Awoo.

Worst Sonic boss?

The Dead Skin

Exactly what it says on the tin: which boss in the Sonic series do you think is the worst?

I know 95% of the people here will cop the fuck out and say Time Eater, but here are my two most detested bosses:

The Collision Chaos boss, from Sonic CD. The awkward pinball controls are what make this boss a pain. Most of the time you'll be flung to places you don't want to, and if you're unlucky, you'll land on the spikes at the bottom lots of times. It's annoying when you're the sucker being worked to death. In the end, it just plays like a bad Sonic Spinball prototype. While we're on the subject of pinball bosses...

Robotnik's Spaceship (The Showdown), from Sonic Spinball. Coming after an already horrible level, it's somehow even worse than the Collision Chaos boss. Because the game's physics were built up from scratch (instead of, you know, using the engine from Sonic 2), this will not end well. Landing a hit is already a Herculean task, from having to deactivate its annoying defenses - grabbing claws and rubber nets to throw you at the windows at the sides of the boss room! If you fail, you WILL fall to the bottom of the level, meaning you have to go through the whole thing all over again. It's amazing how no one has killed a person because of this horrible piece of shit.

Edited by The Dead Skin
  • Thumbs Up 3

Time Eater is bad, but isn't doesn't even come close to some bosses from previous games.

I'm going with the Silver fight against Egg Genesis.

Character battles are often crap. S3&K and Adventure had them way to easy. SA2 did pretty good, but they weren't all that great, Heroes wasn't hard, but were just annoying, 06's were incredibly broken. Rush(Adventure) are the only games I really enjoyed them in. Generations didn't do bad at them either, but I hate chase bosses in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to be a tad controverial but don't mind me, just putting two cents here. :P

Planet Wisp, Aquarium Park, and Asteroid Coaster's bosses:

The only reason why I mentioning these is because they're more or less recolors of a boss fought earlier, just with a somewhat different strategy. It makes me feel like Sega was too lazy to work on these bosses.

Egg Dealer:

All Eggman does is drive around and hopes you don't hit him. Its pretty sad really.

But that's just me. I gotta go replay some Sonic to remember some bosses now. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The first dragon boss in SatBK (if you can even call that a boss). I forgot what the name of it is but that fight is freakin awful.

The first dragon boss in SatBK (if you can even call that a boss). I forgot what the name of it is but that fight is freakin awful.

The Mist Dragon in Misty Lake? It's not that painful. Just guard a lot and attack a few times inbetween.

The Sonic Heroes character battles were literally just luck based bullshit. Silver in 06 was also terrible just because he was absurdly hard and could combo you before you could do anything. I also really hate Rush's Super Boss battle for some reason, and the Huge Crisis boss for simultaneously being a rehash, and really fucking annoying. I don't like it when you have to wait for ages to hit the damn thing while avoiding easy attacks.

The Time Eater is nowhere near one of the worst bosses, but it's probably the most disappointing. Not a great way to end Generations if I'm honest, especially as it's the only gameplay part (does the White World even count?) that was totally original. It's true what they say - a poor final boss really does sour the experience. I felt the same way about the annoying Dark Samus fight at the end of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and it's timed mission yet stally crap.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of them.

Seriously a lot of Sonic bosses are just terrible.

SA:

Character vs Character: What a joke. These shouldn't even count as bosses.

Chaos 4: Sooo much waiting around for him to be vulnerable, and you've got to flop around on the lillypads while you wait...it's just annoying...

Heroes:

Team vs Team: What a clusterfuck. There's supposed to be some rock-paper-scissors shit going on, but it barely works, and it just devolves into a clumsy slapfight until someone (almost randomly) wins.

VS Eggman: All the "Eggman" bosses have ridiculously high HP, and their tendency to run away leaves you with very few options to attack them. The Albatross is the worst simply because your only real option is to wear down its HP with homing attacks...most likely doing 1 HP per hit.

ShtH:

Diablon: Why why why why why why why why why

'06:

Everything: Is shit.

A lot of other bosses are just kind of lame/forgettable/bad but not enough for me to mention.

• Thumbs Up 2

Silver, Silver, Silver, in Sonic 06. Even if everything about the game wasn't broken, I still don't think it would've been a fun boss. Just tedious, rage-inducing, mounting frustration at the sheer sloppiness of it all.

