Awoo.

Toonami Is Back Bitches [05.26.12]

King Frosty

It could be because of the way it's mixed. FUNi's voice track has been updated from stereo to 5.1 while the music remains in mono. The two qualities could clash and FUNi usually keeps the music's volume a bit lower for their 5.1 voice track. I don't know why they do that. I guess that's the problem with older movies like this, but you can't make the movie something it's not while still treating it with respect.

I've read comments by that never watched this movie (or DBZ in general) before, and they found the version that aired on Toonami the other night watchable. Nothing negative was said about the music. I'm glad people who are being exposed to Dragon Ball for the first time are hearing the Japanese OST because replacement music is an old practice FUNimation should never do today, except retain the replacement music in alternate tracks on their DVD/BD releases for the sake of Toonami fans and their nostalgia. But the sad thing is that some fans still want FUNimation to hire Bruce Faulconer and his team again to do Battle of Gods. Just... why? Why Dragon Ball? If FUNimation made replacement scores for One Piece or Attack on Titan, then their reputation would probably plummet. I really hope it's not because some people have low attention spans and need constant loud music that never takes a break to keep their attention.

Yamamoto's music was excellent! It saddens me that the final three Kai episodes of the initial run with his score never saw the light of day. Kikuchi's music in Kai is in excellent quality (the only problem is the poor placement and limited number of tracks), and this is because Toei worked with what was released on CD in stereo. And, unfortunately, a lot of the original recordings have been discarded, so only a portion of Kikuchi's music exists in stereo.

I honestly like the music for the series. It just sort of worked there, because it's a cheaper TV series. And I really liked it for Movie 2. I thought this was not a good use of Kikuichi's score. Also, I won't knock Faulconer's score; he had good tracks that were splintered in there, even if they were not used well. Though FUNI should never make replacement scores again.

Otherwise, I did like the movie for it's very intelligent villain and some good fights. It could've been longer, and once again the music could've been louder, but the 5.1 track and the mono music don't mix well. I could probably enjoy it better if I watched the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, that's fair enough! Despite the mono source, the Japanese sound quality on the new BD sets is apparently much louder and more clear than what FUNi has worked with before. Maybe their newer releases will sound better with the English track, too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Kai being on Toonami. Sucks that it'll take a while to see the broadcast of the Buu arc, though. I'm also hoping some movies, such as One Piece Z and Battle of Gods, will get premeries on Toonami before their BD/DVD releases.

Kai's looking to replace Bleach in the fall, so it's gonna be a mainrunner. Ah well, at least Kai is faster paced than the original. And Dragonball Z is an inoffensive show that focuses only on fights, so it'll be a good time waster.

BodGcvUIMAARtFt.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Awesome! Sailor Moon Crystal (or even the original) and Kill la Kill would make excellent additions to the lineup.

And is it bad that I'm glad that they aren't looking into Fairy Tail?

Awesome! Sailor Moon Crystal (or even the original) and Kill la Kill would make excellent additions to the lineup.

And is it bad that I'm glad that they aren't looking into Fairy Tail?

Not really. Fairy Tail isn't the most amazing of series anyways.

Anyways, Kill la Kill is looking to be a problem because of it's nudity, Jason said on his Twitter. I don't blame him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad people who are being exposed to Dragon Ball for the first time are hearing the Japanese OST because replacement music is an old practice FUNimation should never do today, except retain the replacement music in alternate tracks on their DVD/BD releases for the sake of Toonami fans and their nostalgia. But the sad thing is that some fans still want FUNimation to hire Bruce Faulconer and his team again to do Battle of Gods. Just... why? Why Dragon Ball?

There isn't wrong with having fond childhood memories, but you shouldn't let nostalgia get in the way of the quality of a product, especially now that it's 2014.

Oh noes, how dare fond feelings for happy memories of the past interfere with this attempt to exploit people's fond feelings for a happy memory of their past! This is impossible?

You couldn't be more pretentious with your arguments if you were actively trying, by the way.

I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm just trying to say that I find it hypocritical that some people want accurate dubs of anime, but then they can't stand Dragon Ball if it doesn't suffer from '90s editing practices. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing, and I don't think FUNimation should sacrifice accuracy for their future products because of it, especially with how far they've come as a company since they started. If they used 4Kids-isms in One Piece to please people that grew up watching the 4Kids dub then most of their consumers would probably hate their guts, but Dragon Ball is encouraged by some people to have these edits.

FUNimation isn't the same company they used to be, and they now make it a point to accurately translate DB shows/movies and retain its original music, but some people say it "sucks" and "isn't hardcore" enough. I think more exposure to an accurate dub will eventually lessen the divide of the fanbase, and fans that enjoy the Toonami version can be encouraged to support and enjoy future releases. I hope this makes sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly can't see Kill La Kill ever happening at all. There's just way to much nudity. The censorship they'd have to do is insane. Sailor Moon and Death Note are much more possible, and I actually hope they get Death Note because I always wanted to watch that. 

Also I heard DBZKai was gonna replace Bleach, can anyone confirm this? If so, do we know if it's taking it's timeslot? Because I wouldn't want DBZ to push what I actually want to watch back as honestly I`m not a big DBZ fan. 

Sailor Moon coming back would be a great way to promote the new dub that's coming soon. I hope it happens!

Sailor Moon coming back would be a great way to promote the new dub that's coming soon. I hope it happens!

