Awoo.

Should Taxman take on Knuckles Chaotix?

VO.SUPER

I know this game isn't as beloved as Sonic CD, but I know that there are a few people who rather liked the game. It's also one of the few Sonic games that has never been ported outside of its own console. But I guess the basic question is if Taxman should try his hand remaking this game?

I vote a yes. Not one of the best Sonic games but a new generation needs a "legal" means of experiencing it. And just like with Sonic CD add new features. Sonic and Tails, and an actual good ending, one that leaves the characters with amnesia so we can finally tie it with Heroes properly.

• Thumbs Up 2

If they redo the layouts a bit, and make the combi-ring thing optional, then yes. Chaotix and it's content would highly benefit from a better set of Sonic physics, combined with those other things I just mentioned.

In before "but then it might as well be another game", which I come back with "but the content is all pretty much already made", and "At one point there were two new levels altogether planned for the Sonic CD remake (and only didn't make it due to not being completed in time), so I don't think layout changing would matter much".

Plus, it'd take good content and put it in a good game. How is that a bad idea?

Edited by Azublitzen

I vote a yes. Not one of the best Sonic games but a new generation needs a "legal" means of experiencing it. And just like with Sonic CD add new features. Sonic and Tails, and an actual good ending, one that leaves the characters with amnesia so we can finally tie it with Heroes properly.

But according to Sega the events of Knuckles Chaotix aren't canon and the Team Chaotix from there isn't the same as Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, if he wants to have a go then by all means. He shouldn't be forced to do it if it doesn't interest him though.

But according to Sega the events of Knuckles Chaotix aren't canon and the Team Chaotix from there isn't the same as Heroes.

Putting relevant article on standby...

But if THAT'S the case, then how come:

21nfm02.jpg

As for porting Chaotix... a digital download port would be nice.

A Taxman port with all that effort? I don't think it's worth the trouble.

And sorry Azu, but changing the level design makes it a glorified ROM Hack, and keeps it from becoming an actual port.

Hence why we need a remake/port to clear that up. Amnesia, why wouldn't that work?

Azu is arguing with himself. Impressive.

I vote for yes too.

For reasons that have already been stated and I just love the unique characters and abilities, as well as Metal Sonic. It was also 2 player, which was nice. smile.png

I've also never successfully completed the game and a remake would be an incentive to have another go.

And sorry Azu, but changing the level design makes it a glorified ROM Hack, and keeps it from becoming an actual port.

Adding Tails and the S2 Spindash has been done enough to make it stand under title of "glorified ROM-hack" as well.

Azu is arguing with himself. Impressive.

What in blue spheres are you going on about?

Edited by Azublitzen

21nfm02.jpg

Well, the game was made to celebrate the Sonic series 20th anniversary not the Sonic series canon 20th anniversary and there is also music and stages from 06 in there and that doesn't make it canon.

Edited by Tmsp

Adding Tails and the S2 Spindash has been done enough to make it stand under title of "glorified ROM-hack" as well.

Those are lovely add-ons and extras. That's like adding an extra side-dish to the main course.

Dynamically changing level design and physics is like replacing your main course of lemon-zest haddock with Salisbury steak. I mean, the steak is obviously better, but it's not haddock.

Well, the game was made to celebrate the Sonic series 20th anniversary not the Sonic series canon 20th anniversary and there is also music and stages from 06 in there.

Sonic 2006 is canon now, didn't you know?

Edited by Holiday Rush

Using music from a game does not make said game canon. Using that line of logic would make Sonic Spinball canon as well.

Those are lovely add-ons and extras. That's like adding an extra side-dish to the main course.

Dynamically changing level design and physics is like replacing your main course of lemon-zest haddock with Salisbury steak. I mean, the steak is obviously better, but it's not haddock.

Edited by Azublitzen

35mpt0y.jpg

"I never thought I'd find myself in Crisis City again"

Direct quote from Generations.

So yeah, they accidentally your precious canon.

Edited by Tmsp

And this is why I brought up the fact that there were gonna be two whole new levels in SCD; changing the layouts to already existed is child's play in comparison if you're gonna compare it to a ROM-hack.

