Awoo.

Toonami Is Back Bitches [05.26.12]

King Frosty

"Tonight I dine on monkey soup!"
Tumblr_lva1ayv7ek1qcfgllo1_500.gif

I believe this pretty much proves that Nicktoons is no longer interested in the franchise seeing as they had airing rights to both Kai, GT and the DBZ movies and Toonami wouldn't have been able to air them otherwise but all they air now is GT and who the fuck wants GT honestly? that means Kai Buu Saga has a chance! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Isn't Nicktoons still airing GT or did they drop that too? The only channel I pay attention to these days is Adult Swim/Toonami anyway.

Also guys, what are your thoughts on Cooler's Revenge? Last time I saw a DBZ movie was like 2005 or something and that was the Tree of Might or... I barely remember. It had Goku doing Spirit Bomb and some kind of big tree was involved. Lol I really don't remember anything. XD

Isn't Nicktoons still airing GT or did they drop that too? The only channel I pay attention to these days is Adult Swim/Toonami anyway.

Also guys, what are your thoughts on Cooler's Revenge? Last time I saw a DBZ movie was like 2005 or something and that was the Tree of Might or... I barely remember. It had Goku doing Spirit Bomb and some kind of big tree was involved. Lol I really don't remember anything. XD

Yeah Nicktoons still airs GT. Came on today, actually.

Cooler's Revenge was pretty cool. One of the better ones in my opinion.

I don't really have a preference with DBZ movies. Aside from "Wrath of the Dragon" and "Battle of the Gods", they're all just hour long fight scenes. I guess Cooler had the better set piece for fights, so it ranks pretty high.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Toonami panel is going on, announcements are being made.

Toonami will once again be the place to rock the dragon, Dragon Ball Z Kai is coming to Toonami!

The comic they announced is still coming and is going to tie into Intruder 2.

Both of these announcements are awesome, I wonder if they're going to air the Kai version of the Buu Saga, I sure do hope so.

Ah well... at least the pace won't be agonizing. But whiners are still gonna beg for the Bruce Faulconer music and the original show. I hope it doesn't air early though. 

Saw the DBZ thing coming after Cooler's Revenge. It was only a matter of time.

Now people can stop yelling at Toonami about DBZ biggrin.png

hopefully...

EDIT:

Bebop's coming back too.

Saw the DBZ thing coming after Cooler's Revenge. It was only a matter of time.

Now people can stop yelling at Toonami about DBZ biggrin.png

hopefully...

As it's Kai, most of the American fanbase will still complain over the lack of Faulconer Productions' score (I don't care for it, personally, and I grew up with it). Glad to see Kai will be hitting Toonami though, and even more excited it'll likely be uncut. I'm guessing they're starting from the beginning, so it'll still be a while before we get to the Buu stuff, but I can wait. The DVDs will probably drop before that anyway.

Sometimes Faulconer's team made good tracks, the problem is, is that the music always had to play so it was always a mish mash of tracks and that was more annoying. A lot of the tracks are better on their own. There were never any silent moments; and it was just noise, noise, noise. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sometimes Faulconer's team made good tracks, the problem is, is that the music always had to play so it was always a mish mash of tracks and that was more annoying. A lot of the tracks are better on their own. There were never any silent moments; and it was just noise, noise, noise.

You can probably blame that on Barry Watson, since I think either Mike Smith or Scott Morgan said they wanted silent parts but were told they couldn't do that (I think goku262002 mentioned that in the DBZ thread). I agree, there are some standout tracks (Vegeta's Super Saiyan theme, Future Trunks's theme, and the SSJ3 theme are the most memorable for me) in the American score, but I don't particularly care for it. The fact that it was wall-to-wall didn't do it any favors, though.

Even if most of his music was plagiarized, Yamamoto's soundtrack for Kai was pretty good. It was at least used in a way to enhance a scene instead of competing with the sound and voices for your attention, and the stuff he did for the Budokai games was great. I can't abide by his practices, but the man had a good handle on making some decent arrangements even if he could hardly compose worth a damn. I love Kikuchi's score, personally, even if it was implemented in a really half-assed way when Yamamoto's plagiarism came to light. It was repetitive at times, in the original cut of the series, but it worked with the mood, especially the Buu-era stuff (which sadly won't get heard this time around, but I'm excited to hear some new music on this property for once).

The early Kikuichi stuff made just for the TV show never won me over. It was usually the movie tracks that I liked a lot. 

The early Kikuichi stuff made just for the TV show never won me over. It was usually the movie tracks that I liked a lot.

Truth be told, the American score had me up until I heard "Solid State Scouter" watching the Bardock special in Japanese for the first time (that was probably about 10 years or so ago... cripes I'm old). After that, I gave more of the JPN score a listen, and found I just enjoyed it, and how it wasn't constantly blaring in my face, more. The Faulconer Productions' soundtrack is still fun to listen to for nostalgia's sake, but it's not my preferred soundtrack at this point. It's more of curiosity of the series' history in this territory than something I genuinely care about.

Wow, so they're actually airing the Coola movie with the Kikuchi music.

Awesome. biggrin.png

I was pleasantly surprised, since I expected the same old Nu-metal track that aired not that long ago on Nicktoons. I guess FUNimation is only licensing out their "remastered" tracks now.

