Awoo.

Sonic X Comics

Dr. Mechano

SonicX26.jpg

Yeah, baby.

By now, a lot of you know that my absolute favorite Sonic continuity is the Sonic X comic series. That's right, a derivative work based on another derivative work. It's better than it sounds... Or at least, it gets better than it sounds.

The comic didn't get a lot of attention during its forty-issue run, in part I believe, because of its phenomenally bland first few issues before Ian Flynn became the writer. For fans getting into the series, be warned, it does take a little while to get good.

But when it happens, it's absolutely great. As I've brought up in another topic, this comic is essentially AoStH with in-depth character studies. Dr. Eggman is essentially the friendly neighborhood supervillain, who- in his off time- can often be found on friendly terms with Sonic and his friends. But it goes deeper than that- The comic, despite Sonic's top billing, turns into a collection of stories that for the most part star Eggman.

This series is probably the closest thing we've ever gotten to Eggman playing the lead role, as most issues in the second half of the comic's run feature him as the central/focus character. He's presented in two ways, simultaneously- As a laughably over-the-top source of comedy, and yet as a surprisingly deep and fleshed-out man. His relationships with Sonic, his robots, his lovestruck crush Ella, and even with himself are brought up and focused on. It's really well-done, and highlights Eggman as an endearing, lovable, and human character, and not just a funny one.

On the surface, Sonic X is a gag series. It's full of over-the-top zany antics, and it succeeds at being an amusing series. But at its core, it's deeper than that, focusing on the characters and their interaction with one another. "Hero" and "Villain" are Sonic's and Eggman's occupation- It's what they do, and they have a strong rivalry because of it. But this comic shows us both individuals in their off time, and that- while not on the "job" so to speak- the two can actually get along.

Also, the El Gran Gordo story arc in particular is Eggman's crowning moment of awesome. From any continuity. He becomes a beloved figure and even borders on reforming, though he does default back to his villain status eventually... Although, Ian planned to give us another El Gran Gordo story in the future, but alas, the comic was cancelled before this(and other stories) could see the light of day.

Also, Chris barely does anything in this series. And the few times he does, it's actually not so bad at all.

For fans who've seen it, discuss! For those who haven't, I recommend it. If you can get through the somewhat boring beginning, you'll see that the comic really does present an interesting, if different, view of the Sonic world.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Erazor

• Toby

• -Mark-

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why would they discontinue something so totally awesome?

I loved the Sonic X comic series. They were funnier than AoStH. I'm still trying to nab all of the issues while I can.

Why oh why would they discontinue something so totally awesome?

I know!

I speculate that it didn't sell very well- Perhaps fans were put off by its shaky start, and declined to give the rest of the series a chance. Either way, I already miss being able to look forward to new issues of this series, but at least I have all 40 of them, and can look back on the fond memories I have of this comic.

On the surface, Sonic X is a gag series. It's full of over-the-top zany antics, and it succeeds at being an amusing series. But at its core, it's deeper than that, focusing on the characters and their interaction with one another. "Hero" and "Villain" are Sonic's and Eggman's occupation- It's what they do, and they have a strong rivalry because of it. But this comic shows us both individuals in their off time, and that- while not on the "job" so to speak- the two can actually get along.

This reminds me a lot of those old Looney Tunes shorts about Ralph the Wolf and Sam the Sheepdog. The two would punch in, then start their hunting/protecting sheep routine as if it were a job. Even though Sam would thrash Ralph a lot while they were "on the job," they'd return to treating each other in a friendly way once their "job" was done.

Also, Chris barely does anything in this series. And the few times he does, it's actually not so bad at all.

I usually have a hard time thinking of what Chris could do without getting in the way of the other characters. But he actually worked really well as a fan El Gran Gordo. It was pretty cute how his tears inspired Eggman to find his inner strength.

This is my favorite cover. ;)

Yes, Jason- Your comic is awesome in its own, very different way. Keep it up! (Also, I can't wait to see Eggman- who judging by the title and emblem will continue his extended focus as a major character- to appear.)

...But seriously. Thoughts on the real series?

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I think my favorite moment out of all of the issues I've read was in the one when Eggman's running around in costumes and he comes out dressed as Chris. That one panel had me laughing non-stop for at least 3 minutes.

I think my favorite moment out of all of the issues I've read was in the one when Eggman's running around in costumes and he comes out dressed as Chris. That one panel had me laughing non-stop for at least 3 minutes.

