Awoo.

Best and Worst Sonic game in your opinion

AlphaRuby

Knuckles and Tails; Their objection to Sonic's abscence and scheming to bar him from influencing the way the team goes about things because of it is so out of left field that it is completely and utterly unbelievable. Tails has never shown bitterness at Sonic's abscences before, Sonic Adventure being a particularly good example. In which the manual and even Sonic himself states via a story recap screen that he had been away for a long time on a journey and hadn't seen Tails for quite a while.

Whatsmore, Tails' response in the game is actually inconsistent when you take into consideration that he admitted that Sonic's absence was a good learning experience for him because he had to deal with things around Central City without Sonic's assistance and it had the effect of maturing him a little.

Knuckles has no excuse or justification whatsoever to chastise Sonic considering he's on his island and largely cut-off from him, married to his job and responsibility. So when he does so in Chronicles, it just feels like an unnessary jab and makes Knuckles out to be a fickle person who is picking on Sonic just to cause trouble and seed discontent amongst the others. Whatsmore, Knuckles would have little to no reason to be aggrieved by Sonic's absence.

Amy; Her Operation Jealousy was unbelievable because Amy would know certainly know better than to try an offhanded scheme in order to inspire jealousy in Sonic. She may act like a ditz especially when it by the Flanderization bat but I seriously doubt that she'd stoop that pathetically low in order to grab Sonic's affections by manipulating his feelings in that manner. The way she goes about this operation jealousy is as if she's actually deluded herself into believing that Dexter exists as evidenced by her saying in an incredibly deadpan manner that "...I have a boyfriend..." when Tails and Knuckles demand everyone's opinions on Sonic's absence.

Also, this goes for all of the characters involved in taking down Eggman at the beginning but her expressions of relief that he's gone for good and distaste at the thought of him still being out there is uncharacteristic considering that they tend to enjoy fighting him and don't strike me as characters who would relish the thought of his death.

I should've mentioned Eggman as one of those who was well-characterized because he was such a magnificent bastard and had definately Flanderized yet still endearing mannerisms.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's a difference between hoping someone won't come back to cause problems again and hoping they're dead. That level of bloodlust fits well with SatAM interpretations of the characters in response to the events contained therein, but not with the games' characters or the games' events.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 9

And the relationship between Sonic and Tails is usually all smile and sunshines.

I dunno. I hated the way Sonic snapped at him twice because it was so uncharacteristic.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a difference between hoping someone won't come back to cause problems again and hoping they're dead.

But it wasn't the fact that Eggman was dead that in and off itself gave the good guys joyfull feelings. It was the fact that he would never again be able to cause any more problems that made them happy. Like, im sure they would have been just as happy to see Eggman in jail. But fate would have it that Eggman died during their last battle with him (or, you know, so they thought) and they were all just glad that the whole "Eggman pops up to cause destruction and threaten the fate of the earth"-issue had finally been resolved, even if it had been in a grim way.

I dunno. I hated the way Sonic snapped at him twice because it was so uncharacteristic.

Well, i did too. When i say that i like it when we see some more problematic sides to the friendships between the characters, i dont mean that i want to see the characters being mean to each other, but that i want to see some conflict between them. But just to make sure, i want to stress that i do want to see close friends like Sonic and Tails first and foremost being just that; close friends who love each other, but that doesn't have to mean that they cant have any differences between them.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

But it wasn't the fact that Eggman was dead that in and off itself gave the good guys joyfull feelings.

It was exactly that. They were all but stating that him being "gone" in the Disney sense of the word was cause of celebration, and the mere rumour of him still being out there was the cause of revulsion. Not that they were afraid of whatever he might be planning. Not that they were scared of an impending invasion. Simply that he was gone. They spent the first half of the game acting as if Eggman was SatAM Robotnik, and immediately prior to the game had done massive amounts of some sort of Hitler-esque evil compared to the typical attitude they have to him. That stuck out like a sore thumb to me the first time I was playing through the game all those years ago.

To say nothing about how as soon as he showed up and allied with them for the 3rd quarter of the game, they went back to acting exactly like they do towards him in every other game; to the extent that him and Tails were even bonding over stuff.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 5

Indeed. I mean, it was a big enough continuity snarl that the robot Armadillo's in Mystic Ruin were considered "Roboticised" and one was even stated to have a Robotsizer on it's head. It was quite another for the characters to act repulsed and enraged.and swear cold vengeance on Eggman for it.

My favorite one? Definately Shadow The Hedgehog, my least favorite you ask? Sonic spinball. I just didn't understand... THAT IS NOT THE CONCEPT OF SONIC!

Edited by Black Hedgehog

My favorite one? Probably Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, my least favorite you ask? Sonic spinball. I just didn't understand... THAT IS NOT THE CONCEPT OF SONIC!

Mind saying why? 'Cause that's a......let's just say.... interesting opinion.

Uh Verte, could ya say what was wrong with Shadow's characterization? I'd kinda like to see what you have to say about that.

Pretty much what VEDJ-F and Gilda have already stated.

