Awoo.

2D Disney Movies/TGWTG's Disneycember

Your Vest Friend

I agree with him on all the flaws of Treasure Planet and Atlantis. But my major problem with those movies is that they were just so boring to me. I literally can't watch either of those films without wanting to fall asleep.

And...that's it! The last six episodes are now on Blip. I haven't watched them yet so I'll just tootle off and do so.

Normally I wouldn't say that Rescuers Down Under is my favorite Disney film but that's Normally because I forget it's a Disney film. I first saw it when I was young and never really paid attention to branding back then and later on I assumed it was a Don Bluth movie or something for whatever reason.

101 Dalmatians would probably be my second favorite, but then I remember that they also made that Robinhood adaptation.

After that it's basically "Hey, do you want another movie with a really formulaic plot? Do you want to hear an audible clunk every time we've moved on to the next act?" I feel a bit guilty including "Hunchback" in this but in spite of having seen it I can only recall snippets of it that I've seen in Doug's videos. I didn't even remember the gargoyles. The same goes for Hercules, apart from the bit where I think it has any redeeming qualities (Hades was not funny). They (mostly) all look nice, but that's really all I can say about most of them.

Oh, and I'm happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Ghibli is the best animation studio.

I can't be the only one who thought that he went a bit overboard with the nitpicks for the final few reviews, can I? Granted, I may be a bit biased because I absolutely loved Winnie the Pooh and would easily include Tangled as one of my favorite Disney movies; right up there with the Renaissance films.

Guess I might as well list my favorites, just to give a general view on my opinions on the movies (in no particular order):

• The Lion King
  • Mulan
  • Aladdin
  • Tangled
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I'm probably going to be alone here, but eh. Guess I can't help being born in the 90's. :P

I can't be the only one who thought that he went a bit overboard with the nitpicks for the final few reviews, can I? Granted, I may be a bit biased because I absolutely loved Winnie the Pooh and would easily include Tangled as one of my favorite Disney movies; right up there with the Renaissance films.

He did, but I don't mind it since he acknowledged that they were just nitpicks and weren't that important in the long run. I also don't blame him, since he was dealing with such high quality animated films (Well, most of them, anyway.) and when you need to completely analyze your thoughts on each while still throwing in a few critical elements and things that you felt could be improved, you're going to run into some nitpicks here and there. I still very much enjoyed Disneycember in the long run.

This was a pretty entertaining series. But I really wanted him to tear apart chicken little :(

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll do a CGI month next December.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

I still very much enjoyed Disneycember in the long run.

Agreed. Hard as he may have been with my favorites, he did a very good job of articulating what he disliked, rather than treating everything as a flaw.

I'm really glad he got around to reviewing Lilo & Stitch, I was looking forward to seeing his views on it. Although, it's a shame that he didn't enjoy the aliens in the movie too much. I honestly loved them, especially Stitch. He's the reason I have "stitch" as part of my username, he's my favorite Disney character!

But, even with that, these reviews are all very interesting and it's great to see Doug actually talk to his viewers calmly and in an understanding tone about what he thinks about movies that many consider to be classics.

Gonna list my favourites as well:

The Lion King (best straight to DVD sequel imo as well)

Aladdin

Lilo & Stitch

Emperor's New Groove

Tarzan

Granted, I missed most of the Disney Renaissance for some reason, but I'm hoping to catch up eventually.

re: the overrated thing

You can enjoy a movie and still think it's overrated. :B I like TLK, but I just don't think it's the greatest Disney film ever.

Also, I thought his views on these were interesting overall. He made some good points with Brother Bear. Especially the animal chars.

I sort of agree with him on Atlantis. It had some bad points, yes...but I really ended up enjoying the movie in the end. Must be the cyan colored symbols everywhere.

Watching these reviews really got me in the mood to watch some Disney movies again..or watch some animated ones I haven't before like Robin Hood.

Also, he reviewed The Rescuers Down Under, which I had heard of and seen the first Rescuers movie, but I honestly didn't expect him to talk about how incredible he thought the second to be. With how obscure it is, it just seemed like that happened because of people not enjoying it. Nevertheless, he got me curious to check that out too.

Some of us are listing favourites now? Let me join in!

-Alice in Wonderland

-Lilo and Stitch

-The Aristocats

-Fantasia

-The Jungle Book

...Well, yes, I was born in the 90s thus exposed to the renaissance period of Disney. However, I saw them through VHS as opposed to in cinema, and my parents (no doubt through their childhood experience) made sure that I got as much of the old Disney as the 'new' Disney.

And the only 'new' one on my list? I didn't see until about 2005. Herp a derp.

I'm probably the oldest sketch on this board in terms of tastes for Disney movies. My Top 5 being.

Pinocchio

Fantasia

Lion King

Sleeping Beauty

Alice in Wonderland

If there is one thing I love old Disney the most for, it's for the artistry and the fact that he placed so much effort in making his movies seem more like expressions of emotions rather than just stories. Doug addressed that really well in his reviews of them, though I'd like to address a certain point on the female characters of the older Disney movies.

It's true, the female characters are very weak as well as the romance, but I think that is a fault of the original source material rather than Walt's own fault. You literally cannot improve the romance of Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella without changing a lot of the core basics from the original tale. Walt realized this and chose to put more emphasis on his side-characters so that he could fill more space without having to change the story all too much. I think what proves my point best is Lady and the Tramp, a movie where the love actually had to develop before getting anywhere.

I actually watched Rescuer's Down Under before the first one. I always loved it.

Favorites include:

The Little Mermaid

Beauty and the Beast

Pocahontas (Yes, I liked that movie)

Lion King

Treasure Planet

Tarzan

Hunchback of Notre Dame

Cinderella

Aladdin

Sword and the Stone

Rescuer's Down Under

So after I watched a few more disney movies, I have a new favourite: Pinocchio.

Honestly, this choice surprises even me although I made that decision. I love almost nothing in this movie, but there isn't much (or anything at all) that I hate. For example, in the Jungle Book, I love the songs and most of the characters, but I don't like the plot sometimes. In The Hunchback, I love the story, the songs and few of the characters, but the gargoyles ruin so much for me honestly. But Pinocchio has only few "Wow" moments, or any real moments that made me think "Damn, I gotta watch this movie more often" or something.

So why is this movie my favourite then? Well, because I like everything, this like combines to a huge love (if that even makes sense). All the characters are likeable and interesting (and those who aren't only appear rarely, like the blue fairy), the plot is good and pretty dark sometimes (which I LOVE in children movies, the donkey scenes are one of the rare "love" moments in this movie), the animation is gorgeous (the scene with all those watches is just amazing, all those details!), the songs are not really songs you constantly hum because they are so catchy, but they are still really good songs and very fitting and the message is pretty good (I think messages are really important in Disney movies). And all this makes the movie to one big, excellent and magical film.

One thing I like to point out is Figaro. Disney main characters often get some animals or other "funny" objects and persons so little kids get entertained, like Mushu in Mulan or the gargoyles in the Hunchback. Most of the time, this is annoying (at least I feel that way), but it works so well with Figaro (which is the cat of Gepetto if you couldn't remember that), because he is just a normal little cat with very few human behaviour. He isn't funny because he makes popcultural references or something, no, he is funny because he is a little, cute cat. It's so simple but it works out so well.

I'll add some other things soon, but that's it for right now (so tired...).

Edited by Thigolf