Awoo.

advice on Silver's character

Silver*

I was talking to another user on the SEGA forums on this and about Silver's personality and how I like to portray him in my fanfiction. Sometimes, I like to add things to him to make him stand out more. There are some things that I added for the gripe being that he didn't attacks like everyone else. It seems like he's the only special attacker and everyone else can use their fists. I find that pretty unfair so I corrected the problem. I gave him ninjitsu skills to balance it out. And there was other things as well;

What I did was that I added some more fun to him since people are into Barney + MLP these days. I gave him a Colors-esque sense of humor which Shadow is the only one who laughs. In my own fanverse, Silver is a little impatient, reckless and he can be full of himself and he brags about his accomplishments but he has a heart of gold. When Shadow make fun of Blaze, Silver will defend her. When his friends argue, Silver steps in as the moral compass. When his friends are in trouble, Silver is the one to to through the ends of the earth to save him, her or them.

But I also gave him flaws as well. He brags because it makes him feel good about himself. He can be reckless and can do stupid things. He's got a lot of energy and is kinda of an adrenaline junkie. And he is insecure about himself, which here he talks to Shadow about it.

I kept his old traits but added new ones as well. as for relationsips, Silver ain't the dating type. He wants to live out his life and feels that a relationship might hinder his ability to be Silver. Doesn't like to be tied down and will yet at Blaze to stop badgering him or tell Sonic to stop clinging to him.

As said all of this because well I had this thing for sometime that if Silver were like this; he'd be good to everyone else. What do you think?

I decided to give your party fic a chance, and read it. You're writing Silver too much like Sonic. I also think that Blaze was too much like Amy, and Shadow was too much like Knuckles. I now understand that you write within your "fanverse" (or Alternative Universe (AU for short)), but regardless your characterization seems shifted or distorted, to the point where you may as well be using Sonic, Amy, and Knuckles.

I'm not going to tell you how to write Silver, as I have not played any game where he's a major character, but I will tell you that I am pretty sure that you're doing it wrong, in some way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I decided to give your party fic a chance, and read it. You're writing Silver too much like Sonic. I also think that Blaze was too much like Amy, and Shadow was too much like Knuckles. I now understand that you write within your "fanverse" (or Alternative Universe (AU for short)), but regardless your characterization seems shifted or distorted, to the point where you may as well be using Sonic, Amy, and Knuckles.

I'm not going to tell you how to write Silver, as I have not played any game where he's a major character, but I will tell you that I am pretty sure that you're doing it wrong, in some way.

He's basically a less serious version of Shadow imo.

I'm going to agree with awesomest on this one Haruhi, going out of character rarely ever goes well.

There are some things that I added for the gripe being that he didn't attacks like everyone else. It seems like he's the only special attacker and everyone else can use their fists. I find that pretty unfair so I corrected the problem. I gave him ninjitsu skills to balance it out.
Like I said in the other topic you made, this is just terrible. Ninja skills have absolutely nothing to do with Silver, first off, and second, there's no need for him to be able to fight physically as well as through his psychic powers. Compare to Sonic; he doesn't have any kind of crazy magic shit, just speed and spinning, but he gets along fine without it. Characters that can do everything are boring; Silver's lack of physical fighting skill can be a storytelling strength, as it gives him something to overcome.

Silver's personality is harder to talk about, mostly because I still don't have that good a grasp of what they were going for. But I feel you've taken him way out of character, and even if you're trying to "fix" him, you need to respect his original personality. Work within the general guildelines of his canon personality, instead of just making him super cool at everything with a few token flaws.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was talking to another user on the SEGA forums on this and about Silver's personality and how I like to portray him in my fanfiction. Sometimes, I like to add things to him to make him stand out more. There are some things that I added for the gripe being that he didn't attacks like everyone else. It seems like he's the only special attacker and everyone else can use their fists. I find that pretty unfair so I corrected the problem. I gave him ninjitsu skills to balance it out. And there was other things as well;

There's is also the fact that Espio is already holding the "ninja skills" card, and giving them to Silver would seem redundant.

