Awoo.

Sonic Editoral for East of Nowhere (Currently on hiatus)

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

So your looking for help in deciding which key points are worth addressing?

It'll be interesting to see an endeavor like this that has to be informative and representative of the fanbase at the same time. You gotta choose your parameters wisely.

So your looking for help in deciding which key points are worth addressing?

Actually, I'm mainly looking for more voices than my own to give their thoughts on the key points. Pick a point and make your assertion, in other words.

If you have something to say about the Characters and their handling and reception, that's one. Or if you have something to say about the gameplay from the series over the course of it's history, that's another. If you have something regarding the fandom (and try not to be to high and mighty about it), you can do so as well.

If you have other points you think need to be address we can see how it stacks up to stand as separate from the others. I don't think length will be any problem, but I think it would be best if we try to keep it from being longer than necessary.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Why do you want to jump through hoops for random blog person X?

I don't know who this person is, nor do I know the blog he writes for or if it's anything of significant importance for anyone to notice other than fans of whatever subject matter that the author is writing about.

I just don't see the point in bowing to this requst, regardless as to what the subject is or how well it's written, it's likely that one way or another it'll be used and twisted in the future to 'prove someone right.' But moreso because I don't understand why the request is being made in the first place?

So he got one comment on his reivew and he decided to join the forum to defend it and only ended up digging a bigger hole for himself because ultimately his conclusions and statements were for the most part totally wrong? Now he wants others to do a study for him?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can only wish you good luck, comrade. Make us proud.

Might as well argue for the fandom if you must choose one, though. Remember Sturgeon's Law well.

Edited by Soma

Why do you want to jump through hoops for random blog person X?

Because I think it would be a great way for us to represent the fanbase? I'm no fool to think that the fandom represents itself a lot more than we would think, but I honestly don't see why I wouldn't want to go through with this.

I just don't see the point in bowing to this requst, regardless as to what the subject is or how well it's written, it's likely that one way or another it'll be used and twisted in the future to 'prove someone right.' But moreso because I don't understand why the request is being made in the first place?

So he got one comment on his reivew and he decided to join the forum to defend it and only ended up digging a bigger hole for himself because ultimately his conclusions and statements were for the most part totally wrong? Now he wants others to do a study for him?

Firstly, it's not a request I'm bowing over. I didn't have to take it, but I saw more benefit to it than the cons.

Secondly, although he defended his points, I wouldn't call it digging a bigger hole than it was a difference of opinion. It's not so much a study than it is bringing things to light, which I think a good representation from the fans would be a good idea for even with the pros and cons.

Still doesn't sound too appealing, I know, but I can't put it any better than that. You don't have to contribute if you don't want, but I figured I'd get a larger voice than just myself.

• Thumbs Up 5

As a person who's been creating walls of text to this guy in the first place, I'm more than willing to contribute to the editorial.

However, I must say the way this is worded makes it sound like we're out to defend the Sonic franchise, and I don't believe that should be the point of the article. In fact, if it's not for in defense of the Sonic series then I don't really know what the point of writing the article is for.

I'd like to have some clarification before I decide to throw in my two-cents.

I would be willing to help out as well, when given the chance I can gladly give my two-cents to you should you require it. I responded myself to the same topic on how Sonic might not have made it without said 'storyline' addition and I'd be glad to expand on my experiences in the gaming universe and how characters have added to the story based aspect, as well as anything else I could contribute. Of course, that being said I'd also like clarification just like Marco.

Edited by Semjax

As a person who's been creating walls of text to this guy in the first place, I'm more than willing to contribute to the editorial.

However, I must say the way this is worded makes it sound like we're out to defend the Sonic franchise, and I don't believe that should be the point of the article. In fact, if it's not for in defense of the Sonic series then I don't really know what the point of writing the article is for.

I'd like to have some clarification before I decide to throw in my two-cents.

I guess "defense" would be the wrong way to word it considering we are quite the broken base.

I guess an "enlightenment" would be the better way to put it? There are some things folks outside may or may not know from within the inside of the fandom or even those that aren't too deep into the fandom that may have other views about the franchise, and considering that this is one of the most popular franchises in gaming despite his fallings, it would be a way to let others outside get a better clue on other areas of the fandom. The Classic side seems to dominate a lot in the gaming media, so hopefully this would be a way to bring the other sides into a stronger light.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess "defense" would be the wrong way to word it considering we are quite the broken base.

I guess an "enlightenment" would be the better way to put it? There are some things folks outside may or may not know from within the inside of the fandom or even those that aren't too deep into the fandom that may have other views about the franchise, and considering that this is one of the most popular franchises in gaming despite his fallings, it would be a way to let others outside get a better clue on other areas of the fandom. The Classic side seems to dominate a lot in the gaming media, so hopefully this would be a way to bring the other sides into a stronger light.

