Awoo.

What ever happened to Hyper Sonic?

Shyanne Firefox

This came to me while I was working on a request for someone. What ever happened to Hyper Sonic? Why has SEGA chosen to leave him out of the games completely? I personally would like to see him make a come back. Just have a game where it takes more than just going Super Sonic to defeat Eggman (or whoever is the final boss at the time). What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

He

and died.

But seriously, I'm not too bothered by his absence. When Super Sonic is playable in stages, he already makes the game easy enough without extra powers and distracting flashing colours and large spinning white stars. I don't think he's really needed for final boss fights either.

There's nothing remotely interesting about Hyper Sonic. He doesn't have any unique abilities to justify his existence as a separate stage from Super Sonic and he looks pretty much identical; he's just even shinier and even more invincible, and that's boring from both a storytelling and a gameplay standpoint. DBZ-style super form escalation is absolutely the last thing this any series needs.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega probably added in Hyper Sonic just for the added replay value and realized it was redundant with Super Sonic afterwords.

Probably.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because he wasn't really a serious character, just a bonus invented so that there'd be a reward in lock-on S3&K for playing both the Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles special stages. He's barely distinguished from Super Sonic, either graphically or in terms of his power set. And the terms under which he appeared have never been replicated - there have never been any further lock-on relationships between a game and its sequel.

If they wanted to include him in the plot, they'd basically have to reinvent him to be really distinct from Super Sonic so that you could honestly say he'd be able to overcome something that Super Sonic can't; "more power" is not in itself a convincing argument for his necessity from a plot perspective. But let's say they did want to include him in the plot. Sonic would first have to get all the Chaos Emeralds, fail to beat the villain as Super Sonic, do something else to empower the Chaos Emeralds into Super Emeralds, and then get into another fight with the villain. The second phase is basically redundant; it's just the first phase over again, but disguised as being more important. So there's your answer. Hyper Sonic, from a narrative perspective, just isn't necessary. Getting him and using him doesn't do anything meaningfully different from getting and using Super Sonic.

If they end up using some kind of lock-on link between episodes of Sonic 4, he may return - but even then, he would be exactly the same as in S3&K: A slightly more overpowered bonus with no real identity. He's basically just one of those costumes that gives you extra powers in a New Game+ for other games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually... You know, there wouldn't be a problem having both Super Sonic and Hyper Sonic.

Think about it. Beat the game (plot involves the Master Emerald somehow), get 7 Chaos Emeralds, get Super in-game, have him involved in the Final boss, as per usual, and play as him in the levels.

Accomplish another special condition, get Extra Boss/True Ending (Super not involved!), SEGA adds Hyper for the battle and makes Hyper more distinct and unique other than a simple souped-up Super, and you play as Hyper Sonic uniquely for that fight and nowhere else in-game.

Everybody wins?

Edited by BlizzardJeffhog
  • Thumbs Up 7

He hasn't appeared again because there's no point. Hyper was only created as a bonus for locking on Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, and now there's no real point to it. Plotwise, it wouldn't fit in unless SEGA wanted to take a big step back and start doing DBZ-style POWERLEVELZ stuff.

@Blizzard

How could they make Hyper distinct from Super?

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

He died. Forever.

Hyper forms are terrible. They don't add anything to the story, besides turning everything into a power level fight (which is the stupidest thing ever) and justifying throwing in more energy beams and special effects to no end other than cheap entertainment. Super Sonic is kind of sketchy as it is, but connecting the emeralds to the user's will helps save it; Sonic wins through determination and willpower, not just because he has some magic rocks.

• Thumbs Up 4

I always thought a Hyper Sonic redesign/reboot would be cool. Instead of making him Seizure Sonic, make him extremely bright white (far brighter then normal Super Sonic), and give him a far bigger and brighter aura then Super Sonic. Give him increased control over his Chaos Energy, for example instead of Shadow's plain old Chaos Spear, he can shoot DBZ-style energy blasts (like Kame-Hame-Ha style lazers, but without screaming and overly long charge time charge time, and with one hand, kind of like what is shown here: http://nickinamerica...set=48#/d38jqml), increase and decrease the size of his energy aura at will (for more or less ramming power), and have a kind of ultra-Chaos Control where not only can he pull off ultra-enhanced versions of all the Chaos Control powers, his CC can "override" anyone else's Chaos Control (EXAMPLE: Shadow does Chaos Control to slow him down and he is unaffected).Like BlizzardJeffog said, he would probably he a final-boss exclusive character.

