Awoo.

Who does Sonic consider as his greatest rival

chippu

You know, in a topic about Sonic's rivals, I am suprised nobody brought up Mario, aside from Gordo's Mario Vrs. Bowser comparison.

Maybe that's due to the uncanon nature of Smash Bros Brawl, and the...wtf nature of the Olympics.

EDIT: I guess I missed Chaos Supreme Sonic's post.

Edited by Lando The Bat

Besides people, I said Who would Sonic consider his greatest rival not who in your opinion is his greastest rival. Which is why I said Shadow of all people.

Look at how many times Sonic wanted to race Shadow and Shadow bumped into Sonic getting into a fight with him. You can't say he had that with Knuckles.

Wha about the whole Faker/Better Hedgehog thing with Sonic and Shadow? That was cool.

Metal cries. It's complicated, getting Metal, Knuckles and Shadow into the equation, but these three seriously need a stance and different from one another of course. The neutral ground should belong to Knuckles, Shadow needs to be pushed more to the enemy side of things and Metal needs to get even more to the extreme of an enemy then. Or then Metal and Shadow switch positions...

Metal cries. It's complicated, getting Metal, Knuckles and Shadow into the equation, but these three seriously need a stance and different from one another of course. The neutral ground should belong to Knuckles, Shadow needs to be pushed more to the enemy side of things and Metal needs to get even more to the extreme of an enemy then. Or then Metal and Shadow switch positions...

I think having Metal as both a rival of Sonic and servant of Eggman would make him pretty distinct. Of course, I'd like him thinking for himself again instead of just being piloted by Eggman. Not necessarily talking or making grandiose speeches, but at least showing some autonomy again.

I always thought of Metal Sonic more as an enemy than a rival of Sonic's. Metal Sonic isn't as..gentle with Sonic in their so-called "rivalry" as the other characters are, if you know what I mean. ^ ^;

Metal is a rival in that it strives to be THE one true Sonic, and thus there's competition. But I don't think Sonic sees it as a rival in the same sense as Shadow or Knuckles, because he KNOWS he's the real Sonic. But there's always the chance that Shadow or Knuckles could triumph over him in another way.

I always thought of Metal Sonic more as an enemy than a rival of Sonic's. Metal Sonic isn't as..gentle with Sonic in their so-called "rivalry" as the other characters are, if you know what I mean. ^ ^;

Metal is a rival in that it strives to be THE one true Sonic, and thus there's competition. But I don't think Sonic sees it as a rival in the same sense as Shadow or Knuckles, because he KNOWS he's the real Sonic. But there's always the chance that Shadow or Knuckles could triumph over him in another way.

Yeah, I guess the main difference between Metal and the others is that Metal's basically delusional and crazy on some level.^_^;; It heigtens the danger, but at the same time I guess it lets Sonic take the competiton less seriously in the psychological sense.

I don't think Shadow was ever nice towards Sonic when they are fighting each other but I agree that Metal is a bit more homicidal. I think that SOnic should be surprised more often by him. I always liked Metal (and Silver) it's a pity to see them go.

I don't think Shadow was ever nice towards Sonic when they are fighting each other but I agree that Metal is a bit more homicidal. I think that SOnic should be surprised more often by him. I always liked Metal (and Silver) it's a pity to see them go.

Silver Sonic the robot or Silver the Hedgehog? :blink:

Silver Sonic the robot or Silver the Hedgehog? :blink:

Silver Robo, but I like Silver the Hedgehog as well.

His greatest rival for me is Knuckles.

The second sonic leaves an opening to knuckles he's done for...

We all know that sonic is fast and no one can catch up to him bla bla bla but even tho that, running is still running even at light speed. Knuckles has 3 advantage he can use: Strenght, Gliding, somewhat earthpower.

- Sonic could run at him but he can glide over him, at the moment sonic jumps Knuckles can find a way to knock him down.

- Knuckles can make earthquakes bear fist... earthquake = no control when running...

- Knuckles has increadible strenght to lift a boulder and thorw many everywhere and sonic won't be able to run straight wich will slow him down and Knuckles will just have to punch through them and catch him off guard.

Some may not like the example but in Sonic X the fist battle, knuckles used the environment against Sonic and he was doing good.