In fact, I'll cite one of VEDJ-F's more memorable posts in a Chronicles-centric topic of the past because it's pretty much exactly what I think of Shadow's characterization in Chronicles;

Then again, Shadow was obsessed with Omega to the point of making him a sitting duck for crack shipping, the characterisation was that batshit insane.

What I also dislike about Chronicles' portrayal of Shadow is it's inconsistency with his codex entry. It states that he considers anyone who gets in his way of his objectives and those who actually oppose him as obstacles rather than threats. Yet you have him consistently state that if the Marauders have done anything to Omega, "They have no idea of what's coming to them" according to Shadow himself and there's the other factor of him fighting Sonic whenever he stumbles across him.

He also acts incredibly paranoid and on-the-edge. When you get to interact with him on board the craft used to travel inside the Twilight Cage, he acts uncharacteristically snide no matter what your dialogue choice tends to be. This just strikes me as taking his brooding mannerism and Flanderizing it because it is an exaggeration of that trait and consumes his character.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mind saying why? 'Cause that's a......let's just say.... interesting opinion.

I was thinking about something else, Shadow The Hedgehog is my favorite because of story, gameplay, multiple endings, etc.

This may sound sterotypical, but:

Favorite: Sonic CD- Interesting story, neat time travel gimmick, both OST's are cool, short, but fun Zones, etc.

Worst: Sonic 06- No need to say anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahh..I suppose my favorite 3D Sonic game would be Sonic Unleashed. My favorite 2D one would probably be Sonic CD. As for my least favorite..I'm not sure, but I guess Sonic Labyrinth. As for Sonic 06, I suppose the game is mediocre at best, but I don't exactly hate it either.

Edited by colorfulzones104

Best: S3&K

Honestly I think Sonic 2 (GEN) is my -favorite-, but I think that S3&K is the superior game in most aspects, and I like Sonic 2 better for nostalgia related reasons. I do think 2 has a better soundtrack, though.

Worst: Sonic CD

Honestly, I was tempted to put Sonic 06 or Secret Rings, but I haven't played enough of either game to judge fairly.

However, I've beaten Sonic CD. The only thing about the game that I really like is the soundtrack; both the American and Japanese soundtracks are great. The gameplay, though... The levels themselves were far too easy. The only thing that I find difficult is getting the Time Stones; I don't find the special stages to be difficult in a fun way, though. They're frustrating. I wasn't too fond of the overall slower pace of the game. Little things like the way the Spin Dash/Super Peel-Out charge got on my nerves too.

Best: S3&K

Honestly I think Sonic 2 (GEN) is my -favorite-, but I think that S3&K is the superior game in most aspects, and I like Sonic 2 better for nostalgia related reasons. I do think 2 has a better soundtrack, though.

Worst: Sonic CD

Honestly, I was tempted to put Sonic 06 or Secret Rings, but I haven't played enough of either game to judge fairly.

However, I've beaten Sonic CD. The only thing about the game that I really like is the soundtrack; both the American and Japanese soundtracks are great. The gameplay, though... The levels themselves were far too easy. The only thing that I find difficult is getting the Time Stones; I don't find the special stages to be difficult in a fun way, though. They're frustrating. I wasn't too fond of the overall slower pace of the game. Little things like the way the Spin Dash/Super Peel-Out charge got on my nerves too.

Trust me, 06 is on a whole new level of complete and utter suckage. See unlike SCD, it wasn't properly programmed and was more or less unfinished. Not to mention its core design elements were so terribad that the thing would probably been pretty shite even if it was finished. If you think CD is the worst Sonic game simply because its too easy then you would probably hate the living shit out of Sonic 06, because it was just bad design after bad design, only to be made worse by shoddy programming and general unfinishedness.

And unlike a fine wine, 06 probably wouldn't have become much better with more development time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most Hated - Sonic Heroes

It's lazy, boring, shoddily made, and actually gave me headaches after hour-long sessions of playing. Sonic Heroes physically hurt me. Yeah, fuck this game. Are there worse games in the series? Sure; 06 and Shadow are probably worse games, all things considered, but at least I can laugh at those. Sonic 06 and Shadow are what I'd call hilariously bad. Shadow's practically a parody of itself, and 06 can get downright silly really often. Heroes? Nope. It's just bad enough that I absolutely hate it, but there's nothing to laugh at. The voicework is pretty amusing, but considering the characters never shut the fuck up, it gets old pretty quick. I honestly feel insulted that the people at SEGA thought it would be okay to release a game so utterly soulless and incompetent.

The Adventure games (though SA2 is the much worse offender) get an honorable mention for starting the trends that made the series a piece of shit for a while. SA2 also gets the honor of being an awful game 60% of the time.

Favorite - Sonic Generations

I've been a Sonic fan since I was... four years old, I believe? I have fond memories of jumping with joy when I beat the Patheticmobile for the first time as a kid, panicking when I fell into the water in Chemical Plant, getting nervous when Eggman's giant bomber ship started dumping massive explosives on me in Angel Island Zone, racing down the side of the tower in Speed Highway, and finally beating Shadow in that climactic final battle aboard the Ark. Sonic 2 was the game that made me the obsessive gamer I am today, and Sonic Adventure holds a special place in my heart for being the first game I've ever beaten on my own.

