Awoo.

Humans in Sonic Games

Blue Blood

I have several opinions about the human issue-- It's not the species, it's the writing. Considering the animals are more susceptible to attempts at development, they've been the most intolerable and annoying characters we've ever had. Ever. Having animal NPCs will solve no problems either. They will be stricken with roughly the same writing as the NPCs are, or if they're main characters, then they will be hated for the very fact that they are simply a new character. Actually, I imagine animal NPCs would be hated for being recolors and badly designed too. They also wouldn't prove anything either-- we already know there's other animal characters in the world by the very fact that our large furry cast exists, unless you want to be the unlucky sod to pull the trigger by entertaining the idea that Shadow wasn't the only one of unnatural birth.

Meh, I think animal NPC's can work perfectly fine without being guilty of being new characters or recolors. In a weird way it felt good running through this place in sonic adventure

Too bad they didn't make it part of the hubworld(i'm a sucker for hubworlds... done right). They wouldn't have to look unique like the cast itself, just ordinary.

Edited by Jaouad

This topic's about humans in Generations specifically, not how humans should be handled in the series in general.

Sorry for continuing this, Blue Blood, cuz I still have a few question I need answered. If it carries even further than it should, I rid you the burden and make a new topic.

They are not what I like about the series, except for eggman that is.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

No but isn't that exactly what i'm saying? I am fine with humans as long they don't play a role in the foreground or major parts in the story. Same if there were to be animal npc's. Animal NPC's should just be there is all, it would add to the atmosphere and credebility of the world. I really wonder why we never officially got them (apart from those parts in Sonic adventure 1)

I may be in the minority in this, but I did not like sonic unleashed's pixar design humans. I did like how shahra looked in the storybook series though. I also didn't like how humans played part in cutscenes and I also couldn't stand Professor pickle.

Though yeah, i'd rather have animal npc's since in a way, it would feel more apropriate. I guess that's not a legit argument and I got nothing to back it up at the moment. But I guess they never tried it out except for partially in sonic OVA. Talking about the OVA, yeah that's the kind of thing I invision. I liked everything about the OVA. That owl character, president figure and whatever sara was supposed to be, she had a tail. Naoto Oshima's vision of sonic's world is what I like (not the origin with the rock band and madonna) and it suited.

Edit: Since their basing everything of the classic sonic's artstyle from the concepts, I really hope they take more than just the character designs and aestethics. I hope they were reminded of off other cool things too.

Edited by Jaouad

No but isn't that exactly what i'm saying?

Humans weren't needed in the classics; sonic was in his own world, his own universe - instead of ours. I would personally like to see a return to this style, is all.

*didn't mean to cause a fuss :unsure: *

EDIT: As far as Generations goes, since i know humans will be in it then I see no reason why they shouldn't stick with the Pixar-esque style used in Unleashed.

Edited by ForgeCircuit
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Humans weren't needed in the classics; sonic was in his own world, his own universe - instead of ours. I would personally like to see a return to this style, is all.

*didn't mean to cause a fuss :unsure: *

You're causing a bigger fuss, because there was a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't needed in the Classics either, yet we got it anyway.

In case you couldn't tell, this game isn't all about the Classics, so quit treating it like it should. This is taking cues from Sonic's whole history. In other words, it's going to use material from all other games Classic or otherwise. If humans are in it, then humans are in it. If not, oh well...

But seriously, and I'm just being honest, don't give me that "Human's weren't needed" crap like that justifies anything. It doesn't.

Unleashed Humans. In fact, I think everyone here wouldn't mind Unleashed Humans in future Sonic games. :P

I would. I prefer the SA2 styled humans. I don't think the Pixar styled humans fit very well. They looked nice and all, but I thought Sonic felt out of place with their designs.

You're not a true Sonic fan if you don't want more of him.

TROP042.PNG

But yeah, whether or not the human characters from games X, Y and Z actually do anything or simply cameo in the background, I really hope Pickle is somewhere too.

EDIT: @ PBD: Fix'd

Professor Pickles can go die in a fire for all I care. :P I don't see what's so funny about "Oh my name is Pickles and I like sandwiches with peanutbutter and cucumbers!!lolol!".

Wentos on the other hand..

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I'm partially with Marcello here, we NEED Wentos in the game.

I'm actually fairly interested in the prospect of seeing Elise in a sort of Dreamworks/Pixar style, even though I have a feeling that wont happen.

In perfect honesty though - I always thought a form of anime style would be fit more for Sonic or his humans, although not the cookie-cutter generic form. The Sonic CD cutscenes were in and of themselves classic anime. Things like Sonic OVA had it down also, especially the humans. If Generations goes for a more stylized direction with their humans that'd be great.

Edited by Carbo

Unleashed Humans. In fact, I think everyone here wouldn't mind Unleashed Humans in future Sonic games. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Like most here, I prefer the unleashed humans. The previous ones seemed like generic soulless androids devoid of any personality.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do. I hate them. I'd rather see realistic humans again than those like in Unleashed. Sa/Sa2 humans were OK as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it hard to forget the SA humans because they were so bland they literally stood out. They weren't even realistic - they had anime faces. Particularly the kids. LOLI AND SHOTA ALL AROUND.

SA2 turned almost into uncanny-valley territory. Shadow arguably made it more or less worse.

Sonic 06 was the only game that tried to have completely realistic humans though. But that was the worst offender of them all. The movements were fucking unnatural and their faces oh my god.

Edited by Carbo

I would LOVE to see the past important humans blended into Unleashed style a little. Not COMPLETELY wacky proportions, just, a little more cartooney. The GUN Commander's appearence in Chronicles is a good example of how you could turn a more human character into cartooney without making them unrecognisable.

As for characters who I'd like to see:

Burger Resturant Statue (SA1)

President (SA2)

GUN Commander (ShTH)

Princess Elise (2006)

Sonic Man (2006)

Prof. Pickle (Unleashed)

I think they're all deserving of references.

Why can't we just get some Billy Hatcher-esque humans and call it a day?

Edited by ChikaBoing

Ugg, I actually thought Billy Hatcher's art style wasn't all that appealing. It was fine, but I wouldn't want it in Sonic. They kind of looked like humans stretched and skewed into Sonic proportions. Which ironically I think would look too weird.

Why can't we just get some Billy Hatcher-esque humans and call it a day?

Edited by Jaouad

I dunno. They'd have to be made taller, because seeing them being the same size as Sonic would be weird.

And who knows how that would look then?

Also, I made this to see how it looks:

2u6la2a.png

I just noticed I spelled "and" wrong xD

Edited by MarcelloF

If there are humans in the game, I hope they look more like the ones from Unleashed. Sure they looked Pixar-ish, but each character was unique and had a different look. Sonic 06's humans were ugly and boring as hell, and the ones from SA1 looked too much like anime humans. As for SA2..hmm, that was ok I guess. But I still liked the cartooniness of Unleashed!

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

If there are humans excluding Eggman, I'll go for a combo of Unleashed-style caricatures (although a little bit toned down to make each of them more realistically proportioned) and the anime-style humans of SA1 and SA2. Each person in Unleashed had their own story to tell that made them interesting to read about. Adventure's humans were interesting, too, and I prefer the anime style from SA1 to SA2 most, but sometimes their stories were too samey.

Edited by Attitude Adjustment