Awoo.

Shadow The Hedgehog (Game) Discussion

JezMM

Does it make sense for the whole world to bend to Shadow's emotional tone just because he's the main character? Sonic's world has never been that horrifyingly ugly. It's like the universe went "Oh, Shadow's the star. Let's bend to the most unappealing combination of gritty colors imaginable."

You forgot Circus Park. That was pretty colourful. And so was Digital Circuit. Ironically these two are my favourite stages in the whole game too.

I will have to agree though that the textures looked AWFUL, especially in the city stages. @_@

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Solid SOAP

• Gabz Girl

• JezMM

All I can say is that the game was okay. I know before I said that Shadow really didn't need guns and vehicles, but it was a gimmick for him. A gimmick that was toned down a lot afterwards. Honestly, Shadow's gameplay is just trying to be different from Sonic's own gameplay. I know SA2 had Shadow as a clone, but Dark was a clone of the characters in Hero. Reviewers even complained about it. I think they are still experimenting with Shadow's gameplay like in Sonic 06 for example. I liked his controls even though the vehicles returned and that pitiful excuse of what was supposed to be a Chaos Blast came back as well. Anyway back on topic.

The controls were slippery but I got used to it and learned how to handle them. Shadow goes so fast that it is hard to control him. The melee attacks are really terrible to use, but the good thing is that the homing attack is there. The vehicles are hard to control but that is why I do not use them unless I need to access a certain areas. The guns and other weapons are okay while others were complete crap. I mean they are optional unless you are required to use them, but it is faster to defeat enemies with weapons.

The graphics are the same as Sonic Heroes , but with only a few great CGI cutscenes. I mean when I first played the game and saw that intro, I thought the animation and graphics were amazing. When I finally get to play the first level I'm like, "What the crap! Is this the same game?" It felt like I was seeing Sonic Heroes all over again, and I get to see characters that were so freaking shiny like someone dipped them all in oil and wrapped them in plastic wrap.

The music was okay, but there are some that stand out more than others. I will say that I really enjoyed the beautiful piano instrumental of I Am All of Me.

When I completed the Dark ending and heard

I was creeped out. I'm surprised that piece of music got into that game. I can only imagine those parents who were in the other room and heard that music coming out of their child's game. :lol:

The story was okay but it gets really repetitive after awhile. Some endings confuse you others make some sense, and some gets a, "What the heck is that hedgehog doing!" I cringed when I first completed Neutral. Why? Because I saw Shadow give the karate chop of death to Eggman and hearing him screaming after the screen goes black. Shadow's, "This is Who I Am" speech gets annoying after the third time you hear it. The ending where you defeat Black Doom with Vector with you was pretty sad. You really feel sorry for the guy kinda like SA2. I mean he says he's an experiment who went deadly wrong and walks away accepting it. Dark was well not that interesting, but I wish you could only fight against Sonic as a final boss instead of him and the GUN Commander.

Overall its average. Nothing less and nothing more. My only problem is with those who bash people for liking or hating this game. Black Doom was a generic villain and I'm not surprised he showed up in the series. Every series has something or someone who is generic. To me it was just a break from playing as Sonic but as someone else. Period.

I cringed when I first completed Neutral. Why? Because I saw Shadow give the karate chop of death to Eggman and hearing him screaming after the screen goes black.

Glad I wasn't the only one who hated that ending. It just ruined the game for me, and like I said, even four years later I know I can't even try to look at the rest of the game objectively because of it(Though I do distinctly remember being unimpressed even before I saw one of those endings, so I imagine I'd have still disliked it, albeit less so).

There are two things I enjoyed in this game. The gameplay itself was actually the most enjoyable part to me. I actually enjoyed using guns, (as well as alternatives, namely that Egg Vacuum. I also think it actually did a better job of handling a branching story in terms of gameplay than most others. Why? It's not the same mission under a different story. For example, in GTAIV, most branching missions are either the same deal or they return to the status quo right after. It's not saying much though, considering the game was quite faulty and Sturgeon's Law applies to everything else, give or take 5%.

Firstly, the story. I don't care if SEGA were to deny it, I sincerely hope to God that this game's plot was constructed to be a parody. There are so many cliches and stock elements, they might as well have just made a video game version of TV Tropes. Plus, it really had a hard time appealing to anyone because whenever they try to be badass, it's held back by the franchise it's a part of. I have nothing against a series reaching out to new horizons, but there's got to be a line somewhere and when someone tries to fuse this with this, something is clearly amiss.

As for the music, it could have used much more variety, but the Ark levels and remixes fed some SA2 nostalgia for me.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad GAME, just a terrible, terrible idea made into something... halfway decent.

