Awoo.

Crisis City

KHCast

Crisis City without stupid bugs was a joy to play and only highlighted to me how good 06 could have been had it not been rushed.

It's got a lot of pit deaths still, but a) that's representative and b)there's actually nothing wrong with having a "pit death level" in the game, since its more a unique feature... it's only a problem when EVERY level has that, which Generations really avoids.

I'm happy with the exclusion of the rail and boarding sections myself. Grind rails are overused in the series as it is, so it's a nice change of pace to see them used a little more sparingly. The boarding section would feel pretty redundant after City Escape. Not to mention that it was so awful in the original Crisis City that I would think it was best left forgotten.

• Thumbs Up 2

To expand, I'd say Modern Crisis City nailed most of the parts aside from the snowboarding. It has the bouncing across multiple springs in a row, the columnar buildings where you're at the bottom, the spring with the dramatic glass shattering, the tornado throwing cars bit, the big ass loop, and, oddly, the beginning and goal ring parts remind me of Silver's level for some reason. The 3D lava sections are actually very Flame Core, really.

One thing that does bug me though, there's a checkpoint really early on. Is that so you don't have to do the dick move at the start again, or is that a case of things earlier on being missed out (possible boarding?). It's very reimagined, but it nailed the aesthetics and tension of the level.

Also, while it is a linear level, there are opportunities for shortcuts, but not shortcuts as in different paths, but different timings of using the boost/jump dash or whatever, which for me adds replay value up the ass. I didn't mind the pits so much as they're rarely that cheap, you've just gotta be careful. Despite the lack of slopes, I think this level flows so well, especially once you start doing more of the time savers. It literally throws you from one tricky platforming section to the next, separated sometimes by a few second cinematic event, such as the loop, or the glass shattering, or the springs in the 2D bit. It could have had less 2D, but at least being within the building husk it seemed fitting, and I did like the stomping lava platform mechanic, and how they affect your jumps. It doesn't have as much spectacle as the original, but it has better gameplay.

Oh yeah, and it's fun as hell to try and speed run. It tests your abilities to the max, as that's how you get the shortcuts and low times, not taking a different route like in say Speed Highway.

Classic's Crisis City is pretty decent, but apart from the tornado section I don't think there's much it does that other levels don't do better. Modern Crisis City is probably one of my favourite levels in the entire SERIES, and I'm not sure I can justify that without going DAT VIOLIN.

Oh yeah I'm surprised to not be the first person in this thread lamenting that City Escape felt kind of bland. Considering how iconic it is, it's a shame, I'd be most eager to replace that level. Crisis City WAS 06 though, through and through.

Edited by White Acrimbopolis
  • Thumbs Up 6

"Crisis City WAS 06 though"

Something that makes me wish the story was better... I always imagined a slight jab at the game that would kill me right before starting up the stage. Like-

Tails: This place doesn't look familiar to me at all... Do you remember it, Sonic?

Sonic: I think I'd remember if I was in something this bad!

And yeah, I feel like City Escape could have been replaced by a space level, since that was another thing iconic since SA2. (It, along with S3&K, were the games that really cemented being in space as a key level trope for the series whenever they needed rising tension.) But then Shadow's battle wouldn't be unique (kind of wish Silver had been in some place like Kingdom Valley), and there were too many grind rails to make a good Classic Level. Unless they went with Cosmic Wall.

But I digress-- Crisis City is probably one of the most iconic levels in the game, and definitely the most unique, along with Chemical Plant.

I'm happy with the exclusion of the rail and boarding sections myself. Grind rails are overused in the series as it is, so it's a nice change of pace to see them used a little more sparingly. The boarding section would feel pretty redundant after City Escape. Not to mention that it was so awful in the original Crisis City that I would think it was best left forgotten.

Actually in generations grind rails really were not that important to progress so I would have liked optional ones.And i'd assume they would not be as long as in 06. Also a bit of switching rails would be cool. It's just it felt like the odd one out considering EVERY other level had them.

And so what's so bad about more than one skateboard area that's not City escape.? People want ice cap as dlc and with that a boarding section.

Also I'm leaning more towards Crisis city was going to have the half-pipe street board section Because of the hub. I mean everything all the other stages show on their hubs are in the actual levels. Everything except Crisis city which doesn't have the half-pipe. I mean if we get a half-pipe but no rails i'm fine since i find that a more memorable section. And SONIC actually played that area.

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog

Blaze: "I never thought I'd find myself in Crisis City again...this world is full of surprises!"

