Awoo.

Game Over

Cortez

Quite simply, Sonic games would be good again.

He needs to die or be traded off to another studio. It's obvious that Sonic Team doesn't give two flying shits about him anymore.

Sonic Unleashed was fairly good, sure, but that's it. Good. Not great, what we should expect from a...you know, Sonic title.

It's still painful to see one of my beloved childhood heroes...you know, die.

Do I sound cynical? Yes. Am I sounding like a jerk right about now? Yep. But I'm not dreaming anymore, I'm a realist, and the only possible way for Sonic to get better is for Sonic not to exist in his current state anymore.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ovarloard

• Flyboy Fox

• CreamyBagel

• Gamenerd

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sonic died off, I would be pretty upset at first. Then I'd shrug it off after a day and switch to Nintendo games and such. Sonic isn't an obsession for me, he's not the ONLY videogame character and franchise I like. =P I would still play his old games though, to bring back some old memories. I wouldn't just stop playing his games.

Do I sound cynical? Yes. Am I sounding like a jerk right about now? Yep. But I'm not dreaming anymore, I'm a realist, and the only possible way for Sonic to get better is for Sonic not to exist in his current state anymore.

Then why do you assume that giving him to another company will automatically generate a better game experience? I have a hard time thinking that any game developer that did take Sonic on (in the even this happened) would not milk Sonic one way or the other (given his cash cow capacity).

Then why do you assume that giving him to another company will automatically generate a better game experience? I have a hard time thinking that any game developer that did take Sonic on (in the even this happened) would not milk Sonic one way or the other (given his cash cow capacity).

There's nothing wrong with a bit of cash cow milking. All of the big Gaming giants get involved with it - Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and even Metroid have hopped on the milking wagon. Difference is, they at least try to uphold some sort of consistency, and high enough quality to generate fresh brand loyalty. Sonic is just being shamelessly milked, like Pacman or Crash Bandicoot, and that's just going to destroy any sales he still has. SEGA is wrecklessly whoring Sonic out in a desperate attempt for more cash, but a smarter (and more financially stable company) would make sure that this cow keeps making high quality milk so that they may keep people coming back for more rather than continuing to trick generation after generation of little kids and hopeful fans into buying mediocre software.

I say if Sega does sell Sonic to another company, I suggest Capcom. They make some pretty top notch games and have some interesting concepts and stories for their games, and the execution is pretty great...

Or that might just be the Capcom fan out of me, since they're pretty much second on my list when it comes to games.

If Sonic died out... I'd probably still follow this forum for a while, but I'd move on with my life eventually. Sonic is just a game series after all. And besides, it's not like there aren't hundreds of fangames out there in development, right?

Edited by Indigo Rush

There's nothing wrong with a bit of cash cow milking. All of the big Gaming giants get involved with it - Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and even Metroid have hopped on the milking wagon.

A Bit?

Difference is, they at least try to uphold some sort of consistency, and high enough quality to generate fresh brand loyalty.

Yes. They spend a lot of effort on one or two particular games and then milk the rest. Besides are you implying that those games wouldn't sell well if they were of poor quality?

Sonic is just being shamelessly milked, like Pacman or Crash Bandicoot, and that's just going to destroy any sales he still has.

How? He's a recognizable gaming figure. People are more likely to buy what they know and not what they don't.

SEGA is wrecklessly whoring Sonic out in a desperate attempt for more cash, but a smarter (and more financially stable company) would make sure that this cow keeps making high quality milk so that they may keep people coming back for more rather than continuing to trick generation after generation of little kids and hopeful fans into buying mediocre software.

See the thing is a lot of ''high quality'' games, take a lot of money to make. On top of that you need to advertise a lot which also takes a lot of money. If your going to go down that route then you must be absolutely certain that you are going to make profit and if you hadn't noticed there are lot of 'high quality games that are going through just that. In regards to Sonic, he already has the recognition factor and so is guaranteed significant sales, therefore why would you spend more money when you can get the same back if not more, by spending less? As far a quality goes If you want a recent example (by sega themseleves) look at MadWorld. And like I said before people are more likely to buy what they know and not what they don't know.

Although to be honest I do think some of the milking is good because it at least gives Sega money to spend on some of there other titles, that aren't Sonic.

Edit: Oh wait, I almost forgot. Having said all of that (and going back to my point on the first place) what guarantee do you have that 'another' company will generate a better gaming experience?

Edited by BlackHeroX

To be honest I can't really see it getting any worse than Sega giving Sonic Team the boot and making the games themselves for a change. Which would be nothing but an improvement in my opinion, seeing as Sega still makes some pretty good games here and there.