As for the Super Emeralds, I think it would be cool to bring back Hidden Palace as the only way to change the CEs to SE's (With the ME there of course), and maybe Knux could do his, "The seven servers" chant like in SA1 and 2 to change them at the shrine. And also maybe the shrine could be damaged ever time it is done, so it can be done only a certain number of times, therefore making it a absolute last resort.

Edited by Christmas Warp

@Christmas Warp

That's the kind of DBZ stuff that the series was slowly going into with Chaos Control powers before they were pretty much dropped afterwards, and it's also exactly the sort of thing I really don't want to happen.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 4

@Christmas Warp

That's the kind of DBZ stuff that SA2 and Shadow were slowly going into before the whole "Chaos Control" thing was pretty much dropped, and it's also exactly the sort of thing I really don't want to happen.

In moderation, I think that kind of stuff is fine. It's not like I would want Hyper to appear often, probably just for one game or something, as an awesome throwback.

• Thumbs Up 1

In moderation, I think that kind of stuff is fine. It's not like I would want Hyper to appear often, probably just for one game or something, as an awesome throwback.

Eh, it might be interesting as an unlockable in future installments of Sonic 4 for having the emeralds in previous episodes, but I'm not much interested in seeing it in a main series game as SUPERER SONIC for reasons other people have explained above.

On that note...

Super Sonic exclusive levels. That would be totally freaking awesome.

This though, might be interesting. If not a full level, have more parts to the Super Sonic fights that play like the rest of the game, but enhanced, as opposed to "ram weakspot".

Edited by Ekaje

@Christmas Warp

That's the kind of DBZ stuff that the series was slowly going into with Chaos Control powers before they were pretty much dropped afterwards, and it's also exactly the sort of thing I really don't want to happen.

Seconded.

In moderation, I think that kind of stuff is fine.
No it isn't. It's a juvenile anime power fantasy.

And there's nothing moderate about "omg he glows bright white and has a giant aura and shoots lasers and flies super fast and can double-stop time!!!"

No it isn't. It's a juvenile anime power fantasy.

And there's nothing moderate about "omg he glows bright white and has a giant aura and shoots lasers and flies super fast and can double-stop time!!!"

Not moderation in terms of the powers themselves, but in how often they appeared. Again, I would only want something like this once. And in terms of DBZ ripoff, I think it does not rip it off that much. It`s not like he'd get into a beam lock with Hyper Shadow or anything, nor would he stop to charge it and yell. I kind of see it as a far-enhanced evolution of Chaos Spear (Shadow shoots it in a spear, Hyper Sonic shoots it in a continuous beam "spear").

Its just not necessary.

Heck, if all it grants you is better control, there is no reason why Super Sonic can't just learn to gain better control and just fire off Chaos Beams by himself.

You can't really get more infinite that Super Sonic and Super Sonic already has been granted the infinite power of the 7 Chaos Emeralds.

Its not really comparable to anime powerups, because at the very least the powerups come from internal sources and from self-improvement. The Super Form is power granted externally by Chaos Emeralds which give you power.

Not moderation in terms of the powers themselves,
Which is part of why it's terrible.

but in how often they appeared. Again, I would only want something like this once.
It shouldn't happen at all. There's no benefit to it aside from the orgy of special effects being thrown around.

And in terms of DBZ ripoff, I think it does not rip it off that much.
Regardless of how much you try and hide it, you are giving him DBZ laser beams.

And the whole war of power levels thing is stupid regardless of whether or not it's copying DBZ specifically. Greater fights than anything this series has done have happened between mere mortals, because high power levels aren't what makes conflict exciting, tense, and moving (unless you're still amused by flashing lights). What matters is the characters, who they are, what they've been through, and what's at stake.

With Super Sonic being nerfed, I'm sure Sega could of shoved Hyper Sonic in the game. Faster speed, slower drain, etc.

Hyper Sonic could of made an appearance in Sonic Colors. Well, not exactly hyper but rainbow would of been enough.

I enjoyed Super/Hyper Sonic because he was fun to use and break the shit out of the game. I don't give a flying fuck what story ramifications it could have because hes fun and that's what I play video games for dammit!

Edited by Sonimas032
  • Thumbs Up 2

Was only put in as a bonus for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That said, I wouldn't mind if he and the Super Emeralds were brought back.

• Thumbs Up 2