Awoo.

Crisis City

KHCast

So As many of you know Crisis city is probably one of my favorite stages in generations(Other than Rooftop Run,And Seaside hill) But I can't help but feel there is sooo much more that stage could have been. Sections from the original,space, enemies, the design I just felt a big let down after playing it. So what do you think was missing or was not good in this stage? Whenever someone seems to do a review on generations Crisis city seems to be a point people seem to bring up(Positive or negative) Would it have been a better idea to use a different 06 stage?

For me it would have to have been the Grind rails. That was a missed opportunity to me. Grinding around the tornado or other memorable areas from the stage. Even worse when you notice that grind rails are used more often in other stages. The lack of Iblis. It would have been nice to see him somehow. And the lack of skateboarding sections.

I did though love the music, Design of the enemies and Sense of danger.biggrin.png

And no i did not make this because of the Cool edge topic. This has been in my mind for days now.tongue.png

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog

I really wished that they added a few things to pay homage to the original 06, maybe have a few more open areas, bring back the boarding segment like in the original, maybe even have sorta in level mini-bosses for each sonic in the form of Iblis for Classic and Mephiles for Modern. Maybe even add a quick segment that involved navigating an area using a ball

Though really they did get a good bit a representation for the level itself, with modern getting something close to the high speed section and Classic getting the whirl wind section (with extra tornado)

I like it too, but I feel the same way. The whole level was way the hell too crammed and linear. The fact that half of it was 2D didn't help either and the quickstep section at the end was way too short and easy. Lack of Iblis and lack of rails was dissapointing. I feel classic version did more things right with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

And no i did not make this because of the Cool edge topic. This has been in my mind for days now.tongue.png

JUST CHECKING. :|

No, I'm kidding. This stage makes me wonder, too, because this is the ONLY stage in the game that doesn't pay homage to its original level's beginning. Even Planet Wisp does it, but it's more in concept than actual design. (Planet Wisp has this whole "Beautiful, lush environment that devolves into factory overrun land, so Generations wanted to expand on that. The original level pretty much says "Hey, pretty grass! NOW THE FACTORY.)

Crisis City takes out the boarding section and the rail grinding section, which disappoints me because that part was awesome except for the original broken controls. I wouldn't have minded some vertigo inducing rails (with GOOD rail controls this time) before we get into the action. And I've mentioned this a lot of times before, but the existence of the "Quick Slide" skill makes me think the boarding was originally gonna be included.

The level just misses a lot of awesome cues from the original, and doesn't pay as much homage as the other levels.

It's my favourite level in the game and I can't be bothered to gush anymore, but I wish it were less linear and had the boarding section. Otherwise, I loved it, and felt they nailed the tension and the music was beautiful. I also appreciated the difficulty.

While Crisis city does skip out on some opportunities, I do think there are plenty throwbacks to the original crammed in there. You basically are seeing a re-creation of the mach speed zone (the staple of Sonic's stages in 06) in the tornado alley section in the modern level, and you even get the spring-through-exploding-windows area. On top of that, you've got the short platforming section that hugs the broken building and the zig-zag spring launch at the top of another.

Classic Sonic gets the obvious tornado derbies platforming ripped right out of the Sonic's 06 variant. In other places, the iblis gliders fly out ahead of him to block his path, much like they did in 06. Then there are the more obvious thematic similarities, such as traversing down the slanted sides of fallen skyscrapers and leaping along the crumbling highway infrastructure.

To be honest, everything from the 06 stage but the snowboarding and grind section may be on full display here.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 2

Except that those are two really iconic parts of the levels.

It'd be like if Chemical Plant had everything but the tubes and the criss-cross pipes.

Except that those are two really iconic parts of the levels.

It'd be like if Chemical Plant had everything but the tubes and the criss-cross pipes.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I mean, its not like they skipped over the tornado.

But out of the handful of six or seven memorable things out of that stage, they did nail 80% of them. Considering that they never set out to do a 1 - to - 1 remake of the stage, I'm pretty happy with those numbers. It does more than a few other stages bother to anyway.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I wouldn't go quite that far. I mean, its not like they skipped over the tornado.

But out of the handful of six or seven memorable things out of that stage, they did nail 80% of them. Considering that they never set out to do a 1 - to - 1 remake of the stage, I'm pretty happy with those numbers. It does more than a few other stages bother to anyway.

Yeah. i mean Planet wisp outside of the beginning really doesn't have that many memorable areas i remember. The classic's are all Brand new to modern style so not that much there. And the only stages that i think out-nostalgias it would be seaside hill and Rooftop Run. Edited by The Boostin Reinhog

And the inly stage that i think out-nostalgias it would be seaside hill and Rooftop Run.

I agree.

