Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Ohh.. Triage X is finally getting an anime? Might have to look into that then since I'm enjoying the manga quite a bit.

I do like some trashy series, especially when it came from the mind of the Highschool of the Dead's creators.

High School DxD will be my obligatory "trashy guilty pleasure that I never watch in Public",

And yo, Blood Blockade Battlefront looks pretty hype, might also check out Seraph of the End.

Hm, haven't posted here in a long long while.

I've started watching Dragon Ball and I can't exactly recall the episode number I'm on, but Goku and Krillin are at the tournament. The show's better than I expected but gosh dang, the humour is soo perverted. It makes me a bit uncomfortable at times if I'll be honest. Though the moments outside that humour keep me going. And I'm only watching this so I can get on Z Kai. :V

Also, I started Hetalia: Axis Powers and I cannot believe this is an anime. It's just so darn hilarious and so silly. And it's based (although loosely) on real life events. So I'm laughing my ass off even more due to the fact that I recognize a lot of the history events they are parodying since I went over them a few months ago in my History class. Oh and I have to give props to Funimation for giving everyone silly accents. It really brings the whole show together. 

I've also been juggling through other shows, like One Piece, Pokemon, Pretty Cure and all that but my thoughts on those shows remain the same pretty much. They're enjoyable.

But hey I noticed the spring anime season is about to start and I'm looking forward to a few shows. Sound! Euphonium is one I'm really excited for and I think I'll take a look at The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. The animation doesn't seem too good but it might still be enjoyable (Nothing will top KyoAni though). I'm also gonna check out Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? and Show by Rock!! and of course Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic and the second season of Nisekoi because why not? It's probably gonna be trash though. :V Oh, and that new Digimon season. Even though I've never really watched Digimon...

Oh, the Lupin III series is airing in Japan this spring already? Good. Especially since we're getting the series first, even before Japan.

Yeah, Lupin III is kind of a big deal here in Italy.

Will watch Gintama, Sidonia, Euphonium, Uta no prince-sama, Digimon, Oreigaru and Yuki-chan.

I´m a bit worried about Digimon though, we don´t even know the release date yet

High School DxD will be my obligatory "trashy guilty pleasure that I never watch in Public",

And yo, Blood Blockade Battlefront looks pretty hype, might also check out Seraph of the End.

We all know Seraph Of The End will be well animated yet painfully medicore but we're all still going to watch it for the Sawano OST, lol. 

Yuki-Chan and Digimon Tri are definitely on my watch list, though there's a few there that have caught my eye too like Ore Monogatari and Sarusuberi.

Has anyone seen Macross? Is there a specific series of it that I should watch first, so I can understand it?

Well Winter is coming to an end, so it's time to consult...."The Chart"

8720c7c9128e.jpg

Lesse, I likes me sum Unlimited Blade Works obviously

I'll be following Unlimited Budget Works, the 2nd part of Stardust Crusaders (cause I should be caught up by then), Ninja Slayer, and Lupin lll. I'll probably also check out Blood Blockade Battlefront, Arslan Senki, Searph Of The End (for the OST as mentioned earlier), and if I hear good things about Gunslinger Stratos I'll look into that as well. I'll also probably check out the GITS Arise TV series (After watching the original OVA's just in case anything is cut for time from the show) to prepare for the upcoming movie. 

RE: Macross- If you've no issue with length, the answer's the same as with any big sci-fi anime franchise- production order. Start at the start.

Has anyone seen Macross? Is there a specific series of it that I should watch first, so I can understand it?

Start with the original, or if you want more consistently good animation the movie remake of it. You can start from either that or Frontier but I'd say the original just because it's a classic and probably worth checking out.

This is all based on what I've heard so if any Macross fans wanna say something different please do. 

Last call: Jamie Marchi, J. Michael Tatum and Jerry Jewell are coming to my local con next month. If you want an autograph from them, let me know Saturday morning.

You mean a klk dub in your language right? Because it's got several licenses besides Aniplex, I'm picking up "all the Anime" versions, there's 3 volumes to get with their own collector's boxes and they have like 9-10 episodes each as opposed to Aniplex 4 episode per volume. This also comes with the English dub and Japanese original with subtitles.

I know it's got an Australian and German release too, not sure about Italian.

I don't like the art, not so much of K-On-ness (although some of the appeal of KlK was the kinda 70's stylization it did) but man, the anatomy looks weird

Incidentally, as I've finished watching it- Gundam Reconguista in G finished yesterday. It was a nice finale, but the show's overall disappointing for one reason only- it's clear it was rushed. 26 episodes is not enough for Tomino to work with, and the result was a show that felt like it had ADHD. A sad result.

read some go nagai and comedic manga from the time, then :P they directly acknowledge it by even having characters from some 70's anime cameo in the backgrounds.

EDIT: gutsy frog, devilman, the works of fujiko f fujio, mazinger z, etc.

It's not entirely a retro thing, but it does feel like it clashes a bit more when pitted against modern moeblob aesthetics

Nothing about KLK looks really "70s" to me.

It's because imaishi is the main animator for the show, he's well known for his over the top rustic looking raw action scenes and crazy ass choreography with his stylized approach to the medium, his work is very raw looking which most 70's anime was raw since it was all hand made and painted, imaishi carries the painted and raw pencil look in his work.

For exemple, the Black Rock Shooter manga has a completly different story than the anime.