Major kudos to Sonic Generations for showing what a fantastic boss Silver can be when done right.

• Thumbs Up 5

Worst? I can count the decent ones on my fingers, so it'll be a mammoth task to pick the "worst"...

The Egg Nega-Wisp Armor battle from Colors (Wii) was pretty nice.

That's true, I just wish it wasn't so damn easy. I hate awesome bosses that are a cake walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic & Diablon in ShTH is hilariously bad for so many reasons. FFS, if you're going to portray Shadow as having an edge over Sonic because he's a God Mode Sue "Badass", at least make it so Sonic provides an actual challenge and intelligent opponent and not a ridiculous way of exploiting Diablon's weak point. Not to mention it was annoyingly and boringly repetitive if you choose to not go for the guns and homing attack your way to victory. Then again, it's still boring as hell using guns against it as well.

Colours' bosses provided no challenge in the Wii version. In particular, I've managed to pwn Tropical Resort's/Planet Wisp's boss using Spike/Laser in less than 15 seconds with no real opposition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooh, let's see...

Doodlebug Mecha - from Under Ground (Sonic 2 Game Gear)

Exclusively the Game Gear version. This fucker is the reason no-one loves my favourite Sonic game. 8C The Master System version had a MUCH more balanced difficulty for the first boss.

Barrier Eggman - from Flying Battery (Sonic & Knuckles)

It just drives me crazy that this just utterly wastes your time as Super Sonic. No way to speed it up at all. >8O

Red Eye - from Death Egg (Sonic & Knuckles)

Ugh just find this guy too hard. I've only ever beaten him once Super Sonicless, never again (though maybe I'd be better at it now lol).

Every Event Boss from Sonic Adventure

Oh no.

Chaos 4 - from Mystic Ruins (Sonic Adventure)

Yeah it just goes on so looooong and the fact that you have to do it 3 times to finish the game just adds insult to injury.

Egg Snake from Cosmic Angel (Sonic Advance)

Yeah I just really hate bosses where your rings fall through the floor. This guy is pretty hard to predict too.

Egg Saucer from Sky Canyon (Sonic Advance 2)

Insta-death attacks are no. Never. Maybe in a last-ditch final boss move but everywhere else no.

Every Boss in Sonic Heroes

Egg Emperor is vaguely passable but that's it.

Egg Chase in Twinkle Snow (from Sonic Advance 3)

Ughhhh too hard. Honestly it would have been reasonable if they had just given you good warning (like a flashing line or whatever) of when he shoots out the chain thing.

Sonic and Diablon from Gun Fortress/Black Comet/Final Haunt (Shadow The Hedgehog)

Grab a pistol, chip away at his health with homing attacks until you fill your dark meter, then unload into him with your gained infinite ammo. That's all there is to a lot of bosses in Shadow, but Diablon takes especially long due to Sonic flopping about all over the place when you need him to help AND when you don't.

Egg Hammer Fortress from Huge Crisis (Sonic Rush)

Not really fussed about the rehashness, it's just such a tiny window of opportunity to hit him with such long waits inbetween.

Silver from Soleanna Castle Town/Radical Train (Sonic 2006)

Yeah, the Sonic and Shadow fights were crap too, but going up against Silver is especially annoying.

Solaris from End of the World (Sonic 2006)

I've played this boss and won probably 5-10 times in my life and still don't really know what the hell to do.

Egg Devil Ray from Rooftop Run (Sonic Unleashed Wii/PS2)

Another boss that just takes ageeees. Unlike the PS3/360 version there's no way to get extra hits in. You just have to wait out the entire attack pattern every time.

Dark Gaia from Eggmanland (Sonic Unleashed 360/PS3)

As with most things in Unleashed I can tolerate it, nay, even somewhat enjoy it - but even I can admit, looking at it neutrally, that the colosuss sections were a really dumb idea and not clear enough on how to be victorious efficiently.

Pretty much all the swordfights in Sonic & The Black Knight

Yeah I just never got into the swordplay. I guess there is a 50/50 ratio of swordfights to "proper" boss fights, but I wish they had been staggered more.

