Awoo.

2D Disney Movies/TGWTG's Disneycember

Your Vest Friend

I was certain there'd be a Disney topic already in existence that I could just bump, but the closest I can find are topic on one specific film. Huh, oh well.

So yeah, I've been spending the month following Doug's Disneycember series, and it's caused me to reflect and relate to my own preferences in Disney movies. I was pleasantly surprised when he gave such positive reviews to Fantasia and Alice in Wonderland (two films I have very dear fondness for), and I'm sure I wasn't the only person shocked that he gave the Jungle Book and the Lion King a less than perfect overview (Jungle Book I do like a lot, but I can see why he had issues with it, and he did like Kaa*. Lion King, I probably like less than him for different reasons, but I was still shocked. At least we can both agree on Can You Feel The Love Tonight!** :D).

So, I guess this can be a topic for both discussing the Disneycember series and discussing the animated Disney films in general, since I know not everyone will be interested in TGWTG.

*Come to think of it, he highlighted the crocs in the Rescuers as a positive too. And he also pointed the slapstick between the croc and Captain Hook in Peter Pan. And he loves Rescuers Down Under in general. Hmm... *conspiracy hat on*

**Specifically the one that plays in the film itself. Elton's own rendition of it is very relaxing, I love it. The film version sounds too saccarine and banal to me.

He's going to get a very long and in-depth e-mail from me for that Lion King review.

Nonetheless, this series has been a pleasure to watch, if for nothing else than to get his honest insight on these films. I'm still particularly happy about his Rescuers Down Under review. I was lucky enough to have a copy during my childhood days, and it was just the best thing ever. The animation, the adventuring and chase sequences, the characterization, and dat soundtrack. It pretty much still is the best Disney sequel ever, so hopefully more people will watch it on his recommendation.

Also, I'm wondering if he hinted at a Toy Story review today. It's the only film that sort of fits the narrative he brought up at the end, but at the same time, it's Pixar. Not sure how I feel about that if true. xP

Haven't watched Nostalgia Critic for a long time now I found's angry reviews becoming stale, but if they are postitive reviews I might watch that.smile.png

EDIT: I have got stop reading TGWTG comments full of sycophantic people. dry.png

Edited by BW251211

Haven't watched Nostalgia Critic for a long time now I found's angry reviews becoming stale, but if they are postitive reviews I might watch that.smile.png

Not all of them are positive per se, but none of them are anywhere near the style of the typical Nostalgia Critic review, even if he doesn't particularly like a given film.

One thing that irks me is that so many people are pissed off at him because he didn't think the Lion King was the best thing ever, even though he clearly says that he still likes it. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, I'm wondering if he hinted at a Toy Story review today. It's the only film that sort of fits the narrative he brought up at the end, but at the same time, it's Pixar. Not sure how I feel about that if true. xP

It's been hinted that he'll do Enchanted and Tangled when they come up.

I know he isn't covering the recent Winnie the Pooh movie but I guess it is too recent to put in or he hasn't seen it yet.

Nevertheless, I love Disneycember so far.It's cool to for him to give his own thoughts on Disney movies without his Nostalgia Critic character.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Lion King is overrated.

I think it's enjoyable movie, but I'd hardly consider it Disney's best. That honor, to me, goes to Beauty and the Beast for the reasons he outlined in his review. I find the story well-written, the characters memorable, and the music fantastic. Lion King is huge, for sure, and I enjoy most of the characters, but nowadays I'm not sure how I feel about the second half of the film, once Timon and Pumbaa step in.

EDIT:

One thing that irks me is that so many people are pissed off at him because he didn't think the Lion King was the best thing ever, even though he clearly says that he still likes it. :/

Ugh, that's just lame. Opinions, people have them.

Edited by Mega

Not all of them are positive per se, but none of them are anywhere near the style of the typical Nostalgia Critic review, even if he doesn't particularly like a given film.

I watched a few and I found them to be quite good and honest reviews because they not in his NC style.

I don't know I just think his NC reviews are boring and stale of late.

I love the Lion King and Oliver and Company but its just his opinion and to me they are fair opinions.smile.png

It's been hinted that he'll do Enchanted and Tangled when they come up.

I know he isn't covering the recent Winnie the Pooh movie but I guess it is too recent to put in or he hasn't seen it yet.

