Awoo.

Crisis City

KHCast

In fact, I think it needed more alternate platforming paths, more 3d, and less 2d. The speed section at the end was fine.

The sad thing is I think Modern Crisis City had the most 3D Sections in the game. XD

The sad thing is I think Modern Crisis City had the most 3D Sections in the game. XD

I don't know about that. It has a fair few, but it does have a fair bit of 2D as well and I think like Seaside Hill and Rooftop Run definitely have more 3D bits. The thing with it's 2D is that it feels like a lot, but it's mostly because it's all in one go. Most levels have two or even three 2D sections, whereas Crisis City has one large 2D part. My main issue with Crisis City Modern is really the lack of alternate paths. I don't mind it being linear as you can still use your skills to create alternate routes and shortcuts as SiLeNtDo0m said better than I did in my previous post, but a few more areas wouldn't have gone amiss. Oh and it's really short as well, but this is an issue with most of the levels.

I also agree with him on that it depends what you're looking for. Crisis City has the difficulty and linearity, being almost claustrophobic (and feels the most dramatic to me), while being able to make your own shortcuts, Seaside Hill has all the alternate paths, City Escape has the level gimmicks being a major part, Speed Highway is fast as shit, etc.

On a side note, I wish they'd release more screenshots for Crisis City. Planet Wisp had a massive haul of them a month or so ago, can they not do the same with Crisis City :( I want to use a good shot as an avatar or something, like where he's flying through the air after a spring or something. There's only the ones on the Generations site, and two of the Modern pictures are the same area in different angles.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh also found another 3d section! When you go on the spring that goes into the 2d buildings if you walk a little to the side after homing attacking the first iblis biter you'll see some others that lead you into a 3d area.

PLEASE BE MORE DLC ACTS!!!!CRISIS CITY NEEDS IT THE MOST!

oh sonic 0666...Look at the mess you left for generations to pick up...

Edited by the hedgehogs boost
  • Thumbs Up 1

I meant no 2D sections at all.

Sorry kid. All of M sonic's stages had some 2D in them except the Shadow boss. And that is because that boss would look stupid and not work right in 2D. Seaside Hill may have had the most 3D areas but it still had it's small portion of 2D.

Back on topic: Boost I saw that 3D passage. It really doesn't help at all and still leads you to the 2D area. Kinda sucks though. Classic Crisis City was just the better stage out of the 2 for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry kid. All of M sonic's stages had some 2D in them except the Shadow boss. And that is because that boss would look stupid and not work right in 2D. Seaside Hill may have had the most 3D areas but it still had it's small portion of 2D.

You could do the Perfect Chaos hard mode boss in 3D as well. If you choose the right path, that is.

In fact, I think it needed more alternate platforming paths, more 3d, and less 2d. The speed section at the end was fine.

This.

I think Crisis City just kind of overdid it with the 2D sections a bit too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

You could do the Perfect Chaos hard mode boss in 3D as well. If you choose the right path, that is.

Point is, you said the whole Dreamcast era has nothing but 3D stages. This is a lie. All stages in Generations except the Shadow rival fight has some 2D in them. Even Perfect Chaos.

2D is getting annoying (modern version)  i like to explore more in modern stages.

Classic 2D is still great,

Next to Planet wisp (gawd I hate that stage with a passion) I would say Modern Crisis city came out on the weaker side. Even DAT VIOLIN could not save it. Like the guy above me said, it was linear and kinda blah. Classic Crisis City on the other hand was one of the strongest stages in the game to me. And there are more reasons than just how freaking awesome that remix was. To me the level design seemed awesome, and with that trolol-ish goal post, it just said. "LOVE ME SONIC FANS".

You don't like the modern mix of crisis city? That music is sick .Your right about it being linear and barely any alternate paths. i was hoping a tornado would be chasing you down the road. I thought there was going to be a boarding part

Edited by jordine

I honestly thought Classkiu CC was a bit underwhelming. Felt a bit boring and dull, compared to the 3D stage. Still, dat goal post trolling.

2D is getting annoying (modern version) i like to explore more in modern stages.

Classic 2D is still great,

You don't like the modern mix of crisis city? That music is sick .Your right about it being linear and barely any alternate paths. i was hoping a tornado would be chasing you down the road. I thought there was going to be a boarding part

As much as I hyped that stage before the game was released I was disappointed. I was expecting more. All that did was prove to me that Crisis City (classic or modern) is Sega's way of trolling. The modern mix was weak because I didn't feel a sense of urgency with that song. But with the Classic mix....my heart was pumping, mouth drooling, boner in pants, gawd that music was sick. Def in my top 5 for best song/music in Sonic history. Modern mix's Violin was good but it did not deliver that sense of urgency to me. It seemed more like a chill, lay'd back stage song.

Kind of off-topic, but I love the fact that the only full 3D sections of the game happen to be in the Dreamcast Era.

Point is, you said the whole Dreamcast era has nothing but 3D stages. This is a lie. All stages in Generations except the Shadow rival fight has some 2D in them. Even Perfect Chaos.

The Dreamcast Era has full 3D stages, not the Dreamcast Era has nothing but 3D stages. This is kinda off-topic though.

EDIT: Well, yes the Perfect Chaos does have 2D parts, but in Hard Mode you can go full 3D.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

The Dreamcast Era has full 3D stages, not the Dreamcast Era has nothing but 3D stages. This is kinda off-topic though.

