Awoo.

Why is Chaotix non-canon?

Emmett L. Brown

Clearly they have no idea who Eggman is. Now on the other hand, this Robotnik fella...

Eggman was referred to as Eggman in the Japanese release of Chaotix, and they still didn't who he was in the Japanese release of Sonic Heroes. Not to mention the name of a "Robotnik" is a non-issue seeing as the Japanese canon overrides the overseas lack thereof anyways.

In regards to the topic at hand; Iizuka flat-out stated that this game wasn't canon, and the events of Heroes supported that. That's good enough reason for me to believe so!

Edited by Hunter the Christmas Fan

In regards to the topic at hand; Iizuka flat-out stated that this game wasn't canon, and the events of Heroes supported that. That's good enough reason for me to believe so!

Eggman was referred to as Eggman in the Japanese release of Chaotix, and they still didn't who he was in the Japanese release of Sonic Heroes. Not to mention the name of a "Robotnik" is a non-issue seeing as the Japanese canon overrides the overseas lack thereof anyways.

I mean, it wasn't properly a good joke, but even then I have to explain it?

• 3 months later...

Though the Japanese Canon has merged with the American canon, as American Sonic now lives on Earth, but Eggman's name is Robotnik. He was still being called Robotnik until the Events of Adventure.

But of course I'm not saying it's canon. CHARMY WAS NOT 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

No. They pretty much threw the SoA "continuity" out. The closest you can say to it being merged is the occasional in-jokes and references some of the games Unleashed and newer slip in.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

No. They pretty much threw the SoA "continuity" out. The closest you can say to it being merged is the occasional in-jokes and references some of the games Unleashed and newer slip in.

Gerald and Maria Robotnik...

Yeah and that's basically the only part of it that survived.

Not that there was much else to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, 'Robotnik' becoming a canon surname and the odd chillidog cameo are about all that's left of the US 'continuity'.

Thankfully. mellow.png

And?

That's pretty conclusive proof that the North American canon still exists alongside the Japanese canon.

No, it's proof that the current canon absorbed one detail from the western canon, before casting its useless carcass into the void.

• Thumbs Up 6

That's pretty conclusive proof that the North American canon still exists alongside the Japanese canon.

Nope, it's proof that they're somewhat willing to throw AmericanContinuity!Sonic fans the occasional bone.

• Thumbs Up 3

Note how Charmy's age was not stated in Chaotix's Japanese manual;

charmyagenope.png

Chaotix's non-canonicity aside, SoA had nothing to go on by giving Charmy the age of 16 in the Western manuals. Charmy may have been/was reinvented for Heroes but he was never stated to be 16 in his first appearance by the Japanese manual, therefore making any age discrepancies between Chaotix and Heroes without real merit, still considering Chaotix's non-canon status.

On the age subject, Sonic was never said to be 10 in Sonic 1's manual. This is BS perpertrated by the likes of Sonic News Network/Wikia. The only hints towards Sonic's age in the classic era is the STI Origin document which said he's 18 and a promotional video released with Sonic 3 in Japan that actually gave Sonic's age as an estimation (15-16).

sonicestiage.png

If Generations is canon with it's depiction of Classic Sonic who is said to be the younger version of Modern Sonic then this has been retconned. If Generations isn't canon then your guess is as good as mine really regarding the ambiguity.

Interestingly, Chaotix had a model of Metal Sonic that had a laser function installed inside it's turbine-stomach. Metal would attack you with it if you left characters idle in a stage for a certain amount of time and he uses it when he turns into a monster.

Now note how he uses it as one of his most powerful attacks in Sonic the Fighters? Another game that is highly, highly doubted to be canon?

Perhaps this means that Chaotix and Fighters version of Metal Sonic with the laser ability doesn't exist in the main series, strengthened by Chaotix's and Fighters' non-canon status and therefore, Metal never had this laser upgrade in canon games.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 4

No, it's proof that the current canon absorbed one detail from the western canon, before casting its useless carcass into the void.

And that they only did it because it was convenient for that story, since outside of things directly related to SA2 it's pretty much never come up again.

Regarding character ages, didn't Sonic and Knuckles get an age-swap around 2003? I know Sonic was confirmed as 16 before then, then became 15, and vice-versa for Knuckles. I'm pretty sure both their current and former ages were confirmed even in Japan.

Regarding character ages, didn't Sonic and Knuckles get an age-swap around 2003? I know Sonic was confirmed as 16 before then, then became 15, and vice-versa for Knuckles. I'm pretty sure both their current and former ages were confirmed even in Japan.

Come to think of it, Jam did give Sonic a concrete age!

Bio.png

Also, I don't see Knuckles' age listed in the JP Sonic 3 manual or the JP Sonic & Knuckles manual but it's entirely possible that I missed something. I'm no expert at reading Japanese ohmy.png HOWEVER, Knuckles' age was listed in the video released with preorders of Sonic 3 in Japan and it is stated that he is 15;

oldknucklesdata.gif

So yes, Sonic's and Knuckles' ages were swapped in 2003 upon the release of Heroes.

Edited by Verte

Because it didn't have anything to do with Sonic, and it didn't effect the Sonic canon at all.

Not only they don't acknowledge Eggman, most importantly, they don't remember Metal Sonic either...How'd they forget such enemy?

Also, it's almost impossible to fit the story in the canon without screwing it

Edited by Vex

See if you REALLY wanted to try, they never really express any question as to who Metal Sonic is. We never really see a personal reaction to his appearence.

As for Eggman, Charmy says "Isn't that that Doctor Eggman guy?" They might not have been on first-term names with him from a single face-off.

I mean, I'm not DESPERATE to make Chaotix canon because it is super awkward, but just saying, it COULD be stretched a little.

Edited by JezMM

Come to think of it, Jam did give Sonic a concrete age!

So yes, Sonic's and Knuckles' ages were swapped in 2003 upon the release of Heroes.

I think Jam gave Knuckles the same kind of profile card that confirmed his ages, too. Also, the change technically happened first in Sonic X, I remember being a bit confused by their profile card data.

• 1 month later...

Well, now that Episode Metal of Sonic 4 has given a new backstory for Metal Sonic, even I have to conceede that Knuckles Chaotix is now completely non-canon, since it previously held the explanation for Metal's return.

Oh well. Still a fun game.

Well, now that Episode Metal of Sonic 4 has given a new backstory for Metal Sonic, even I have to conceede that Knuckles Chaotix is now completely non-canon, since it previously held the explanation for Metal's return.

Oh well. Still a fun game.

Did Chaotix "explain" Metal Sonic's return? I thought he was just kind of there. Couldn't it still be canon inbetween Ep 2 and Adventure?

It does remind me how I always found it odd anyway that Metal Sonic was the final enemy in Chaotix. It'd be like making a Knuckles spin-off these days and having Shadow as the last boss. Or if they had brought back Wendy Witchcart to be the final boss of Shadow the Hedgehog.

Edited by JezMM

It could still be easily fixed into canon, simply by making it take place after Sonic 4.

Edit: Oh, wow, how long did I have this tab open? xD

Edited by MarcelloF