Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Trophy Analysis

Badnik Mechanic

I'm planning on getting a Platinum trophy in this game eventually, but I'm really slow with my progress now because of the Red Star Rings and the total bore that is the Time Eater boss battle. Getting those trophies simply isn't that fun to do and to be entirely honest? Not that rewarding either.

You get Super Sonic just by beating the game, for crying out loud.

I wanted to become the 1st person to get the platinum, but I ended up 26th... dayam it...

There were two things that stand out for me which annoyed me in this game. And Hogfather mentioned them both, the first one was the Vector mission. It left a bad taste on my mouth honestly. The BGM was annoying and sometimes the homing attack does not respond in time and you will lose. I can't remember how long I've been on this mission, but it was pretty dayam long.

Another was the "Can't Touch This". I didn't know at the time you CAN touch the rocks and stuff and still get the trophy, so I made it more difficult for myself. The BGM was dull (yes I know I can change it, but I wasn't bothered) and "Sonic's friends" repeating the homing missile attack. I was going to mute the TV, but to me sound plays an important factor for this so I had to leave it on.

But Sonic Generations is a much MUCH easier game to platinum than Unleashed, little skill is required to get the platinum. Disappointed on the difficulty as you can pretty much say, Sonic Generations falls in the category on the "fastest to get platinums". With solid trophy guides in place, you can get the platinum within 2 days.

Sonic Unleashed is in a different level, the "werehog" was a major turnoff for starters, then collecting 400 moon/sun medals which are ridiculously a pain, then the "Hungry Hungry Hedgehog" trophy as well as the hot dog trophies. And I still haven't counted all of the time consuming trophies in this game.

Edited by Spiced Christmas

Once I saw the Hot Dog Eggmanland missions, I threw the game out the window.

Yeah, I still need to get those Red Rings in Generations. I wish I got a reward for S ranking the missions, since I could've spent all that time getting the other trophies. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually one trophy away from getting Platinum, and it's "Time Attacker". I've been doing speedruns and I refuse to move on to the next level until I get at least in the top 100 for the next one. I'm up to Crisis City Act 2, which leaves on two stages- Rooftop Run Act 2 and Planet Wisp Act 2 before I get my third Platinum Trophy. (The first two being "Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time" and "inFamous".)

Unleashed is an absolute BASTARD with those trophies-- I'm 92%, missing the Hot Dog missions from Empire City, Adabat, and Eggmanland. (And by proxy, Hungry, Hungry, Hedgehog.) It's so disheartening because I got EVERYTHING else. All the skills, all the stages, all the damn medals, but those Hot Dog stand missions... *Shudder*

I'm glad Generations is a lot more forgiving, as all you really need to do to get the Platinum Trophy is be dedicated to the game and its completion, and also just get good at it, which is how it should be.

Also, I really enjoyed reading up on those stats, Hogfather. I took Statistics! So I like this kind of stuff.

Am I the only one who actually LIKES the Vector mission? Seriously? I guess you guys can't use HA well huh? Just for clarification, HA is much more "loose" than usual, which is something I like. You need to aim it yourself properly.

And on a side note... Vector throws the note to few places, they are always same. Tennis players might get this: I play from the net on that mission.

Am I the only one who actually LIKES the Vector mission? Seriously? I guess you guys can't use HA well huh? Just for clarification, HA is much more "loose" than usual, which is something I like. You need to aim it yourself properly.

And on a side note... Vector throws the note to few places, they are always same. Tennis players might get this: I play from the net on that mission.

In other words you stand really close to him? Tried that, the mission is still annoying.

In other words you stand really close to him? Tried that, the mission is still annoying.

Not really close, like... Half of the "stadium" close. Think with a tennis court in mind because that's exaclty what you are playing with Vector except the "ball" must not touch it once. And like I said, the HA actually needs you to FACE the thing you want to HA properly or else it doesn't lock on.

And for being on topic:

If I had a PS3 and SG on PS3, I'd get that Platinium so hard that it would hurt :P

Nice stuff BTW. For some reason I love reading stuff like this.

That Vector challenge really was not that difficult at all. Seems like the lot of you were tricked by Vector at the very end or just weren't paying that much attention in the first place. I suppose it's understandable considering how repetitive the mission was, but even so I don't understand why this challenge in particular is getting so much ire.

It's one of the easiest in the entire game. I completed it on my first try with no problems and personally, I enjoyed it.

Edited by Chooch Kringle
  • Thumbs Up 1

That Vector challenge really was not that difficult at all. Seems like the lot of you were tricked by Vector at the very end or just weren't paying that much attention in the first place. I suppose it's understandable considering how repetitive the mission was, but even so I don't understand why this challenge in particular is getting so much ire.

If I could've gotten a Sonic avatar for my PSN account, I wouldn't have wasted ANY time. My two favorite series are Sonic and Ratchet & Clank, and as much as I love Ratchet, I want to show off Sonic! He's not PlayStation exclusive, so I feel he'd be a cooler avatar. As for PlayStation Home... I unlocked bother PSH rewards in Sonic Adventure and I still haven't bothered to go check them out.

The Vector mission wasn't THAT hard. I found a trick to completely skip the first part with the blue notes.