Very few stages can hang with Crisis City when in comes to nostalgia, although I will give an honorable mention to Planet Wisp. Not only does it expand on the CG renders of the planet that we didn't get to explore, but it shows off a sweet chain generator set piece in the background and also amps up the ante by bringing a few wisps into the party.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I agree.

Very few stages can hang with Crisis City when in comes to nostalgia, although I will give an honorable mention to Planet Wisp. Not only does it expand on the CG renders of the planet that we didn't get to explore, but it shows off a sweet chain generator set piece in the background and also amps up the ante by bringing a few wisps into the party.

DANCING WISPS!TURN UP THE TECHNO!
  • Thumbs Up 2

That is a good point. Like the Reinhog over here, I'm holding out for some DLC. I want that boarding (and an incentive to use Quick Slide!) and I want SOME grinding. I find it weird that there isn't a SINGLE grind rail, even though that was a really cool section of the original level. The ending montage even gives those two segments a lot of attention.

Another thing is that this level (Act 2, at least, which is of course what everyone's talking about) uses next to no alternate paths or shortcuts. There's like ONE during the stomp section, where you jump up falling platforms to a Red Star Ring, but that's it. Makes speedrunning it a huge pain because you can't use paths to experiment with a faster route. It's just "Do it fast."

But on the bright side, it does a really good job as a last level, and it really felt like I was in the hardest part of the game once I started the modern era. It's too bad Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp kind of toss this out the window because they feel more like hard stages than they do final stages. Still wish they had picked Asteroid Coaster or gone with a crazy gauntlet level at the end with both Sonics a la Eggmanland's Crimson Carnival.

DANCING WISPS!TURN UP THE TECHNO!

Off topic:

DO THE YACKER MOTHERFUCKAS

On topic: I thought Crisis City was a good stage in Generations, but part of me kinda wished they had less 2D sections.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a good point. Like the Reinhog over here, I'm holding out for some DLC. I want that boarding (and an incentive to use Quick Slide!) and I want SOME grinding. I find it weird that there isn't a SINGLE grind rail, even though that was a really cool section of the original level. The ending montage even gives those two segments a lot of attention.

Another thing is that this level (Act 2, at least, which is of course what everyone's talking about) uses next to no alternate paths or shortcuts. There's like ONE during the stomp section, where you jump up falling platforms to a Red Star Ring, but that's it. Makes speedrunning it a huge pain because you can't use paths to experiment with a faster route. It's just "Do it fast."

But on the bright side, it does a really good job as a last level, and it really felt like I was in the hardest part of the game once I started the modern era. It's too bad Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp kind of toss this out the window because they feel more like hard stages than they do final stages. Still wish they had picked Asteroid Coaster or gone with a crazy gauntlet level at the end with both Sonics a la Eggmanland's Crimson Carnival.

Well there is a grind rail secret shortcut at the VERY end.

Also Yeah multiple paths would have been cool. But I think someone said a while back that Crisis city was like the intro to full on platforming+speed and floating platforms(which was very heavy in later levels)While Being somewhat straightforward. Although i wouldn't have been mad if it was the last level in the era and they up'd the challenge.

Off topic:

DO THE YACKER MOTHERFUCKAS

On topic: I thought Crisis City was a good stage in Generations, but part of me kinda wished they had less 2D sections.

Off Topic:21848SFR_C6_2P_003.jpg

Yeah, it kinda suffered planet wisp syndrome a little.

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, that two foot grind rail that either throws me into a wall or, if I'm lucky, straight into the Goal Ring.

Crisis City, along with Planet Wisp, are the top stages I'm really hoping for as far as DLC. So much more can be done with 3D areas, and Classic Sonic can do wonders with 2D areas.

I liked it but they forgot the grind rail section from the beginning. Aside from the tornado and the ending, it kind of feels like a new Crisis City. Also, wasn't Shadow the only one who had the grind rails by the tornado?

I liked it but they forgot the grind rail section from the beginning. Aside from the tornado and the ending, it kind of feels like a new Crisis City. Also, wasn't Shadow the only one who had the grind rails by the tornado?

Yeah Shadow had the spiral rail. Much as I hate 06 that level was pretty fun O_o

I find it really hard to mourn over the loss of a grind rail section when you essentially stare at the screen for ten seconds.

• Thumbs Up 5

I find it really hard to mourn over the loss of a grind rail section when you essentially stare at the screen for ten seconds.

Well the 06 ones while crappy were not just sight gazing. You actually had to move from rail to rails so I'd assume it be somewhat engaging in generations.

Well, it did look cool. I guess.

Mybe, but it went on for far too long that I simply don't see why people miss it. At least RR in both SU and SG had the grace to shorten their flashy grinding section.

I have to say my favorite is City Escape. That's just my SA2 fandom kicking in though.

Edited by Wearied Snowflakes