Did they add or alter a line in the dub? When Karin was talking to Yajirobe as Gohan was leaving, there was a line in there that didn't seem to fit with the rest of the tracks (I don't feel like digging out my old Coola DVD to check). I know they did this with the Bardock special (they added a bunch of lines to that dub for no reason after having Kyle Hebert re-record all the narration and re-recording Nappa with Phil Parsons), but I wasn't sure if they did this with any of the other "remastered" movies.

Then again, it could be with all the quiet and subtlety I can just hear everything better now.

All in all, it was great seeing my favorite DBZ movie on TV with the cast I like and a more fitting score. Much as I wish FUNi would redub the movies properly and bring them up to standard with their other dubs (since the TV series is impractical to redo at this point), I'm happy to settle for something like this.

Wow, so they're actually airing the Coola movie with the Kikuchi music.

Awesome. biggrin.png

I'm sorry Mikey, but this is the worst use of his music ever. The tracks are so mellow I felt like falling asleep.

I didn't really mind it, but the metal as fuck music is what made the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got a teaser for Intruder 2 from the MomoCon panel:

http://youtu.be/WWUZZNpE62w

Digging the look for the new stuff, including the Intruder themselves, poor T.O.M though, I really doubt he wants to go through this again.

Oh, by the way, have that giant spaceship thing at the end been in anything before?

It looks kinda familiar but I could be mistaking for something else.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, by the way, have that giant spaceship thing at the end been in anything before?

It looks kinda familiar but I could be mistaking for something else.

Almost looks like the part of the engine that T.O.M. 2 had to blow off in the original Intruder.

Sweet, Intruder II looks promising. smile.png

I'm sorry Mikey, but this is the worst use of his music ever. The tracks are so mellow I felt like falling asleep.

As soft as some of Kikuchi's score may sound, it fits Dragon Ball more than that awful music FUNi originally used for this. I'm sorry, but I think it sounded like a 13 year old terribly placed some of his favorite Slipknot and Linkin Park MP3s over the movie in Windows Movie Maker. I'd even take the Faulconer score over it because the metal seems like that much of a joke. :/

Did they add or alter a line in the dub? When Karin was talking to Yajirobe as Gohan was leaving, there was a line in there that didn't seem to fit with the rest of the tracks (I don't feel like digging out my old Coola DVD to check). I know they did this with the Bardock special (they added a bunch of lines to that dub for no reason after having Kyle Hebert re-record all the narration and re-recording Nappa with Phil Parsons), but I wasn't sure if they did this with any of the other "remastered" movies.

Then again, it could be with all the quiet and subtlety I can just hear everything better now.

It's possible that they did; I know Christopher Sabat was more than readily available to re-record lines for the orange brick release and other "remastered" releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't seen Black Lagoon since I was in high school, and I'd never considered how hilariously distracting parts of the dub would be after watching FiM for a couple of years.

And yes, I say that even though that very thing is the main reason I'm watching it again now that it is on Toonami.

Sweet, Intruder II looks promising. smile.png

As soft as some of Kikuchi's score may sound, it fits Dragon Ball more than that awful music FUNi originally used for this. I'm sorry, but I think it sounded like a 13 year old terribly placed some of his favorite Slipknot and Linkin Park MP3s over the movie in Windows Movie Maker. I'd even take the Faulconer score over it because the metal seems like that much of a joke. :/

Yes, that's true. I don't like how the American scores were mixed. All the same, I can't get into this mellowness. I am here to watch an action movie with a strong soundtrack behind it, and this does not deliver.

I like Yamamoto's plagiarism more. If you ask me; his scores had both presence and style to it. kikuichi's recording for this movie sounds like he did it in his garage.

Yes, that's true. I don't like how the American scores were mixed. All the same, I can't get into this mellowness. I am here to watch an action movie with a strong soundtrack behind it, and this does not deliver.

I like Yamamoto's plagiarism more. If you ask me; his scores had both presence and style to it. kikuichi's recording for this movie sounds like he did it in his garage.

It could be because of the way it's mixed. FUNi's voice track has been updated from stereo to 5.1 while the music remains in mono. The two qualities could clash and FUNi usually keeps the music's volume a bit lower for their 5.1 voice track. I don't know why they do that. I guess that's the problem with older movies like this, but you can't make the movie something it's not while still treating it with respect.

I've read comments by that never watched this movie (or DBZ in general) before, and they found the version that aired on Toonami the other night watchable. Nothing negative was said about the music. I'm glad people who are being exposed to Dragon Ball for the first time are hearing the Japanese OST because replacement music is an old practice FUNimation should never do today, except retain the replacement music in alternate tracks on their DVD/BD releases for the sake of Toonami fans and their nostalgia. But the sad thing is that some fans still want FUNimation to hire Bruce Faulconer and his team again to do Battle of Gods. Just... why? Why Dragon Ball? If FUNimation made replacement scores for One Piece or Attack on Titan, then their reputation would probably plummet. I really hope it's not because some people have low attention spans and need constant loud music that never takes a break to keep their attention.

Yamamoto's music was excellent! It saddens me that the final three Kai episodes of the initial run with his score never saw the light of day. Kikuchi's music in Kai is in excellent quality (the only problem is the poor placement and limited number of tracks), and this is because Toei worked with what was released on CD in stereo. And, unfortunately, a lot of the original recordings have been discarded, so only a portion of Kikuchi's music exists in stereo.

• Thumbs Up 2

People simply have find memories of their childhood, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn't wrong with having fond childhood memories, but you shouldn't let nostalgia get in the way of the quality of a product, especially now that it's 2014. Like I said, if FUNi used replacement music for a different show then people would probably lose a ton of respect for them.