Awoo.

That Sonic movie, then!

eXtaticus

It has come to my attention that certain roumors have been circulating round the old interweb; roumors of a Sonic movie due to be released some time in 2009.

Screw that, we know it's never gonna happen...

... But if it did, what would you have it be like? (One of the greatest "what if"s in the Sonic community - barring Xtreme, of course!)

• Thumbs Up 1

It has come to my attention that certain roumors have been circulating round the old interweb; roumors of a Sonic movie due to be released some time in 2009.

Screw that, we know it's never gonna happen...

... But if it did, what would you have it be like? (One of the greatest "what if"s in the Sonic community - barring Xtreme, of course!)

For a sec I thought you were talking about the Sonic fan film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbrRl41Eac...re=channel_page Actually kind of impressed me for being a fan project.

I think if a movie was to be released in 2009, we'd have heard about it by now. What would I want it to be about? Personally, I don't know. A blend of the different continuities would be interesting i guess.

Well, the best thing to do, I think, would to be go with the basic "origins" movie setup. Yes, the fans will piss and moan about every difference from the original material, but they'd do that no matter what it was about, and chances are they'd go see it anyway. The origins thing would be more likely to entertain a general audience than something trying to build on the nearly two decades of plot soup we have now.

I think I'd rather see them do it as a trilogy, tho', rather than a single movie. CD and S3&K are very much their own things, and can probably fill a movie themselves if you're willing to expand on them and change some stuff around. I'd combine 1 and 2 to make the first movie; neither one has enough to fill a movie on its own, but together it can probably be done. The first, I dunno, 30-ish minutes would be about Sonic 1, mostly just setting up Sonic, Eggman, and the overall concept of the series. Once Sonic kicks Eggman out of his base and off of South Island, the rest of the movie is the events of Sonic 2; Sonic flies in on the Tornado, meets and befriends Tails, etc. I'd probably hold off on Sonic collecting the emeralds until this part; they can certainly say that Eggman's looking for them in the first part, but to collect them, have them scatter, and then have to collect them again within the same movie...not so great. Anyway, movie ends with the Death Egg, Silver Sonic, and probably adding Super Sonic into the final boss fight, and I think that'd make for a satisfying conclusion.

Sonic CD would be next, same basic story as the game, though more emphasis on the characters (Metal especially, maybe make him a rebuilt Silver Sonic) and maybe working Tails in, probably just as support with a two-way wristwatch sort of thing. S3&K stays mostly the same, though maybe namedrop Amy, switch Mecha Sonic with Metal Sonic, and probably leave out the Super emeralds.

I'd think a Sonic 2 movie adaptation would work very well. It's the first Sonic game to really incorperate a story other than "Good guy fights Bad guy" and havng more than two charecters would make the movie more enjoyable. I can't see a Sonic movie where he talks to himself most of the time.

And if they make a Sonic movie without Tails, I will take an axe to someone's face.

For a sec I thought you were talking about the Sonic fan film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbrRl41Eac...re=channel_page Actually kind of impressed me for being a fan project.

I think if a movie was to be released in 2009, we'd have heard about it by now. What would I want it to be about? Personally, I don't know. A blend of the different continuities would be interesting i guess.

I found this fan movie rather impressive Nazo Unleashed, This was made a while before Sonic Unleashed, split into 3 part's and last for about 45 mins.

If it' makes me fell as good as that movie did, it get's a thumbs up, but I think that if they made it look like the current gameplay movies (Shadow TH, SU ect) and it doesn't go as badly as the Dragonball movie *Shudders* Then I think it would work out fine.

I'd think a Sonic 2 movie adaptation would work very well. It's the first Sonic game to really incorperate a story other than "Good guy fights Bad guy" and havng more than two charecters would make the movie more enjoyable. I can't see a Sonic movie where he talks to himself most of the time.

And if they make a Sonic movie without Tails, I will take an axe to someone's face.

I also compleatly Second Everything you have just said.

