Awoo.

Does anyone else think with the addition of another hedgehog Sonic is no longer special?

wadadouchbag

By this i mean Sonic then shadow and now silver?

does anyone else think the whole hedgehog thing is being used way to much?

No, because there's nothing special about being a hedgehog in the first place.

Edited by NintendoSoul

Isn't Shadow as fast as Sonic?

This differs depending on the game, but most recently Sonic has been described again as 'the world's fastest hedgehog.'

Also Shadow needs rocket shoes to actually travel fast...

Edited by Dreamcast

This differs depending on the game, but most recently Sonic has been described again as 'the world's fastest hedgehog.'

Shadow's most recent bio also said he shares his speed and abilities.

Shadow's most recent bio also said he shares his speed and abilities.

Doesn't that mean the 2 bio's contradict one another? Nevertheless, I will always regard Sonic as the fastest.

Yeesh, this debate...

At this point we can say Shadow rivals Sonic's speed, but when push comes to shove, Sonic will always be the fastest regardless of any bios.

Shadow needs his rocket shoes to rival Sonic's speed, no buts about it. His boost animation in Sonic Generations clearly puts that debate to rest, considering he's pretty much flying whenever he uses the boost.

Where does it say that Shadow needs his rocket shoes to be fast?

I'm pretty sure that the only reason that Sega give Shadow rocket shoes is because they thought that they look cool.

Pop in Generations, Play the Shadow rival battle, boost as Sonic, watch Shadow boost to catch up.

Shadow uses his rocket shoes to be as fast as Sonic.

Pop in Generations, Play the Shadow rival battle, boost as Sonic, watch Shadow boost to catch up.

Shadow uses his rocket shoes to be as fast as Sonic.

But that's gameplay wise. I'm talking about storyline wise. And storyline wise it has never said that Shadow needs his rocket shoes for speed.

In Sonic Battle it does, but I'm gonna ignore that because right after it says "Uses Rocket Shoes", the rest of the description is false.

Just because it's not explicitly stated does not mean it isn't implied. Gameplay has always been used to tell a story, and if developers had to stop to tell you every single detail of the game we'd be playing Metal Gear Solid a thousand times over. Ever since in his existence, Shadow has been skating to be fast. I've always gave it the benefit of the doubt because skating for hours on end takes a great amount of leg strength. However in Generations, he's not even using his feet when he boosts.

How exactly can anyone dispute that? The developers obviously took the time to place Shadow in a flying animation for his boost instead of him doing epic legwork skating like back in SA2. And I know what's probably going to be reply here:

"But Shadow has never ran before! If he didn't have his skates he would probably run just as fast as Sonic anyway!"

Well if so then Shadow must love getting his jollies off trolling people for the past ten years and this would be his biggest troll moment yet. I'm not gonna ignore common sense for now.

In Sonic Battle it does, but I'm gonna ignore that because right after it says "Uses Rocket Shoes", the rest of the description is false.

Just because it's not explicitly stated does not mean it isn't implied. Gameplay has always been used to tell a story, and if developers had to stop to tell you every single detail of the game we'd be playing Metal Gear Solid a thousand times over. Ever since in his existence, Shadow has been skating to be fast. I've always gave it the benefit of the doubt because skating for hours on end takes a great amount of leg strength. However in Generations, he's not even using his feet when he boosts.

How exactly can anyone dispute that? The developers obviously took the time to place Shadow in a flying animation for his boost instead of him doing epic legwork skating like back in SA2. And I know what's probably going to be reply here:

"But Shadow has never ran before! If he didn't have his skates he would probably run just as fast as Sonic anyway!"

Well if so then Shadow must love getting his jollies off trolling people for the past ten years and this would be his biggest troll moment yet. I'm not gonna ignore common sense for now.

Can we just say they're equal or at least rival each other and be done with it, I'd rather this not turn into a debate

• Thumbs Up 4

I believe shadow is just as fast as sonic period. Regardles of His shoes or not, he still has them! And there never coming off. So thinkin sega is ever ganna come out and say "Sonic and shadow are matched in speed, only because shadow has rocket shoes" And if that's the case it would make sonic less special because everyone could get them! So using shadow"s shoes as an excuse is just nonsense.

