Awoo.

If Sonic did have a love interest, what would she have to be like?

Chaos Warp

I don't think Sonic has secret or repressed feelings, but at the same time I don't think he'd be completely against the idea of a relationship if he was able to grow and mature, that's obviously not going to happen in the series unless, like Indigo said, we got a peak into Sonic's future.

Not to pick at this idea too much, but I think if were going to talk about the principle of the matter, as far as the games are concerned anyway, then you really don't have to look much farther than the people who created Amy in the first place....

Cue link to that convenient Sonic CD developer diary from a month back

http://blogs.sega.co...eveloper-diary/

There, at 1:45 or so, it was clearly stated that from a design standpoint - Sonic was never interested in Amy's affection. What we see today is more likely than not the result of blurring between mediums (Sonic X being one of those) and a flushing out of the characters via interpretation from fans like ourselves.

In addition to that, I'm fairly confident that Yuji Naka once spoke of the relationship between Sonic and Amy as a eternal game of cat and mouse that would probably never advance beyond that.

Just throwing this out there, but If we were to go down the Principal line, wouldn't it be more likely that Sonic and Amy would stay apart rather than end up together?

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Not to pick at this idea too much, but I think if were going to talk about the principle of the matter, as far as the games are concerned anyway, then you really don't have to look much farther than the people who created Amy in the first place....

There, at 1:45 or so, it was clearly stated that from a design standpoint - Sonic was never interested in Amy's affection. What we see today is more likely than not the result of blurring between mediums (Sonic X being one of those) and a flushing out of the characters via interpretation from fans like ourselves.

In addition to that, I'm fairly confident that Yuji Naka once spoke of the relationship between Sonic and Amy as a eternal game of cat and mouse that would probably never advance beyond that.

Just throwing this out there, but If we were to go down the Principal line, wouldn't it be more likely that Sonic and Amy would stay apart rather than end up together?

You could just see it as more of gradual thing rather than ruining an original concept.

I guess principle was the wrong term.

What I'm trying to point out is that Sonic is a blue hedgehog. Amy is a pink hedgehog. Amy loves Sonic. Sonic is always saving Amy, and their "relationship" is teased in both out of canon and within canon. Amy is the first "love interest" in the series, and the only long-standing one. Remember, there are quite a few moments where Amy talks about how Sonic's promised to take her out on a date (whether you find games like Chronicles and Riders canon or not). In addition, while not canon, Sonic X has had influence from Sonic Team themselves; I don't think they would greenlight anything that they would find contradictory or blatantly wrong.

Unless SEGA intentionally shakes things up with some other chick (like they nearly did with Sonic X-Treme's Tiara Boobowski) or with another new character, or, heck, Blaze even, I don't see any reason to think that Amy and Sonic won't go anywhere once they reach adulthood.

But admittedly, I don't see any reason that they would either, aside from the previous details I noted. The fact of the matter is that we won't see anything more than we already have unless there's some "what-if" scenario.

I'm not trying to ship them or anything, just putting forward the evidence.

Edited by Indigo Rush

You could just see it as more of gradual thing rather than ruining an original concept.

But the whole point of the original concept was not to be tampered with. You either have a cat & mouse relationship..... or you don't. There isn't much in the way of wiggle room there is it?

I guess principle was the wrong term.

Ah. Okay. We're on the same page then.

What I'm trying to point out is that Sonic is a blue hedgehog. Amy is a pink hedgehog. Amy loves Sonic. Sonic is always saving Amy, and their "relationship" is teased in both out of canon and within canon. Amy is the first "love interest" in the series, and the only long-standing one. Remember, there are quite a few moments where Amy talks about how Sonic's promised to take her out on a date (whether you find games like Chronicles and Riders canon or not). In addition, while not canon, Sonic X has had influence from Sonic Team themselves; I don't think they would greenlight anything that they would find contradictory or blatantly wrong.

