Awoo.

Toonami Is Back Bitches [05.26.12]

King Frosty

Steve Blum must be pulling my leg or I'm looking at the wrong twitter account because he also said he hopes it's hear to say and wants us to let them know about it.

Tom didn't even say goodbye. How cruel!

We miss you Tom...

Oh my god, that was incredible. This Saturday started off absolutely shitty, the temporary revival of Toonami managed to change all that into an absolutely amazing night. I was having flashbacks left and right to my childhood. It was amazing.

Seeing Tom again was like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in years (which is actually pretty much the case)! Tom, you crazy son of a bitch, we missed ya, pal.

I have no doubt in my mind the ratings for tonight are going to end up amazing. Hopefully, that plus any positive feedback we see will convince Cartoon Network to revive the block. Finally putting something worth watching on it in 3 years.

I don't think I'm able to go to sleep after that. THE HYPE, MAN. THE HYPE AND NOSTALGIA. SO AMAZING.

And once again, Tom, Sara, Toonami, we missed ya. Let's hope this night promises a bright future for ya.

Later, and stay golden.

Bang.

• Thumbs Up 4

Awesome end to a great day, thank you Adult Swim....I can now sleep in peace.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom didn't even say goodbye. How cruel!

We miss you Tom...

He told us "Later" like he always did when we were little. Remember? You 'member...

• Thumbs Up 3

3nEdG.png

And they will probably all die.

But all in all, this was an awesome April Fools prank, filled to the brim with buttloads of nostalgia. Seeing Tom review Mass Effect was utterly tearjerking. Okaynotreally, but it was still pretty cool. Other than DBZ, though, I'd say Astro Boy was the best part, as I read the mangas ad infintum as a kid. :V

So, goodbye Captain/Commander/Whatever Tom, with a goodbye like you gave, you're bound to return, right?

Right?

whogivesafuckimgoingtosleep

Edited by StockingDrawer
  • Thumbs Up 2

That was awesome. I just hope, hope, hope, and hope they do this again. It'd be great. Please CN?

This is too weird....I can't asume that toonami section on the feedback page is only there because of a one night thing....either they have a hidden plan or they WANT us to yell at them to bring it back...SO LETS DO THAT DAMMIT! For the record, Wikipedia, I did NOT say it's here to stay. ...But I sure hope so. Let 'em know you want it, people.

Late. End Transmission. XO

T.O.M.

Cmon guys! We can bring toonami back!

You know if CN wanted to they could switch between Toonami and the usual anime block. Like next Saturday AS can do its usual thing, and the Saturday after that they could do a Toonami block like they did yesterday.

That way EVERYONE is happy~. That could work right? RIght??? ;A;

I'd rather they just change Adult Swim's anime block to Toonami, or reinstate some afternoon school time as a Toonami block. I don't think finding space would be an issue.

The real issue, I think, would be the programming. Toonami's shows were a solid mix of good classic action and comedic anime. Each show complimented the other, gave viewers a sampling of different genres and shows they might not have even heard about otherwise, and ultimately helped establish the block's adult and epic thematics. This was helped in part by what was popular back then in anime: gritty, action-y stuff.

Everything we watched last night was of course really good, but at the same time, how do you- or would you- sustain a permanent block off of the same anime created in the 80s and 90s, the same anime everyone's seen before already? I'm not entirely sure I would; it almost goes against what Toonami was about on some level. But then, which shows would you choose now? I honestly don't feel good imagining Toonami being host to shows in the vain of Bleach and whatever loli magical big-eyed girl panty-shot bullshit is popular now.

I think that would be the hardest thing: rounding up another solid block of anime to introduce today's young'uns to stuff that's good, but a little less mainstream than Naruto. At the same time, this may just be me showing how little new anime I care to watch anymore. xP

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 5

Well, consider that half of what was popular on Toonami actually came out years before they saw light in the US (i.e.: Dragon Ball came out in the mid 80's, but we didn't get it until mid 90's, Gundam Wing came out in 1995, but we didn't see it until 2000, etc.), and yet kids still ate that shit up. If they'd be concerned with finding quality anime to air, they shouldn't limit themselves only to what's popular in the Japanland right now.

Personally, I wouldn't mind finally seeing an English dub of Gundam X, or maybe they could air some goddamn GaoGaiGar. I'd be in mecha heaven~

Edited by gunthər

I'd rather they just change Adult Swim's anime block to Toonami, or reinstate some afternoon school time as a Toonami block. I don't think finding space would be an issue.

