Awoo.

If Sonic did have a love interest, what would she have to be like?

Chaos Warp

Who's to say it would be a she... :P

Honestly though, although cute love interests can work in some innocent series, I for some reason think it may serve as a distraction to where we want the series to go. After the Elise disaster Sega would be tredding on thin ice, as people would be waiting for anything to ridicule!

No, i meant "yes" as in "yes im sure" in answer to your question.

I dont like Amy, but i can assure you i dont hate her either. I think my preference towards the idea that Amy's crush is entirely one sided, over the idea that Sonic might have some feelings for her as well, is mostly due to the fact that the latter leaves a question hanging that will never ever be resolved. Because we all know that Sega will never allow Sonic to actually go steady with Amy. And i find this scenario kinda frustrating and annoying.

So yeah, i would have prefered it Sega had let Amy remain a little kid and therefore eliminated any potential for the two to enter this sort of open ended, never to be resolved ship-teasy situation.

I don't see what's so annoying about it to be honest, I mean if the entire narrative was dragged down by it then yeah I can understand, but leaving it open ended kinda leaves it up to everyone else's interpretation instead of leaning towards either side.

All right, I'm going to try this one more time (this time with more logic LOL). The topic itself implies (and I hope you guys seriously do not mean this) that you want to make a new character to be Sonic's love interest, and that's a bad way to go about it. We've already got more than enough characters (to the point where I can't comprehend the series being able to maintain having all of them in), so adding another one, especially for the sole purpose of being the love interest is a stupid idea. So it'd be easier to work with characters we already have to give Sonic a love interest.

Now then, let's take a look at the other characters (it should go without saying that we'll only look at the girls). Cream is too young for Sonic, she's about 10 years younger than he is, and she's too young to be worrying about something like that. Rouge doesn't really interact with Sonic much, and is more interested in Knuckles and Shadow. Blaze certainly seems like a good match personality wise, but she doesn't appear that much due to living in the Sol Dimension. Same with Marine on that last point. And Shade, if she ever does appear again, seems to be more interested in Knuckles than Sonic (although she is friendly to Sonic). So that pretty much leaves Amy (did I forget anyone?).

The problem, of course, is Amy's personality. Now, you may be thinking, they could just alter Rouge's personality and make her the love interest, but they'd have to do so to the point where Rouge just wouldn't be Rouge anymore, so I see no point in that. Meanwhile, Amy could probably be a better fit if they tone down her obsessiveness to the point where she doesn't come off as being an insane stalker fangirl. Honestly, she's become a parody of herself at this point. So I think originally they did intend for her to be a sort of love interest, but bad writing and character development has made it appear as if they're not compatible. Amy's character really needs to redone.

Alternatively, maybe it is possible for Sonic to get away with not having a true love interest, but it's pretty much become standard at this point, even in kids' series. IDK, though, I personally find shipping to be a pointless exercise. Who cares whether or not two imaginary characters will end up romantically involved with each other? I know it sounds like I do, but I was just trying to put this whole thing to rest because at the time I thought it wasn't really much of an argument. And with that, I most likely have no need to keep replying to this topic. Good day to you all.

Edited by Bolt The Cat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who cares whether or not two imaginary characters will end up romantically involved with each other?
Who cares about anything that happens to fictional characters?

Anyone who gives a damn about fiction, that's who.

A lot of shippers are weird, obsessing over their ships, distorting the characters to make things work out how they want, throwing shit fits when things don't go their way.

But on the other hand, romance is as valid a part of fiction as anything else. If you can worry about characters when they're in danger and cheer when they succeed, why can't you do the same when romance is involved?

• Thumbs Up 7

All right, I'm going to try this one more time (this time with more logic LOL). The topic itself implies (and I hope you guys seriously do not mean this) that you want to make a new character to be Sonic's love interest, and that's a bad way to go about it.

