a few exclusive shows that the US gets and then others that only Europe gets. I guess it's all down to the licensing in the end, but I wish we'd have some consistency. I was pretty surprised to find Naruto airing in the States. Here in Europe, Naruto is pretty darn popular. If it's not One Piece that comes to mind when talking about anime, then it's Naruto. 

No game, No Life ends today. You have no idea how sad I am by this news.

There is obviously enough material for a season 2.

The manga is ongoing as well. It has even been licensed in the US so you could own it as well.

They need to restock on their creepy loli animation money