Awoo.

Best and Worst Sonic game in your opinion

AlphaRuby

I thought I would start a thread asking you what your best and/or worst Sonic games are. You can give just your best game, worst game, or both, it's all up to you. One thing I ask of you is to please elaborate on your opinion.

As for me, I don't have a best Sonic game yet as I haven't played that many, and I only recently got back into the franchise.

My choice of worst Sonic game is an easy one: Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the Game Boy Advance. Why? The framerate is terrible, making it very uneasy to the eyes and making the game unplayable. There is also the zoom to fit the GBA screen size, making it almost impossible to see enemies coming towards you while you are running. The music is also atrocious, even with the GBA's not very outstanding sound quality. The arrangements of all the tracks (with the exception of Star Light Zone) are either raped (Green Hill Zone, Spring Yard Zone, Labyrinth Zone) or half-arsed (all the others). And finally, the slowdown that is all over the game: For example, the speed shoes causes slowdown, jumping causes slowdown, having 3 or more enemies on the screen causes slowdown, the water (which is slow enough in the original) also slows down the game, and (not sure if this is true but many people have said it), the sound actually causes most of the lag.

That's my opinion, what are yours?

Edited by dwibs93

The best Sonic game in MY OPINION would be Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). I used to hate it, but there was one thing I love about the game and that was going through the game as my favorite character, Silver. Ever since playing the game again, I begun to love this game and also Sonic's gameplay as well to a point that it made the top of my favorite games list. I like the game because it's different, it's fun and the new character.

The worst Sonic game? Adventure 1. That game has gameplay that didn't belong and the graphics were horrible.

Worst: Sonic Labirynth-thats quite obvious. I need to think for some time to choose best Sonic game IMO.

I'll list off my best/worst for Console Sonic Games and Handheld Sonics.

Best Console game: Sonic Generations. It has the best gameplay and some of the best level design in the entire franchise, a minimal but well written story. Immense replayability, only beaten out by the Mega Drive games, great boss fights, kickass music. and some of the best aesthetics in the series.

Best Handheld game: Sonic 2. It's one of the hardest Sonic games, if not the hardest, which makes me like it a bit more, it was probably the only Sonic game that gave you a good non Super Sonic incentive to collect all the Chaos Emeralds, and I felt it was the only Game Gear Sonic with memorable music.

Worst Console game: Sonic Adventure 2. It made the previously tolerable Hunting stages nigh unplayable to to a broken radar, Speed stages were either boring and unfun or linear. Shooting stages were flat out terrible. The voice acting was the worst in the series,

aesthetically the levels are only surpassed by Unleashed as the overall blandest in the franchise, and Unleashed's levels at least felt like actual Sonic levels. The existing characters present could have been replaced by more or less anything else and there wouldn't be much difference, especially in regards to the plot, which is the thing I loathe the most about the game, and I never cared for the Chao Gardens.

Worst Handheld game: Sonic Blast: Poor graphics, physics that make Sonic 4 E1's look good, forgettable music, Heinous level design, easy bosses, pathetic length, and the worst designed levels in any game ever, Blue Marine acts 1 and 2.

Edited by Wearied Snowflakes
  • Thumbs Up 2

Best: Sonic Unleashed HD. Overall I found it very enjoyable, allthough there were parts that pissed me off like medal farming and the qte's in eggmanland.

Worst: Sonic CD. While I have a nostalgic connection to it, I found the entire game to be shit.

Edited by Sonikku Jenerēshonzu
  • Thumbs Up 2

Best: Sonic Unleashed HD. Overall I found it very enjoyable, allthough there were parts that pissed me off like medal farming and the qte's in eggmanland.

Worst: Sonic CD. While I have a nostalgic connection to it, I found the entire game to be shit.

I agree with your bit on Sonic CD;

Best Console Game: Sonic Colors. It's pretty much the Unleashed formula, yet with alot more 2D segments, (Which I love, some of you might hate it though.) more platforming, and power-ups to make the game seem like a worthy opponent to Mario.

Best Handheld Game: Sonic Generations. Just to let you know, I haven't purchased many handheld Sonic games, but out of the ones I've played, this is the best so far.

