Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Same here. :)

There's something charming about a good slice-of-life anime. Whether they are trying to get to know a certain love interest, follow there dreams or just take each day as it comes.

I do prefer things to be light hearted though and if it's a comedy it's even better. Azumanga Diaoh, Lucky Star and Comic Party, to name a few.

Onegai Teacher was alot slice-of-life like also, but considering the main character is an alien it might not be classed as one.

Still another show I liked though. :)

Azumanga and Lucky Star are both fantastic, especially with the rather obscure humor. I also love Strawberry Marshmallow because it's very gentle, and Yotsuba because it's quite slow but amazingly funny.

Azumanga and Lucky Star are both fantastic, especially with the rather obscure humor. I also love Strawberry Marshmallow because it's very gentle, and Yotsuba because it's quite slow but amazingly funny.

Oh yes! Azumanga and Lucky Star are two of my favorite due to their humor.

Has anyone seen the movie Arashi No Yoru Ni (One Stormy Night)? If not, I highly recommend you do so. It's a brilliant movie, especially in the animation area.

^ I keep meaning to!

I highly recommend Yotsuba (manga) to you Kevin! It's adorable, Yotsuba is a five year old and it's just her view on the world and her learning about life and such, it's so sweet and so so funny. It's done by the same person who did Azumanga.

^ I keep meaning to!

I highly recommend Yotsuba (manga) to you Kevin! It's adorable, Yotsuba is a five year old and it's just her view on the world and her learning about life and such, it's so sweet and so so funny. It's done by the same person who did Azumanga.

I shall look into it! Hey, I'm curious, you like Tora Dora, right?

I really want to read Yotsuba&, and I tried looking for it on Amazon but they only have it used and new, and it's really expensive as well.. ;-;

I think ADV's license for the series got transfered or something. You can always read the chapters online at 4chan.biz (nothing to do with 4chan's main site, by the way, so it is very safe for work and user-friendly). Yotsuba&!, by the way, is quite a wonderful series. I loved Azumanga Daioh because it was very humorous while at the same time being all heart with no drama (I cried during the final episode).

Honestly though, I couldn't stand Lucky Star from what I've seen of it, due to all of the anime/game references flying completely over my head. It's basically a show about otaku for otaku, and while I am a fan of anime, I can't find much appeal in it myself.

Generally these days I cannot stand anime due to most of it having really cheap looking animation, and being an animation studio that bugs me. Of course, there are a few that I hold dear despite this :P. I used to be a big DragonBall nut, but around the middle of Z I lost interest. The original though was something I grew up watching so I consider it a series that I'd watch in small doses just for nostalgia sake.

I really like watching Hellsing though. Hellsing Ultimate is absolutely awesome to look at, even if the animation is a bit meh most of the time...I just like how it mimics the art style of the manga.

Gurren Lagann has to be my favourite of them all though, I just went out and bought volume 1 the other day. It is slightly cheesy, but it feels like a poke at most anime and I love it! The robots are also a huge draw, since I think robots are awesomely great. Others I like would have to be Gun X Sword, Trigun, and I know there is another one I just can't seem to remember at the moment. Afro Samurai was alright too.

On the whole though (prep h! rorooooargh), I like manga much better than anime. I really like the style that is used in the animes/mangas, and it has been a heavy influence on what I do draw, but I just cannot stand the animation. So I'd rather read it, where everything feels much more dynamic and the action DOES seem much better. Then again it could be because it is in a comic book form, where I am expecting still images all the time :P

Not trying to knock on anime, since there is a lot of crap western animation too (did I mention that I think all the lazy western animation done in flash just plain SUCKS?). I'm very picky about what I watch though.

being an animation studio that bugs me

omg you're an actual animation studio!? That's amazing! lol =3

lol I do agree that some anime is badly animated, but there are a lot of good ones out there, just depends on the studio. Just as there are a lot of badly drawn manga.

You can read Yotsuba here http://koiwai.biz/eng/ but it's a fan translation so I'd still advise you buy the proper manga. Plus it's better to own the actual books anyway :P it's better that way.