As for Unleashed's Hard Boiled, It wasn't really difficult. With glitch abuse, this level is painfully easy. The ones that did give me trouble were Holoska(LONG AS **** NIGHT STAGE!) and Empire City.(Those spiked girders can suck it...)

This is fascinating. Still, as Hogfather pointed out, we may see a lot of those who've only played partway through the game pull the rest o the way when they get some free time. There's such a close release of superb titles so close to Christmas, that I can easily see a lot of players put some hours into Sonic Generations and then get hooked on a different game, like Skyrim, Battlefield, or Batman.

To put in perspective, I've got all achievements on Generations, but I still haven't completed New Game Plus on Arkham City. Skyrim trumped Batman for my attention span, which is damned impressive.

I did everything on this game no problem, "Time Attacker" was my last earned trophy in the game.

And to think, there was a time when you couldn't play because the trophies weren't working for you.

And to think, there was a time when you couldn't play because the trophies weren't working for you.

Fixed, happy.png

System Restore is always handy laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Well now, one week since Christmas, so do we think Sonic Generations' trophy data has changed much?

Oh yes it most certainly has.

Now remember, this data doesn't include every PS3 owner who has or since last week has recieved/played Generations. It also doesn't take into account Xbox 360 owners (something we can't ever find out).

Pre-Christmas day Generations players = 3872

New years Day Generations players = 4955!

So in the week since Christmas day an extra 1083 people have either bought Generations or recieved it as a Christmas gift (remember this isn't total users so the number is likely a lot higher than that).

However... if you then look at the numbers of people who actually beat the game, the increase from the old number is only 341. The extra 1000+ people only saw an extra 341 people beat the game? Whats going on? Well... it's possible that people simply had a lot of games, if someone has a lot of games and gets them on one day, chances are they might simply be playing one game. Might be interesting to see if this number changes significantly when it gets to the end of January.

However, signs that people have been playing the game come from these two trophies...

34854.png34856.png

Beat Metal Sonic & Death Egg Robot.

The numbers of people who have these over the numbers pre christmas day are as follows.

Metal Sonic: 713 extra people.

Death Egg Robot: 667 extra people.

From those it does seem that the extra 1000 odd people who have since picked up Generations have played a good chunk of it if this data is accurate.

Now then.... the platinum... has that changed at all?

Pre Christmas Day platinum numbers: 522.

New Years Day platinum numbers: 595

It's quite a small increase but sorta expected since Generations has two tricky trophies in it, defeat time eater (which hasn't changed too much since last week). However, the week since Christmas has brought up some additional interesting data.

35001.png

Pre Christmas Day: 628.

New years Day: 720.

Difference: 92

35003.png

Pre Christmas Day: 773.

New Years Day: 891

Difference: 118

The numbers are very close together, it brings us to two possible conclusions... 1: Either trophy hunters are after the platinum. 2: People are enjoying Generations enough to play the replay value.

Due to the numbers being so similar, I would have to leave that it would mainly be trophies driving this change. However, that doesn't mean that people are not enjoying the game, many people who don't enjoy the game will stop playing it and abandon getting platinum, I suspect that this would be very true after christmas day if someone got a lot of new games. Why be playing a game you didn't like if you had some new ones that you did?

What can we draw from this data?

Well... it would suggest that Generations has sold remarkably well considering the competition it had from Uncharted 3, MW3, Dark Souls and several other big popular titles.

Remember when I mentioned Ace Combat: Assault Horizon in the openning post? Well look at this.

Total number of people who have played AC:AH pre Christmas Day = 3567.

New Years Day numbers = 3901

Difference of 334 new players to the game in the week since I last took down the numbers. Meaning in 1 week, Generations saw an increase of 749 people playing that game over Ace Combat. Now Ace Combat is a very good game which got a metacritic score very similar to Generations.

So you might say, well maybe popularity had something to do with it? Maybe... but how do you explain this?

Spider-Man Edge of Time has seen an increase in people playing it of only 147.

I think the increase in people playing the game has a lot to do with people believing that Generations is indeed a very good game, whilst the trophy list has a tough trophy in it which might explain the low platinum number (11.96%). It doesn't explain the huge jump in new players to it over other games which also should have seen increases in people playing.

The data is open to interpretation, but from what I've seeing, it looks like people really wanted this game, the high number of people playing it pre-Christmas Day was a good indicator that it was selling well to it's competitors, but the jump since Christmas Day seems to support this, that Generations was something that people really wanted....

Now... if only there was a way to see the same data for Xbox achivements.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, it's not a complete set of numbers by any means, but you could look at a site called TrueAchievements as a sample, if you will.

http://www.trueachievements.com/SONIC-GENERATIONS-xbox-360.htm

It only counts people who have registered for the site, but it's better than nothing at least...I'm sure you've considered this or a site like it though.

EDIT: Changed the link to the standard game view instead of my personal progress view, derp.

Edited by Merry Mykonos

I will still protest with my dying breath that the homing attack screws you over a lot more in the Espio VS mission than the Vector VS mission. The only thing that makes the latter 'hard' is the fact that there's an actual defined 'failure'. I still find it (both of them) enjoyable, and they're the ones I replay the most.

l need to get the Time Eater trophy before I get platinum.

Edited by VEDJ-F