Worst Console Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Well..I just can't handle this game, the thousands of glitches, terrible story, and suckish gameplay. It's possibly the worst Sonic game ever made, and maybe even one of the worst videogames ever made.

Worst Handheld Game: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Like I said before, I haven't played many handheld Sonic titles, so this one is probably the worst. The story gets annoying after a while, sometimes in the game you have absolutely no idea what to do, and some of the characters are really out of their characteristics.

Edited by Nerdy-Hedgehog

Time for me to join the party.

Best console game: Sonic Adventure 1. This is THE game for me and started my second true golden age for Sonic. When my interest for Sonic waned, it was Adventure that ignited that flame again. The gameplays were spectacular (the only one I didn't like as much was Tails), excellent graphics for a time during a time where they were starting to become a bit more sophisticated, and an overall great story that allowed me to get attached to the characters.

Best handheld game: Sonic Triple Trouble. A bona-fide classic that trumps every main series Classic game except Sonic CD. The characters had similarities, but were much more distinctive in their abilities, giving Sonic's and Tails's gameplay identities. It also provided the best water level in the series before Aquarium Park: Tidal Plant.

Worst console game: Sonic Shuffle. Hated everything about this game: the graphics, tedious gameplay, and deceptive AI. The worst 3D Sonic game I've ever played.

Worst handheld game: Sonic 2 on the Game Gear. I think most people who detest this game will know when I say this: wavering difficulty and cheaply hard controls, especially in the Act 2 zone where I'm supposed to glide. Worst Sonic game I've ever played.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 2

The worst Sonic game? Adventure 1. That game has gameplay that didn't belong and the graphics were horrible.

Wait, what? How were the graphics horrible? From a technical point of view, they were great by 1998 standards. From an aestethic point of view, well, i can agree that many environments were a bit plain and boring. But Sonic 06 was at least ten times worse in that regard...

• Thumbs Up 3

Worst 3D Game

Sonic Heroes. Sonic 2006 is glitchy as hell but the gameplay is alright when you work around those glitches. Heroes though I really dislike the gameplay. Original but unexciting level design, and too much bland combat.

Best 3D Game

Yeah Generations. I still love Unleashed like crazy but I can't deny they improved on the level design substantially here.

Worst 2D Game

Sonic Blast for totes.

Best 2D Game

Sonic Colours Wii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otjanp9aXgw

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 6

Wait, what? How were the graphics horrible? From a technical point of view, they were great by 1998 standards. From an aestethic point of view, well, i can agree that many environments were a bit plain and boring. But Sonic 06 was at least ten times worse in that regard...

I didn't want to say anything, But Adventure 1 on the Dreamcast did have pretty terrible graphics, but that was because they weren't aware of what the new technology could handle at the time. By the time Adventure 2 came out, they realized they had more to work with then they originally thought.

Or so I've heard.

In my opinion the best Sonic game is Sonic3&Knuckles. The gameplay is top notch and every single level diversifies the gameplay, meaning that the game never get's repetitive while still gradually increasing the challenge and the excitement. It also has what I would consider to be the perfect Sonic story. No dialogue, yet there's a developing story throughout the entire game with a recognisable three act structure: The first act introduces a new antagonist who can outwit Sonic with his knowledge of the traps and pitfalls of Angel Island and who is allied with the original villain, reaching its climax at Launch Base when we find that the Death Egg is still intact and Eggman is planning to relaunch it. The second act has the scene set with Sonic racing to find and destroy the crashed doomsday ship, while Knuckles and Eggman keep fighting him. Sonic finds the Death Egg, but only ends up almost falling victim to a vulcanic eruption. The second act's climax is Sonic and Knuckles finally fighting head-on. Finally, the third act has Eggman betray Knuckles, Sonic & Knuckles joining forces, and the world is saved. All plotlines are tied up as the secrets of Angel Island are revealed, Knuckles lives up to his role as guardian, the Death Egg is destroyed and everybody lives happily ever after until the next game. Hurrah!

