Awoo.

Humans in Sonic Games

Blue Blood

I don't know, in SU, some people looked great to me, while others looked utterly hideous...an example of a great looking character is Brenda the reporter, an example of a hideous one is the fat guy from Empire city...so I'm mixed, I liked SA2's style the most I'd say.

Well, I'm an anime fan, and since I see the Sonic Series as a japanese product, I'd prefer the humans more on the SA1&2 & ShTH style, which I kinda liked.

I was too sad when they radically changed the character design from S06 to SU, mostly Eggman and the humans.

The fact that Mario too is japanese and have that design style may have helped me stay away from him so far...

I said before and still say so, I don't like Unleashed's human design and still prefer if Eggman were revamped into a more realistic style yet retaining a few features that may compliment his nowadays comedic side...

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that Mario too is japanese and have that design style may have helped me stay away from him so far...

Wow, really?

You know usually I'd have something to say about this, but I'm just speechless how something that superficial is what repelled you.

There's nothing wrong with liking Anime styled things, but I find it incredibly one-sided for anyone to be that judging of something that differs from the aesthetics of where it was made.

Just when I thought I was the most radical person here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I didn't think much of it when I wrote, I just didn't like you using Mario as comparison for Sonic Games' humans when Mario and Sonic Series are from two different companies.

Also, the fact that Sonic entered my life sooner may have helped make Mario Games lose standing in my life...

Only nowadays I may truly say that character designs may have an effect in my preferences of Anime and Games, but that's relative.

Edited by XRick

Honestly, I didn't think much of it when I wrote, I just didn't like you using Mario as comparison for Sonic Games' humans when Mario and Sonic Series are from two different companies.

Believe me, I don't make that comparison often unless there is a very strong element to compare. Humans in these cases were one of them despite being separate series. But that wasn't saying that Sonic's humans should look like Mario's, it was saying that just because something came from Japan doesn't mean it should be in the Anime style by default. Mario just so happened to share that very boat with Sonic's Unleashed humans.

Also, the fact that Sonic entered my life sooner may have helped make Mario Games lose standing in my life...

Only nowadays I may truly say that character designs may have an effect in my preferences of Anime and Games, but that's relative.

I still find that one-sided, but only you can make changes to your preferences. That's not saying that it won't have any criticism when you voice it, but I'm sure you've gotten on the recieving end of that plenty of times.

I didn't say they had to look Anime-style by default, I just stated from the syles used so far which looked better to me.

Of course, as seen through the topic, opinions diverge...

And about my preferences, yes, they sometimes change, depending on how much curiosity something may spark me from one time to another.

For example, I had preference on Phantasy Star over Final Fantasy, but nowadays I keep an eye on both, it just happened xD

Edited by XRick

I didn't say they had to look Anime-style by default, I just stated from the syles used so far which looked better to me.

No, but you kinda implied something like that when you said Sonic was a japanese product and that you were an anime fan.

And your comment about Mario didn't help either, but I digress...

Honestly, I don't think the style is really going to change all that much. Most of Sonic's time in 3D was spent finalising a definative look for the series. It just so happened that Unleashed pretty much defined it. It may change yet, but the development team came up with those lovely designs in the first place, so they're the most likely to stick.

No, but you kinda implied something like that when you said Sonic was a japanese product and that you were an anime fan.

Edited by XRick

• 7 years later...

Note: I realize this topic is ancient... The deal is I was going to create a topic about this same subject... but I feel no reason to do so if the same topic exists already. So I'll just go ahead and post here what I already posted in one of my status updates.

When it comes to what art style the humans besides Robotnik should be within the Sonic series...

I been thinking more about what I read somebody else said in the past... I now REALLY have to agree that SEGA should go with the Billy Hatcher style... I mean COME ON... it is literally the same art style as the main Sonic style except with humans characters!

billy-hatcher-and-th-4e261626b5588.jpg

How have Sonic Team not thought about doing this already? ... It is made by the same team for crying out loud. Is it that hard to put 2 and 2 together for them? x'D

PS: I think Sonic Unleashed was getting close to the right answer for the humans.... Perhaps they could also even marge the Billy/Unleashed and Nights Into Dreams styles together somewhat to form a ultimate style for the humans. However I feel Billy Hatcher is the more correct choice overall.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also do not get it. And with Billy Hatcher (and maybe even Nights) they actually have the best template for a human design that would fit into the Sonic Universe. Billy Hatcher a bit more, because they are all technically human versions of the four main Sonic characters. Billy = Sonic, Rolly = Amy, Chick = Tails, Bantam = Knuckles.

