Awoo.

What ever happened to Hyper Sonic?

Shyanne Firefox

I just haven't ever really seen a point too.

I mean it's basically giving the god character powers that are godly even at his standards, as soniception as that sounds. I've always seen Hyper Sonic as the answer when someone in the office asked "HEY, HOW DO WE TOP THIS?!" and the guy in the corner yelled "WELL HE'S SUPER AMIRITE, HOW 'BOUT SUPER DUPER!? LOL."

But yeah, if Hyper Sonic were to be included again, it'd make Super Sonic look stupid to be honest. It's like how early stages of DBZ forms aren't even that special anymore; it's over sugar-coating it. Plus, I thought for awhile most people were even sick of Super Sonic being the "must do" thing for Sonic at the end of every game. If Hyper was back, we'd have to go through both of these, XD.

The idea behind Hyper was neat for it's time, and extremely exciting because it was left at that: the ultimate unlockable. I truly feel like Hyper Sonic was one of those one-shot, one-game characters that should be nailed along with its game's coffin so to speak.

• Thumbs Up 3

We already have the Super Sayain of the series, we do not need to further escalate ourselves with DBZ and add a Super Sayain 2.

HyperSonicJoinstheBrawl45.jpg

YO DAWG I HERD U LIEK SUPER FORMS SO WE GAVE SONIC A SUPER FORM OF A SUPER FORM SO HE CAN SHOW YOU WHILE HE SHOWS YOU

Yeah, no. The last thing Sonic should be doing is turning games into power-level based dick fights and making perfectly servicable existing mechanics redundant in the process.

• Thumbs Up 4

I always thought that the reason story wise was that the other 6 hyper emeralds were in hidden palace never to be used again.

It'd be nice if he was an unlockable extra again but thats as far as hyper sonic can really go. in terms of being in story, i think everyone would throw a temper tantrum if hyper was shoved back into the canon by some kind of asspull and stayed. hyper was never really supposed to be a story wise character anyways just a nice extra so I'd like him to stay that way if he is brought back. it would give me more replay value thats for sure.

On a related note, there was a nice moment where hyper could've been brought back only temporarily. the final boss of colors wii could've had sonic gone super then fuse with the 7 wisps to become hyper-like then blast through eggman's nega wisp mech with the infinite color blaster then could've gone back to normal sonic. making an nice cameo, just staying long enough so people wouldn't bitch about it, and explaining why sonic could never go hyper again. but it wasn't so oh well...

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering how crappy Super Sonic was in Generations...perhaps having Hyper back would be a great idea.

On the real though while the DBZ references are there...to be honest you could legitimacy apply DBZ to mostly any action Kid/Teen show.

Dragon Ball is a timeless show that will always be referenced as long as action are similar...its just the way it goes. At this point its the execution that matters really. Things are barely original nowadays and there is nothing wrong with using cliches here and there...its just using them properly that truly matters.

That being said I don't see what the big deal is with Sonic bringing able to shoot out energy from his hands or whatever...since well..he is Super Sonic and he kinda already did this in Advance 3. I was enjoying the whole Chaos Energy concept until Shadow/Sonic 2006 fucked it all up.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about no. All Hyper Sonic is a left over coding from S3 and S&K it was never meant to be important, and Sega realized this. Hyper serves no purpose beyond the stupid Power levels that all Shonen Anime seem to be into nowadays, and if the series is ever treated that way by bringing Hyper back, I'm dropping the series completely, its stupid in DBZ, its stupid in Bleach, and its stupid in every other shonen anime out there and kills any conflict whatsoever because the character with the highest power level or latest Dues ex Machina transformation will always win.

Considering how crappy Super Sonic was in Generations...perhaps having Hyper back would be a great idea.

On the real though while the DBZ references are there...to be honest you could legitimacy apply DBZ to mostly any action Kid/Teen show.

Dragon Ball is a timeless show that will always be referenced as long as action are similar...its just the way it goes. At this point its the execution that matters really. Things are barely original nowadays and there is nothing wrong with using cliches here and there...its just using them properly that truly matters.

That being said I don't see what the big deal is with Sonic bringing able to shoot out energy from his hands or whatever...since well..he is Super Sonic and he kinda already did this in Advance 3. I was enjoying the whole Chaos Energy concept until Shadow/Sonic 2006 fucked it all up.

