Awoo.

No Wii? No Wii! *cue music loop*

Blue Blood

I wish Sega would offer me a free PS3 or 360 download of episode one to make up for the Wii purchase of the first episode.

OT Secret Rings stinks IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't quite understand this mentality of "I got episode 1 on the Wii therefore I must get all the others on the Wii". They're changing the physics and graphical style, does anyone seriously think these are still going to feature lock-on? O_o

• Thumbs Up 1

I really liked Secret Rings...if they sorted out the controls I would still be playing it now TBH.

But hey, enough of that, back to Sonic 4.

I still don't quite understand this mentality of "I got episode 1 on the Wii therefore I must get all the others on the Wii". They're changing the physics and graphical style, does anyone seriously think these are still going to feature lock-on? O_o

Edited by Indigo Rush

I too have grown tired of the Wii-only gamers constantly bitching over games they can't get in general cause they failed to realize they bought hardware that's extremely dated now. It was not a privilege that Sega delivered EP1 to the Wii, it was a gift. It took extra time and effort to downgrade a game that was already suffering some quality issues to fit Nintendo's hardware and guidelines. So I understand if Sega doesn't want to compromise EP2's overall quality for the sake of getting it to run on weaker hardware. And despite the fact that it could be easliy ported, Sonic Colors is still exclusive to the Wii. Cry moar cause you got one good Sonic game over an untested one.

• Thumbs Up 5

It was not a privilege that Sega delivered EP1 to the Wii, it was a gift.
I don't usually have to pay for my gifts...

So I understand if Sega doesn't want to compromise EP2's overall quality for the sake of getting it to run on weaker hardware.
Honestly at this point S4 is so behind the curve that porting it to the NES wouldn't really compromise its quality. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not a Wii only owner. I was just saying it would be nice to be able to take advantage of Lock on if that becomes a thing. I wouldn't even mind double dipping to much if episode 1 wasn't so meh. I'm fine with S4E2 not being on Wii if it means a better product though.

Hell if they don't lock on I won't care about it not being on Wii at all. If I want to play episode 1 (lol) I'll turn on the Wii. If I want to play episode 2 I'll turn on the PS3. Though not being able to play through the complete Sonic 4 saga in one go is pretty disappointing and shows how poorly planned this whole thing was IMO.

BB why is your OP made of win?

Anywho, I do perfectly understand why they wouldn't release Episode 2 on the Wii, but it really feels like a slap in the face to release one part of a game, and then deny them the rest of it. Sega really seem to dick over the Wii owners when it comes to their releases, the storybook games are hardly good(Traded both of mine in today actually), and the rest of them are crappy spin offs; It has Colors and Unwiished, but the HD version of Unleashed, and Generations are far better games than either of them, so I think its pretty obvious where Sega want their effort towards.

Ya know, this makes me so much more relieved that I have a PS3 now, its Christmas isn't over yet.

Heres what I don't understand about all this and I seem to recal asking this back when Generations was announced as a PS360 game.

People are angry because it's not on the Wii, (insert the argument about all the technical reasons why it can't/not a good idea for it to be on there, however now add the issue of the Wii's online service as one major factor, and the fact Sega has slowly recinded Wiiware support for the last year and a bit).

Well... thats one thing... but this is the main thing I cannot get my head around.

Don't worry Generations/Sonic 4 episode 2 will get ported to the Wii-U.

But... the Wii-U isn't out yet? Surely if you wanted to play those games that bad, buying a PS3 or an Xbox 360 is a better and cheaper option? Not only do you have to wait an entire year to play those games you have the cost of a new console on top of that.

This is what I don't understand more than anything else that people are moaning about, the great hope that is the Wii-U. I just don't understand why so many people are putting so much hope into a Wii-U port, just for the fact it bumps up the cost of Sonic 4 from it's base price to the cost of a new console.

Why would anyone do this?

Now if this were a 360/PS3 which wasn't getting it, but the others were, maybe I could see an argument to wait for the Microsoft/Sony follow up, if only because people will be fond of their gamer profiles/trophy history etc. But Nintendo doesn't have anything like that, the Wii certainly doesn't. So why on earth are we getting so many people saying 'give us it on the Wii-U since I only own a Wii' when nobody owns that console, it's not even out yet and it's more than likely more cost effective to either buy a lesser model PS3/360 or even a second hand version if it's just the one game you're interested in?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5

So... can this be posted as a news article/blog post and be copy/pasted to every other Sonic community so that Wii-only owners who keep crying like they witnessed the coming of the end of the world can get the ****ing idea through their heads already?

If some still whine, then forget 'em.