Ah yes, issue 35 in general was an absolute riot. (Which my avatar and sig are taken from, obviously.)

I personally love how Eggman's shown to have a whole collection of costumes, wigs, and other disguise paraphernalia. He really enjoys dressing up! A throwback to Shuffle, perhaps?

Ah yes, issue 35 in general was an absolute riot. (Which my avatar and sig are taken from, obviously.)

I personally love how Eggman's shown to have a whole collection of costumes, wigs, and other disguise paraphernalia. He really enjoys dressing up! A throwback to Shuffle, perhaps?

Maybe. I think that that one issue is all a Sonic fan needs to read to understand how truely great the series was.

Maybe. I think that that one issue is all a Sonic fan needs to read to understand how truely great the series was.

It was a fun issue, but I'd have to say both El Gran Gordo story arcs(26-27, and then later 31-32) have to be my favorites, for being funny and incredibly deep looks at Eggman's drives and motivations. Plus we get to see Eggman beat up a giant wrestler. I mean, how cool is that?

EDIT: By the way, I know the series is over, but I'll probably post in-depth reviews of some of my favorite issues in this topic eventually, since it's relevant.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

It was a fun issue, but I'd have to say both El Gran Gordo story arcs(26-27, and then later 33-34) have to be my favorites, for being funny and incredibly deep looks at Eggman's drives and motivations. Plus we get to see Eggman beat up a giant wrestler. I mean, how cool is that?

That's true. It's really one of the only times I've seen him get sick of being a villain all of the time. And there was this:

But he actually worked really well as a fan El Gran Gordo. It was pretty cute how his tears inspired Eggman to find his inner strength.

Though, just seeing Eggman dressed like a mutant Hulk Hogan (at least that's what he reminded me of) is enough to make those issues great.

Edited by Erazor

As much as I agree that the Sonic X comics are good (i actualy found them more entretaining than the dubbed anime), the only downfall I feel about it is that it deserved a much better conclusion....

As much as I agree that the Sonic X comics are good (i actualy found them more entretaining than the dubbed anime), the only downfall I feel about it is that it deserved a much better conclusion....

Ugh, agreed. The comic ended in a needlessly abrupt manner, after a short, sudden crossover with the main series.

Again, the writer wanted to do more- The El Gran Gordo story, and Eggman's romantic infatuation with Ella, as well as the secret organization S.O.N.I.C.X. were all to receive more plot focus in later storylines.

Who knows what other lovable adventures were planned? I'm really disappointed by the sudden ending, but I guess I'll be glad for what I did get out of the 40 issues.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Ugh, agreed. The comic ended in a needlessly abrupt manner, after a short, sudden crossover with the main series.

Again, the writer wanted to do more- The El Gran Gordo story, and Eggman's romantic infatuation with Ella, as well as the secret organization S.O.N.I.C.X. were all to receive more plot focus in later storylines.

Who knows what other lovable adventures were planned? I'm really disappointed by the sudden ending, but I guess I'll be glad for what I did get out of the 40 issues.

That is certainly a more positive way to look at it. Isn't strange how some of the most awesome things in the Sonic series always seem unfairly cut short? Sonic X-treme, Sonic SatAM, AoStH, 06's development, and of course the Sonic X comic are all good examples.

heck I can't even count that as an ending. It was just a Sonic Universe advertasing!!

The important event of the starts completly out of nowhere (Sonic having tea with cream and suddenly BOOM...we have Shadow and Metal Sonic), the explanations and the whole story in general moves too fast, and when you think at least some conflic would start with Eggman trying to use Metal Sonic just...ends in such a bad way....

Is just...it dosen-t feel like an end at all...more like a chop right in the middle

EDIT: Why everyones thinks Sonic Xtreme was going to be so good?...for what I saw I felt that would end up worst than our usual 3D games

Edited by Viku

wait, so Eggman is a Master of Disquise now? |D

XD

Personally I only read Issue 9 and 30. but 30 was an epic laughfest. even if it is kinda dumb. xDDDD

I seriously need to find some more issues now. x3

The comic should have been called Eggman X. Seriously, Eggman was omnipresent and more developped than the real hero whose name is also the book's name. I quite like Eggman as a character and stories about him are good sometimes, not everytime. It was often "Eggman does something while disguised as..." and it was boring after some time.

The stories were hit and miss. Sometimes good (back in the Sonic 1 game, the one with Vector growing up, when Eggman and Sonic switched bodies, El Gran Gordo...) but most of them were not that entertaining (the first ones, the one where everybody goes after an emerald around the world or when Sonic and Tails are reduced...)