If you won't let me count two combined games as one game, then I think Sonic CD is the best game. It's just jam-packed with Sonic goodness. Plus, it's the only Sonic game you have two completely different means to get the good ending and four different versions of each act to explore. And Metal Sonic. Freakin' awesome.

The worst is Sonic 06. Sonic Labyrinth was a horrible genre switch, but 06 was just plain unfinished. It was a slap in the face to the entire fandom to think their standards would be so low they'd shelve out cash at anything. Best thing about 06 is that it forced Sega to reevalutate their priorities and every Sonic game released since has been a big step up.

I'd say the best one is SG, worst one Colors, why? If you need a reason I just didn't like how slow they made Sonic on that one, plus the forced Wisp powers all over the fucking place, the game being 2D 90% of the time and it had extremely short/boring levels. It ruined the formula for a while imo ,and I hated the pun-filled plot as well, but that doesn't matter, as I hated the gameplay with a passion.

• Thumbs Up 2

(This is for 3d games, by the way)

For best, I will have to say Sonic Generations, for blending the platforming and free movement of the Adventure games, and the speed of Unleashed in the Modern stages (This gameplay needs to be expanded on in Future Sonic titles, and improved because, as great as it is, it's still not perfect), and an amazing (if not 100% accurate) Classic Sonic. Honourable mention to Unleashed, while the gameplay is not quite up to snuff (while still fun) on both sides, it has an expansive, alive world and a feel of polish that keeps me coming back.

Worst? Shadow The Hedgehog. Yes, I think it's a little worse then 06. Yes, it's less glitched, but it has SO many unfitting things for a Sonic game. Guns, excessive and extremely-out-of-place, just for the heck of it swearing (MOTHERFUCKING SWEARING DOESN'T MAKE THINGS ANY MORE FUCKING ADULT), extremely grriiimmmdaarrrkkkk story, un-colourful, drab settings (except for a few zones), the list goes on man, and I hate it for that. And the controls were pretty bad here too. So yeah. Worst Sonic game ever.

That's my two boost gauges on the matter.

I'd say the best one is SG, worst one Colors, why? If you need a reason I just didn't like how slow they made Sonic on that one, plus the forced Wisp powers all over the fucking place, the game being 2D 90% of the time and it had extremely short/boring levels. It ruined the formula for a while imo ,and I hated the pun-filled plot as well, but that doesn't matter, as I hated the gameplay with a passion.

You know, the wisp powers were not forced (meaning you did not HAVE to use them) except in a few places. Just saying.

Edited by Chaos Warp

You know, the wisp powers were not forced (meaning you did not HAVE to use them) except in a few places. Just saying.

I can recall at least 10 places where you absolutely HAD to use them, and the Cube oh god...it was the worst out of the bunch, it made everything SO SLOW, it took forever to turn those blue boxes into blue rings and vice versa...Super Sonic was poorly performed, and the music that plays when you use him is the most annoying thing I've heard in a "3D" Sonic game. But we all have our opinions...bet you loved the game like most people do, I just can't understand what was so great about it, and I don't care about playing it again...good thing that's the only Sonic game I've actually pirated...

I can recall at least 10 places where you absolutely HAD to use them, and the Cube oh god...it was the worst out of the bunch, it made everything SO SLOW, it took forever to turn those blue boxes into blue rings and vice versa...Super Sonic was poorly performed, and the music that plays when you use him is the most annoying thing I've heard in a "3D" Sonic game. But we all have our opinions...bet you loved the game like most people do, I just can't understand what was so great about it, and I don't care about playing it again...good thing that's the only Sonic game I've actually pirated...

At least ten places in the entire game, and Super Sonic is better here than he is in Generations

Can't really say as I haven't really used him much. One thing that's definitely improved is the level's music stays untouched even if you turn Super. The only things I can praise about Colors is its soundtrack and Planet Wisp, which luckily made it to SG. The game had potential, but it sucked due to it being developed for the Wii, SG shows how Colors should've been, even if the level is full of traps, but that's only because Planet Wisp is the final level of the game and it needed to be hard a la EggmanLand style.

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog

Best: Sonic Generations

- Pretty fun, nice controles and awesome graphics.