I didn't see any implication that people wanted to make a new character. Actually, this entire discussion from start to finish has been no character meshes with Sonic's love for freedom and adventure, and the ideal lover for Sonic would have to deal with the fact that Sonic never wants to be tied down, at all.

All right, I'm going to try this one more time (this time with more logic LOL). The topic itself implies (and I hope you guys seriously do not mean this) that you want to make a new character to be Sonic's love interest, and that's a bad way to go about it. We've already got more than enough characters (to the point where I can't comprehend the series being able to maintain having all of them in), so adding another one, especially for the sole purpose of being the love interest is a stupid idea. So it'd be easier to work with characters we already have to give Sonic a love interest.

Now then, let's take a look at the other characters (it should go without saying that we'll only look at the girls). Cream is too young for Sonic, she's about 10 years younger than he is, and she's too young to be worrying about something like that. Rouge doesn't really interact with Sonic much, and is more interested in Knuckles and Shadow. Blaze certainly seems like a good match personality wise, but she doesn't appear that much due to living in the Sol Dimension. Same with Marine on that last point. And Shade, if she ever does appear again, seems to be more interested in Knuckles than Sonic (although she is friendly to Sonic). So that pretty much leaves Amy (did I forget anyone?).

The problem, of course, is Amy's personality. Now, you may be thinking, they could just alter Rouge's personality and make her the love interest, but they'd have to do so to the point where Rouge just wouldn't be Rouge anymore, so I see no point in that. Meanwhile, Amy could probably be a better fit if they tone down her obsessiveness to the point where she doesn't come off as being an insane stalker fangirl. Honestly, she's become a parody of herself at this point. So I think originally they did intend for her to be a sort of love interest, but bad writing and character development has made it appear as if they're not compatible. Amy's character really needs to redone.

Alternatively, maybe it is possible for Sonic to get away with not having a true love interest, but it's pretty much become standard at this point, even in kids' series. IDK, though, I personally find shipping to be a pointless exercise. Who cares whether or not two imaginary characters will end up romantically involved with each other? I know it sounds like I do, but I was just trying to put this whole thing to rest because at the time I thought it wasn't really much of an argument. And with that, I most likely have no need to keep replying to this topic. Good day to you all.

Wasn't Amy sort of designed to be Sonic's fangirl from the start? Like someone said the entire thing about Sonic & Amy is that Amy is the one interested in him, while Sonic doesn't share said feeling. You could make the way he feels as ambiguous as possible, but returning said feelings goes completely against the original concept of the character's dynamic. Now something interesting could be done from that with that like Amy being frustrated with Sonic not reciprocating, and Sonic being annoyed by her advances and things could have developed from there instead of sticking with the same old actions between the two. Romance helps develops characters and it helps open dimensions that normal friendship can't. Characters are people, whether they're fictional or not and you grow to care about these people and hope the best for them and like to see them develop.

The fact that Blaze lives in another dimension which I'm sure they occasional visit back and forth would totally work form him.

Distant lovers to be exact...

So unless Sonic develops a need for female companionship this is not problematic. And if he/shedoes need each other for a bit I'm sure they would indeed come to see each other...you know like regular people.

Sonic's first love is Adventure while Blaze is her duty to her Kingdom. They would both understand that their attraction to eachother is second in a way, so I'm sure they would not need to be constantly reminded of this affection every single day.

Unless Blaze goes Emo or some shit.

I know I'm coming off being a obsessive shipper, but its not like that...I'm just gauging people and personalities together that make sense in the franchise SO FAR with present knowledge.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

And Sonic does give a fuck, to the point where he wants to keep her safe. If he really didn't give a fuck, he wouldn't be saving her.

Who cares about anything that happens to fictional characters?

Anyone who gives a damn about fiction, that's who.

A lot of shippers are weird, obsessing over their ships, distorting the characters to make things work out how they want, throwing shit fits when things don't go their way.

But on the other hand, romance is as valid a part of fiction as anything else. If you can worry about characters when they're in danger and cheer when they succeed, why can't you do the same when romance is involved?