There's using a cliche,and completely ripping off another series' entire concept. We already have one character who abuses DBZ movesets, we do not need another.

There's using a cliche,and completely ripping off another series' entire concept. We already have one character who abuses DBZ movesets, we do not need another.

I guess your Implying Shadow? To be honest his powers are centered on an entirely different concept than DB which is mostly Time and Space powers. The only thing faintly similar is Chaos Blast...but teleprorting in-between enemies is something that most action shows already do in general.

Now if your implying Super Sonic...then you can just slap me.

Edited by V0YANT

I guess your Implying Shadow? To be honest his powers are centered on an entirely different concept than DB which is mostly Time and Space powers. The only thing faintly similar is Chaos Blast...but teleprorting in-between enemies is something that most action shows already do in general.

Now if your implying Super Sonic...then you can just slap me.

Shadow can shoot energy blast, can unlock even MORE power, and spams teleportation(Something DBZ kind of codified), and like you said Chaos Blast. Shadow is by far the most Dbzish character in the series.

I was enjoying the whole Chaos Energy concept until Shadow/Sonic 2006 fucked it all up.

You mean the only games that allowed the players to actually USE his Chaos Powers?

Shadow can shoot energy blast, can unlock even MORE power, and spams teleportation(Something DBZ kind of codified), and like you said Chaos Blast. Shadow is by far the most Dbzish character in the series.

Eh there plenty of characters like that in Action/Super-powered Shows/Movies and shit....being an avid DC/Marvel reader a few hand blast and tele techniques shouldn't just be associated with DBZ, but DBZ being so popular makes it really easy to point figures at.

Like I said it shouldn't ever be a big deal unless its used properly...this simply makes me wish Sonic in general had better story telling in the first place. The whole associations with DB in the first place would have been a lot more downplayed if the series wasn't so 1 dimensional in its execution and premise.

You mean the only games that allowed the players to actually USE his Chaos Powers?

Execution.

Just because they were actually being used doesn't mean they were being used well. Shadow in his own game could have had a much more versatile combat ideas if Sonic Team wasn't on crack at the time and didn't use weapons. Sonic Battle had a great idea of how to use Shadow's powers well in 2D while still proving interesting.

I belive he was one of the only other characters apart from ROY MUSTANG <3333333 that activated his powers by snapping his fingers which I think at a time was just a coincidence instead of a stolen idea.

It doesn't matter how reused a concept is as long as its of high quality, enjoyable, and somewhat fresh...some faults can be easily overlooked.

Example?

Elemental powers and shit...

Edited by V0YANT

Hyper Sonic? I thought we were just high while playing S3&K. You know Colors and stuff.

But seriously do we really need him? He is pretty much as non-canon as Super Tails or Super/Hyper Knuckles. 4 Super forms is enough for series.

OR, we could y'know, make Super Sonic not shit. I know, what a shocking idea.

But seriously, everything about Hyper that could hypothetically improve apon Super could just as easily be applied to Super itself instead. By the stage that you have one abilitiy that is made redundant by the other it really begs the question why you'd ever need both, and frankly, doing that kind of thing in some ham-fisted attempt to fix the problems of the former is a pretty fucking stupid thing to do.

That being said I don't see what the big deal is with Sonic bringing able to shoot out energy from his hands or whatever
Because Super forms have always been presented as an extension of the character's own abilities rather than granting new ones in an even more Deus Ex Machina manner than normal - suffice to say, when a character's entire gimmick is essentially moving faster than anyone else in the cast, suddenly being able to chuck bolts of lightning at people is a Big Lipped Alligator Moment waiting to happen, no matter how you try to justify it.

It's also the main reason why I have issues with Sonic and Silver spontaneously being able to Chaos Control right out of the blue, but that's a slightly different subject.

• Thumbs Up 3

After 06 everyone has kinda stopped using Chaos powers. Which is good, because the powers are overpowered.

And Hyper Sonic is redundant.

I thought it was because the flashing colours of Hyper Sonic triggered photosensitive epileptic seizures in some people. Like this:

Edited by JemiLoke97

^ Hyper Sonic flashes through all very similar pale colours, they wouldn't trigger a seizure anymore than regular TV might in a particularly sensitive person.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 years later...