Edited by BlueFox

I'd like to see a mix of the OAV and Sonic X (adventures is also allowed, especially the acid road trip wacky scenarios), with no unnecessary characters or if they're needed, not hogging the spotlight then. Funny and light-hearted, yet deep as well. I could see a Sonic 1 and CD together for intruduction, then Sonic 2, 3&K as the truly epic saga. The two adventures could be done in a film each, or then perhaps in two parts (although SA2 has a lot to tell). Sonic Heroes isn't very big or complicated, so they could attach this one with another one for example (Shadow?, SRA?). Skip 06 or do it differently. Sonic Unleashed is big enough for another one as well. All I ask for is faithfulness to the games to some degree, good characterization and respect for the franchise. The OAV pulled it off quite well, even with major changes for example, and Sonic X, except annoying male Elise, had it's moments. Still I think that a movie would cost too much, a well done OAV would be preferable for the company.

I didn't even see more than one second of it and I'm already facepalming. Forget SatAM for heaven's sake, let it rest in peace.

Edited by redmenace

If this is referring to all the recent 'hype' surrounding that long dragged out drama llama of a project that Sonmanic/A knothole resident is supposedly doing, then good god, again? It seems it gets mentioned at least once or twice a week before the majority just groan and leave it be, and in this case, with good reason given who's doing it. I'm also not taking those little animatics teasers he's floating about online at face value as a good friend of mine, an art institute student in CGI/animation told me that the length of those is laughable - if he was indeed trying to present that to whoever in hopes of getting beyond a free fan release it's not getting very far as student animatics tend to run way longer than 1-5 seconds, like 5-8 minutes at least.

After saying all that, I pretty much cringe whenever I hear the words 'Sonic' and 'movie' put together in the same sentence, though all that aside, I guess I'd like a movie that was based heavily on the games' mythos, like a retelling of Sonic 2 or a condensation of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

• Bad Quality Post 1

I'd want a CG Sonic Movie done by the team that did Night of the Werehog, and as predictable as it is, I'd want a origin story between Sonic and Dr. Robotnik... Or at least how they came to become enemies. Sonic doesn't seem like the type to just pick an arch enemy and stick to him like stink on a monkey.

If they're to make a Sonic movie, here's how I'd like to see it.

Get the writers and artists from Sonic Unleashed to handle the art direction and story, making the story light-hearted and fun but throughout the movie you'll still know there's a serious situation that Sonic and co. have to take care of. Make the story an original story too, unrelated to any current game, perhaps make it a prequel to Sonic Unleashed? Characters should include most of the current Sonic characters without shoe-horning any of them into the story. Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik are a must, but other side characters such as Shadow or Knuckles can make appearences as well.

Like with any fanmade project, be it a webcomic, a movie short or a game, it'll get canned before it's completely finished right after a "beta" or some crap is announced given the creator a little fan cred.

Staying on topic thou, I'd love to just brush away everything after Sonic 2. Make a mix of Sonic 1 and 2 in a story with lush Green Hills, those wooden bridges, classic badniks and bumpers with those stars on them.

Sega would say its going to focus on Sonic's "Roots" and they wouldn't be wrong.

But then you'd get people screaming for Shadow and Chao and what not, totally oblivious to how it would leave an impression on those that were around in the glory days

Yeah, i would like more movies like "Night of the werehog" or the Sonic and Cheap adventures in Sonic Unleashed. I love them, it really shows the effort Sonic Team tried to do for getting back Sonic to the good years.

And also more movies with the Sonic CD design, is too awesome. (But no Metal Sonic kicking Sonic´s butt plz D:)

Edited by Blue Kirby

Yeesh, the art style in that fanmade movie is a huge turn-off.

I don't even want a Sonic movie, all I want is a 30 minute OVA of CD-style Sonic action, with no story, dialogue, or anything. Just 30 minutes of action filled with more wasted budget than the Disgaea anime trailer.

A straight adaption of the Mega Drive games (either one, a couple or all of them) wouldn't work because those stories lack character-based drama. They are basically just "good guys vs bad guys", and movie with those premises hardly ever turns out good. In order for a story to be really involving for most people over ten, there needs to be some sort of more realistic conflict between the good guys. I suppose they could build something on the "Knuckles being tricked by Eggman"-thing from S3 and S&K, but even that premise alone wouldn't be enough.