Unless SEGA intentionally shakes things up with some other chick (like they nearly did with Sonic X-Treme's Tiara Boobowski) or with another new character, or, heck, Blaze even, I don't see any reason to think that Amy and Sonic won't go anywhere once they reach adulthood.

But admittedly, I don't see any reason that they would either, aside from the previous details I noted. The fact of the matter is that we won't see anything more than we already have unless there's some "what-if" scenario.

I'm not trying to ship them or anything, just putting forward the evidence.

I see where your coming from then. Its just a little rough sometimes when a good deal of the evidence is intentionally left up to the eye of the beholder. Save for Sonic X of course, which attempted to shove SonicxChrisAmy down out collective throats laugh.png

To be honest, I think Sonic could work in any direction Sega decides to mold him. Of course, it would fall back to the old standby of anything is possible with strong writing/storytelling - but I think the potential is there if they were so inclined to harness it.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

This is what I've been wanting to say for a while, but I couldn't remember for the life of me where I got the idea that they worked out just like this. I would +rep you for finding this, but I overran my use of 'likes' for the day. =<

Yeah, Word of God officially made it where Sonic and Amy is a constant cat-and-mouse chase; and stuff such as Sonic X kind of brought decaying to the status quo (I swear X did so many things that irritates me). I don't think that with the way Sonic lives his life, and the way Amy is with her personality (also being all stalkerish and uber-clingy and all) I don't believe the two would ever work out, in honesty.

And Amy is a pink hedgehog only because she was female and they didn't know where to go from there, without a reference for how far they could go with designs back then. =P

Yeah, Word of God officially made it where Sonic and Amy is a constant cat-and-mouse chase; and stuff such as Sonic X kind of brought decaying to the status quo (I swear X did so many things that irritates me). I don't think that with the way Sonic lives his life, and the way Amy is with her personality (also being all stalkerish and uber-clingy and all) I don't believe the two would ever work out, in honesty.

Ya know, I know X deserves a lot of flak, but I honestly think that's one of the things they did right. I mean seeing Amy chase Sonic all of the time and Sonic just ignoring her would've gotten boring fast(and it has in the games), I at least appreciate the fact they went out of their way to develop their relationship beyond the stereotypes they were stuck with.

But it doesn't really help that their personalities within X were Flanderizations of themselves (..and they kind of let that slide into game-canon). In fact even though they did give the "development" that they sorta got together, was there really reason to? Why did Sonic suddenly start getting a change of heart for Amy whenever her personality was the same as always, if not even worse due to the Flanderization? It's not like Sonic's personality would change right on a dime either.. As much as people may hate to hear this, bad writing combined with Flanderization and anime stereotypes is kind of* what made Sonic and Amy happen in X.

And of course it'd get boring! That's why you take her out of the circle of "must have characters" and switch others within intervals. If CSS took a step in here he'd know where I'm going with this. =P

* - MASSIVE understatement

Edited by Azukara

I think my issue with Amy is that she just doesn't strike me as a serious romantic partner. She fulfills her roll as the comedic fangirl of the main character, but she's a twelve year old girl, and her feelings are probably... well, preteen crush. Sometimes she's given more subtle characterization in games like Adventure and Unleashed, but I just can't see a twelve year old in a serious relationship because she's still so young, and a lot of tween romances are awkward and messy as heck.

If she matured, maybe, but given how status quo is mostly law in the Sonic series, it's doubtful. Right now, her expectations for Sonic to marry her and settle down just don't gel with his free spirit.

But it doesn't really help that their personalities within X were Flanderizations of themselves (..and they kind of let that slide into game-canon).

It's not the age gap that bothers me. Three years isn't necessarily a huge difference; I just don't think Amy's mature enough as she is right now for an actual committed relationship. It makes sense because... well, she is twelve, and her interest is played for laughs. If she was still eight and Sonic was fifteen, then it might be more jarring.

Plus, the maturity levels are different enough. Like I said, maybe if they were both older, but the way Amy is presented in the games currently just doesn't strike me as solid relationship material, and that's probably how it's intended to be.