I never really liked Hellsing, I watched the whole series but found it quite boring really. The character designs are great and the story is ok. But overall I didn't find it that gripping really.

I've only watched the first episode of TTGL cos I had to put it to one side because of Uni.

also

AkiraTetsuoCrushCat.jpg

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I adore Azumanga in both anime and manga forms. Very few anime shows can be that good without the inclusion of giant mecha, alien babes, talking mascot animals, magic or all the above, but AD does it beautifully.

Lucky Star is good, but not as good as I was hoping. I think it gained most of it's popularity just from it's opening dance sequence/song. Episode 16 is classic with all the Haruhi parodies, though.

AkiraTetsuoCrushCat.jpg

LMAO

Edited by Snatcher2047

Mollfie I love Excel Saga it's one of the first anime I watched in my older years. XD I think it is glorious Hail Il Palazzo!!

I have always liked Pokemon Digimon and Sonic x even though it is very cheesey. I the stories in Digimon and the characters. Naruto has been a favourite as well.

Has anyone seen the movie Arashi No Yoru Ni (One Stormy Night)? If not, I highly recommend you do so. It's a brilliant movie, especially in the animation area.

Watched it and it was good. Pretty much like The Fox and The Hound, but with a goat and a wolf. A very cute movie and nice lighting effects and animation.

They should put that in my yard instead.

That looks so awesome. T0T

Speaking of Gundam, I purchased the first 24 episodes of G Gundam yesterday during a trip to the mall. Can't believe I missed this when it was on Toonami. So far it seems like it'll kick much ass.

Edited by gunthetra

Just finished watching Gurren Lagann in subs and I have to say that its good, addicting and funny. I am pissed that it ended since I wanted to see more. My favorite character is Kamina and then Viral.

Edited by Shade737

I also love Strawberry Marshmallow because it's very gentle, and Yotsuba because it's quite slow but amazingly funny.

Oh yeah, this is an Anime and Manga Thread, I totally fergot about the Manga part, and I've read both Strawberry Marshmallow and Yotsuba, and loved them both. :) Although I don't have many volumes of Strawberry Marshmallow, and I have all the volumes available of Yotsuba and am annoyed that no others of surfaced. It's just not the same when reading Manga on a computer. T_T

Has anyone ever seen the anime Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni?

Actually I have heard of Higurashi, which might be surprising as I've already said what a coward I am. I came across it as a fansub some time ago, and the banner that was displaying the series was very misleading. The characters where drawn really cute and some screenshots showed some silly comical looking moments making me think it was a comedy.

Anyways, once the first episode started it was all dark and you could hear sinister laughter and a person would slowly come into view with blood stains everywhere.

......And the first thing I was thinking was "........is this the same show?.......it can't be?.....can it?..."

I did some looking into the series and it seems it's not as horrid as Elfen Lied, although I haven't watched a full episode yet though, so I'm not sure......

But about Gurren Lagann, I haven't seen that yet, but maybe I'll give it a try?

Strawberry Marshmallow is one of my favorites of the past few years in both anime and manga form. Of course, I like anything with a ferret in it since I used to have a few. So down to earth and easy to watch, it's one of the few shows I can put in my DVD player any day at any time without so much as a second thought of "Am I in the mood to watch this or not?"

omg you're an actual animation studio!? That's amazing! lol =3

Haha, yeah, I'm a studio 8). I was tired when I wrote that, but I meant to say student xD.

I thought it was impressive that a studio could type, Thirteen.

Hmm, the thing I like about this topic is for all the anime I do not know I can go and watch it and see how I feel about getting it on DVD.

^ why thank you, this is a rather nice topic to win.

My friends an animation student too, she's currently applying for work experience at Gainax, Ghibli etc.

Everybody here should check out Kino no Tabi, which is a philosophical tale about a traveler and a talking motorcycle, and they venture through various (fictional) countries around the world, observing the behavior of humanity and discovering why ugliness can be beautiful. Beautiful art and atmosphere abound, and there's a wonderful sense of serenity throughout, despite all of the disturbing occurrences that appear during Kino's travels.

I watched the first episode of Ride Back and ...it was alright.

This seasons anime all look a bit boring though. Hopefully the next season will be better!