EDIT: Lovely opening image. XD

Edited by VizardJeffhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surely if you wanted to play those games that bad, buying a PS3 or an Xbox 360 is a better and cheaper option? Not only do you have to wait an entire year to play those games you have the cost of a new console on top of that.
If you're complaining about it not being on the Wii, most likely you don't have a 360 or PS3 (otherwise you'd just get it on that). And if you only allow yourself/can only afford one console a generation and you went with the Wii, presumably you plan on sticking with Nintendo and getting the Wii U regardless. So it's buying the 360 or PS3 that's an added cost.
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be honest if they didn't go with the downloadable and episodic motif Sonic 4 would have been very possible as a retail title on the Wii (just look at Rayman Origins). I'm sure the original plan was to pump out episodic titles hence the naming of Episode 1, but they probably stepped back after the venomous backlash and supposedly reassessed what Sonic 4 was supposed to be. Dropping Wii support suggests that the Wiiware space limit was blown wide open in such a way that it is impossible to scale back efficiently. So whoever is finishing up Episode 2 is either pulling out some stops to address the complaints of Episode 1 lastluster visual design, or they're a bunch of incompetent fuckwits.

Heres what I don't understand about all this and I seem to recal asking this back when Generations was announced as a PS360 game.

People are angry because it's not on the Wii, (insert the argument about all the technical reasons why it can't/not a good idea for it to be on there, however now add the issue of the Wii's online service as one major factor, and the fact Sega has slowly recinded Wiiware support for the last year and a bit).

Well... thats one thing... but this is the main thing I cannot get my head around.

But... the Wii-U isn't out yet? Surely if you wanted to play those games that bad, buying a PS3 or an Xbox 360 is a better and cheaper option? Not only do you have to wait an entire year to play those games you have the cost of a new console on top of that.

This is what I don't understand more than anything else that people are moaning about, the great hope that is the Wii-U. I just don't understand why so many people are putting so much hope into a Wii-U port, just for the fact it bumps up the cost of Sonic 4 from it's base price to the cost of a new console.

Now if this were a 360/PS3 which wasn't getting it, but the others were, maybe I could see an argument to wait for the Microsoft/Sony follow up, if only because people will be fond of their gamer profiles/trophy history etc. But Nintendo doesn't have anything like that, the Wii certainly doesn't. So why on earth are we getting so many people saying 'give us it on the Wii-U since I only own a Wii' when nobody owns that console, it's not even out yet and it's more than likely more cost effective to either buy a lesser model PS3/360 or even a second hand version if it's just the one game you're interested in?

It's simple really. Brand loyalty.

• Thumbs Up 9

There are a lot of Nintendo fans that already plan on purchasing the Wii-U. It looks like a capable piece of hardware and Nintendo puts out great exclusives that can make the console worth owning even if the third party content ends up sucking again (which it doesn't appear that it will.)

The Wii-U will be out by the end of 2012. For all we know, S4E2 might not be out until Summer. If you're already planning on buying the console, why would you buy a different, soon-to-be-outdated console to play the game a few months early?

Also, I don't think many of these people asking for a Wii-U version are 'only' interested in playing S4E2 on it.

I will admit, as someone who was a Wii-only owner for a long time (I only got my 360 in September 2010), I can fully understand where people who are still in that boat are coming from. Hell, apart from the fact it's a shameful, shoddy mess (see my earlier post), I'll admit that a lot of my ire for UnWiished was magnified at the time by knowing that I was getting a cheap knock-off version of 'the real thing'.

I do like the Wii- I think that, through all the shovelware, there are still some great games to be found on it. But at the same time, that doesn't excuse Nintendo for making it a pitifully outdated and underpowered console that's caused headaches for multiplatform developers from Day One. It was inevitable that the Wii was always/ eventually going to get watered-down releases or skipped outright, really.

Still, I do find it strange at how big an issue it seems to be, though. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, games consoles aren't horrifically expensive. Sure, they're not the sort of thing you'd want to make a weekly purchasing habit out of, but realistically any Wii-owners with even a part-time job should be able to save up for a PS3 or 360 without too much difficulty. That said, I do understand that not everyone has a job/ is old enough to work, so my sympathies go out to those who are still totally dependant on parental funding.

But then, even for those who can afford it- yes, I'll agree that it's certainly unfair that this is the first console generation where it's basically been necessary to own two of the current consoles in order to get a 'complete' experience. Sure, there have always been console exclusives, but never before has one console so blatantly got the short end of the the stick to the point where most gamers feel they actually need two different consoles. But again, we only have Nintendo to blame, really. As much as I like Nintendo, they can be really, really stupid sometimes. Hell, I have about 10 physical disc games for my 360, and I only regularly play a couple of them. I still barely feel like I justified buying the system really, but the few gems that the Wii was missing out on kind of forced my hand.