They would probably have to severely re-write the whole saga told in the original 2D-games, maybe fuse together characters and situations from all of those games. Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Eggman and Metal Sonic might at least provide enough major characters to tell a decent story, whatever that may be. Oh and they would have to give the whole Sonic-concept a lot more backstory. Where Sonic comes from, where it all takes place, ect.

This is what they need to do in order to make the movie work for general, non-fan audiences, anyway.

A sequel based more on the 3D games could probably follow the source material better, since it has so much more story to begin with. I think a somewhat re-imagined version of Shadow's story could work really well, for instance.

Basically it'll be like x-men in terms of characters, for a reason, I look at Shadow in a film like Dr Manhattan in WATCHMEN just like the sth game he was in he could be remembering the past adventures with the russian music in the background, but to be honest like STAR TREK Sonic's origins have never been truly explained in game form, comics we already have the archie and fleetway versions, so with a good writer a film version could be good, If an adaptation is called for id say Sonic Battle and chronicles are the best way to go

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would love to see a direct movie adaptation of either Sonic '06, SA1 or SA2. In CGI with the old voice actors (NOT 4Kids), please.

Oooh, and have Jun Senoue do the soundtrack. That would, err, ROCK!

asgfksADGHHFJKF Okay, I wish I could say this calmly but why the CRAP do so many people want direct videogame adaptations for movies, anyway? Has it not sunk into any of your heads how badly those always turn out, even outside of Uwe Boll's unholy stamp of death? And even IF they somehow make a somewhat acceptable flick out of it, what's the bloody point? You're essentially paying over 10 bucks to watch a game you've already played, finished and most likely 100% cleared. Furthermore, who the heck is even going to watch a Sonic film when, far and wide, most people consider the franchise nowadays to be a laughing stock? To me it just screams "complete fucking waste of development money" and I'd think Sega would be better off waiting until their mascot has some better rep before trying to squeeze every dollar out of him - personally, I'm happy with them just making kick-ass ingame cutscenes and the occasional movie short, and I don't see why anyone else should ask more of them either.

Remaking old games in film form just screams of unoriginality to me, and I'd much prefer Sonic to take advantage of a new medium instead of trying to cram a game plot into them - they just don't fit together, and quite notoriously so.

^ BL, I think a Sonic movie done nicely like the OVA would actually draw quite a crowd.

Anyways, I'd prefer an original story centered around the characters in the modern series. While I think the classic games were better in atmosphere, I wish we wouldn't have to look back to them for inspiration. Or if an original story wouldn't cut it, I'd say fine to a retelling of a classic game, with a modern spin. Like the Death Egg saga, where Knuckles is still a bad guy, but maybe Amy and Metal, and other characters that didn't appear in that game add to the story. I'd bet with enough effort you could even combine that and SA's Chaos arc into one story. The best games to draw on would be S3&K and both Adventure games, IMO.

I actually like Diogenes idea, being a two part movie series and all that. I'd say it would make a good origin film.

Anyway, if there is one Sonic game that I could see as a movie would most likely be SA2. You have a good cast of characters, a nice story for both sides (Dark story going a little deeper the Hero), and multiple locations to go through. Just bring back the original voice actors, add a little more detail, and there you go.

But, I think the best thing for a Sonic movie would be a completely original plot. I truly don't know how they would take it, such as the currently running "monster of the week" gig they've had, or something a tad more unique. One thing I think would work best is to take the Sonic X scenario and have the blue blur show in the "real" world, but just no Chris Thorndyke. Please. And maybe not such a futuristic Earth they had in the show, and have actual locations that exist.

Personally, I would love to see a direct movie adaptation of either Sonic '06, SA1 or SA2.
Bad as 06's story was, I always felt it would have been far better as a movie than as a game, regardless of whether or not the game itself was good. Mainly because it's so reliant on its storyline.