Giant Mech from E.G.G. Station (Sonic The Hedgehog 4)

Just another I thought was stupidly hard, mostly due to the Rush-style "rings go FLYING after 4 or so consecutive damage takings". The super lame music doesn't help. I would be amazed if Jun wrote that song fully aware of how it would be integrated into the game.

Time Eater (Sonic Generations 360/PS3/PC)

Yeah it's just a real boring letdown. Very confusing and not at all satisfying even when you work it out.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic & Diablon in ShTH is hilariously bad for so many reasons. FFS, if you're going to portray Shadow as having an edge over Sonic because he's a God Mode Sue "Badass", at least make it so Sonic provides an actual challenge and intelligent opponent and not a ridiculous way of exploiting Diablon's weak point. Not to mention it was annoyingly and boringly repetitive if you choose to not go for the guns and homing attack your way to victory. Then again, it's still boring as hell using guns against it as well.

There's another one I should have mentioned. Like me, I'm sure there were alot of people wanting one thing out of this game. Sonic versus Shadow. The rematch. Not a Team match, one on one. It even had it a bit in the intro. Yet we got the G.U.N commander hogging it. That is why I hate that boss battle. We wanted to fight Sonic. Not Sonic and this loser.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, I'm not really fond of any of the extra final bosses in Sonic games. They look good and are memorable, like the Final Hazard example, but that's all they really have going for them. Otherwise they're either too easy, poorly constructed, or both, and just simply aren't that fun. Probably because of the different gameplay mechanics while fighting against a boss in your super form, and so they feel more gimmicky as opposed to being something that puts your accumulated abilities and skill in a sort of final test. See: Egg Viper->Perfect Chaos Biolizard->Final Hazard.

That being said, I'm not fond of the Biolizard fight, the wait before launching your attack, and while it changes attack patterns every two hits or so, dodging his attacks still feels boring. And there's that stream of urine-looking liquid in the arena, and god help you if you happen to fall into it.

Then there's Dark Gaia HD: Painfully slow and clunky gameplay as the Gaia Colossus, and punching via QTEs, brief, yet annoying sequences of running across it as Sonic followed with more QTES; and you have to do it three times. Then it switches to a bad fusion of a Doomsday Zone/NiGHTS knock-off. You fly at it slowly, yet you may miss the rings on your first playthroughs. What bothers me is that ironically, you're overpowered with the boost in normal gameplay. Here? You're slow as fuck, even with boosting, and you're actually vulnerable to everything, even when boosting through rocks.Then, Chip is the one who's actually fighting him directly as you're supposed to drop the shield by doing nothing but ram into Dark Gaia's snake tentacles repeatedly; add to the somewhat floaty controls, occasional hit box problems, and the two life gauges, and I'm already bored out of my mind. Topped off with more QTES! And finally, the infamous "Press X/square 60 times to not die" moment, which is not so much hard, as it is tedious and inane; you're literally doing nothing but button-mashing. You can boost into him one final time, but it doesn't seem to do anything aside from looking cool. This boss to me, was one of the worst and most disappointing bosses I've ever played, period; it's gives the Time Eater a run for its money, and ultimately, pretty much sums up my main beef with Unleashed: Making things look cinematic and "epic" at the cost of gameplay. Fuck getting an S-rank/end rant.

Finally, I think we all know that boss very well, to the point where bringing it up is cliche, but I'll just post it anyway: e2315dff09e2c4541b0910ec3d09f1de1e8b3e5.png

Master System version: It has a spot where you can stay in one place so that you can literally watch it being destroyed making it ridiculously easy.

Game Gear version (The only version Sega is assed enough to port): Reduced screen size=reduced arena=reduced safe ground+the cannonball patterns+no rings=Many FFFFFFUUUUUUUs and sad gamers who will likely never see the rest of the game without cheat codes or luck. (And the following zone with its hang-glider gimmick, chaos emerald locations, and cheat code input are all a pain in the ass dry.png )

Colours' bosses provided no challenge in the Wii version. In particular, I've managed to pwn Tropical Resort's/Planet Wisp's boss using Spike/Laser in less than 15 seconds with no real opposition.

Haha I love that boss for the reason that it's 'so bad it's good.' xD I love how Sonic helps you reach Diablon LOL

The worst boss for me would have to be any of Silver's Ibilis fights. Not because of the difficulty, just how plain boring they are.

Edited by Dreamcast