But... I'm not sure if this is even necessary anymore. It seems to me that, besides Eggman, they will be no humans anymore in the current world of Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Rowl said:

But... I'm not sure if this is even necessary anymore. It seems to me that besides Eggman they will be no humans anymore in the current world of Sonic. 

With the rumor of a Sonic Adventure remake going around... who knows it might happen again. Besides with Sonic Team we never know what whimsical nonsense they decide to do in future titles. The Sonic series and it's creators are absurdly inconsistent in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Rowl said:

I also do not get it. And it with Billy Hatcher (and maybe even Nights) they actually have the best template for a human design that would fit into the Sonic Universe. Billy Hatcher a bit more, because they are all technically human version of the four main Sonic characters. Billy = Sonic, Rolly = Amy, Chick = Tails, Bantam = Knuckles.

But... I'm not sure if this is even necessary anymore. It seems to me that besides Eggman they will be no humans anymore in the current world of Sonic. 

The comic and/or TSR might want to use more humans, and this obviously doesn’t count the movie (which even appears to use a different logic to the “two worlds” thing entirely grounded in science without mysticism), so this should be kept in mind. Stuff like Billy Hatcher and Puyo Puyo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Note: I realize this topic is ancient... The deal is I was going to create a topic about this same subject... but I feel no reason to do so if the same topic exists already. So I'll just go ahead and post here what I already posted in one of my status updates.

When it comes to what art style the humans besides Robotnik should be within the Sonic series...

I been thinking more about what I read somebody else said in the past... I now REALLY have to agree that SEGA should go with the Billy Hatcher style... I mean COME ON... it is literally the same art style as the main Sonic style except with humans characters!

billy-hatcher-and-th-4e261626b5588.jpg

How have Sonic Team not thought about doing this already? ... It is made by the same team for crying out loud. Is it that hard to put 2 and 2 together for them? x'D

PS: I think Sonic Unleashed was getting close to the right answer for the humans.... Perhaps they could also even marge the Billy/Unleashed and Nights Into Dreams styles together somewhat to form a ultimate style for the humans. However I feel Billy Hatcher is the more correct choice overall.

I actually would prefer using Eggman as a point of reference over Sonic and co. He’s kind of hard to use as a reference because of his body shape, but overall we can still glean, based on Eggman, that Sonic humans should have exaggerated hair. Something like the Unleashed characters with more realistic head shapes but exaggerated hair. 

4 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I actually would prefer using Eggman as a point of reference over Sonic and co. He’s kind of hard to use as a reference because of his body shape, but overall we can still glean, based on Eggman, that Sonic humans should have exaggerated hair. Something like the Unleashed characters with more realistic head shapes but exaggerated hair. 

I honestly feel that Eggman is roughly the same art style as the Billy Hatcher characters and not quite the Unleashed humans. Just compare Robotnik to the fat boy in the Billy group and imagine glasses and a big mustache on the boy... you'll notice they look kinda the same. Plus the Billy style already have exaggerated hair too which meets up to one of your requirements. Eggman isn't actually a different art style from Sonic and co despite how some may feel on that.

I think the main difference between humans and anthros is going to come down to how the eyes are shaped (Big the Cat notwithstanding). 

3 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I think the main difference between humans and anthros is going to come down to how the eyes are shaped (Big the Cat notwithstanding). 

Not all art styles have uniform eye shapes for all characters. Most styles of course have a main style for the eyes, yes.... but especially some whimsical expressive cartoony styles will break that mold for certain characters to give them a different needed feeling, they are still counted as part of the same overall style regardless.

I might be crazy, but I think this artwork by Sonic artist Yuji Uekawa could be a good reference.Dcq--EbW4AcETRx.jpg

The style of the eyes, «merged» hair and certain exaggerated features like the large hands makes her work with the Sonic universe. Meanwhile the overall accurate human anatomy marks her as a different species from the anthros. (Because frankly, I don’t see any complaints that Eggman, chao or wisps should have Sonic anatomy.)

• Thumbs Up 1

They should also have humans with weird gimmicks to them too. Unleashed did that but they should go further with it.

Billy Hatcher would fit right in with the Sonic Universe probably. Just a boy who dresses up like a chicken. Why? Because he's in Sonic's world and people are weird.

• Thumbs Up 1