Alright then, That's enough clarification to get me on board.I would gladly extend my help to allow other people to perhaps see enlightenment on certain aspects from our point of view.

I think that the reviewers hate towards the characters is just because of their Adventure era gameplay, and now they hate their guts.

In the Genesis days, weren't Tails and Knuckles loved? Fans loved how they could play as Sonic's friends and go to secret areas. They loved how they played similar, yet different to Sonic.

But when Sonic Adventure came out, with Treasure Hunting, Stealth, Shooting, and... FISHING, People hated it! They hated how they had to play as Other characters with BORING Gameplay.

And with Sonic Adventure 2, it WORSENED with the fact you HAD To keep switching from Character to Character, when all you wanted was to play as Sonic and Shadow.

And with that, Fans began to hate all of Sonic's friends because of this, and trying to make stupid reasons for hating others.

But what about Tails and Knuckles? Weren't they Loved? Are they hated too? And Shadow, he was Popular! But now....

If SEGA Brought back the chance to play as our favorite characters again, I'm sure it would be fun to play as them. But all the reviewers complaining about "SONIC'S ______ FRIENDS" have scarred them, now they're afraid to do so.

EDIT: Note, I don't have any problem with the alternate gameplay. I kinda liked it.

Edited by tsz11

"Enlightenment". I'm all for that.

As for the Tails/Knuckles love... Knuckles was generally loved by fans and critics alike, but if I remember right, Tails was a bit hit and miss due to his AI. I know personally I -hated- Tails when doing Bonus Stages in Sonic 2, and he can really screw you over when fighting boss battles.

Also, I believe there should be a "What went wrong" along the list of points.

As for the Tails/Knuckles love... Knuckles was generally loved by fans and critics alike, but if I remember right, Tails was a bit hit and miss due to his AI. I know personally I -hated- Tails when doing Bonus Stages in Sonic 2, and he can really screw you over when fighting boss battles.

Also, I believe there should be a "What went wrong" along the list of points.

I also would like to contribute to the editoral. Is the editoral going to be posted so SEGA can get to it?

I need some time to think this through and write my thoughts. I'm one of the vocal bunch who is getting tired of all the 'shitty friends' bashing, the pathetic lack of story, Sonic solo titles, etc. as of late and I would like to give my opinion on it.

Edited by candied sugar plum1984

I also would like to contribute to the editoral. Is the editoral going to be posted so SEGA can get to it?

No, it's not going to be posted so SEGA can get to it, but they are more than welcome to read it on their spare time. If they feel like taking action based on the editorial, that's up to them.

I'd love to help. I guess this would be the topic to post our opinions and analysis?

Yeah. I just needed to see who's going to contribute before we make our analysis and opinions. Probably should've said that first, but eh, at least you got a head start.

But let's wait and see who's all going to contribute. And you may be needed to trim down your post if necessary Indigo, but wait and see first.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to contribute if I can. :) Is there a certain date people should post by? I'd like to think this out a little first, figure out what I really want to say.

But let's wait and see who's all going to contribute. And you may be needed to trim down your post if necessary Indigo, but wait and see first.

Sure thing. Like I said, I'm fine if we only take out bits and pieces. I just wanted to make sure very detail was addressed.

Edited by Holiday Rush

When are you posting it? I would like to help out, but I'm not sure if I can find the time to do so.

I actually really like that idea. It'll be a great way to tie back to the whole reason Dead3ye came to this forum in the first place; we, as fans, can accept criticism critics give our favorite franchise. The problem is formed when Sonic's negative reception forms a bandwagon appeal in which it becomes popular to complain about things that are entirely inconsequential just because "it's the cool thing to do".

I'd love to be apart of this thing. Getting a chance for other people outside the fanbase to see what we're really like will paint a very pretty picture to the public! Maybe eliminating a lot of stereotypes!smile.png

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog

I'd love to be apart of this thing. Getting a chance for other people outside the fanbase to see what we're really like will paint a very pretty picture to the public! Maybe eliminating a lot of stereotypes!smile.png

That's...a little tricky. To be frank, this isn't going to fully paint a picture to the public that we're not a broken base, and we can't really try to cover it up. Even more, if you ask me, I think we should point out that we fans are know probably more than anyone how split the fandom is.

At the same time, we can't fully speak for the fandom. At the least we can do is speak as a group representing SSMB, which is a part of the fandom. We can show that for every bad fan out there, there are plenty of good ones to balance them out.

Maybe that wasn't the best way to put it, but you see what I mean.