Awoo.

Does Eggman enjoy being defeated?

Cortez

So I was just thinking about something; Does Eggman actually like being defeated and get a kick out of making robots that *obviously* won't defeat Sonic?

Look at it this way, something as planet conquering as say the Death Egg obviously stands a chance of actually defeating Sonic and still he managed to destroy it but when it comes to random boss fights, from a storyline point of view, it seems kinda redundant to use a wrecking ball or something with a giant hammer over and over again.

Don't even get me started on the Egg Dealer either. Fair enough Eggman did just kinda find himself roped into the events of Shadow The Hedgehog so probably didn't have anything planned for the situation but SERIOUSLY? A vehicle with the ability to power up the person it's in combat with!? Eggman obviously knew it was Shadow he would be facing so the why the hell include such a function? Whoops.

Obviously I understand random boss fights exist for gameplays sake but as far as the storyline is concerned it just seems more like Eggman enjoys the fight itself using a random creation as opposed to actually intending on beating Sonic, or just likes the build-up to finally getting to use a gigantic mega robot xD.

I mean, it's not like he's actually using those giant hammers for a reason, he was clearly waiting for Sonic lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Egg Dealer? It's called gambling...win or lose, the loser is always...Dr.Ivo "Eggman/Baldy Mc.Nosehair" Robotnik as the boss is too easy...

• Thumbs Up 1

A few years back a fellow fanwanker came up with the lovely idea that the Shadow Fever was originally designed to power up Shadow Androids and he... programmed it to power up anything that looks like Shadow? Best explaination we can manage.

I think Eggman is just chronically overconfident. He won't destroy Sonic with a laser guided missile because that's not as fun as whacking him with a giant hammer. He doesn't just want to defeat Sonic, he wants to HUMILIATE him. Also generally speaking he has a signature style to keep up.

Essentially I see Eggman as hating Sonic so much that he always gives his rival a fighting chance... just so he can say "I even gave you a fighting chance! That's how much you suck!" when he finally wins.

• Thumbs Up 9

The first boss of Sonic CD is another good example, that thing attacks by... walking into Sonic and occasionally jumping whilst bouncing him backwards.

I think even Tails would laugh if he managed to defeat Sonic once and for all like THAT xD

Possible explanation: He expected Metal Sonic to finish Sonic off. The final boss in CD was his last resort. A really lame last resort, but still. :V

If Eggman liked being defeated by Sonic, I seriously doubt he would have gone back in time, attempting to undo all the times Sonic defeated him.

Does Eggman enjoy being defeated? No.

Does Eggman enjoy the thrill of the fight, and the challenge of fighting Sonic at his absolute best? Yes.

Eggman most definitely wants to win, but I do believe he's gotten to enjoy his little rivalry with Sonic, and respects him as a worthy opponent.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dude, its Eggman, if he's going to win he has to do it in the most over the top, grandest way possible I mean beating your arch enemy would be boring if it was something as simple as shooting him right? No, if Eggman is going to win, he's going to do it his way, and it the least subtle way possible because that's just who he is.

• Thumbs Up 5

Some of the boss mechs he makes could excist for the sole reason of battling Sonic for fun and playing around confident that with his master plan in place, Sonic can't do anything and Eggman already won. Given their wacky designs, he might even consider them novelties.

Eggman's plans that don't involve monsters of the week are usually airtight and instead of finding some huge overlooked detail, Sonic just blows through hundreds of Badnicks and makes stuff explode.

mmmm Yes, Sonic. Hit that robot! Hit it good!~♥

No, I don't think he enjoys losing. He definitely enjoys fighting with Sonic, though, especially when things are going his way. It's pretty apparent he wants victory more than anything when he says things like "stubborn little pincushion! Just give up and die already!"

• Thumbs Up 2

I think he'd rather keep the potential of him dying minimal so that he can show at least someone the awesome shit he builds.

• Thumbs Up 1

I perpetuate myself under this fiction that Ol' Eggy has won. He does rule the world, and he's just bored and enjoys playing the villain.

Seriously. With his arnsel, he should've easily have destroyed the entire planet without Sonic knowing by now let alone Sonic himself.

Edited by DarkOverord

I think he admires Sonic's determination. He constantly comes up with bigger and better schemes to test Sonic to see what new ways the blue hedgehog will defeat him each time. I honestly think he would be bored out of his tree if he were to actually kill Sonic. Sure, Sonic's friends would still pester him but it's Sonic who truly matters.

I think the only time I remember Eggman making an HONEST attempt on Sonic's life is during the Egg Dragoon boss in Sonic Unleashed.

No way Dr.Eggman absolutely hates being defeated by Sonic and as someone stated before it is slowly driving him into insanity case in point in the sonic generations cutscene with classic and modern eggman where classic eggman states "will I really get that crazy"

Edited by AceZX02

I think the only time I remember Eggman making an HONEST attempt on Sonic's life is during the Egg Dragoon boss in Sonic Unleashed.

So all of the times he launches him out of space locks don't count?

Not even close.

Isn't every boss fight an honest attempt to kill Sonic? Those wrecking balls and giant mallets may be wacky, but they're not harmless by any stretch of the imagination.

Sonic 2 GG makes me think that Eggman was saving Sonic's life because he wanted to kill Sonic with one of his machines. He wouldn't let his famous nemesis go down in a freak accident. Sonic's demise had to be the biggest triumph of Eggman's genius. To think Eggman won because Sonic merely tripped and fell into a pit of lava would be... unsatisfying to him.

Eggman wants Sonic dead, but only on his terms. That's how I see it.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sonic's demise had to be the biggest triumph of Eggman's genius.

Behold Eggman's Greatest Invention: Reduced horizontal resolution!

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

Does Eggman like being defeated? That sounds sexuaI

I wouldn't say so. He's expressed delight at the concept of winning, and was offended by the thought that Sonic ALWAYS wins (in Colors)

Considering the fact that he always gets upset whenever he loses, I really doubt that he enjoys it. It's just what people have said in this thread already.

Eggman wants to end Sonic, but not just end him, end him with a bang. A GIANT bang that shows off his genius and how extreme he can actually be. However, he usually tends to get ahead of himself in some way and his plan to destroy Sonic usually ends up backfiring against him like it has for god knows how many games.