Me: WHAT THE FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Lol sorry, it's just that came to mind when I saw this topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Blaze: "I never thought I'd find myself in Crisis City again...this world is full of surprises!"

Me: WHAT THE FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Lol sorry, it's just that came to mind when I saw this topic.

THAT LINE. I'm sorry, but everything Blaze said was just an awesome chunk of canonical goodness that just felt good, ESPECIALLY if you were a Sonic Rush fan who was afraid of it getting booted out of canon like a lot of handheld games do. I really love "You got a Red Star Ring! We have something like that in my world, too."

But after all that, that Crisis City line is like a smack in the face.

Honestly anything related to Silver's , Blaze's and Eggman Nigga's origins just give me a headache...and actually I like her 06 story more, but she didn't interact with characters other than Silver...and she randomly disappeared during Silver's story at times...you never knew a thing about her in the final episode either...so I guess that's a reason people prefer her Rush character more. But she KEEPS getting paired with Silver in every game they both appear in, those being Colors DS and SG...

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honestly anything related to Silver's , Blaze's and Eggman Nigga's origins just give me a headache...and actually I like her 06 story more, but she didn't interact with characters other than Silver...and she randomly disappeared during Silver's story at times...you never knew a thing about a her in the final episode either...so I guess that's a reason people prefer her Rush character more. But she KEEPS getting paired with Silver in every game they both appear in, those being Colors DS and SG...

She also gets paired with him in mario and sonic at the winter olympics ds.

Wow, wonder what's up with Sonic Team...this is still confusing as hell...also I heard Eggman Nega contradicts himself in one of the Olympics games as well, saying he comes from an alternate dimension, afterwards saying he comes from the future...that's what I heard anyway, correct me if this is wrong.

What let me down the most was the lack of lava surfing. I was under the impression that we would have something like that but it never happened. It's still a great level though and it's atmosphere gives off an actual sense of danger and "oh lord what happened to this place" feel.

Edited by Holly Jolly Havoc
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eh. I thought Modern's Crisis City was one of the weakest acts next to Green HIll in terms of design and not because 06 sucked.

It was really REALLY skimpy on the 3D. Too much linear/forward bits that hovers over death pits and not enough open spaces. After coming off a level like Seaside Hill, everything gets super linear. Things fall apart after the first loop. The 2D sections are really dull blocked 2D platforming rather than more interesting and curvy Rush design. And the lava gimmick was dumb after the first section of it. It definitely needed the board segment to some degree, and more open highway or side of building paths similar to the duel highway splits and tubes you see in the level select, concept art, and in game in 2006. A more chemical plant highway tube vibe would have done wonders for it.

It does have some of the best music though. I'll give it that.

Edited by Tiller
  • Thumbs Up 4

Next to Planet wisp (gawd I hate that stage with a passion) I would say Modern Crisis city came out on the weaker side. Even DAT VIOLIN could not save it. Like the guy above me said, it was linear and kinda blah. Classic Crisis City on the other hand was one of the strongest stages in the game to me. And there are more reasons than just how freaking awesome that remix was. To me the level design seemed awesome, and with that trolol-ish goal post, it just said. "LOVE ME SONIC FANS".

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, everything after the Troll Post in Classic was awesome.

Modern, on the other hand, needed more speed sections.

Modern, on the other hand, needed more speed sections.

In fact, I think it needed more alternate platforming paths, more 3d, and less 2d. The speed section at the end was fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kind of off-topic, but I love the fact that the only full 3D sections of the game happen to be in the Dreamcast Era.

Kind of off-topic, but I love the fact that the only full 3D sections of the game happen to be in the Dreamcast Era.

I really liked Crisis City. Sure it was pretty linear, but it was really fun to speed run. It was like a more challenging, lava filled version of Green Hill. It takes good timing and execution to traverse both the 2D and 3D platforming sections quickly, and I find it very satisfying nailing a series of jumps or an air boost to save myself and load of time. I also felt this way about Modern Planet Wisp (possibly to an even greater extent). Knowing that you can do a level that on a normal run would take about 7 or 8 minutes is around 4 with a high level of execution and well controlled boosts and air boosts, utilizing momentum with large jumps as best you can is extremely satisfying to me.

I guess it's really down to what you're looking for in level construction. I enjoyed every level in Generations except for the Final Boss and to an extent Classic Planet Wisp (beautifully constructed just that the mandatory Spike sections happen all too often and last too long. At least with Modern Planet Wisp the Rocket is over in a second).

• Thumbs Up 1