Flanderization didn't really set in until Season 3, and most of the Sonamy teasing was in the first two seasons, when the characters still had resemblance to their old personalities.

Naw, they didn't really. Sonic was your stereotypical goodie-two-shoes aloof guy, Tails became the stereotypical tech geek, Amy became the stereotypical angry dominant female with a stalker-crush, etcetera etcetera. This kind of seeped into the games after this was fabricated, within games like Heroes, Battle and everything until now. They've kind of gotten better with it since then but honestly I miss when there was near none of it at all.

Does there really need to be reason why they got together? Despite Amy's advances, they were friends, so why is it so far fetched that they would be interested in each other?

Maybe because Amy isn't the psychotic bitch that you seem to be implying she is? Yeah, she has her negative traits, but she also has her positive ones, you act as if its completely impossible for Sonic to fall for her.

I think Mega covered exactly what I think about in the post above me, so let me quote it:

It's not the age gap that bothers me. Three years isn't necessarily a huge difference; I just don't think Amy's mature enough as she is right now for an actual committed relationship. It makes sense because... well, she is twelve, and her interest is played for laughs. If she was still eight and Sonic was fifteen, then it might be more jarring.

Plus, the maturity levels are different enough. Like I said, maybe if they were both older, but the way Amy is presented in the games currently just doesn't strike me as solid relationship material, and that's probably how it's intended to be.

Moving on..

This really just sounds like you're looking for an excuse to bash X some more. Once again, Flanderization didn't really set in until season 3, before that, nobody but Sonic felt OOC or Flanderized, hell I remember Amy being far more tame in the first two seasons than the third.

Or maybe develop them beyond their roles and stereotypes they're stuck with, something *gasp* X did with Sonic & Amy.

It's getting to the point of "agree to disagree", considering I'm starting to think you're going out on a limb to put Sonic and Amy together, and you're starting to think I'm going out on a limb to further bash Sonic X. *shrug*

Edited by Azukara

Naw, they didn't really. Sonic was your stereotypical goodie-two-shoes aloof guy, Tails became the stereotypical tech geek, Amy became the stereotypical angry dominant female with a stalker-crush, etcetera etcetera. This kind of seeped into the games after this was fabricated, within games like Heroes, Battle and everything until now. They've kind of gotten better with it since then but honestly I miss when there was near none of it at all.

And once again none of that set in until season 3 I remember Sonic cracking a joke or two in season 1, Amy having an entire dedicated to her trying to understand Sonic's character. So unless you only watched season 3 or only paid attention to the negative moments, Flanderization wasn't there from the start as you seem to be implying.

I think Mega covered exactly what I think about in the post above me, so let me quote it:

Moving on..

Fine then I'll respond to him.

Ok, just because its primarily played for laughs doesn't mean the two are immune to being teased together, nobody is saying they should start going out and making out, but I see nothing wrong with the two being occasionally teased to getting together.

It's getting to the point of "agree to disagree", considering I'm starting to think you're going out on a limb to put Sonic and Amy together, and you're starting to think I'm going out on a limb to further bash Sonic X. *shrug*

No, this all started because you seem cite X's ship teasing of the two as "OOC and completely wrong" and blamed it completely on Flanderization, which I rebounded by why is it considered OCC for the two to be teased seriously just because of what they were originally designed to be? Its like criticizing Tails` growth in Sa1 because he moved on from being Sonic's sidekick.

Edited by Shadic Claus

:P I'm a she, guys. Gosh.

But in all seriousness, shipteasing isn't that bad, but I just don't see it very likely on Sonic's end in the game continuity. Mainly, I was just explaining why I don't think it'd be a serious canon romance. Like... officially dating type thing.

And once again none of that set in until season 3 I remember Sonic cracking a joke or two in season 1, Amy having an entire dedicated to her trying to understand Sonic's character. So unless you only watched season 3 or only paid attention to the negative moments, Flanderization wasn't there from the start as you seem to be implying.