Also the first game since Heroes that keeps me playing it after 100% it (and that is awesome).

Worst: Shadow the Hedgehog

- Didn't like the story, the gameplay (I hate those timed destroy x things missions as well the veihcles and guns) and oh, the way you progress in the game and that you have to beat the game x times to get the Final Boss.

@SilvertheHedgehog

Pardon me, but what the fuck does Colors being developed for the Wii have to do with anything?

Anyway....

Best: Generations

Great gameplay, graphics, level design, and music.

Worst: Sonic Blast

Ugly graphics, terrible music, horrible gameplay, and that ducking underwater level.

Edited by Sonimas032

@SilvertheHedgehog

Pardon me, but what the fuck does Colors being developed for the Wii have to do with anything?

Simple...the Wii isn't powerful enough to handle massive levels and true speed like the HD consoles do, this is why Colors is extremely different from Unleashed and SG, so what do they do to "make up" for it? Fill each and every level with speed killing wisps, that's what. Why do people care so much about my big dislike toward Colors? I know game reviewers and reviews influence people, but if I didn't like it then I just didn't like it...I'm saying this just in case someone mentions the general public and "professional game reviewers" loved the game...

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog

Simple...the Wii isn't powerful enough to handle massive levels and true speed like the HD consoles do, this is why Colors is extremely different from Unleashed and SG, so what do they do to "make up" for it?

The Wii IS powerful enough to do what you listed only diffrence is the graphics.

Why do people care so much about my big dislike toward Colors?

Oh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope, there is a big difference in speed between them, Colors being the slowest of the trilogy and one with the smallest boost gauge. IT'S NO USE! trying to discuss this further, nobody will change their points of view here so I'll just say I'm happy SEGA made SG just the way I like a Sonic game to be to make up for the disappointment Colors was to me.

I have no one best Sonic game; I adore Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations just the same for pretty much the same reasons.

As for the worst Sonic game, I'd say it's Sonic Labyrinth. Barely counting as a Sonic game, it had poor controls, horrible level design, cacophonous music & sound effects, and an ass-pull of a story that, even by video game standards, barely even makes sense.

I find myself unable to say best game, so I'll simply say best game of it's era for me.

Best game of Genesis Era: Sonic 2- Say what you will of Sonic 3&Knuckles, but at least Sonic 2 was finished. The game's level design was superb, with many branching paths and hidden little secrets to keep players searching for hours. The inclusion of star posts really helped inspire players to do just that. The aesthetic was also magnificent, with wonderful character and badnik models. The backgrounds were just beautiful as well.

Worst game of Genesis Era: Sonic 3D Blast- The music may have been good, but the level design was and the controls were more slippery than an anime pervert.

Best game of Dreamcast Era: Sonic Adventure 2- A huge storyline, fast paced level design, and better implementation of the genre roulette.

Worst of Dreamcast Era: Sonic Shuffle- A poor-man's Mario Party.

Best of 6th Generation- Sonic Heroes: Say what you will about the game, but the game was very good when played in spurs. The levels were fantastic, the music wonderfully cheesy, and the gameplay was as true to the Sonic roots as one could get at the time. The biggest flaws though were the lack of "obvious" changes in level design. However, this was the first game

Worst of 6th Gen- Shadow the Hedgehog- Ugly game; mess of a story; terrible aesthetics; terrible gunplay; Done.

Best of Seven Gen- Sonic Generations- For a game to translate different styles and designs from older eras and new ones to fit two distinct gameplay styles is certainly something to applaud for. The fact that the developers were even able to adapt levels from games with varying styles also comes as a very good surprise.

Worst of 7th Gen- I can't say Sonic '06 since it's become a guilty pleasure for many. Guilty pleasures are the wrong kind of bad. The bad I'm looking for can be seen in: Sonic Unleashed- The game is one half really good, and the other half, drab, boring, and somewhat broken. The Werehog stages just take too long to go through, and his sections are nigh unplayable because of his wonky jumping controls. If his sections were just a little shorter then maybe I would have gone with Sonic '06, but since the Werehog takes up more time than the great Sonic sections, I just can't like it.

• Thumbs Up 1