Edited by A Ham Sandwich

Well, I can honestly say Shadow The Hedgehog is the worst Sonic game I've ever played in my life, and yes, I even hate it more than Sonic Labyrinth.

When it was first announced I was furious, I knew for a while Shadow was taking Sonic's place, and when I read about Shadow was going to have his own game I knew what I was dreading to happen was about to come true, thank god it was only a one off.

Now onto what I dislike about it. For a start it stars Shadow, my least favourite character so that's a major downside to start with. It's dark, depressing, it doesn't look or feel anything like a Sonic game, the gameplay is majorly boring, the voices are annoying, the levels all look the same and aren't in the slightest bit memorable, the music is a row, pretty much EVERYTHING about Shadow The Hedgehog is awful IMO. The only things I like about it if it even counts is Sonic being in the first level, and the character designs.

I love how the Japanese advertised/promoted it through a music video. It doesn't look that serious at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_b1rg53V0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XiGe05YUeQ (lol at 1:25, fell off the chair at 1:55)

I thought they were joking about the guns and the cars and the motorcycle. I mean, the whole world thought he was emo so they pretty much put it all inside for the lulz and that'show I take it. I liked some levels (more than Heroes in gameplay) and music, the story I'm not fond of it at all, some parts are nice, others are WTF moments. it's worse than Heroes (kind of), butnot the worst of the franchise. That's 06 and nothing, ever, will take it's deserved place as the shame of Sonic.

For those who were annoyed at Sonic swearing, he swore in Sonic X. It's a japanese thing, they don't care about swearing. It shouldn't have made the dub and sub though. They censor so many things, I didn't get it why didn't they censore that.

If it was any other game, I'd swear Shadow was a deliberate parody of overblown angsty "darker and edgier" franchise shifts. It has the generic villain, the whiney music, the putrid colors, and clumsy use of minor swear words to sound cool.

Even the antagonist- He's a giant evil overlord from space named "BLACK DOOM." Can you get more stock than that?

It's a game that takes itself incredibly seriously, yet comes off looking like an exaggerated spoof. I suppose that's the only kind thing I can say about Shadow- It was unintentionally very funny at times.

I took it as a parody. I'm surprised not many people think this as well. They gave a hedgehog part of a kid's franchise a gun. They made him drive stuff when he's perfectly good on foot (or skates). They gave him a motorcycle, one of the bad boy stereotype. All was left to do was Amy and Maria battling in the mud and Sonic crying about the unfairness of being a nice guy.

Edited by redmenace

How did you feel when Shadow was announced? How did you feel when you played it? Do you still play it now? Why not try it out again and see if it's as good/bad as you remember?

When I saw commercials for it, I was psyched. It had to be the absolute coolest game I've ever seen. I was a huge fan of Shadow and seeing him on motorcycles and dragons got me beyond excited.

When I got around to buying it and playing it (about a year after it came out...), I was hesitant because everyone was talking about how god-awful it was, but I was willing to give it a try. I found the missions to be fairly at my level: not too hard, not too easy. I loved how you could pick what missions to do, but did Vector or Black Doom or Amy or whoever have to follow me around? I don't have short-term memory; you don't have to constantly remind me what my mission is!

The controls were a little hard, it took 2 minutes just to get Shadow to face the right direction. But I did kind of like it, it made getting shot harder. But it also made shooting harder. I can also go on forever about how much I hated flying those magnificent dragons. Shooting and controlling that thing were NOT compatible.

Despite the annoyances, I do kind of wish I hadn't sold it. For one, my sister keeps pestering me because I sold it, and I'm getting sick of giving up on every game. I didn't give up on Sonic Rush, I shouldn't have given up here. But I did. And I want to change that.

Next time I go to GameStop, if I remember, I'm getting ShTH again.

Edited by Roo

Well, this is another one of those games I bought before the discovery of the internet, so I had no idea what to expect.

The gameplay was pretty okay. The running could be a little bit uncontrollable at times, and the homing attack a little inaccurate, but I easily looked over that. The gun gameplay I think worked pretty well. Of course it too was inaccurate at times, but being able to wipe out an area easily was quite enjoyable. Vehicles I think should have been left out. The only useful ones seemed to be the hover disk and GUN jumping whatcha-macallit. Otherwise, the only use the cars had were to get over that acid easily in Central City. Finally, my opinion on Chaos Blast and Control goes both ways. They were both wonderful to use when you were just trying to get to the end in the fastest time possible, but truly messed you up on enemy killing missions. (Blast could kill any enemy you didn't want to, and Control sped you right past them.)

Graphics, I think, could have been done much better. As said before, they literally just took them off Sonic Heroes. Some of the textures looked messed up too.

