Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Fact. I watched it on the reccomendation of a friend... and the only reason I didn't give up after the first episode was that I'm no quitter. It's just so... pointless. "Oh look, I've got myself into another embarrasing situation and now violence is going to be perpetuated against me by angry girls." Lather, rinse, and repeat (often literally, in fact, with the number of hot springs scenes) for twenty-however-many episodes, and... gaah. That's several hours of my life I'll never get back.

Elfin Lied, on the other hand... OH YEAH. Arterial blood everywhere.

I mean it. EVERYWHERE.

I bought the first three volumes of Love Hina before I couldn't take it anymore and sold them to a friend of mine. I mean, I've watched pointless anime with no direction before, but something about this show just annoyed me.

Elfen Lied... ooh. That's a emotional mind-trip and a half. Bloody mess. Cute scene that puts you in a false sense of security. Bloody mess. Cute scene that puts you in a false sense of security. Bl... I think you see where I'm going here. My friends and I had fun with it though, because we'd be watching it and we'd see who would be the first one to point at the screen and just say, "Dead" at one of the characters and see if we were right. Hilarious moments there.

Elfen Lied... ooh. That's a emotional mind-trip and a half. Bloody mess. Cute scene that puts you in a false sense of security. Bloody mess. Cute scene that puts you in a false sense of security. Bl... I think you see where I'm going here. My friends and I had fun with it though, because we'd be watching it and we'd see who would be the first one to point at the screen and just say, "Dead" at one of the characters and see if we were right. Hilarious moments there.

I always thought the creepiest thing about Elfin Lied was Nanu. She's pretty much the only non-psycho character in the entire show, and where did it get her? No limbs. I remember there's a scene where someone distracts her and she just falls to the floor as a severed torso. Yeesh.

I need to agree although I watched all of it. I think the reason it is called "one of the best anime EVAR" is because it is meant to be what created the Matrix idea and it is also very much a Boy's Anime. Girls will watch it and think "Yawn, so boring!" but guys think it is the sex.

Ooooh Blur Wolf's Rain is amazing! I really enjoyed watching that anime!

I recognize Akira as an amazing, revolutionary piece of art for the the animation itself. It has lots of fun entertaining mindfuck moments but I found the actual plot and characters rather flat and uninteresting. I'd never remember the names of the protagonists if they hadn't spent half the movie yelling it at the top of their lungs. "KKKKAANNEEDAA!!!111~TTTTEEETTSSUUUOOO!!!!11!!1"

Wolf Rain's real cool too, though a bit too emo for me sometimes.

And Elfen Lied is so awkwardly violent it's hilarious. The first five minutes of the anime is the greatest massacre in animation history.

Edited by That Crazy Bat Guy

Yeah, there's been a few moments where I just raised an eyebrow, but I like it over all. I hate the look of the bad guy with the stupid hair, -_-. I actually need to watch some more, I'm still on episode 10 only, XD. Maybe I haven't gotten to the kinda emo stuff you're talking about yet, XD.

As for FLCL, I became VERY obsessed with Canti at one point, XP. His personality and design are just too awesome to handle, =D. Sick Gibson SG Bass too, 8D!

-Blur

Pft, forget Elfen Lied (which was a good series, I have all of the individual DVDs), that series was hardly violent other than PSYCHIC BEHEADINGS. Go watch the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Second season tones down the shock factor in favor of solving the first season's established mysteries, though, and it all comes out for the better in either case. Awesome character development too; Keiichi is one badass freaking male protagonist when he's not in paranoid murderous rampage mode like all of the other characters.

Wow. I seem to have innocently started a massive argument over Akira. People have their own opinions. Don't freak out about it!

Well, if you did or even didn't like the film, I highly suggest you read the manga. There's a lot the movie left out and a lot that it changed. Things such as the relationship between Kaneda and Kei, the roles of characters such as Lady Miyako, Joker and Kaori, even Akira himself, were completely different to the movie. If you did like the film, it'll help you understand the whole story more. If you didn't like the film, it may just change your perception on it.

And... yes. Just wanted to say that. No fighting plz.

tbh I think the pacing in Akira isn't all that great, either. but the movie as a whole makes up for the shortcomings in between. people have to realize how long ago it was... it was amazing for it's time.