Eggman could have been his greatest rivals but today.... meh, he's mostly toying with him then being even a lil serious when fighting against him. Also, God monster =/= Eggman so it doesn't count.

Metal Sonic well... he's jealous of Sonic and because of that he can't be a good rival since he won't be using his true potential to battle against Sonic like in heroes....

Silver Robo, but I like Silver the Hedgehog as well.

But remember that in 2k6 Silver didn´t view Sonic as his rival, he saw him as someone whom he needed to kill for a better future, and I doubt Sonic considered him his rival at all. In any case, Silver´s rival would be Shadow...If you count the cutscenes in Rivals and Rivals 2, the rivarly of Silver was Shadow...

Knuckles is guarding the Master Emerald. He doesn't have time to be somebody's rival.

Metal Sonic isn't a rival either. He was just built to kill Sonic.

Shadow used to be his rival in SA2, but now he's just some Government agent.

Sonic really doesn't have a rival anymore. Unless you count Scourge, but he's not part of the game canon.

Sonic really doesn't have a rival anymore. Unless you count Scourge, but he's not part of the game canon.

I really gotta wonder what that says about a person when the only person left to rival you is yourself. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Can you really call Knuckles a rival, cannonically Sonic and Knuckles never had a strong competitve relationship and both of them always never thought of each other that much, it's just fan hype. Knuckles always wanted to guard the master emerald above everything else and chill. Sonic to him is just somebody there, and I never seen Knuckles argue or yell at Sonic opposing his ideals. Knuckles always Neutral towards Sonic because he didn't know him. When they fight, it was due to a misunderstanding by Eggman and being tricked. Last I checked, Knuckles respects Sonic according to his manual in Sonic Heroes. Hell Knuckles and Sonic are friendly brother type rivals, not the main rivalry. Shadow the Hedgehog is Sonic's anti thesis, so he should be the main rival. when they meet Sonic is always wanted to race or get ready for a fight. This has been depicted in all media so far.

Are we talking Rival... or enemy? There is a very big distinction.

Rival implies someone who isn't trying to destroy Sonic, but wants to be better than him.

Enemy is someone who wants to destroy Sonic, and in turn be better than him.

If we're talking about Rivals, then I'd probably lean towards Knuckles, their initial brawls across all media in the days of Sonic 3 shows that Knuckles is more than a match for Sonic.

Enemy however... it's a tie between Metal Sonic and Black Doom. Black Doom is obvious, Sonic hasn't defeated him, he couldn't even land a single blow on him. Metal Sonic however, just because he keeps returning and coming back for more. But also... Sonic has yet to actually defeat him. Sonic CD, he just beats him to the safe zone, no actual fight... In Sonic Heroes, he has to turn Super along with Tails and Knuckles.

Knuckles. To me, he will always be Sonic's number one rival. But also one of his closest friends/allies.

Rival and enemy are very distict and seperate entities, to me. For example, in Pokémon, Ash Ketchum's rival is Gary Oak, but his enemies are Team Rocket.

Sonic and Knuckles have a dynamic that seems to me to be the very epitome of rivalry, constantly bickering and trying to one-up each other. I admit that it's not been as emphatic lately, and I do miss it.

I need to agree with these two here. I think that Sonic and Knuckles (even if people are saying sidekick syndrome) I think that Knuckles regardless of what you want to class him as still wants to be better than Sonic and just prove his worth a bit more as he feels more self-important than someone who is just super fast. They are close friends and they argue like an old married couple but there is still a spark of rivalry there.

God I sound totally stupid saying that like I have but never mind. XD

Oh and in reply to the people who keep using "canon" and "canonically speaking"... there is no REAL canon for Sonic. It's a computer game with a VERY loose story so that we can all make interpretations. Shove the cartoons out the way and think of the games. There's VERY little story and VERY little canon it's up to us as fans to make up our own version of what is canon. So canonically speaking... there isn't one.

Edited by Eileanach

Care explain to me what Knuckles has over Shadow in terms of rival importance? People i said, who would Sonic consider as his greatest rival?

Care explain to me what Knuckles has over Shadow in terms of rival importance? People i said, who would Sonic consider as his greatest rival?

Nothing. Neither one have any more of an advantage over each other to be more of a rival than the other. It's all just preference.

If anything, I'd say that Shadow and Knuckles would be a better rival against each other than anything else. Just imagine the blows they could deal to the surroundings if they ever went at it.

