Awoo.

Toonami Is Back Bitches [05.26.12]

King Frosty

wish platimum games would produce a video game out of this anime, its got such potential.

once you get over the 24/7 fanservice you have a solid anime. I'm likin it allot!

• Thumbs Up 2

So, what do you newbies think of Kill La Kill so far? 

I'll just repeat what I've said in the status updates a few minutes ago: 

Okay, I'll admit it: Kill la Kill is pretty good, as action-type things go, but boy, the things it shows just makes me reflexively look over my shoulders to see if anyone else is nearby.

So, what do you newbies think of Kill La Kill so far? 

I'm rather pleasantly surprised about it. Admittedly, some of the fanservice in the early episodes made me a little uncomfortable, when it didn't have me rolling my eyes (the running gag in episode 4 with Ryuko's pajamas getting yanked on and Mako's family perving on her comes to mind), but it's certainly not a hurdle to my overall enjoyment. It's fun. Great action, interesting premise, killer soundtrack (it is Sawano, so no surprise there), awesome style--it gets easier to ignore the fanservice, and not treat it like a big deal (going so far as to specifically hammer that point home loud and clear when Ryuko and Satsuki battle the first time).

Hell, I'll echo Goku's thoughts and say I'd probably play the hell out of a Platinum developed game based on this series.

Kill la Kill may not be a new obsession for me the way Attack on Titan has been since it aired, but I'm certainly digging it enough to watch it regularly. I hope it continues to pull in those views/ratings for Toonami.

I'll just repeat what I've said in the status updates a few minutes ago: 

Okay, I'll admit it: Kill la Kill is pretty good, as action-type things go, but boy, the things it shows just makes me reflexively look over my shoulders to see if anyone else is nearby.

Shut the door, homie.

March 17. You know what that means?

Happy 18th Birthday Toonami!

Found this pretty cool insight on Twitter about some fun factoids from Toonami.

CAHeAd1UQAAeaSX.png

CAHERssUgAAJ-B3.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I like to call that my free half hour :V

Thats my thinking for naruto's filler arc. I really don't care if I haven't seen these in english its filler, who gives a damn.

Well soon SAO2 is starting so then you'll all have an easy skip half hour. 

Well soon SAO2 is starting so then you'll all have an easy skip half hour. 

Shocking but I think I'm gonna watch SAO2, I did like SAO season 1 and didn't mind too much of the incest fun happy hour season 2 also I've heard some good things about SAO2, supposed to go more back to SAO Season 1 roots and what S1 left off on instead of S2.

I can write Season 2 off as filler if SAO2 is good.

• Thumbs Up 1

And here I was thinking I was the only one that didn't completely hate SAO on here, lol. I'm unironically looking forward to SAO II too.

Shocking but I think I'm gonna watch SAO2, I did like SAO season 1 and didn't mind too much of the incest fun happy hour season 2 also I've heard some good things about SAO2, supposed to go more back to SAO Season 1 roots and what S1 left off on instead of S2.

And here I was thinking I was the only one that didn't completely hate SAO on here, lol. I'm unironically looking forward to SAO II too.

More power to you guys I guess. Me, SAO is one of my most despised entertainment franchises so the only reason I'll be following it is out of morbid curiosity lol. 

A cool addition to the block would be macross or gundam.

I'd be down for either Gundam Unicorn or Gundam 00, both would be cool. 

More power to you guys I guess. Me, SAO is one of my most despised entertainment franchises so the only reason I'll be following it is out of morbid curiosity lol. 

Honestly the most problematic part about Season 2 (aside from the little filler thing in the middle which didn't matter at all) was GGO's padding/stalling issues. The pacing got really horrible halfway through the arc (to the point of like, snoozefest boring), but picks up near the end (similar to Aincrad in that respect, but without as much harem/romance bullcrap). Otherwise, Season 2 fixed a lot of the things wrong with S1 (most notably, eliminating most of the harem bullshit. Keyword, "most"), and Mother's Rosario (the arc at the end of S2) was legit pretty damn good, if not a little rushed. As someone who can't stand S1, S2 got a solid 5.5-6/10 from me, which may not seem like much but it's a massive improvement on that end. So I'll at least be watching it for Best Girl Sinon and Mother's Rosario.

Also, for those of you who haven't seen this week's Toonami Pre-Flight, there's gonna be a promo airing for SAOII this weekend I believe. The promo is sick as hell.

I'd be down for either Gundam Unicorn or Gundam 00, both would be cool. 

Gundam: The Origin is getting a dub soon, would also not mind seeing that. Heard LOTS of good things about that one.

Honestly the most problematic part about Season 2 (aside from the little filler thing in the middle which didn't matter at all) was GGO's padding/stalling issues. The pacing got really horrible halfway through the arc (to the point of like, snoozefest boring), but picks up near the end (similar to Aincrad in that respect, but without as much harem/romance bullcrap). Otherwise, Season 2 fixed a lot of the things wrong with S1 (most notably, eliminating most of the harem bullshit. Keyword, "most"), and Mother's Rosario (the arc at the end of S2) was legit pretty damn good, if not a little rushed. As someone who can't stand S1, S2 got a solid 5.5-6/10 from me, which may not seem like much but it's a massive improvement on that end. So I'll at least be watching it for Best Girl Sinon and Mother's Rosario.