Edited by wadadouchbag
  • Thumbs Up 2

I believe shadow is just as fast as sonic period. Regardles of His shoes or not, he still has them! And they're never coming off

The debate on Shadow's speed without his shoes is irrvelevant for this very reason.

• Thumbs Up 8

Can we just say they're equal or at least rival each other and be done with it, I'd rather this not turn into a debate

I'm all for that.

To get back on topic: No, the multitude of hedgehogs doesn't make Sonic any less special. If anything, it makes him more special for the fact that he has and always will be the best at what he does, on his own terms. Shadow is an experiment to be the ultimate lifeform, and Silver is a telekinetic hedgehog from a desolate future, but Sonic is just a guy who loves adventure and would be bored out of his mind otherwise. The fact he does what he does, just because he wants to and not because of some past purpose or sense of duty is what truly makes him special in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm all for that.

To get back on topic: No, the multitude of hedgehogs doesn't make Sonic any less special. If anything, it makes him more special for the fact that he has and always will be the best at what he does, on his own terms. Shadow is an experiment to be the ultimate lifeform, and Silver is a telekinetic hedgehog from a desolate future, but Sonic is just a guy who loves adventure and would be bored out of his mind otherwise. The fact he does what he does, just because he wants to and not because of some past purpose or sense of duty is what truly makes him special in my eyes.

I agree with you about sonic's adventureus spirit, but the only problem I have with it is sonic is to much of the hero now, leaving out his care free go with the flow life style.. In sonic OVA I believe that was the perfect example of how sonic should act twords danger..

Well the gameplay is what counts IMO, not the story. (I know by that logic Tails and Knuckles are as fast as Sonic in the classics haha) So I think Sonic is fastest, but I agree it isn't worth arguing over tongue.png

Edited by Dreamcast

Well each hedgehog in the series so far is different. It's almost like saying the humans aren't special because there are so many of them. Each of us is special because we are different, same goes for Sonic. As long as the characters are unique in design and personality, I'll be okay with the fact that there are multiple hedgehogs.

Am I the only one that noticed that when OP author writes post here including Sonic, Shadow and Silver he always writes Sonic (with first Cap) but shadow and silver (without first cap)???

Edited by HUNTER297
  • Thumbs Up 1

The introduction of new hedgehogs has positioned them as iconic main characters with remarkable powers and crucial roles in the plot. The way hedgehogs have been presented in Sonic games has actually made them more special, and Sonic benefits from that by extension. Hedgehogs, in the Sonic universe, aren't somehow diluted by Shadow and Silver's existence; they're made to seem awesome and noteworthy. Note that this doesn't include Amy, who's been around for so long that nobody pays her hedgehogness much heed, especially since she doesn't even look like one any more.

Am I the only one that noticed that when OP author writes post here including Sonic, Shadow and Silver he always writes Sonic (with first Cap) but shadow and silver (without first cap)???

because there not the main characters, sonic is only regarded because of the influences and inspirations he presents. Talking about characters noone is really intrested in hearing about leads nowhere. Plus who really wants to read about a clone and a LSD insspired hedgehog?

because there not the main characters, sonic is only regarded because of the influences and inspirations he presents. Talking about characters noone is really intrested in hearing about leads nowhere. Plus who really wants to read about a clone and a LSD insspired hedgehog?

..You have an excuse for poor grammar? Wow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, atleast Hedgehogs won't become extinct

Amy can at least convince Sonic to make love to her to conceive a child/children....so that they can preserve their race.

Or there is always the turkey baster.

Edited by Voy-Boy

I just don't understand why the hell they don't use some different animals.

It worked good in the classics. Tails was Sonic's loyal sidekick and he was a cute little fox. Knuckles was Sonic's fierce ally/rival and he was a red echidna. Metal Sonic was a robot version of Sonic.

It's that rare occasion that makes it special, but now it just feels overdone if you ask me. But then again, I don't want any new characters right now.

Edited by Gaming Misfit

I just don't understand why the hell they don't use some different animals.

It worked good in the classics. Tails was Sonic's loyal sidekick and he was a cute little fox. Knuckles was Sonic's fierce ally/rival and he was a red echidna. Metal Sonic was a robot version of Sonic.

It's that rare occasion that makes it special, but now it just feels overdone if you ask me. But then again, I don't want any new characters right now.