Edited by Bolt The Cat

it does feel a bit unsatisfying for Sonic not to have a love interest.

Depends on the person there. I'm personally fine with the lack of Love Interest. If Amy, or whoever does become a love interest instead of wanting to be a love interest, then sure.

But games, and stories don't need a love interest. Specially when the story is pretty broken up. It's mostly a story-writing cliché that seems to be ingrained in us all.

Sonic clearly likes Amy as a FRIEND, and STRICTLY a friend. While she likes him a more than a friend, he doesn't like her that way. He doesn't want to be tied down, especially to a girl who thinks she "owns" him and mistakes others girls as wanting Sonic (hey Cosmo and Blaze hows it going).

I tried getting into shipping when I first joined Serebii Forums about 4 years ago, but got bored of it soon enough because of how pointless it was.
  • Thumbs Up 3

'Sort of. I want to say that they might have intended originally was for Sonic to be a bit scared of Amy but have her grow on him eventually, but assuming that theory is correct, that would've been ruined by the way they developed Amy, which would've been a complete 180 from their intentions, so probably not. At any rate, Sonic and Amy seem like they should be together, but only because of general writing patterns and little else. And what I mean by that is, how many times does it seem like the main male and main female character are shipped together? There are some other little such patterns, I'm sure, but I can't put my finger on them. But other than that, I admit, they don't really seem that compatible as is. But again, if they could just tone down the obsessiveness and emphasis Amy's more positive traits. When she's not chasing after Sonic, she seems like an energetic, independent, and kind hearted individual, and that side of Amy seems like it could be compatible with Sonic. For example, look at SA1. From Sonic's side of the story, she's little more than a damsel in distress. But during her story, you see a lot more to it than that. She goes through hell and back to keep Birdie from being handed over to Eggman, and she reaches out to Gamma's until then nonexistant "heart" to help. Also in Heroes, when Amy isn't chasing after Sonic (she becomes laughably insane in that those particular cutscenes), we also see a bit of that side of her when she's helping Cream and Big find Chocola and Froggy. Where has this Amy gone? We need more of her in future games.

If Sonic was to have a love intrest, I'd be nice to have her around for a couple of games, instead of the generic "Love intrest comes in for one game, dies at the end."

And no humans.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that it's in Sonic's personality to want to help people. I think Sonic would do well with a girl that he could help and feel like he should be there for her; if he didn't he would have no reason to stick around long enough for any feelings to for in the first place. In return, the love interest would act as grounding for him—not in the sense of limiting his freedom or anything, but encouraging him not to leave his friends in the dust so often, and actually becoming closer to the people he cares about.

As much as I hate saying this, this is the one thing they did right with Elise—while Elise is a terrible fit for him for many other reasons, her existence does allow us to see the side of Sonic who cares and wants to help, however he can.

I suppose this whole "Sonic would like a girl he could help" argument works for Blaze too.

If we were talking about a brand new character, I'd say you might as make her just like Rainbow Dash. Seriously, the writers wouldn't have to be subtle about it, they wouldn't even have to take more than one game to do it. They can just go "Look! It's a female Sonic! Oh, they're flirting with each other and Amy's jealous! Oh, they're a boyfriend and girlfriend now. Done! tongue.png "

Not that they should do that, but I'm sure they would. Hell, they could just make it easy on themselves and use Rainbow Dash herself.

Now if Sonic were gay, this would be even easier: We could all just agree that Sonic and Tails have the hots for each other and be done with the whole thing. cool.png

• 1 month later...

She'd be like this--->

Nothing. Sonic never pairs up with anyone for a reason. He wants to roam free with out having to be dragged into the mall, or go on walks in the beach, etc. That's why I despise the Modern Archie Comics, that and they pair him up with every female OOC.

I see Sonic as the kind of guy who would go out with Amy on a date perhaps once and a while out of kindness, but in most other situations he's either too busy with saving the world or having his own adventures without anyone to tie him down, besides not really being interested in a relationship at the moment. Not all teenagers are love-struck.

