Awoo.

Have The Adventure Games Lost Credit Due To Other Gameplay Styles?

Cortez

The non-instant turning kind of heightens the speed feeling for me. You have to sort of plan when you want to turn in a more realistic way. You can only instantly change direction at lower speeds.

The games may not have pinball/gravity momentum, but removing this element of direction changing would lose what momentum based gameplay we DO have - horizontal momentum.

Granted though - the level design still hasn't used this to it's greatest potential yet.

So all this for the sake of realism? Whatever.

Realism and control. Giving Sonic the ability to turn sharply at high speeds really only results in collision problems. Maneuvering sharply in 3D space is better suited for slower platforming and 360-degree exploration. When you're going at supersonic speeds, you're going up and down and all around, but not left or right. (Not sharply, anyway) That's why we have the Quickstep and the Spindash Drift, for more sensible movement while running at high speeds, which Sonic is geared towards.

And for the record, twitchy controls at high speeds is one of the countless problems Sonic 2006 had.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

Realism and control. Giving Sonic the ability to turn sharply at high speeds really only results in collision problems. Maneuvering sharply in 3D space is better suited for slower platforming and 360-degree exploration. When you're going at supersonic speeds, you're going up and down and all around, but not left or right. That's why we have the Quickstep and the Spindash Drift, for more sensible movement while running at high speeds, which Sonic is geared towards.

And for the record, twitchy controls at high speeds is one of the countless problems Sonic 2006 had.

Collision problems? Really? I didn't know that...

So all this for the sake of realism? Whatever.

There's no point having super powered gameplay if the super powers don't react in the way you'd naturally expect them to. How is Sonic supposed to feel out of control speedy if he isn't - to some degree - out of control? You can still turn sharply in the lower speed areas, which essentially Sonic Adventure 1 is an entire game of. Notice what happens when you DO whack left during the speedier levels like Speed Highway? You lose all your speed. So save that for the non-speedy areas.

Collision problems? Really? I didn't know that...

Not necessarily collision detection problems, though that was an issue in the Adventure games.

When I say collision problems, I mean accidentally bumping into walls and obstacles due to being too free with the controls. It's akin to making Sonic a lubricated slippery soap on ice with rockets attached to him. Directing faster movement forward is kind of the only reasonable way to go when you're traveling at incredible speeds. ...in 3D.

Edited by Indigo Rush

So then, Adventure-like controls for Sonic at low speed and ones like in Generations for high-speed maneuvers?

Pretty much, except maybe make Generation's top speed turning arc tighter, but not TOO much tighter!

And somebody PLEASE fix it so that when I bump into something, Sonic doesn't decide to become a bumper car.

So then, Adventure-like controls for Sonic at low speed and ones like in Generations for high-speed maneuvers?

That's pretty much what Generations was to me already, dunno about you guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic has this weird motion blur if you try to turn around quickly and overall feels a bit jerky. The jump also feels kind of weighted down and needs more of an arc. Other than just maybe tightening his top running speed arc a little more tighter as suggested by Chaos Warp, it'd be ideal.

You know, unlike most people, I really just want the ability to run a little slower with sonic so I can turn and explore better. If there is one thing Adventure had, it's that when you were at slow speeds, you could traverse and explore with ease. The problem was whenever Sonic was at a higher speed, he'd turn as if he were just walking, and that's no good. For Unleashed onward, it's the other way around, Sonic turns for crap when he's at slow speeds. I can barely move around to explore slowly when I'm modern in Gen.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, unlike most people, I really just want the ability to run a little slower with sonic so I can turn and explore better. If there is one thing Adventure had, it's that when you were at slow speeds, you could traverse and explore with ease. The problem was whenever Sonic was at a higher speed, he'd turn as if he were just walking, and that's no good. For Unleashed onward, it's the other way around, Sonic turns for crap when he's at slow speeds. I can barely move around to explore slowly when I'm modern in Gen.

Slowing acceleration would fix that. To compensate, you could have a SA2-style spindash, minus somersault.

OMG yes! Sonic games are about two things primarily: speed and platforming. If both of those elements aren't present in ALL gameplay styles, it doesn't belong.

That's pretty much what Generations was to me already, dunno about you guys.

Walking with Sonic is like Moonwalking as Michael Jackson.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to get rid of the spamdash, just add a crouch button (which they should have done in the first place). Spindash=Crouch+Jump (or crouch plus some other button, whatever). Can't spamdash when you need to crouch first.

You could just make it so the somersault is replaced by a roll, and when you hold the button, you stop and spindash.

Its annyonig to read about people who want SPEED! SPEED SPEED SPEED haven't you've got enough speed in the new sonic games now in days?

In my opinion speed can limit a game, unless you plan on going in a 180 degree motion which is what the new sonic games basically are..

No one should wanna really go as fast as light, if so then expect the game to be bad.

and 2d is lame in my opinion, a sa1 style might be whats needed to get sonic back on track.. with tails and knuckles as playable characters.

Its annyonig to read about people who want SPEED! SPEED SPEED SPEED haven't you've got enough speed in the new sonic games now in days?

In my opinion speed can limit a game, unless you plan on going in a 180 degree motion which is what the new sonic games basically are..

No one should wanna really go as fast as light, if so then expect the game to be bad.

and 2d is lame in my opinion, a sa1 style might be whats needed to get sonic back on track.. with tails and knuckles as playable characters.

Speed is a good thing for the series, as long as it's not the only focus for the series. The level of speed is absolutely amazing, and when you combine that with reflex and momentum based platforming, it makes for a very fun experience.

I think all that speed is why everyone and their grandmother can barely play a sonic game anymore without saying.. "it was alright".

The speed might be fun for some people but for people like me that enjoy going playing a stage and exploring unseen areas..And by speed i mostly meen the endless boosts you get for simply killing a easy npc...

The new sonic games are just to kid based.

... Kid based? Er, you might want to elaborate on this because this doesn't really make any sense.

Edited by Komodin

Pegi 3. /gruff voice.

I don't understand why people use the line, 'it's too kid based' as a derogative when it's aimed at Sonic, mainly because Sonic believe it or not has an appeal to children. Come to think of it, I've not heard anyone use that line for a long time as a derogative so I really hope you've got something good to back that one up.

I don't really understand your argument here, you're saying that speed is a bad thing, yet the idea of Sonic is to go as fast as possible and then be able to get through a level as fast as you possibly can when you learn the stage, stopping to explore unseen areas isn't what Sonic stages should be about, hub worlds, fine, just don't make it mindlessly boring.

Not to mention that it's not like you don't have this in Generations to an extent, unless everyone can pull off that hidden path at the start of Chemical Plant Zone 100% of the time I don't know.

Edited by Hogfather

lol u can argue with me all day about it not being kid based. sonic colours? corny jokes that would appeal to a 7 year old and not to mention corny looking alien creatures.. sonic unleached also a game created to grab the attention of a 12 year old by adding a werewolf? u can seriously tell me a 18-25 year old can sit down and enjoy the sight of sonic turning into a werewolf if hes supposed to be the fasted thing thing alive?

sonic knights?! talking swords? knight? wii?

yea you cant possibly tell me a mature human being can sit down and play any off those saying "hmm reminds me of conkers bad fur day"

IK we can say the older sonic games were kids based to but at least they were good.

IK we can say the older sonic games were kids based to but at least they were good.

... So was Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. You're being a bit ridiculous now...