Awoo.

Crisis City

KHCast

It's a brief moment of understanding that Sonic is not simply about speed or standard block-to-block platforming, and that angled/curved geometry is not just for spectacle. It's an obstacle that uses his speed, his ability to run on a surface at any angle (given a way to transition onto it), and his jump reacting properly to the surface he's on, in a way that only a proper Sonic game can. What's more, it's a design that only works in 3D, so they must have understood what they were working with, rather than it just being copy-pasted (either in actual design or in concept) from a 2D Sonic.

SA has the gameplay elements (roughly), but I don't remember it having such a perfect example of their use.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from Dio.

You know, the more I think about it, I think Flame Core has those examples as well. I'm mostly talking about it from a level design standard, not counting the wonky physics and broken controls. I'd say that if one just took out the speed boosters, Flame Core would be the example, considering the loops and tunnels you often have to traverse in Sonic's sections. (Of course, there are also walk on wall segments that are just too narrow and can get absolutely frightening so that hurts it a lot.)

I will say one good thing about Crisis City.

The part with the red ring on the 45-degree platform? Where you run up it and then jump off to the next platform?

This is the best piece of level design in the entire game. This is one of the most "Sonic" pieces of level design in the whole of the series' 3D lifespan.

Personally I find taking that path to be a bit too touch and go (Sonic just won't grip on a lot of the time), but as far as concepts are concerned it's brilliant. That's how you use Sonic's speed and wall running capabilities. Not like in Speed Highway where speed boosters push you up on to the wall because it's the only path.

SA has the gameplay elements (roughly), but I don't remember it having such a perfect example of their use.

I really admire the balls of the developers for this stage. Taking one of the most frustratingly horrible levels from a frustratingly horrible game and putting LOTS of dick move level design in it is ballsy as hell. The trolling goal post, I like, but the constant wind, that's a 2D platformer hassle that's as old as Super Mario Bros 2 (The Lost Levels). The platforms you have to stomp that occasionally slam you into the ceiling, the enemies popping up in the most inconvenient places, and just lots of mean level design.

The Sonic Generations stage that represents the absolute lowest point of the Sonic series is beautifully presented in a very meta way. The celebratory theme of the very next level seems to say "Yeah, that's how bad Sonic 06 was, now here's where it takes a turn for the awesome!"

It's a brief moment of understanding that Sonic is not simply about speed or standard block-to-block platforming, and that angled/curved geometry is not just for spectacle. It's an obstacle that uses his speed, his ability to run on a surface at any angle (given a way to transition onto it), and his jump reacting properly to the surface he's on, in a way that only a proper Sonic game can. What's more, it's a design that only works in 3D, so they must have understood what they were working with, rather than it just being copy-pasted (either in actual design or in concept) from a 2D Sonic.

I love so many things about Crisis City in Generations. Its atmosphere, its music and lighting... It's just a pity it's so linear and lacking in variety of gameplay. I do like the feeling that the whole level is falling apart in Classic's though. It makes the platforming seem more exciting. It has some cool features too, like the sign post and I like the way Modern's transition into 2D. Of course there' too much 2D for Modern, but that's a common complaint for me for most levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, there are two other things that I really quite like about Crisis City.

The first is this:

The second is this:

Loved Crisis City in Generations. The classic stage's level design is superb, with awesome pacing and atmosphere. The platforming was difficult and kept you on your toes, one of my favorite classic stages in the game. The modern level flows excellently and has AWESOME background music, one of the best in the game.

Am I the only one who actually really liked Crisis City? It was a pretty difficult stage with a good amount of 3D Platforming and a great Quick Step section at the end that tests your skills.

Am I the only one who actually really liked Crisis City? It was a pretty difficult stage with a good amount of 3D Platforming and a great Quick Step section at the end that tests your skills.

No, there's loads of people, like me, who really love it. Just check this thread for starters :P it's a pretty love it/hate it kind of level though.

I'll say that the idea of Crisis City being pretty linear, repetitive, and condensed as presented in this thread may be a bit exacerbated because it came right after Seaside Hill.

To me, particularly for the Act 2 of the level, to go from a stage that was utterly limitless in terms of which way you could go with the freedom to mix it up in every which way, to a stage where the track is simple, straightforward, and provided substantially less ways to go, felt very jarring and stinted.

What Crisis City got right, it REALLY got right, like the Quick Step section and the precision platforming throughout, but overall it felt like a stage where metaphorical suffocation was prevalent, especially after going every which way and more in Modern Seaside Hill.

I posted this as a status update but i want to know what you truly think of this idea! ways to improve it or something. or just your opinion!

What if crisis city dlc act for classic had him going underground? like teh start of the level would have you on a lava platform eading towards a cave then you enter the cave finding a part of the city completely destroyed(like worse than outside) And that's completely were it took place. I think it would be great! It would give us a lava reef and flame core type level!:D plus with falling destroyed buildings and Stalactites.
Well what do you think?