EDIT: Well, yes the Perfect Chaos does have 2D parts, but in Hard Mode you can go full 3D.

Dude I've beaten this game and played every dreamcast era stage more times than one can imagine. There is not one stage in the dreamcast era that is full 3D. Bosses do not count as a stage. And yes this is off topic.

There was something on topic I was going to say but I forgot. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, this is one of the few times I agree with Dio's views on this level, nothing but a bunch of homing attack and stomping spams, and that's it really boring to be honest, and I felt it could have done a whole lot more adding a boarding section, maybe jumping between the debris for platforming like in the Classic Act, and overall just be bigger, this is probably one of the few levels I won't go back to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say too much regarding this level as I've never played Sonic 06. The first time ever playing Crisis City for me is in Generations, so it just felt like a regular stage for me--with an 'Eff you' goal post.

Music was pretty awesome, though.

Edited by Briaaaah

Sorry about that. I was counting bosses as a stage in this case. My bad.

Not a problem. Should not have went in so hard on you. Stupid real life crap had me in a bad mood. But we kool right? lol

Shadic, I also agree with you and Dio.

• Thumbs Up 1

Blazing through Crisis City is a blast, but the stage does get dragged down when you have to stomp on those platforms though. Still one of the more fun stages to run through in the game, and far better the '06 version. I only wish it had boarding section in the beginning like in '06.

The classic version is always fun to play through, I find myself replaying it a lot. That damn sign post though...

As much as I hyped that stage before the game was released I was disappointed. I was expecting more. All that did was prove to me that Crisis City (classic or modern) is Sega's way of trolling. The modern mix was weak because I didn't feel a sense of urgency with that song. But with the Classic mix....my heart was pumping, mouth drooling, boner in pants, gawd that music was sick. Def in my top 5 for best song/music in Sonic history. Modern mix's Violin was good but it did not deliver that sense of urgency to me. It seemed more like a chill, lay'd back stage song.

Ok I'm sorry but there is no way in hell i will ever agree with that. From the beat to the speed to the violin to the song it just screamed GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!! How you got laid back and chill song is beyond me. But hey its the way you think and i can't change that. I just don't agree. Although the classic mix is good to.

Ok I'm sorry but there is no way in hell i will ever agree with that. From the beat to the speed to the violin to the song it just screamed GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!! How you got laid back and chill song is beyond me. But hey its the way you think and i can't change that. I just don't agree. Although the classic mix is good to.

When coming from Death Egg robo and Perfect Chaos (part 2) where the music had some intense and serious tone to it along with the Classic version of CC (where if that did not get your blood pumping then it's time for you to change games) Modern CC just came off to me as more relaxed. Heck even the version used in the credits came off as a more serious song along with the original. But this is jus my opinion.

I will say one good thing about Crisis City.

The part with the red ring on the 45-degree platform? Where you run up it and then jump off to the next platform?

This is the best piece of level design in the entire game. This is one of the most "Sonic" pieces of level design in the whole of the series' 3D lifespan.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, looking back at the old Crisis City, I noted something. Now, slap me if I'm wrong, but, I think that the older Crisis City actually had more branching pathways than this version. That's not to say they weren't implemented badly, but that's an attempt vs. little to no attempt.

The part with the red ring on the 45-degree platform? Where you run up it and then jump off to the next platform?

This is the best piece of level design in the entire game. This is one of the most "Sonic" pieces of level design in the whole of the series' 3D lifespan.

Really, what gave it that quality? It frightened me more than anything, but I'm actually interested in how you see that as the most Sonic piece of level design.

I will say one good thing about Crisis City.This part, right here? The part with the red ring on the 45-degree platform? Where you run up it and then jump off to the next platform?This is the best piece of level design in the entire game. This is one of the most "Sonic" pieces of level design in the whole of the series' 3D lifespan.

I'll agree. Though tough to get down due to the small entrance onto it, running along that was very satisfying.

Really, what gave it that quality? It frightened me more than anything, but I'm actually interested in how you see that as the most Sonic piece of level design.

Because it encompasses flowing platforming and skill. rather than square platforms, it uses set pieces in the environment and Sonic's natural ability to run along walls.

Stage itself, probably the only one where I liked Act1 over Act 2. Classic had much better set pieces, even if they did amount to a series of blocky platforms.

Edited by Black Spy

Because it encompasses flowing platforming and skill. rather than square platforms, it uses set pieces in the environment and Sonic's natural ability to run along walls.

I see where you're coming from. Actually, it reminded me more of Monkey Ball physics in that regard, but I can see the benefit of such things in the future. The bottomless pit did scare me from using it correctly though.

Sonic Adventure wasn't that long ago was it?

It's a brief moment of understanding that Sonic is not simply about speed or standard block-to-block platforming, and that angled/curved geometry is not just for spectacle. It's an obstacle that uses his speed, his ability to run on a surface at any angle (given a way to transition onto it), and his jump reacting properly to the surface he's on, in a way that only a proper Sonic game can. What's more, it's a design that only works in 3D, so they must have understood what they were working with, rather than it just being copy-pasted (either in actual design or in concept) from a 2D Sonic.

Sonic Adventure wasn't that long ago was it?
SA has the gameplay elements (roughly), but I don't remember it having such a perfect example of their use.
  • Thumbs Up 2