One of Silver's biggest flaws in the game canon is that he's incredibly naive and never gives anyone a chance to explain what's going on. Some mysterious guy with incredibly unusual powers shows up and tells him to kill someone in the past, so he does it. And in both Rivals games it takes a lot before he actually tells anyone (even Espio) that he's looking for Nega and instead chooses to fight the people he should be helping. They're where his flaws lie- he's quite immature but like to think otherwise.

Lack of physical power has never been touched on in the games, but you could probably write that into your fic too instead of over-powering him with ninja skills (which don't make sense for Silver and that Espio already has). It's a simple thing that would make sense since he's so psychokinesis-orientated.

I'd write more but I've not read your fic yet so don't want to completely miss what you're on about.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to agree with awesomest on this one Haruhi, going out of character rarely ever goes well.

If you read the infamous HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you'll see changing Harry Potter's character from what he is in the book to what he is in that, sometimes change is better =P

Is that an abbreviation? If so, I admire his aliteracy skills. It took me hours to come up with perpetually pirouetting pimpin' purple pop-culture chair from Bel Air.

Edited by Rawpowered
  • Thumbs Up 3

I asked because alot of people tell me Silver's too much like Sonic and stuff; is that really the case?

Yes. He's pretty similar to Sonic, down to him using his jokes. No offense or anything.

Are you still having problems with your writing Haruhi-Chan?

I once read a quote from a famous comedy writer who said that he "writes for himself." Like if your writing comedy, you try to make yourself laugh. So in my opinion, as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

But if you're still worried, we have learned a couple of new things from Generations. Like he can Teleport. How cool is that!?

Also, Silver has worked with Espio once before. So if you expand on that official relationship, it stands to reason that Espio could teach Silver some ninjutsu skills. I also find it believable that Silver may have mellowed after meeting Sonic.

Character development is a useful tool for altering an existing character.

Silver isn't a confident character, he can certainly try and act like it but that masks the fact that he's actually rather insecure about his decisions.

At least, that's what I've gotten as a vibe over his gaming span.

Edited by VEDJ-F

True; also I think ninjitsu fits Silver since it teaches discipline and confidence.

Tons of things teach discipline and confidence. You should find a way for him to learn them that actually makes sense for him, instead of randomly becoming a ninja. Edited by Diogenes

Psychic ninjas. We're really fucked now.

Also, I'd say that Shadow was more or less being written as Amy.

Edited by Jayhawker30

I wanna add that Silver is from the future and hardly ever met anyone so his social skills should be on the poor side. He might not know what is rude and what not. I thought it might help you a bit. :P

Why would you think that Shadow was written like Amy?

Well....

Ignoring Blaze, Shadow went to sit down on the soft green grass and looked up at the sky. While looking at the clouds, he felt that somewhere among the clouds, he could see some that looked like Silver. Silver… there was something about that hedgehog that Shadow often liked. He wasn’t sure if it was his voice, his personality or his smile, but there was something about him that appealed to Shadow more than meets the eye.

Shadow got up from the floor to brush himself off. Then in excitement, he turned around hoping that it was Silver that was here.

These are a couple of glaring examples.

I'd contribute more, but everything I could've said about near enough all of the characters being written as other characters have been said already.

Edited by Serperior

Problem is that Amy is more like crazy for the person whom she seeks. Shadow in the passage, yes loves Silver but he's also kinda shy around him and a big difference here also is that Shadow respects that Silver isn't seeking a relationship with anyone. So he knows that Silver is his best friend and strictly his best friend. I cannot say the same for Amy with Sonic.

Bumping this to say that I think that maybe I should show Silver's insecurities by having Shadow point it out and acting on whenever Silver decides to chase a enemy alone. And that would show more of Silver and Shadow's friendship because Shadow is basically looking out for Silver.

It's shows the best of both characters and the bond they have as friends (like Sonic and Tails)