Some people say it is because hyper sonic caused seizures, and some say sega and sonic team used him as a gimmick for people to buy sonic 3 and knuckles. However, I think it would be cool for sega and sonic team to bring him back in the supposed 25th sonic anniversary game as a Easter egg or something. And to fix the problem with hyper sonic, they can probably make hyper sonic transition to different colors slowly and to replace a flashing white light all over the screen to reference a sonic boom, to just make time to slow down a little. And just to avoid hyper sonic becoming OP. sonic team can just subtract the total current of rings by 10, 20, etc. every time they decide to use the "sonic boom". The "sonic boom" should be just like the time slow skill in sonic generations, except it will only slow down enemies and the time instead of everything and sonic for about 2-3 seconds. However this is just my ideas and wants. The attachment on here should give you an idea on how hyper sonic should change colors, but should still be a little slower...

color_change_triangle_by_10binary-d45k26o.gif

Hyper Sonic is just what happens when the Master Emerald and the Chaos Emeralds are all in their altars in the Hidden Palace or whatever, and the Master Emerald powers up the Chaos Emeralds. Hyper Sonic is just a stronger, full powered Super Sonic.

Overall, I don't find Hyper Sonic to be remotely necessary, but I actually think that bringing him back in the 25th anniversary title sounds like a cool idea. It would just sort of underscore the importance of the 25th anniversary and be an exciting, unexpected throwback. It would probably just be some sort of secret bonus, not something for the game to focus around (or even something "canonical", as if that word should even apply to Sonic, lol), and I wouldn't want it to become a permanent staple or anything...but yeah, it would be fun as a one-time celebration thing.

In general, I dislike Sega/Sonic Team permanently throwing stuff away (like all the non-main series classic games and everything from them) for no good reason; even if it's never going to play a major role again (and even in cases where it really shouldn't have a major role again, which is probably the case with Hyper Sonic - there isn't a compelling reason that I can think of for him to be formally re-introduced, especially since a focus on multiple tiers of super forms is something I really don't think the series needs), there's no reason there can't even be little cameos, minor roles, or references just for fun and as a nod to fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure Hyper Sonic, as well as Knux's and Tails Super forms was nothing more than a bonus for getting all the Chaos Emeralds technically twice, it's not like you had to get the Super Emeralds in the first place.

I never thought of them as actual canon, I find it strange that people do through.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saying that Hyper Sonic and the Super Emeralds aren't canon makes no sense within the context of what the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emerald are. The Super Emeralds are the result of Sonic & Tails bringing the seven Chaos Emeralds to the 'Master Emerald Pillar' in the Hidden Palace Zone, where they were transformed into larger 'Super' Emeralds. Which would result in a super state being ascended to a hyper state. The Adventure games established that the Master Emerald controls the Chaos Emeralds, so why wouldn't it be able to transform the Chaos Emeralds into more powerful states? Why wouldn't that level of power result in a SUPER super state?  

6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Saying that Hyper Sonic and the Super Emeralds aren't canon makes no sense within the context of what the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emerald are. The Super Emeralds are the result of Sonic & Tails bringing the seven Chaos Emeralds to the 'Master Emerald Pillar' in the Hidden Palace Zone, where they were transformed into larger 'Super' Emeralds. Which would result in a super state being ascended to a hyper state. The Adventure games established that the Master Emerald controls the Chaos Emeralds, so why wouldn't it be able to transform the Chaos Emeralds into more powerful states? Why wouldn't that level of power result in a SUPER super state?  

If the Super Emeralds are cannon, then how come they're never used after 3&K? Would've really come in handy for the finale of SA2.

As for what I think about Hyper forms, they're really not necessary. The Chaos Emeralds, Super Sonic and Shadow's powers are about enough DBZ for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

The Adventure games established that the Master Emerald controls the Chaos Emeralds, so why wouldn't it be able to transform the Chaos Emeralds into more powerful states?

This logic doesn't follow at all. If we hadn't seen the Super Emeralds in S3&K, there would be no reason to assume the Master Emerald could "power up" the Chaos Emeralds like that. In fact the only "control" we see the Master Emerald having over the other emeralds in the Adventures is to shut them down.

• Thumbs Up 3