I recognize Akira as an amazing, revolutionary piece of art for the the animation itself. It has lots of fun entertaining mindfuck moments but I found the actual plot and characters rather flat and uninteresting. I'd never remember the names of the protagonists if they hadn't spent half the movie yelling it at the top of their lungs. "KKKKAANNEEDAA!!!111~TTTTEEETTSSUUUOOO!!!!11!!1"

And Elfen Lied is so awkwardly violent it's hilarious. The first five minutes of the anime is the greatest massacre in animation history.

Same, I never said Akira was bad though lol and I will watch the whole thing sometime.

I love Wolf's Rain but sometimes it gets so angsty it makes me cringe a little lol, but I still love Tsume.

No ones fighting lol, just discussing which is just what we should be doing in an anime thread, it's a bit boring if we all just sit here saying "I like this, this, this and this anime"n__n

I love Ebichu and everyone should watch it. What's better than a housekeeping hamster, nudity and perverts? Just google it lol

I love Ebichu and everyone should watch it. What's better than a housekeeping hamster, nudity and perverts? Just google it lol

Ebichu's hilarious, Kotono Mitsuishi does a great job of the pervy hamster.

^ yes lol! I rarely find anyone else who likes it or has even heard of it. My bestfriend and I are a little obsessed >.> she'll call me and put on the pervert voice sometimes lol

I was quite disturbed watching Elfen Lied. It was a good anime but it was just... the puppy scene had me quite upset. =(

One of the sort of mind fuck ones I enjoyed was Paranoia Agent that one had me feeling fatigued when I spent a marathon day watching it. Great anime just a bit... out there.

Edited by Eileanach

I was quite disturbed watching Elfen Lied. It was a good anime but it was just... the puppy scene had me quite upset. =(

That puppy scene was one of the saddest things I've ever seen and certainly pulled at my heart strings. I loved Elfen Lied for it's story though.

I love it for the story too but that scene had me wincing and crying quite a bit as it was just too harsh. I think I would totally go all psychotic if someone dared lay a finger or anything else on my dog.

^ same but it's a great scene for that exact reason, it makes you relate to the character even more. If it upset you that much, imagine how the character would feel, therefore you understand why she's goes nuts.

I highly recommend it Mollfie it starts off one way and then totally messes with your head and goes in an entirely different direction.

I won't lie the creators of Elfen Lied are sick puppies for that scene but it is very well done and it is instantly recognisable and always starts up conversations so I think it is safe to assume that it is an extremely well done scene even if it does rip your heart out and show it to you.

Excel Saga is great... in small doses. I can only take so much at a time. It's just TOO over the top. The running gags like Hyatte dying all the time are great, though. And speaking of cruelty to dogs... it's got the best end credits sequence ever.

Edited by Snatcher2047

I contend that the saddest scene in any cartoon, ever, occurs in the 2006 version of Kanon. Like Love Hina, this was something I was tricked into watching - by the opening scene in the first episode that seemed to promise a grimy psychological mystery series. But it's not. It's essentially the same as Love Hina, but without the comedy, and with every single character struggling under crazy psychoses of existential loneliness and depression. FUN!

But I digress. I challenge even the stoniest-hearted to watch the scene where Makoto dies and not feel like you've been kicked in the stomach. IT ARE SO SAD!!!1! ;_;

Excel Saga is great... in small doses. I can only take so much at a time. It's just TOO over the top. The running gags like Hyatte dying all the time are great, though. And speaking of cruelty to dogs... it's got the best end credits sequence ever.

I had to review Excel Saga so I watched it in two sittings and I adore it.

Has anyone ever seen the anime Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? I thought the story was really good. For those unfamiliar, here's the story:

Regardless, the story focuses on a kid, Keiichi, who moved to a rather small town in Japan. However, mysterious murders have been occurring in the town, and somehow are related to his friends. Keiichi, begins to investigate the events... And each times it ends... Another events starts up...

Mollfie, while it' been a while since I've last seen Excel Saga. I remember that anime being really crazy, especially the last episode.

Edited by Kevin

*gulp*

I already have problems being constantly sad, so I try to steer clear from the emotional/creepy stuff. But the anime style and the cute characters still draw me in, whether it's emotional/creepy or not.

I did buy the first volume of Elfen Lied thinking "Okay, I'll give this a try." I knew it was dark and creepy, but I was uncharacteristically brave when I got it. Then I got it home and put it on, figured I'd check the DVD preview of the next volume and then...........Holy Crap!!

I switched the cover to the reverse side, which had a cute picture on it. Then put in my collection and haven't touched it since....

I do like the comedies like Excel Saga best though, it was often hard to follow, but I still liked it. :)