Edited by Holiday Rush

Those are additions, they don't change the core level design of the game one bit. Then there's also the fact that, well, they never actually put those levels in there BECAUSE it wouldn't be faithful to the original.

Adding levels wouldn't have made it a port either. It would have been an remake / enhancement; like how this Chaotix game would be.

That wasn't the main reason they didn't include those levels, by the way. It was due to them not being finished before it was time to finalize the game and release it. The way Taxman worded the comment about "because it wasn't in the original" made it sound like that wasn't a major issue. If it was, then why would've he went that far with making those stages in the first place?

The improvements are minor and the game is still workable. Putting those physics in Chaotix won't work out unless you change the levels to fit them, in which case you may as well not even bother calling it a port.

Redirecting the statement from above. It'd be moreso an enhancement of the original than a port, by any means. And whenever you have all these characters with their own moves, a good concept with already made graphics and music, and bad gameplay; then it's kind of for the best to just make it a remake/enhancement.

On that note, Chaotix physics are still "workable" like SCD's (don't get me wrong, SCD's physics >>> Chaotix's), but it doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit with S2/3K physics applied, especially since that seems to be what they were aiming for outside of the rubber-banding ring gimmick. I've even heard people say SCD feels much different with the new physics applied, so that gives all the more reason of applying it.

Knuckles Chaotix is a fun game, held down only by its sprawling level layouts and lack of an ending (besides the bad one). The controls, aethetic, and sound design are all there, and are all great. It just falls short of being one of the better Sonic sidescrollers, is all.

That said, I'd have to be stupid to pass up an opportunity to play a slightly enhanced port, and I honestly think that Sonic fans are missing out on an important piece of history if they have yet to play this game. Considering the only way to play it right now is on an actual 32X or an emulator, a taxman port could go a long way towards getting the game some well deserved attention.

Edited by Legendary Pine Tree
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm still currently searching for a 32X & the Knuckles' Chaotix (I know where the 32X is available, but just not KC). I've done the same for the Mega CD in order to get the original Sonic CD with the JP soundtrack & I already owned the American (PC) version of SCD in Gems Collection.

But for the newer generation of gamers, then it's a definite yes from me for a KC port/or even remake!

Edited by Hyper-Shan

21nfm02.jpg

>Implying the presence of music cements a game's presence in the canon timeline

If that's the case, then Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball is canon as well. In addition to Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island, seeing as Sonic Adventure and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I both used remastered tracks from that game.

Iizuka flat-out stated that the events of Chaotix were not canon, and the characters of Espio, Charmy, and Vector made their first canonical appearance in Sonic Heroes.

35mpt0y.jpg

"I never thought I'd find myself in Crisis City again"

Direct quote from Generations.

There was such an unbelievably minuscule amount of thought put into the overall writing process of Generations that I can hardly take a single line of dialogue from a non-story cutscene as canonical evidence towards anything in the series, especially when that one said line of dialogue contradicts the entirety of five entire games. It even contradicts Sonic the Hedgehog, the game in which you claim it further proves canon, in the fact that Solaris' removal from the timeline completely wiped everybody's memory of the events that transpired in said timeline. Sure, a little bit a deja-vu has occurred on quite a few people's ends, but to remember exact locations, even down to their very name is way out of the question.

If Blaze had any recollection of the events that transpired in that erased timeline, it directly contradicts previously established canon from Rush series and would have led them to take a very different direction with Blaze as a character entirely. (I've never had any friends due to my duties... I've lived a life of loneliness and solitude! No, wait! I did have a friend! In another timeline! With a silver psychokinetic hedgehog in a burning city being perpetually attacked by a red hot lava monster!)

ON TOPIC: I would be more than okay with Taxman re-releasing an enhanced remake of Chaotix. It would give some more attention to a lesser-known third party title in the franchise, and I certainly don't see any harm that could come from them making it more available to the general public that never owned a Sega 32X.

Edited by Hunter the Christmas Fan

Re: Chaotix being non-canon

Retcons happen. Classic Sonic is now Sonic when he was younger. They can retcon Chaotix into canon if they really want to.