The story was quite meh to me. It did clear up a few things, but otherwise could get kind of strange at times, such as Shadow killing Eggman. (Then somehow he's back alive in the Last Story.) And yes, it could get cheesy sometimes, such as Black Doom. Really? You named the leader after what they're doing? Nice, Sonic Team, nice.

Otherwise, I didn't think the game was horrible, but it wasn't exactly great either. It was good enough for me to A rank every mission. (Which happens to be the only Sonic game I have done so.)

And since no one has mentioned it yet...

"FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!!!"

Shadow the Hedgehog's graphics were some of the laziest graphical designs I have ever witnessed in gaming, bar shit like Big Rigs and Superman 64. First of all, the character models were all directly ripped from Sonic Heroes, which is odd because they look ridiculous in comparison to the rest of the game's graphics, them being shiny and everything else being dark and gloomy. Secondly, I noticed that there were actually some graphics taken from other Sonic games too, there were at least two buildings directly ripped from SA2's Radical Highway, no joke. Thirdly, the levels that were sort of "revisions" of levels from SA2 actually looked WORSE than what they looked like in SA2. What a joke.

When I 1s picked up the game from a friend I was like this is terrible, "I can't even get through a normal mission mode. " The controls are all over the place and if you're going into this game thinking it's a SONIC game, where you'll speed right through it, you're wrong.

This game shouldn't have been mixed with Sonic because Sonic the Hedgehog actually made this game worse. The kiddyness of Amy, Tails, and Sonic clash with the dark nature of the story. I have to admit, I like Charmy, and though he shouldn't have been put with Shadow, I could tolerate one level with him. Knuckles is great only because he help fight badguys , but he's got a dumb VA and he shouldn't even have been in this story. Vector wouldn't been great too, if he shut his big yap. Eggman doesn't even do anything to improve the story other then to be something else to shoot at, but then you can get points taken away for doing that, so it'd been best just to leave the main villain as Black Doom. The only characters that should've been in this game were Rouge, Omega, Espio, GUN, Black Doom, and the Robotnic family.

The ARC missions actually made me realize how much I hated the Space missions in SA2. I know they were trying to do a throw back to those levels but they're just so open ended, it was terrible to navigate around. Maria's missions were fun though. They were the best setting for Shadows game; City and Interior Space Colony. Most other levels were just piss poor ugly, and graphics were sad.

I'd say this is a better game then I originally thought and I enjoy playing it more when you start from level one and work your way to the end. Overall though, I'm glad reviewers bashed it, I really wouldn't want them to do something like this again, unless they were really gonna fix up the bad parts. New VAs, better controls, better graphics, less to do with Sonic and Friends, and more diverse missions.

Edited by Annie-Mae

To be honest, I'd really like to see another Sonic game with such a setting (Apocalyptic event going on as you play), as it was what I liked the most of the game. I also can't see why it's so strongly hated, I mean it's certainly nowhere near being a great game, but it's also far from an horrid, unplayable mess. At the end of the day, the only thing that should matter is if you have fun playing it, and I did.

It's not unplayable, but it really isn't that much fun to begin with. Why settle with a mediocre game when you could buy something better?

It's not unplayable, but it really isn't that much fun to begin with. Why settle with a mediocre game when you could buy something better?
Very true. Enjoyability is only relative to what else is being offered.

At the time, though, I think it was actually one of the GameCube's better games, so I don't see why it got a low score on that system in particular. I guess it was a potentially far better game held back only by the franchise it's a part of.

I love how the Japanese advertised/promoted it through a music video. It doesn't look that serious at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_b1rg53V0Q

Why didn't I buy that game instead of the one I actually got ¬_¬

Thankfully, I haven't given up on the game completely. I still play it occasionally if I'm in the mood but it really isn't anything other than a lazy filler. The plot was paper thin and the gameplay was rushed, meaning I could barely control Shadow half the time.

The A.I. was also ridiculously low making hero/dark missions frustrating. I was sick to death of choosing a dark mission and getting attacked by the dark enemies AND the hero enemies and then being told not to attack "our soldiers" when I retaliated.

The game was fun though and there were some cheerful elements like the humour of the Chaotix. The music was okay but sometimes I would find the BGM grating and Shadow's music genre seems to have shifted from whatever it was in SA2 to rock, which makes him seem even more angsty.

I can't imagine Shadow ever being as happy and upbeat as Sonic but he was taken to a whole new level of cliche in this game, at least in Sonic Heroes he was kind of optimistic, joking about with Rouge and seeming eager to help Sonic defeat Metal Overlord. Here he's just the generic angsty anime type character that pops up everywhere and it apparently doesn't work for him.

Shadow The Hedgehog is on my top 5 game favs. it would have to be my 3rd fav

i like it becuz the guns and music!