The real issue, I think, would be the programming. Toonami's shows were a solid mix of good classic action and comedic anime. Each show complimented the other, gave viewers a sampling of different genres and shows they might not have even heard about otherwise, and ultimately helped establish the block's adult and epic thematics. This was helped in part by what was popular back then in anime: gritty, action-y stuff.

Everything we watched last night was of course really good, but at the same time, how do you- or would you- sustain a permanent block off of the same anime created in the 80s and 90s, the same anime everyone's seen before already? I'm not entirely sure I would; it almost goes against what Toonami was about on some level. But then, which shows would you choose now? I honestly don't feel good imagining Toonami being host to shows in the vain of Bleach and whatever loli magical big-eyed girl panty-shot bullshit is popular now.

I think that would be the hardest thing: rounding up another solid block of anime to introduce today's young'uns to stuff that's good, but a little less mainstream than Naruto. At the same time, this may just be me showing how little new anime I care to watch anymore. xP

Gurren Lagan, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, G Gundam, and Outlaw Star. Your welcome.

Most Modern day anime aren't exactly the same as the 90's, but they do have similar feelings at the very least,, so Toonami should probably pick up those.

• Thumbs Up 3

I believe at the very end of that he stuttered and said Adult Swim

No, he said: "Only Toonami, on Adult Swim."

I personally wouldn't air DBZ, G Gundam, or Outlaw Star forever though (Bleach is also up in the air on account of it already airs on AS in the first place). Again, everyone has seen these already. In the wide, wide, wide world that is anime, surely there has to be a lot more than this that Toonami could service up well.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I personally wouldn't air DBZ, G Gundam, or Outlaw Star forever though (Bleach is also up in the air on account of it already airs on AS in the first place). Again, everyone has seen these already. In the wide, wide, wide world that is anime, surely there has to be a lot more than this that Toonami could service up well.

Outlaw Star or Gundam I could understand, but Dragon Ball Z is what made Toonami what it is, it kind of needs it. It just wouldn't be the same without it, reruns be damned.

Slept right through it, not knowing it was on.

I don't have many genuine regrets in life, but I'm not kidding when I say I'm kicking myself for not glancing through channels last night. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus that was amazing last night, funny how what few consider a few promos and a narrator, can change an average saturday night into an amazing spectacular one to others.

The fact that I actually watched DBZ, Tenchi, Gundam, and Astro Boy on my T.V, for the first time in years, with a witty robot to comment on it, is still unbelievable.

The nostalgia came, we hugged, watched tv, and then we slept.

Later, Toonami

@StockingDrawer

WHY U NO INCLUDE ME ON LIST? I was up, I just turned off my computer cause I probably was gonna be too tired to do so afterwards.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't feel good imagining Toonami being host to shows in the vain of Bleach and whatever loli magical big-eyed girl panty-shot bullshit is popular now.

Eden of the East, Steins;Gate, Shiki, Gurren Lagann, Fairy Tail, Full Metal Panic, Canaan, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Madoka, Ga-Rei Zero. I think we could find a few shows that aren't mainstream.

Just saying, you also have backlog of nostalgia fuel to run off of, except Sailor Moon, nobody has licensed that yet... and I'm betting it will be a bitch trying to get.

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)

Eden of the East, Steins;Gate, Shiki, Gurren Lagann, Fairy Tail, Full Metal Panic, Canaan, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Madoka, Ga-Rei Zero. I think we could find a few shows that aren't mainstream.

Just saying, you also have backlog of nostalgia fuel to run off of, except Sailor Moon, nobody has licensed that yet... and I'm betting it will be a bitch trying to get.

Fairy Tail airs on FUNi's channel already.

Fairy Tail airs on FUNi's channel already.

Doesn't matter, I'm quite sure they'd get more exposure on AS or CN than on their own network which is kind of sad.

I dunno about the bolded. I watched that show all the way through twice, and I still have no idea about all of the social and philosophical intricacies of the plot, or if they even matter at all beyond making the characters sound deep. That feels like more of a show suited to AS or FUNi, or hell, even SyFy; I think they still show anime from time to time.

But a point has been made here that I agree with; a nostalgic element or anchor show does need to be had for Toonami, and frankly the only one I feel deserves that honor is DBZ (pre-Buu of course. Fuck the shit after).