I never watched season 3, could barely sit through season 1, let alone the second or third seasons (although I did watch through the first two). It was all very apparent to me within those episodes. Can't put my exact finger on it, but there was one too many things off about their personalities, and a lot of it had to do with them overexaggerating one thing about each character's traits. That's what you would consider as "flanderization", right?

Also I'm starting to remember back when Amy didn't of Sonic 24/7. Maybe that would broaden my appeal to them having any relation some, but at the same time, she's still very naive and immature, which still leaves it kind of closed off to me. Pretty much referring back to what Mega said.

Ok, just because its primarily played for laughs doesn't mean the two are immune to being teased together, nobody is saying they should start going out and making out, but I see nothing wrong with the two being occasionally teased to getting together.

But with them as they are now, what gives the incentive that Sonic would be interested in it in any way?

No, this all started because you seem cite X's ship teasing of the two as "OOC and completely wrong" and blamed it completely on Flanderization, which I rebounded by why is it considered OCC for the two to be teased seriously just because of what they were originally designed to be? Its like criticizing Tails` growth in Sa1 because he moved on from being Sonic's sidekick.

I'm kinda annoyed with myself for bringing up X's flaws in here; its for another topic altogether that I'm not even sure I'd want to be a part of.

Also yeah, I'd be kind of upset if Tails moved on completely from being Sonic's sidekick, because that's sort of what he does. He can be his own person and have his own life and be peachy keen, fine and dandy; but him not having to do with playing sidekick / younger brother to Sonic would be quite offputting. And with THAT, he didn't even "move on" from being his sidekick as much as he did just stop being so clingy to him.

Edited by Azukara

tongue.png I'm a she, guys. Gosh.

But in all seriousness, shipteasing isn't that bad, but I just don't see it very likely on Sonic's end in the game continuity. Mainly, I was just explaining why I don't think it'd be a serious canon romance. Like... officially dating type thing.

I really need to start looking at the information below a person's profile, it would do me wonders.

Just for the record, the games have gotten in on it as well, you got Unleashed and how he reacted to Amy not recognizing him, and then his somewhat dejected look after he saves her, and the fact that you can agree to take her on a date or not, and the fact that they actually were on a date in Black Knight. Also, X was supervised by Sonic Team themselves.

I never watched season 3, could barely sit through season 1, let alone the second or third seasons (although I did watch through the first two). It was all very apparent to me within those episodes. Can't put my exact finger on it, but there was one too many things off about their personalities, and a lot of it had to do with them overexaggerating one thing about each character's traits. That's what you would consider as "flanderization", right?

Also I'm starting to remember back when Amy didn't of Sonic 24/7. Maybe that would broaden my appeal to them having any relation some, but at the same time, she's still very naive and immature, which still leaves it kind of closed off to me. Pretty much referring back to what Mega said.

Ok, I hate X too but I even I know this is bullshit. I've watched every single episode at least twice(Nothing good came on that period of Saturdays), and I honestly saw no difference in how the characters were between that point in the games. Tails was demoted because of Chris, Knuckles was a still a competent warrior, who while having his gullible moments was competent in what he did and almost never a butt monkey, and like I said Sonic was a lot more wacky in the first few episodes. Amy, indeed became more bitchy, but it was usually provoked by someone else and she barely "stalked" Sonic, at all. At most she just tried to impress him, ask him out, etc. and Sonic would just blow her off.

There's no doubt X Flanderized the characters and it would subsequently find its way into the games, but it wasn't that way at the beginning and it actually started pretty decently, Chris notwithstanding.

But with them as they are now, what gives the incentive that Sonic would be interested in it in any way?

What incentive says he wouldn't? You yourself said they were friends, is it impossible for friends to feel something different about a person they've known for a long time?

I'm kinda annoyed with myself for bringing up X's flaws in here; its for another topic altogether that I'm not even sure I'd want to be a part of.