Here's a thought: What if the new dub actually premiered on Toonami? I wonder if that could happen. 

Sailor Moon Crystal could take some time because it's going to be a bi-weekly show, though it would have been nice if Viz had the opportunity to dub it simultaneously with the original airing like Space Dandy. Toonami could probably air several seasons of the original show by the time the dub for the new one is ready.

Also I heard DBZKai was gonna replace Bleach, can anyone confirm this? If so, do we know if it's taking it's timeslot? Because I wouldn't want DBZ to push what I actually want to watch back as honestly I`m not a big DBZ fan. 

That's most likely the case. Both AoT and Bleach are going to be ending in the fall, so those are two time slots open for the taking. Since DBZ was always a big deal for Toonami and it'll be their first time airing Kai, I believe it'll replace one of those two shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOgkiOtl5mQ

Was waiting on this. Toonami with the sick Dandy S2 promo.

Also, here's last week's "Better Cartoon Show" promo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZuOiCmU_CY

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooooo I'm guessing this is the pivotal turning point for Blue Exorcist right, when it de-rails into filler-ville for the rest of the series?

Sooooo I'm guessing this is the pivotal turning point for Blue Exorcist right, when it de-rails into filler-ville for the rest of the series?

No... that was two weeks ago.

Well technically the last 2 episodes still had some canon material taken from the manga (such as the friends reacting to Rin), but for the most part we've entered anime-only territory.

Well technically the last 2 episodes still had some canon material taken from the manga (such as the friends reacting to Rin), but for the most part we've entered anime-only territory.

Alright then, guess I'll tune out because I heard it only gets worse from here. shame because it had a good set up too...

Man that Black lagoon Vampire Twins 3 parter was just really dark overall, think thats pretty much the darkest plot point the series has gone to so far.

Tonight is the premiere of Space Dandy season 2 baby! I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed the first season as it went on, and the season 2 preview looks promising. 

It's Dandy time baby! It's time for season 2.

Edit: that was bloody hilarious and scary on so many levels. When the boobies were gone I was crying. Then came emo dandy, and I was just dying. Great start to the season.

Alright then, guess I'll tune out because I heard it only gets worse from here. shame because it had a good set up too...

Man that Black lagoon Vampire Twins 3 parter was just really dark overall, think thats pretty much the darkest plot point the series has gone to so far.

Idunno honestly, cake episode aside, I've been finding the filler more interesting than the last actual canon material. I'm just hoping it holds up since we don't have too many episodes left.

They seriously started adapting the manga way too early, animes need to stop doing this, Gecko Endings are dumb and pretty much screw over future adaptions (I have no idea if we'll ever see an animated adaption of the remainder of Soul Eater's manga).

Edit: that was bloody hilarious and scary on so many levels. When the boobies were gone I was crying. Then came emo dandy, and I was just dying. Great start to the season.

Umm...spoilers? x__X

Umm...spoilers? x__X

The episode just aired mate, isn't this where we discuss these?

I guess, many threads still keep plot details in spoilers for a few hours, though, so I was caught off guard. Ah well.

Also, I'm havin a really hard time finding the episode, unlike with season 1 o:

Edit: Now that I have seen the Episode, I'm sorry I reacted to the Spoilers like I did, Visionary. Thought that would be a great plotpoint, but it wasn't. Sorry again.^^'

That said, the Episode was just pure fun. So many funny jokes and references - definately a great start into the new season.

• 8 months later...

Well since we basically did a SSMB timeskip I suppose I'll start us off with some good news for the first post after the wipe. The ratings for last weekend are in and they're looking good! 

12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai 1,628,000 viewers

12:30a Kill La Kill 1,319,000 viewers

1:00a Naruto: Shippuden 1,100,000 viewers

1:30a Inuyasha: The Final Act 986,000 viewers

3:00a Gurren Lagann 937,000 viewers

3:30a One Piece 888,000 viewers

4:00a Deadman Wonderland 882,000 viewers

DBZ broke a record last weekend (just like the weekend before)! I wonder if we'll hit 2 mill at some point...

Part of me loves that Inuyasha as a show actually gets shit done. Characters have long running arcs completed (mostly by being killed), monster of the week episodes no longer span 3 weeks of episodes, legitimate progress is made in the Naraku story, etc. It even took the gloves off in regards to violence. It's like Inuyasha Kai or something.

The other part of me can't get over how completely god damned insane nearly every episode is, since unlike DBZ Kai which ruthlessly (too much so) trimmed anything and everything that was filler-esque in order to fill something that would take 10 episodes in the original but should have taken three into those three tightly edited episodes; Final Act takes what would have taken 10 episodes in the original show and should have taken three episodes, then crams it all into one and a half episodes. Monsters of the week are killed in ten minutes. Entire character growth arcs are completed in a single episode. Subplots are raised and dispatched so quickly that they might be missed entirely. And also unlike Kai, all of the cutesy filler stuff so widely parodied in the original show is still there. Just crammed in with the important stuff. If anything, Final Cut is even worse than the original show even though it answers all of its criticisms. Truly a fascinating train wreck.

Still straight up cried when Kikyo bought it. Mostly when I recognized the

of
as Inuyasha comforted her as she passed. That kind of nostalgia punch in a dick always works on me, even when I see it coming. DBZ was good at it too.