I imagine if Amy became less obsessive and more capable, the whole SonAmy thing wouldn't be so annoying.

Maybe you could make a story arc where Amy grows up a little, does some working out to keep up with Sonic's speed (to a degree) and the change is enough to keep Sonic from seeing her as an annoyance. The whole speed thing is mainly so playing as her isn't an absolute drag, but I imagine Sonic would be more interested in someone who could genuinely keep up with him when he's "cruising."

Just to make things clear, I don't necessarily want them to end up together in any of the games, but it could make for a better love interest if they changed the dynamics a little bit. They did some tooling with Tails' personality and individuality, maybe it's time to give Amy a little character transformation as well.

Oh, and Happy Valentines Day, SSMB!

Edited by Indigo Montoya

Well, I've said it before, I'd rather that romance not be directly written into the games. Primarily because it doesn't click too well with the series' direction. Yeah, I know there are people here who would like to take Sonic stories more seriously, but I don't think Sonic is the type of character to let romantic feelings for anyone (outside of Chillidogs) rise to the surface.

Maybe a relationship with one of the characters implied very subtly could work, but it would have to be incredibly sly and not ridiculously blatant in a "I'lll see you later hur hur hur" kind of way.

Moving away from romance in general, I think its quite awkward really, mainly because Amy as a character is quite an annoying, clingly little bitch at times (sorry fans of her character, but that's just the impression I get), who is ridiculous wrong for a character as free as Sonic. Plus, I don't like the sound of that particular breed of romantic humour where Amy goes ape-shit when she thinks that someone else is involved with Sonic. Frankly, as noted by many previously, Blaze is probably the best fit as a romantic interest for Sonic.

Anyway, in order for this to work the characters that exist now will need some seriously heavy development.Blaze would typically be her usual self in front of everybody else, but a little warmer and less resistant when Sonic is around. Amy would have to stop being clingy and domineering so that Sonic isn't automatically rupulsed by her magnetic tendencies.

That or Sonic could just be the kind of guy that really sees nobody as anything more than friends, even if others seem to think of him as more than that. Just as long as it doesn't lead to that cheap Rom-Com humour with women fighting over the main guy, don't need that in this franchise.

Bah, I'm not good at thinking about this sutff anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be entirely fair, Amy's obsessiveness and clinginess varies from game to game; one game she'll be a bitch who tries to hog Sonic to herself the next she'd be relatively tame unless Sonic or anyone did something to actively upset her, so there's that.

IMO, she'd definitely have to be an action girl, and should be able to kick ass with Sonic. I also think they should share the speed trait, so she can keep up with him. She should be similar to Sonic in personality, free sprited, cocky and heroic, but she should have unique traits to separate her. And while I think they should share the speed trait, the ability similarity should stop there. She should not in any way make him give up who he is.

So, basically, himself right?

Modern SonicxClassic Sonic is the solution! And they even have different abilities as classic can spin dash while modern can boost!

*SLAP*

Okay, on a serious note, I agree with this, except with the attitude, I don't think it would really be a good idea to have two characters with the same attitude, it wouldn't be as interesting as having differents personality, to see how they would interact between each other. And um yeah, I won't really say much more since after reading the whole topic, everything I would have said has been said (about how and why Blaze fits more the role than the other characters.).

Someone like Tails. He seems to be the only person he can stand to be around for more than a few minutes at a time anyway. And if the Hedgehog is really in the closet, maybe not someone Like Tails, but someone who IS Tails.

...Not that I ship them or anything. I was always a Sonic Amy guy.

Someone like Tails. He seems to be the only person he can stand to be around for more than a few minutes at a time anyway. And if the Hedgehog is really in the closet, maybe not someone Like Tails, but someone who IS Tails.

...Not that I ship them or anything. I was always a Sonic Amy guy.

I kind of don't like the implications that Sonic likes his adopted brother as a romantic partner.