Also yeah, I'd be kind of upset if Tails moved on completely from being Sonic's sidekick, because that's sort of what he does. He can be his own person and have his own life and be peachy keen, fine and dandy; but him not having to do with playing sidekick / younger brother to Sonic would be quite offputting. And with THAT, he didn't even "move on" from being his sidekick as much as he did just stop being so clingy to him.

But Tails still, more or less, grew up and stopped relying on Sonic. But that's off topic.

Just for the record, the games have gotten in on it as well, you got Unleashed and how he reacted to Amy not recognizing him, and then his somewhat dejected look after he saves her,

Pretty sure he'd be disappointed if any of his friends didn't recognize him (even though Tails did, but that's most likely because Tails is so used to the crap Sonic gets into at this point that he doesn't think much of it, lol).

and the fact that you can agree to take her on a date or not, and the fact that they actually were on a date in Black Knight.

I'm pret-ty sure Sonic just does it to humor her and get it out of the way; especially with the way she responds if you choose "no".

Also, X was supervised by Sonic Team themselves.

Good grief.

I'm gonna step out of this topic for a while, guys, catch some fresh air.

Edited by Azukara

Pretty sure he'd be disappointed if any of his friends didn't recognize him (even though Tails did, but that's most likely because Tails is so used to the crap Sonic gets into at this point that he doesn't think much of it, lol).

I'm pret-ty sure Sonic just does it to humor her and get it out of the way; especially with the way she responds if you choose "no".

Good grief.

I'm gonna step out of this topic for a while, guys, catch some fresh air.

Are you seriously trying to find any reason you can to confirm why Sonic and Amy can never be a couple and any and all ship tease between the two is false and completely nonsensical, because it really feels that way.

Edited by Shadic Claus

'Shipping' is so lame. Also isn't it obvious that Sonic isn't interested? Sonic is more focused on taking down some robot muthafuckers than pursuing romance LOL

This is why I said "agree to disagree", although now it's in a more direct manner.

I can say just as much as you are that it seems you're going out of your way to try and confirm that Sonic and Amy are truly workable, and all things related to Amy's main schtick is and can be considered as fully canon-proven "shipteasing".

So this is the part where we agree to disagree, considering that the things we both believe about this directly antagonize each other... and I'm growing a bit tiresome on the subject. Time to carry along~

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is why I said "agree to disagree", although now it's in a more direct manner.

In reality, I can say it seems you're going out of your way to try and confirm that Sonic and Amy are truly workable and all things related to Amy's main schtick is and can be considered as fully canon-proven shipteasing.

So this is the part where we agree to disagree, considering that the things we both believe about this directly antagonize each other... and I'm growing a bit tiresome on the subject. Time to carry along~

I'm going to say one last thing, I'm not trying to prove anything, I just going by what's been shown and nothing else, it just really felt like you were going out of your way to basically say "No, its not canon and never can be canon and all who think so are wrong".

I'm going to say one last thing, I'm not trying to prove anything, I just going by what's been shown and nothing else, it just really felt like you were going out of your way to basically say "No, its not canon and never can be canon and all who think so are wrong".

It sounds like you want them to be together haha. But obviously Sonic isn't interested. Need I quote Heroes Sonic again? XD

It sounds like you want them to be together haha. But obviously Sonic isn't interested. Need I quote Heroes Sonic again? XD

...I love people who put words in my mouth, makes me feel so special.

Well, it's hard for me to wrap my head around it considering I don't find many things that appealing behind the character of Amy, so yeah, sorry if I came off that way, but it's honestly how I kinda feel about it.

And it has nothing to do with me preferring another possible pairing over it; it really has to do with that I just don't feel that the characters mend well.

And while you may not intend it, it really does sound like you want them to be together, which is why I've carried the argument on for so long. I would've shrugged and walked it off if it sounded more neutral. =P

• Thumbs Up 2