Also, for those of you who haven't seen this week's Toonami Pre-Flight, there's gonna be a promo airing for SAOII this weekend I believe. The promo is sick as hell.

Gundam: The Origin is getting a dub soon, would also not mind seeing that. Heard LOTS of good things about that one.

Gundam The Origon kind of irks me TBH. I mean, you're adapting the manga based on the first Gundam series, and animating stuff that's about Char's backstory and JUST that, even when the original Mobile Suit Gundam plotline is in dire need of a remake (animation wise)? Please.  

I really don't mean to sound snarky or mean here, but every time I see people giving a running commentary on twitter about whatever's airing on Toonami, it honestly baffles me at how this block is still going. 

Why, exactly? Mostly because a lot of what they seem to be showing is ooooooold. Like, where they're at in One Piece now is a good 7-8 years behind the newest episodes. Surely anyone who cared about the series beyond being an incredibly casual watcher would just watch the series elsewhere to get up to speed?

Similarly I see people talking about Gurren-Lagann- again, series is old. And it's not even like this is the first time these shows have been made available with an English dub- IIRC Gurren-Lagann has been on DVD in English for years, and I'm pretty certain the US One Piece DVD releases are ahead of the TV airings? Watching these episodes on TV (and, if I remember correctly, don't they air at a stupidly unreasonable time, like 1-3AM?) seems like the most impractical and unnecessary way to watch any of this stuff. :/ You have to stay up at stupidly unreasonable hours to watch eight-year-old episodes of shows that have been readily and legally available via other means for years.

I really don't mean to sound snarky or mean here, but every time I see people giving a running commentary on twitter about whatever's airing on Toonami, it honestly baffles me at how this block is still going. 

Why, exactly? Mostly because a lot of what they seem to be showing is ooooooold. Like, where they're at in One Piece now is a good 7-8 years behind the newest episodes. Surely anyone who cared about the series beyond being an incredibly casual watcher would just watch the series elsewhere to get up to speed?

Similarly I see people talking about Gurren-Lagann- again, series is old. And it's not even like this is the first time these shows have been made available with an English dub- IIRC Gurren-Lagann has been on DVD in English for years, and I'm pretty certain the US One Piece DVD releases are ahead of the TV airings? Watching these episodes on TV (and, if I remember correctly, don't they air at a stupidly unreasonable time, like 1-3AM?) seems like the most impractical and unnecessary way to watch any of this stuff. :/ You have to stay up at stupidly unreasonable hours to watch eight-year-old episodes of shows that have been readily and legally available via other means for years.

It's the presentation and atmosphere of the block. The fact that they have slick bumpers, a cool host and game reviews and such makes it worth more them the sum of it's parts. Also there is a casual viewerbase at least somewhat there, because there were some people asking what the golden hair meant during the airing of the Broly movie. 

Toonami isn't meant about being current or up to date, its to introduce people to animes that have otherwise have not seen them or never seen anime before. plus its for people who have seen the series's in question already a chance to rewatch them again.

Mark, you seem like the type that likes to stay up to date or current, so Toonami isn't for you.

Personally I watch stuff like one piece and the like because I like the eng dub and the general episodes of the show, even though the jpn dub is a long ways off its still nice to watch everything in my own language, not to mention the fact that anime dvd's are pretty expensive these days so if I have a cheaper (heck free) option of watching them I will gladly take that over the alternative and staying up late in the night is hardly a price to pay for it.

Toonami isn't meant about being current or up to date, its to introduce people to animes that have otherwise have not seen them or never seen anime before. plus its for people who have seen the series's in question already a chance to rewatch them again.

Mark, you seem like the type that likes to stay up to date or current, so Toonami isn't for you.

Surely the only people dedicated enough to watch these shows at the time Toonami airs them would be the people who are already fans of the series/ anime in general? D:

Surely the only people dedicated enough to watch these shows at the time Toonami airs them would be the people who are already fans of the series/ anime in general? D:

I don't think so. Like others have said, Toonami is a fine platform for more casual fans, and their roster is pretty good example of the sorts of things people just getting into the medium will likely check out. Granted, I think the current Toonami is slightly more geared toward fans of the medium and Toonami faithful from back in the day, but I think it's still good for getting word out about series that some have never heard or seen before. I'm sure the ratings for a show like Attack on Titan, when it was new, make a pretty good case for that. And that's a show that seems to have a lot of buzz even outside of anime fandom, similar to a show like Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Not everyone wants to watch subtitles or seek out the latest raws, and Toonami picking up the newest, most popular shows being dubbed makes it easier. In addition, a show like Gurren Laggan being on DVD for years doesn't guarantee everyone saw it. Toonami was basically a second chance after the SyFy broadcast (and Bandai going under and all their licenses reverting back to the rights holders), and let's not forget Aniplex charges an arm and a leg for their home releases, so Toonami's got people covered as a legal alternative to check it out too.

Plus, like Chaos Warp says, it's just a really cool package that encourages people to sit down and check it out.