Knuckles has known Sonic a lot longer, he may be his grudging friend and they often team up to get things solved but Knuckles is someone who wants to prove he is the leader and can do things on his own (hence why he ends up getting tricked by Eggman). I would say Shadow is just someone SEGA brought in to bring in more fans, an angsty black hedgehog with a troubled past. He believes Sonic is a fake, not in a rival way he just actually BELIEVES it. It's nothing to do with rivalry it's just... Shadow is sort of a loner who isn't there to compete with anyone at all he is just trying to work out his personal shit.

Knuckles has known Sonic a lot longer

This is important. Knuckles has known Sonic for longer which is why it would be slighlty dentrimental for him to continue to get into disgruntled fights and arguments with Sonic. Surely at this point in time, Knuckles by now, actually knows were Sonic stands. He should know that Sonic is the good guy and that Eggman is the bad guy. He has to have at least by now developed some element of trust for Sonic y this point. If he doesn't, he's either Very Very Gulliuble or Very Very Stupid. Thats not say Knuckles is going to agree with Sonic 24 seven, of course they'll be disagreements, but history seems to dictate that most of the actual all on out fights that Knuckles has had with Sonic are a direct result of being tricked by Eggman and not out of his ''own'' nature.

to prove he is the leader and can do things on his own (hence why he ends up getting tricked by Eggman).

I think that more due to his very gullible nature. He's way too trusting for his own good.

If anything, I'd say that Shadow and Knuckles would be a better rival against each other than anything else. Just imagine the blows they could deal to the surroundings if they ever went at it.

I'd pay to see that. Sonic X Episode 73 (Shadow Arrives), showed me that Knuckles can really give as good as he gets, more so than Sonic himself.

This is important. Knuckles has known Sonic for longer which is why it would be slighlty dentrimental for him to continue to get into disgruntled fights and arguments with Sonic. Surely at this point in time, Knuckles by now, actually knows were Sonic stands. He should know that Sonic is the good guy and that Eggman is the bad guy. He has to have at least by now developed some element of trust for Sonic y this point. If he doesn't, he's either Very Very Gulliuble or Very Very Stupid. Thats not say Knuckles is going to agree with Sonic 24 seven, of course they'll be disagreements, but history seems to dictate that most of the actual all on out fights that Knuckles has had with Sonic are a direct result of being tricked by Eggman and not out of his ''own'' nature.

Wait, wait. Sonic's rivalry with Knuckles has nothing to do with good and bad sides any more. They are obviously on the same side. It's a personal and (mostly) good-natured rivalry. Knuckles doesn't need to be tricked or disillusioned to become annoyed with Sonic and want to punch him. Equally, Sonic doesn't need a reason to taunt and provoke Knuckles into a fight. They're rivals, not enemies. Therefore, the time they've known each other only strengthens this relationship.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, wait. Sonic's rivalry with Knuckles has nothing to do with good and bad sides any more. They are obviously on the same side. It's a personal and (mostly) good-natured rivalry.

I'm aware of that, I just don't see much (if any) evidence of it. Outside of Knuckles being tricked, I haven't really seen them have any ''embracing/good natured rivalry''. The only exception I can think of is Sonic Battle (ut everyone was fighting each other in that game anyway). Its mostly just ''yeah wer're cool''.

To clarify, what I mean, is in a sense an attitude like Jet has now, but obviously in line with Knuckles personality.

Rivalry isn't necessarily about physical fights. It's about one-up-manship and attitude. It's not something that happens in specific 'instances'. It's an ongoing state of mind between two competitors who both feel the need to feel more accomplished or 'better' than the other.

- Knuckles has increadible strenght to lift a boulder and thorw many everywhere and sonic won't be able to run straight wich will slow him down and Knuckles will just have to punch through them and catch him off guard.

Some may not like the example but in Sonic X the fist battle, knuckles used the environment against Sonic and he was doing good.

When I saw that episode I thought that Knuckles had no respect for the environment whatsoever, how many trees did he kill in that segment? I was amused thinking that Sonic could pass through Angel Island one day for a visit and they'd squabble, happening the same thing. Sonic eventually would leave and Knuckles would still be angry at Sonic destroying is island every time he comes in.

Edited by redmenace