Not only did Sonic Generations recreate many of those memories better than ever, but it was an absolute joy to play on its own, and I loved every minute of it. With the best soundtrack the series has ever offered, fantastic visuals, and some of the best gameplay we've ever gotten out of a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Best 2D: Sonic 3 and Knuckles

I honestly can't think of anything bad about it.

Worst 2D: Sonic 4 episode 1

Brought nothing new, everything was a rehash.

Honorable mentions to Sonic 1. Unlike Sonic 4 episode 1, however, Sonic 1 is NOT bad, it is just my least favorite of the classics since I am biased towards the spin-dash and only 2-act zones tongue.png

Best 3D: Sonic Adventure 2

(IMO this game is underrated... Sure it's only 1/3 Sonic, but I think the other gameplay styles are fun...) Screw the haters. I still have tons of fun with it. Honorable mentions to generations, but unlike Generations, SA2 is both very fun AND has length on its side.

Worst 3D: Sonic 06. No other game comes close to the crappiness of this.

Honorable mentions to Shadow the Hedgehog

Best Spin-off platformer: Sonic Advance 1

THIS is what Sonic 4 should have been. It was fun, had other characters that stuck to the core formula. ALL the characters were unlocked from the start, etc. My only problem with it were the chaos emeralds. I HATE getting them in all three Advance titles.

Honorable mentions to Sonic Rush Adventure

Worst Spin-off platformer: Sonic Blast

not fun.

Honorable mentions to Tails' Sky Patrol, if that counts as a platformer...

Best non-platformer Spin-off: Tails' Adventure.

I like this game, even if it is different.

Worst non-platformer Spin-off: Sonic Labyrinth

nothing more needs to be said.

Honorable mentions to Sonic Shuffle

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Trust me, 06 is on a whole new level of complete and utter suckage. See unlike SCD, it wasn't properly programmed and was more or less unfinished. Not to mention its core design elements were so terribad that the thing would probably been pretty shite even if it was finished. If you think CD is the worst Sonic game simply because its too easy then you would probably hate the living shit out of Sonic 06, because it was just bad design after bad design, only to be made worse by shoddy programming and general unfinishedness.

And unlike a fine wine, 06 probably wouldn't have become much better with more development time.

I tried playing my friend's copy of 06 once. I raged at a few parts, then fell asleep trying to keep playing (video games usually keep me awake pretty well).

Secret Rings, I ragequit almost immediately due to despising the control scheme.

I've heard that my first impression of 06 is about right; however, I just feel bad pegging it as "worst Sonic game ever" when I've only played a few levels, and only the Sonic ones at that.

Eh, the Sonic stages are probably the best the game has to offer. I use best relatively here....

FAVORITE: Sonic Generations

Not only did Sonic Generations recreate many of those memories better than ever, but it was an absolute joy to play on its own, and I loved every minute of it. With the best soundtrack the series has ever offered, fantastic visuals, and some of the best gameplay we've ever gotten out of a Sonic game.

This, so much this. I LOVE this game. It may have some missed opportunities in the story department and be a little on the short side, but it makes that up in everything else. The music, the gameplay, the nostalgia... oh, yes! I waited for this game for over half a year after its release (since I couldn't get it until this past April) and it was definitely worth the wait. It took my two favorite styles of gameplay and made them even better than they were before (yes, I prefer Generations Classic to the original Genesis physics).

For all these reasons, and so much more, this is by far my favorite game of all time.

WORST (in the main series): Sonic The Hedgehog (1991)

Let me start by saying that I love every game in the main series. Every single one. Sonic 1 is just my least favorite. Green Hill Zone, Star Light Zone, and Spring Yard Zone are awesome, but everything else is pretty boring. Everything that this game did, other games did miles better (still an awesome game though).

Best: Sonic Unleashed

Worst: Sonic Generations

Lol

You going to offer any explanations?

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite game: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Ye gads, where do I even begin with this game? It was my childhood and I grew up playing it to death. And even though I have played through the game several dozen times over the years, it still surprises me and I find something new from time to time. Such as the Tails only path in Death Egg Zone Act 1 which I had no idea existed until last year. It has also aged very well and still holds up as an excellent game, it also manages to continue looking pretty in an era of HD tv screens and powerful hardware which is no mean feat. But I could rant about how much I love this game all day.

Least favourite game: Sonic 06

Ye gads, where do I even begin with this game? It's so bad it's hillarious. I get a kind of twisted entertainment out of playing this, it's a train wreck of a spectacular scale in every respect in my humble opinion. The game is rotten to its core and it shows; the characters mechanics and abilities are unrefined and in many cases unexplored, the level design is sub-par, the writing is terrible and the art direction is uninteresting. Well, at least the soundtrack is nice, most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol

You going to offer any explanations?

Glorified Unleashed level pack that only got people hooked because of nostalgia

Did nothing knew (see this) ^

Literally built on top of Unleashed

Artificial replayability

Rushed story line

So much wasted potential

Edited by Morrigan Aensland
  • Thumbs Up 2

Literally built on top of Unleashed
Like I said in the other topic, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Why would you expect or want them to start over from scratch?