The sad thing is, I can see this whole problem repeating itself again with the Wii U in a few years' time. Yes, the Wii U is 'more powerful than a PS3 or a 360'. It sounds great on paper, doesn't it? ...Until you realise that the PS3 and 360 are five and six years old respectively. The Wii U isn't a huge step up from those consoles, either, so where is that going to leave Nintendo when Sony and Microsoft release their new consoles? Basically where they are now- getting shoddy, cut-down ports and missing out on a lot of multiformat games entirely.

I respect Nintendo for thinking outside the box and trying the new ideas that they did with the Wii and Wii U, but it'd be nice if they'd actually do those ideas on consoles that weren't perpetually five years behind everyone else. Especially when they're using 'cost' as a justification for weak hardware, when the price difference between the Wii and HD consoles is much smaller than the power difference.

To summarise, for those who tl;dr;

• I can see why Wii-only people are annoyed, but they only have Nintendo to blame really
  • HD consoles aren't that expensive these days anyway (but sorry if you're dependant on the 'rents)
  • It's kinda unfair really that we basically need to buy an extra console just because of Nintendo's shortcomings
  • I can see this whole sorry affair repeating itself in a few years time with the Wii U

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 9

Good opening post.

I was gonna say, hardly anybody only has a Wii nowadays. I mean, even people who don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360 are likely to have either an iPhone, iPad, capable Android device or Windows phone or Steam for PC. There's just no use any more in developing for a console less powerful and more limited than most mobile phones which most people aren't even using anymore. A limit of 40mb for proper video games is a joke today. What can you even fit in that size??

It's to be expected that loads of games won't come out on the thing now, especially when it holds them back.

Whatever the case may be we will understand the reasoning once Episode 2 comes out. The game better show off some shit, because if it doesn't then to e honest they didn't have any real reason to leave out the wii.

Which would just piss everyone off anyway.

Maybe this is a bit different considering that Halo Series is...kinda...sort of episodic if you consider the story...but you didn't see people bitch when you had to get a 360 for Halo 3...the same kinda maybe will apply if Episode 2 is ported to the Wii-U just on a much muuuccch smaller scale.

I always viewed the Wii as a successful fad...but now that Microsoft is shoving KINECT in everyone faces its only a matter of time before they win with superior tech.... until Wii-U comes along.

Edited by 3D>>>>2D

A limit of 40mb for proper video games is a joke today. What can you even fit in that size??

To be fair I have heard (only heard mind, can't remember the source), that Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube was a mere 20mb. Impressive if true, though I don't know many companies that can match Nintendo's CRAZY optimisation for their hardware (and if they're going for the 2.5D route with this with graphics that's some rather large maps for Sonic levels).

Another reason for wanting Wii U - it can be assumed that Wii software can be transferred across if it can play Wii disc games as well - therefore you would have both games on one console in the end.

Edited by JezMM

To be fair I have heard (only heard mind, can't remember the source), that Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube was a mere 20mb. Impressive if true, though I don't know many companies that can match Nintendo's CRAZY optimisation for their hardware (and if they're going for the 2.5D route with this with graphics that's some rather large maps for Sonic levels).

Another reason for wanting Wii U - it can be assumed that Wii software can be transferred across if it can play Wii disc games as well - therefore you would have both games on one console in the end.

Problem is, the Wii has no known Online system, where you set up an account that transfers everything that has been purchased on it, to the next console. All it has are a bunch of shitty friend codes.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair I have heard (only heard mind, can't remember the source), that Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube was a mere 20mb. Impressive if true, though I don't know many companies that can match Nintendo's CRAZY optimisation for their hardware.

The sad thing is that it won't be upscaled to HD like what the 360 does for an Xbox game when you play it...but hey, back to Sonic 4.

I just love how some of these Wii-only gamers (not all) are now dissing the game and the franchise as a whole just because they aren't getting it ("Good, get this Sonic rubbish off Nintendo consoles" as an example). When Sonic Colours came out on the Wii only and we wanted a HD version of it, they posted this exact picture to us

n132630_deal_with_it_dog_RE_Picture_Challenge_2_v2_0-s348x232-174667.jpg

...The tables have turned now, haven't they (for 3 Sonic games now). The way I see it is that Episode 1 on the Wii was like an advertisement for people to know that the game exists.

Problem is, the Wii has no known Online system, where you set up an account that transfers everything that has been purchased on it, to the next console. All it has are a bunch of shitty friend codes.

Uuuuuuuuugh...Friend Codes! Just kill it with fire already Nintendo.

Edited by KrazySanta14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, it technically does, it's just all hidden away from the user. You have a mysterious invisible "account" tied to your Wii (that is presumebly created the first time you connect to the internet) - they'd just need to release a Wii update that adds a channel that allows you to link your Wii to (hopefully) the actually tangible account you use on your Wii U.