Awoo.

No Wii? No Wii! *cue music loop*

Blue Blood

Your math sucks, you can't weight a game like Mario and Sonic equal to a game like Generations.

A Sonic game is a Sonic game, no matter what else it contains or how good it; I know a few Xbox 360 owners would argue that Sonic Generations and Sonic '06 are inferior to Sonic Colours and Secret Rings respectively - so whatever you might think of the worth of each individual game, quality is something that is totally subjective, and that makes my maths perfectly accurate. Granted that I did forget Sonic Free Riders on the Xbox 360, but then, I also forgot Zero Gravity on the Wii - and Superstars Tennis (which is platform agnostic anyway) I don't count as a Sonic game, as a result of it (unlike All-Stars Racing) not featuring Sonic's name in the title, and putting less emphasis on Sonic than the other spin-offs do.

Besides, none of that really impacts the fact that there have been all of two Sonic titles on the PC in the last generation, so if any platform owners are being mistreated by Sega, it's the PC gamers, and not the Wii owners - in fact, I think that the only exclusive PC Sonic (going all the way back to the start of the series' life on that particular platform) has been Sonic's Schoolhouse. I think that says enough, don't you?

And like Blue said, it's hardly unreasonable to expect to get the full run of an episodic game, rather than getting the first episode and then the middle finger.

Wii owners bought Sonic 4: Episode 1 in good faith that Sega would port its successors to the Wii, and effectively gambled and lost by doing so; there was absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that the other episodes would see the light of day on their system, and the thought that they would was merely a hopeful, unfounded and near-baseless assumption - and by your ridiculous standards, it was unfair of Lucasfilm not to release Star Wars Episode III on VHS, even though the system was just as old-hat, underpowered, limited and retrograde in comparison to DVD as the Wii appears to be when put up against its competitors.

And that's not even starting on the 40MB WiiWare file size limit.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

What surprises me is SEGA put the first episode on Wii, and the second one they aren't. Why did they even bring Episode I to Wii if they weren't going to put the second episode on it as well? Unless they just recently decided to do that.

Why did they even bring Episode I to Wii if they weren't going to put the second episode on it as well? Unless they just recently decided to do that.

Because the initial plan wasn't to ramrod the first episode through, and then wait well over a year before they release the second one because of the backlash against the first one. Under the normal plan, we would probably be waiting for a release date for Episode 3 at this point.

Edited by ChristmasJack
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if Sega will ever make a statement about the Wiis exclusion or pretend like the first episode was never on the Wii to begin with. Maybe if they come right out and say the Wii can't handle what they want to do with future episodes it will appease Wii only owners.

In fairness they have basically said this already. "For reasons most of you can probably guess" is just their nice way of saying "Yeah, the Wii's not cut out for this".

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's at least hope that it ends up on Wii U, more than likely the Wii U's shop will have access to wiiware games (like the 3DS' eshop having access to DSiware games), meaning that the whole series should be available to any Wii U only gamer

Edited by New Year's Cero

Ya, its a little ironic that people are claiming the Wii started to suck compared to the HD consoles when for a long time, the Wii was the best selling of the three.

Ya, its a little ironic that people are claiming the Wii started to suck compared to the HD consoles when for a long time, the Wii was the best selling of the three.

• Thumbs Up 9

It doesn't? I thought we were talking about why Episode 2 wasn't on the Wii, and the reasons behind it, one of them being how limited the Wii was compared to the HD consoles

• Thumbs Up 5

The optimist in me says it's got to be that they want to do some big improvements with episode 2 and the Wii's shitty 40MB limit is out of the question.

Nothing vitally important would stretch that limit. Music was apparently an issue before (both of quality and regarding the Wii's filesize limit), but "good music" is not something inherently limited to large file sizes. Graphics, likewise. And the code for the game itself is probably the smallest part of the package.

It doesn't? I thought we were talking about why Episode 2 wasn't on the Wii, and the reasons behind it, one of them being how limited the Wii was compared to the HD consoles

In regards to sales and general consumer interest, the Wii in 2012 isn't remotely as healthy as the Wii in early 2010 when Noodlemouse was announced (and the system was already starting to tank at that point anyway sales wise), so it makes no difference how well the system was selling 3 years ago when the system is currently just as dead as the N64 was after the PS2 came out and the Gamecube was by 2004.

Edited by ChristmasJack
  • Thumbs Up 1

You were talking about sales; we were talking about hardware capabilities and the WiiWare file size cap.

And number of sales =/= power, quality or capability of console. Just look at the Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube and PS2.

This, basically. The Wii's sold well because it's something different and it tapped into the casual/ non-gamer market. That doesn't stop it from being pitifully underpowered.

From a purely hardware perspective, the Wii does suck and has from the very beginning.

• Thumbs Up 4

So that's it then? Only power matters?

Well, in terms of not making Sonic 4 suck, then I suppose yes it does. I was disappointed at first, when I learned that E2 wasn't going to be on the Wii, but I quickly got over it, since I never got E1 on the Wii anyway. I just got it on the 360 and realized that it wasn't worth buying on other systems. I often do buy a Sonic game for more than one system if it's good. Like Unleashed and Generations.

It is slightly annoying that the Wii is dying down so early, considering when the Wii U is coming. I'm just gonna hafta make Mario & Sonic, Kirby, Rayman & Skyward Sword last a little bit longer.

I also expect E2 to be on the Wii U, but we can't know for sure...

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a PC port of S4:E2, myself, seeing as the PC port of Generations is by far the best version of the four of them.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a PC port of S4:E2, myself, seeing as the PC port of Generations is by far the best version of the four of them.

To be honest, if a game is a multi-platform game then the PC will ALWAYS beat everything else...it has raw power. Episode 1 is apparently registered on Steam so Episode 2 SHOULD come to the PC at some point.

I just love how some of these Wii-only gamers (not all) are now dissing the game and the franchise as a whole just because they aren't getting it ("Good, get this Sonic rubbish off Nintendo consoles" as an example).

Evidence please? I haven't read through the topic in detail, but I'm assuming I'm the only Wii-only owner that posted in this topic, and I never dissed the franchise as a whole. All I said was that I am not bothered at all by the fact that S4E2 isn't coming to my system, because, like I said earlier, "Why would I be pissed that a shitty game won't be coming to my system?

When I found out S4E2 wasn't coming to Wii, was I disappointed? Hell no! Sorry, but I don't have any faith in Dimps, so I seriously doubt you guys will all be happy with Episode 2. Assuming that S4E2 will suck really bad, why would I buy it, even if I had a 360/PS3?

(as if I actually use my Wii to play Sonic games, the only Sonic games I play on my Wii are the Genesis titles through the Homebrew Channel. And the only reason why I have a Wii is because I was in 6th grade in 2006, so I couldn't buy my own stuff as I made no money, and my parents got the Wii because it was the cheapest)

Am I really the only Wii owner that is not disappointed by this?

Edited by Chaos Rush

Evidence please? I haven't read through the topic in detail, but I'm assuming I'm the only Wii-only owner that posted in this topic, and I never dissed the franchise as a whole.

I'm guessing he's talking about the comment section in other places like GoNintendo or something like that.