Awoo.

2011 SSMB Top 100 RESULTS

Biafra Republic

Again, the results of this year have more to do with how the event was run more than anything else. Any Sonic game that you think would be voted for was disallowed from being voted for, as were many other games that you would think would top the list (your SM64s and your Metal Gear Solids and your Super Metroids and your main series Pokemon games).

When combined from the controversy that was repeated without change from the 2010 edition, the controversy that stemmed from the game blacklist, the fact that there was no big announcement for this year's iteration, and because of how 2011's running was even more vitriolic towards the voters than 2010's was; it honestly doesn't surprise me that turnout seems to have been so low, and that at least one of the people who bothered to vote decided to troll the listings again.

If you want a good idea of how one of these turns out when everyone isn't angry at how the rules are set up, look at the results for

Edited by New Year's Jack Swing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Someone like to the 2010 results?

Looking at the 2009 list, if 2011 was fair and legitimate, I can imagine most of the top 10 being the same as 2009. Maybe the only difference may be Portal 2, possibly also Pokemon Black & White.

Edited by Major Ziggy

The 2010 results were in the thread that got deleted (or they were in another, different thread that also got deleted. Can't remember for sure). They were fairly close to the 2009 ones, except a bunch of people who were really pissed off banded together to force Plumbers Don't Wear Ties into the Top 3 (plus a bunch of other troll entries riddled throughout the list).

Guys.

Doki Doki Panic got the #3 spot.

Biafra was blatantly being trolled by the SSMB membership. :P

I recall there being some major issues with this year's banlist for submissions for this Top 100, and I guess people expressed their disapproval by making the list a joke. Y'know, alongside the genuine submissions.

Most people probably voted for Mario 2, but for some reason Biafra Republic insists on making it so all games with multiple versions are only counted by their originals, even if it's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. Just one of his many frankly utterly weird rules, as Tornado has been talking about further.

Sonic 2 SMS is above every Sonic game but Unleashed... and 4.

What.

The.

Hell.

You leave my Sonic 2 Master System alone. 8C But yes honestly there was barely any ado about this, and probably 50% of those who did see the topic were probably turned off by the bizarre conditions. It's like... let's find out the community's favourite games... remakes and obvious choices are banned so we can get a nice, varied, completely inaccurate list.

• Thumbs Up 1

After what happened last year, this is a net improvement.

I mean, sure, Bubsy 3D is on this list and Sonic 4 is nearly in the Top 10, but at least neither came close to winning like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties did last year.

I'm speechless.

It's like... let's find out the community's favourite games... remakes and obvious choices are banned so we can get a nice, varied, completely inaccurate list.

Oh, and if you complain about the rules like everyone did in 2010 or do anything to attempt to undermine the list, you'll get reported to the moderation staff.

Oh, and if you complain about the rules like everyone did in 2010 or do anything to attempt to undermine the list, you'll get reported to the moderation staff.

Ohhh noooooooo.

Well now we really have pinpointed why so many people took part. Nothing quite stirs up the community spirit like unnegotiable rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, it's not like they'll do anything about it. Our mods are more fair than that. And that's assuming they themselves find the rules to be competent to begin with, which I highly doubt.

If next year's actually going to be serious, I say nix the rules. But I'm sure this has been said many-a-time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Duke Nukem Forever and Sonic 4 are higher then Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?

Angry Birds is better then Starfox 64, Super Mario Galaxy 2, & Metroid Prime?

No, this is unacceptable, leave my sight this instance!

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think I got around to voting this year but I see a handful of the games I would have voted for (though they're also in the order I would've voted for them so maybe I did vote and there was a small sample this year...). I feel like my taste in gaming is significantly outside of the norm on SSMB now.

Oh well, glad to see Doom, Spiral Knights, Darksiders, GTA 4, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, and Call of Jaurez on the list, and Symphony of the Night at number 1.

Maybe an actually representative number of forumites would have voted if the poll was announced in the same place where the results are announced: In da forum.

Apologies if it actually were announced in da forum.

I must have missed it because this is the first I've seen of it.

This all seems a bit silly to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe the mods haven't locked this troll topic...

If you want an accurate list, someone conduct an actual poll

I can't believe the mods haven't locked this troll topic...

If you want an accurate list, someone conduct an actual poll

Because this isn't a troll topic.

The only trolling that was had here was in the voting. Granted, it's rather justified because the banlist last year was so obnoxiously limiting and I can't think of anyone who possibly approved of it. It also doesn't help that the topic was held in an area that most people never, ever lurk in, lest of all when it comes to videogames.

• Thumbs Up 1

There will be no action taken against any individuals for the discussion prior to this post. I see the posts as a request to make the event more easily noticed next year, and to take steps to ensure that the list is representative of the top games.

• Thumbs Up 2

>Sonic 4 is higher up then Sonic 2

What? What?

>Sonic 3 and Knuckles (Separate or together) are missing entirely from this list.

>Actually most games that I would deem 'good' are missing out of this list completely (FF9, Tales of series, Star Ocean series, original Spyro)

>Why the fuck is Zelda II up there?

>While fun, how is Angry Birds beating all of the other games?

81.) Shadow the Hedgehog

I honestly can take these seriously. Maybe a very small section of voters, or joke voting?