*cracks fingers and neck*

BRS manga has no relation to the anime, OVA, or game though, innocent soul was an alternate short story sequence that used the characters BRS and DM only, even then the art style was very much similar to HUKEs work to begin with so not much was lost in transition from animation to manga, I still treat it as a spin off type deal.

The manga in KLK is awful to me because I feel sushio and imaishi captured the style of the world perfectly with their take on it, the manga is riddled with questionable anatomy choices and koi koi kyun~ uguu shit that detracts from the tone the anime set.

For the record I love K-ON! Too a looooot,but klk is one series the moeblob look doesn't suit at all.

Also thanks, I knew there was a French and German klk dub, I'm glad I didn't imagine this lmao.

*cracks fingers and neck*

Gets 360 no scope Daigo Umehara style of ass-kicking.

BRS manga has no relation to the anime, OVA, or game though, innocent soul was an alternate short story sequence that used the characters BRS and DM only, even then the art style was very much similar to HUKEs work to begin with so not much was lost in transition from animation to manga, I still treat it as a spin off type deal.

At the back of the 1st french released book of innocent soul, the publisher (Panini Manga) describe the story as the adaptation of the anime, so its kind of a false advertisement.

Also thanks, I knew there was a French and German klk dub, I'm glad I didn't imagine this lmao.

Hereis the list of the french VA:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_la_Kill#Doublage

Ryuko is voiced by Fanny Bloc who is also the voice of Happy in Fairy Tail and Yugo in Wakfu... huh! Now, i really want to hear that french version, because she is really good playing as Happy. "C'hest beau l'amourrrrr!"

• Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on the anime I watched this season:

Yona of the Dawn: Terribly slow-paced at times, with the Pirates arc forming the denouement in particular need of dropping an episode or two, but I really enjoyed this for how deep Yona's character development goes; she changes a great deal over the course of the season, and it's sometimes easy to overlook that given the frequent comic moments and straightforward premise.  It won't set the world on fire, but it's a decent mix of comedy and high drama, in the end, I think, and fun enough that I hope it gets another season.

Gundam Build Fighters Try: They made some big mistakes in terms of plot structure when planning this season as opposed to the first season; there was no real villain, no real intrigue, and no real tension.  They set up some characters long in advance to do nothing, and other characters had no build-up and we were then supposed to think were important.  It was also bizarrely lacking in first season elements, to the point where it would almost have worked better as a completely stand-alone series in a new universe.  But it had some pretty cool toys and fights in there along the way, to its credit.

Your Lie in April: Not much to say except that this is a work of art, and in the final analysis, almost too good.

Yatterman Night: A big problem with this series is that it was hard to tell what it wanted to be.  The first episode was quite dark in tone, but nearly the entire remainder of the series had considerably greater comic elements.  It also wavered on whether it wanted to subvert or celebrate its Yatterman heritage.  In the end, I think that this was probably a show more to be appreciated by long-time Yatterman fans than newcomers, which is... an issue as probably many viewers would be newcomers.  Another issue is that the animation in the last episode was blatantly unfinished, which I've seen in a couple of shows now and it's always really jarring.  Some important questions remain, such as, what was the ending animation all about?

Aldnoah Zero: When this show was first announced, I assumed that it was meant to be a "choose your side" sort of show, where both sides would have a point and it would be difficult for viewers to decide how to root for.  Instead, one of the principal flaws of Aldnoah Zero has been that it is consistently far less morally ambiguous and complex than it pretends to be.  There's never any reason to support the Martians as a side, and this extends to Slaine's side in the second season, where he becomes an unabashed villain for some reason and is the only character to really pay the price for his actions when others were responsible for far worse.  It's also a cowardly show, which teases the deaths of important characters again and again but never, never has the guts to go through with it, particularly if that character is on the Terran side, from which I think only one character ever died, and that within the first couple of episodes.  They also blatantly dropped the Dr. Troyard subplot, as characters namedrop him now and then but it's never really clear what he was working on or what the point of him was.  They also seemed to respond to the reception of Inaho in the first season by giving him the analytical engine to justify how overpowered he was and making him more emotionally expressive, but the former just exacerbates the problem of how overpowered he is and the latter detracts from the only remarkable point in his personality.  The more one thinks about this show, the more flawed it obviously is.  I'll give the second season this, though - the characters, on balance, make fewer irritatingly wrong-headed decisions than in the first season, but it's still a show with significant deficiencies in terms of character design.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Not actually a this season anime, but I heard that it was actually quite good, and while magical girl shows aren't really my thing unless they've got something more than the norm going for them, this had something more than the norm going for it.  It plays with the whole idea of the monster of the week, for instance, but more significantly it has a significant disability theme, which is really interesting as disability is basically invisible in anime.  Ultimately I think it's probably going to get a lot of comparisons to a certain other magical girl show, and I think that there is a clear line of inspiration and even homage in the character designs, but ultimately this show does its own thing and does it well, although the ending is a total cop-out.  It's a curious mix of magical girl and slice-of-life, also, and while I'm not a big fan of either genre, I enjoyed the fact that I pretty much never had any idea what was going to happen next.

Now to try and figure out where I'm meant to legally watch everything that's coming out this season.  At least one popular show has already begun airing without any news on where to watch it outside of America, and on the U.K. side of things shows seem to be being split up piecemeal among all kinds of random sites (what the heck is a Viewster).  Access to anime may be improving, but the practicality of that access and particularly finding it in the first place remains a big problem.