Awoo.

Iran puts captured RQ-170 on display

CrownSlayers Shadow

You know, it’s one thing to “shoot down” the top secret spy drone of the imperialist zionist heathen enemy. But come on Iran--stop bragging. Iran today released a two-and-a-half minute video and the first images

depicting the RQ-170 stealth drone that it claims it shot down on Sunday. It’s the first visual proof that leaders of the Islamic Republic are actually holding the drone it their possession.

If you missed this latest diplomatic dust-up: on Sunday Iran claimed its military had downed an American drone, a claim that U.S. officials somewhat backed up by saying controllers in Afghanistan had recently lost contact with a drone flying in that country and that--maybe just maybe--that drone accidentally wandered into Iranian airspace.

The plot thickened when the U.S confirmed that in fact the missing drone was indeed an RQ-170 (as Iran had originally claimed), a top secret drone designed to cruise undetected at up to 50,000 feet. It’s the same drone that offered aerial recon before and during the raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound. And it’s something the U.S. intelligence infrastructure would likely not like shared with its adversaries.

And now, as you can see in the video below, it certainly appears that a RQ-170 is in Iranian custody. The release of the images and video coincides with Iran’s lodging an official diplomatic protest over the American incursion into its sovereign airspace.

So we know the Iranians really have the drone and that the drone appears to be intact. Now comes the part where we, the public, try to parse the posturing (on both sides) from the truths. For instance, Iran claims its air defenses detected and shot down the drone as soon as it entered Iranian airspace. Yet the drone in the video looks highly un-shot-up and mostly un-crashed. The official in the video is apparently explaining this away by claiming Iran’s military brought the drone down with the intention of causing minimum damage. Gravity generally doesn’t bend its rules based upon intention, but okay.

And then there’s the fact that the drone was recovered some 140 miles from the border. Had the drone been engaged just as it crossed into Iranian airspace, one could envision it limping its way in-country for a distance. But more than 100 miles?

Of course, the U.S. seems to be trying to sell the idea that it hasn’t a clue how the drone got into Iranian airspace, so I’m not trying to throw too many stones here. Suffice it to say that Iran is currently holding a piece of super-stealthy U.S. intelligence equipment that’s supposed to be secret, and whatever the truth is we’re probably not going to hear it in its entirety from anyone. Enjoy the video--after all, it’s also your first up-close look at the RQ-170.

Source:

[Popsci.com]

So...wow. This obviously can't be good.

Now I'm wondering if they're going to give it to China at some point. Iran doesn't seem to be at a level to reverse-engineer it, thank goodness, but this is can't be overlooked if they decide to give it to someone. Some secrets aren't very well kept, now are they?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I bet the Iranian leadership is beside itself with joy right now; getting their hands on a piece of brand new American stealth drone technology should enable them to reverse engineer it over the coming months and years, and apply any technological benefits it provides to its own young fleet of UAVs it has been developing; they may even develop their own version of the drone on top of modifying its fleets

The Chinese and Russian leaderships will likely soon be sending out feelers to Iran, so that they may all benefit from this unexpected boon.

America's going to want to send in a special forces team to destroy that drone, me thinks.

Still think it should have been rigged with self-destructive explosives just in case something like this were to happen.

• Thumbs Up 8

As mentioned, that's looking mighty fine for a drone that was shot down from 50,000 feet.

I know little about aviation and weapons and less about combining them, so if anyone can explain how its in such great condition, I'm all ears.

As mentioned, that's looking mighty fine for a drone that was shot down from 50,000 feet.

I know little about aviation and weapons and less about combining them, so if anyone can explain how its in such great condition, I'm all ears.

A simple explaination would be that Iran some how stole it.

That thing not even being dented obviously couldn't have been shot at nor could it have crashed, and we obviously weren't planning to let any other countries have it. As for how they stole it, I have no clue.

I have to imagine that they won't have it for too long, especially not if they are so dumb as to make a big show out of how they have it.

And no way in hell was it shot down. Not only does Iran not have the capability of even doing so, but the biggest piece they would have been able to recover would have been the size of a dinner plate. My guess is that a computer fuckup somehow led to it landing in Iran airspace.

I have to imagine that they won't have it for too long, especially not if they are so dumb as to make a big show out of how they have it.

They apparently forgot we manage to raid Osama's hideout in Pakistan and not get found out till after the operation was finished. They must really like painting a target on themselves, don't they.

Speaking of which, they should've already found out about the Stuxnet bug that screwed up their nuclear program, haven't they?

And no way in hell was it shot down. Not only does Iran not have the capability of even doing so,

I read this and I was instantly reminded of their "Flying Boat" that I remembered being shown on MSNBC for some reason, and laughed.

Of course, their lie couldn't be any more transparent of how they got it.

Time for the U.N. to send another of their scary angry letters. Can we please just dish out the napalm already??

We'd kill innocent civilians in the process though (Yes, I know you were just joking).

It seems Iran is angry at us killing Osama. Either that or it's an "AMERIKAN CONSPERIACY!11!1!"

Also: I read the comments in the article you linked CSS, and it seems BBC got info that Iran electronically hijacked the RQ.

Edited by PSI Freeze

They apparently forgot we manage to raid Osama's hideout in Pakistan and not get found out till after the operation was finished.

And that was despite the massive helicopter crash.

Also: I read the comments in the article you linked CSS, and it seems BBC got info that Iran electronically hijacked the RQ.

I'm more liable to believe that they threw stones at it.

Edited by ChristmasJack
  • Thumbs Up 2

What is Iran smoking? Do they have a deathwish? Pity most of the people are too indoctrinated to rise up like Sira. sleep.png

I think it has more to do with the fact that Iran has a thought police with power somewhere between that of China's and the Gestapo.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Iran has a thought police with power somewhere between that of China's and the Gestapo.

and North Korea! wink.png

Didn't they blow it up before they left because it unique stealth plating or something?huh.png

North Korea is much worse than Iran. In every way.

Can't argue with that!smile.png

America so mad

Though I am quite intrigued into how Iran could've hijacked it.

Edited by Cero Claus

Crash? I thought they purposely destroyed it for...whatever reason they had after the got out.

Wouldn't a helicopter crash kill the occupants? Either way, an explosion occurring right in a country and they find out after the operation took place just says that Iran does not know how to troll. laugh.png

I'm more liable to believe that they threw stones at it.

And even that can't cover something in pristine condition like this.

One of the choppers the SEAL team was using crashed, and they blew up the remains because it was a stealth helicopter.

One of the choppers the SEAL team was using crashed, and they blew up the remains because it was a stealth helicopter.

Oh, well that explains why they blew it up. I thought they did that to both helicopters after they landed, but I must have overlooked hearing the one that crashed in the operation. Makes much more sense now.

Speaking of that stealth helicopter, can you do any serious study on just the tail of it to reverse engineer it? Because I read that China got hold of some of the pieces from Pakistan, and I don't think just a tail is enough for study. Just as I don't expect Iran to be so much as able to understand how the RQ works for years to come. (before we come in and destroy/get it back anyway.)

One thing about the Iranians.... they do have a bit of a sense of humour *points to their version of the US flag on the banner by the drone*

Still think it should have been rigged with self-destructive explosives just in case something like this were to happen.

This. You don't bring your advanced technology into enemy territory without a way to destroy it before it gets in their hands. Even Crysis knew that.