Nevertheless, I love Disneycember so far.It's cool to for him to give his own thoughts on Disney movies without his Nostalgia Critic character.

Well, Tangled is an actual Walt Disney Animation feature film so I can easily see him including it. Enchanted? Meh, I can see the case for that one considering it's basically a Disney princess film/parody thingie only in live action, but at the same time I feel the same way about it as I do Toy Story's potential inclusion; they're not full-blooded WDA films in what is basically a WDA-based series. But that's an unnecessary nitpick. I'm liking this series regardless.

Also, he's not doing the new Pooh movie? Sadness. =(

I'm enjoying these. I always like the videos where Doug just talks about his opinions on films as himself instead of being a fictional character. Even if I don't always agree with him, I can't usually fault him since he's explaining his opinions in a calm, adult manner, as opposed to shouting at the camera like a rabid, snarky manchild. That shit tends to get old after a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's going to get a very long and in-depth e-mail from me for that Lion King.

Promise me you'll not watch Confused Matthews review of The Lion King, Neppy, for the sake of your health ^_^;

It could be that... or it could be Hunchback. Hunchback is epic.

Edited by Gerku(snow)man

I agree with Doug disliking "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" especially since I heard the original version.

Yeah, I agree with Doug that the message is a little esqued, but I find that to be something the story-team overlooked rather than something done on purpose. Remember, people thought this would be a bomb so I doubt too much was invested in continuity in the story. Not to mention that it was the end, and those parts are always where film-makers start to wear down. But really, I just don't see it as something to look down on the movie for.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Promise me you'll not watch Confused Matthews review of The Lion King, Neppy, for the sake of your health happy.png;

I've already taken a turn for the worse after what the NC said. *flops on a chair*

But I have heard mixed things about that review depending on what side of the Lion King fence people already sit on, but I may watch it anyway. Who knows; it might be entertaining. =P

It could be that... or it could be Hunchback. Hunchback is epic.

Hunchback was pretty epic from what I can remember of it- I haven't seen it much- but it didn't really break the descent Disney found itself in. Toy Story, on the other hand, started a new type of animated film making, so hey that's why I'm hedging my bets on it as one of the focuses tomorrow. But we'll see. x3

I'm also interested in what he'll say about Lilo and Stitch. That's another film that's really found itself on the dividing line in the years since it came out. People either really love it or really hate it.

I'm loving Disneycember so far. I hope he rips Chicken Little a new one. God I hate that movie.

How right you are. When I saw the beginning, it seemed like it would be an good movie, but it got worse and worse after each scene.

Anyway, it seems like I really should check out The Beauty and the Beast. I never watched since I don't like those "Im a princess/pretty girl and I want to find my prince" movies, but this seems to be good.

Oh, and my favourite disney movie is "The Jungle Book". Dunno why though. Nostalgia I guess.

Edited by Thigolf

Wait, people hate Lilo and Stitch...? o_o

Blasphemy! One of the most enjoyable movies Disney ever put out.

I haven't been watching this Disneycember series, but I appreciate any appreciation for Disney non-CG works. Among my personal favorites are the two Rescuers movies. I'm just sad they only made two, because they could have made a bunch, or at least a Disney Afternoon cartoon series, easily.

Point #1; In hindsight, Doug's opinions on both Rescuers films shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone, since he spelled out his opinions in the Top 11 Underrated Classics

Point #2;.

I'm just sad they only made two, because they could have made a bunch, or at least a Disney Afternoon cartoon series, easily.

Fun fact: Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers started out as being a Rescuers cartoon series in conception. The production of Rescuers: Down Under made the cartoon producers decide against it though, and it was retooled into what we have now.

His machine has been hit by a virus, which is why there was no regular NC episode as well.

Moral of the story; let VEDJ-F speak, and you get what you want.

The next three episodes of Disneycember are on Blip! You can view them on the main TGWTG site by running any NC video previously released and waiting for the "Related Videos" thing that appears after the video has run.

I was going to complain about the Emperors New Groove movie review.... then I realised that maybe my policy of ignoring the flaws of a production if I liked the villains might not be a very good policy to have. Not for someone who'd want to be a reviewer as a hobby anyway. I do still love the movie though. I just need to collect my thoughts on why and work out a good enough rebuttal.