Ultimately I'm still content with whoever picks up the slack afterwards either way, even if it's the fans that resort to it.

SEGA knows what would make Sonic a commercial success and a revolutionary figure; they actually did it at one point. And if they were to give up on their own mascot, the emblem of their success, an outcome of their collective imagination and hard work, rather than actually try to support and improve it, then I don't know if I could respect them as a company. I know every company will do what they can to get a profit, but under no circumstances should any just dump the past away rather than make it work for them. Plus, if SEGA gave up on Sonic, there'd be even less of a chance of the series improving.

Edited by A Ham Sandwich

I'd be pretty sad to start with, but then I'd get over it and continue being the same over-obsessive Sonic fan I've always been. It wouldn't really affect me as I don't buy the new Sonic games anyways, I'd just continue with my Sonic collecting habit!

Edited by S o n i c

It really wouldn't bother me that much. Sonic is pretty much dead to me already.

If they stopped making games and killed the franchise, I wouldn't cry. just means less

shitty Sonic games.

Lets be honest. Our old buddy SEGA has RUN OUT OF IDEAS.

The shows are all dead, the merchandise has gone to crap, and the fanbase is filling up with weirdos

(not none of ya'll but you know who and/or what I'm talking about)

But you what I think would happen if the SEGA pulled the plug on Sonic???

1.the fanbase would go down for a few years

2.nobody would talk about it anymore

3.people would get on with their lives

4.years later, a new generation of fans would show up

5. there will be FANS OF CERTAIN FANS like Sonicdude3 and others

6. the fanbase will become an undergound nostalgia-ville

7. We will ALL still be here on SSMB and on youtube making tribute vids,poops,memes,

and PINGAS jokes. AND teaching them to the new fans

8.The DIC shows may very well end up on Boomerang or Cartoon Network

9. There will be MORE fans of Sonic then there ever was!

Sonic won't die, he'll just be reincarnated into a childhood hero

I think a kill-off of Sonic would help the fanbase as well as the franchise

Edited by Stuart Twentythree

Lets be honest. Our old buddy Yuji Naka has RUN OUT OF IDEAS.

It doesn't really have anything with him (and his ideas) anymore. He left, some time ago.

It doesn't really have anything with him (and his ideas) anymore. He left, some time ago.

WOOPS! I'll edit that out then.

Oh, how ironic that would be...

Think about it: game critics like Gamestop and IGN have been saying 'let him die, let him die, let him DIE' for how long now? And it seems like a lot of the gaming community, despite of not even playing the games that are 'killing' Sonic, have jumped on the bandwagon. If Sonic 'died', then it would be a big spit in the face to us Sonic fans. Forums would be flooded with anti-fans and fans alike discussing, trolling, flaming over Sonic's failure. Some would be cruel, some would be whiney, some would be flat out annoying, but either way, their would be a lot of activity. After everything cools down... well, I don't know exactly what would happen. The community would be a bit tarnished and saddened, of course, but I think in a matter of years some of Sonic's 3D games would be considered great classics (mainly because a lot of talk about him would go away, and any memory left of him would be that of nastalgic fans keeping the community alive). Fads travel in cycles, after all! :lol:

I think if that happened, I'd lay low for a while, but obviously return and keep talking about my favorite hedgehog, alive or dead!

This is pretty much why I have more faith in Sonic Team these days. It's mostly new blood.

I was sort of worried when Chip seemed to be replacing Tails in Unleashed, and Eggman's absence from Black Knight was bizarre, but I feel like things have taken a step in the right direction for the most part, even if they aren't quite perfect yet, and I'm still very influenced by nostalgia.

A couple things I'm really glad to see is that Sonic's love of chili dogs is now part of game canon, and, more importantly, a lot of the quirk that Sonic had in Western material has cropped up again in Sonic's Black Knight personality.

I'll admit I'd be upset, really upset, but that goes for any of my beloved franchises. Still, Sonic has been a part of my life since I was pretty much born so growing up with him and then seeing him go will be a real downer for me.

*Goes into defence mode*

Besides I think the only reason some people complain about the series being dead is because of the gameplay, the storylines have been vastly improving since Sonic 06 so if the gameplay was turned up a notch I think Sonic could get his groove back.

It's not as much the gameplay as it is the concepts that go into production. For example, the Werehog and the whole "Sonic having a sword" thing.

Most of the time, you see critics griping about how the Werehog isn't like normal Sonic at all, but when some actually take time to look at it as if the Werehog is its own game, they actually find that it's not too bad.

I don't think the games are outstanding but I've never had to put a Sonic game down, yet, so I'm still a happy shopper, for now.