Same goes for the arts. Yardley and Butler were ace but Tim Smith III and David Hutchinson...ouch. The final issue should have been drawn by either Yardley or Butler, it deserved to look good but no...

This comic was average for me. Not bad, not great. It had its moments but I'm glad they ended it.

Edited by Adamis Fox

The comic should have been called Eggman X. Seriously, Eggman was omnipresent and more developped than the real hero whose name is also the book's name. I quite like Eggman as a character and stories about him are good sometimes, not everytime. It was often "Eggman does something while disguised as..." and it was boring after some time.

The stories were hit and miss. Sometimes good (back in the Sonic 1 game, the one with Vector growing up, when Eggman and Sonic switched bodies, El Gran Gordo...)

what issue was that?

It's funny, but personally, I almost have a reverse opinion of the comic. I mean, I'll agree it was a good series, but I actually loved the initial issues most, then gradually lost love for the series as it went on.

I mostly loved the first issue because it was so refreshing to see a Sonic comic that wasn't the regular Archie series (which I'm not too keen on). By the end of the initial four-parter, I did feel it was wearing a bit thin.

...Then issues 5 and 6 came along. For me, they (five in particular) were the highlight of the series, in part due to it was Tracy's Sonic X debut. But yeah, after that I felt the series did get a little repetitive, although it was still by no means bad. It was probably also due to the fact that around that time, my fanboyish obsession with Sonic dropped a little to simply being 'big fan'. So whilst I obviously still got the comics and read them, I guess I just enjoyed them a bit less. I found the S.O.N.I.C.X. subplot interesting, but they left it hanging up in the air for too long and I sort of stopped caring by the end.

Also, whilst I'm glad they included Super Sonic, I did think that whole matter felt a bit rushed.

what issue was that?

That would be 37. The best part is that Eggman doesn't use his position to give Sonic a bad name or anything- He's actually content with staying as Sonic, and enjoying the pampering, fame, and attention he gets for being a hero. He even earnestly tries to save the day, and does. Of course, Sonic gets the credit since it was his body that did it.

The two have to get used to each other- Eggman's not used to Sonic's speed, and keeps running into things, while Sonic doesn't know how to fly the Eggmobile. (Of course in the games, Eggman should be used to speed considering how fast he is, and Sonic flew the Eggmobile fine in Sonic 3. Ah, trivia!) It's a really great issue all-around.

Another one I loved was issue 22, that focused on Eggman's relationship with his minions- I'll be reviewing that(and others) in depth later.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

This Eggman the Comic, errr, I meant Sonic X comic intreagues me. If something based on a blandish show made better through comics (more so the ones under Ian Flynn), and has better moments for Dr. Eggman than anywhere else (apart from Unleashed and Chronicles), then it just might be something I wanna read, then! If only I could find some issues, without resorting to eBay.

This Eggman the Comic, errr, I meant Sonic X comic intreagues me. If something based on a blandish show made better through comics (more so the ones under Ian Flynn), and has better moments for Dr. Eggman than anywhere else (apart from Unleashed and Chronicles), then it just might be something I wanna read, then! If only I could find some issues, without resorting to eBay.

Same here. It's probably the first comic book series I've ever actually wanted to read.

I loved the Sonic X comic. Along with Adventures, I wish it hadn't been cancelled so soon. It shows exacly what the series should focus on, light fun with depth and the original characters having all the focus on them, not someone else.

I hate the fact that they crossed it over with the original series. It has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: Why everyones thinks Sonic Xtreme was going to be so good?...for what I saw I felt that would end up worst than our usual 3D games

Because they never saw the final work. And what you say it's exacly what I think as well, from what I saw, we ended up better without it. It was a terrible game from the small we have.

Edited by redmenace

I also like the spotlight Eggman has in this comic. even if most Eggmans are diferent (games, archie and X comics...) they all share onbe enormous ego...and this eggman was more tied to it than the others.

I can say that more than conquer the world, what this Eggman wanted was fame, being know by everybody, be in every mind of the word. That's why he enjoyed being in Sonic's shoes after the body-swaping and when he became El Gran Gordo.

Is funny to notice the diferences between Eggmans. Archie Main comic's Eggman is much more cold-blooded and evil, Sonic X comic's Eggman is more lighthearted and wants more fame than power and the game's Eggman is pretty much a blanced being bewteen the two: Evil but still having some honor.