Awoo.

US vs Japanese Soundtrack

Indigo Rush

Toot Toot Sonic Warrior is a silly name for a track!

Indeed it is. Good thing the name of the song is "You Can Do Anything."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Sean

• redmenace

• Ferr

Indeed it is. Good thing the name of the song is "You Can Do Anything."

'Specially since they never actually say that (they say supersonic warrior, right...?)

'Specially since they never actually say that (they say supersonic warrior, right...?)

Nope, it IS "toot toot" XD

I like the Japanese version better than the US one simply because the US version doesn't have such good music, it's not so catchy or memorable, I can barely even remember what 3 of them sound like. The only song I prefer is the US version of Sonic CD's invincibility, I love that song, I could sit and listen to it for hours. XD Sonic Boom is another song I quite like, although IMO it's nowhere near as good as You Can Do Anything.

Yes they do.

I always thought Sonic Boom was more generic than You Can do Anything but the latter is completely insane at parts.

This part is genius however:

Toot, toot, Sonic Warrior

Always takes a chance

Toot, toot, Sonic Warrior

Never says he can't

Nothing can survive, the will to stay alive

cause if you try, you can do anything!

Why people say the JP opening lyrics don't fit Sonic is beyond me. It fits as true even by today's personality!

The song doesn't fit the animation is what I meant.

Sonic Boom is completely in sync with the animation, both in beat and in sound, and it's sexy as hell.

Edited by Jake

Both soundtracks give the game a whole different feel, in my opinion.

While the American soundtrack with it's rather darker and more serious tunes (Tidal Tempest Bad Future, Collision Chaos for example) gives the game a more "epic" and eerie feel, the Japanese one seems to be more in sync with the other Sonic games.

The lightheartedness and bright tracks have a different effect.

Another thing about the US version is, that it is also very enjoyable as a stand-alone CD; it can do perfectly without the game, too.

In the end though, I still think the US version fits it all best. But that might just be because I grew up with it.

The song doesn't fit the animation is what I meant.

Sonic Boom is completely in sync with the animation, both in beat and in sound, and it's sexy as hell.

How come the song doesn't fit the animation? First we have the wind sound when Sonic steps in, then Sonic swings across the place with the music, the swindle of we go again is given by sonic swinging a bit and the two river rainbows appear exacly in time, "don't be late" fits with sonic and the tree loop and end up at the same time, it happens again with the hole loop, again with the tree hole, him jumping, again on time. It happens like this to the end. The lyrics pretty much fit as well. I think that you guys never heard it in the first place. It's obvious you haven't paid close attention if all you can remember is the toot toot part.

Quite frankly, Sonic Boom's chorus starts a bit too late if we're being nitpicky. But yeah, Sonic Boom is pretty good for the opening as well, although it does sound generic as anything.

It doesn't really fit the animation. When I see Sonic running and performing impossible stunts like that in glorious Toei animation, I don't imagine some guy making weird-ass rap with nonsensical lyrics, and I certainly don't envision lyrics such as "TEN TEN WE GOIN' AGAIN" when Sonic does a loop-de-loop around the trees, etc.

Besides, I thought You Can Do Anything was more lame than cool. Sonic Boom was 100% cool.

I think that you guys never heard it in the first place. It's obvious you haven't paid close attention if all you can remember is the toot toot part.

I think you're just pulling straws at what I know and don't know.

I've watched the Sonic Jam version of the opening many, many times, which as you may know has "You Can Do Anything". I simply don't like the music going with the animation.

Edited by Jake

I'd have to go with the japaneese soundtrack. Its just more upbeat and yet, it still has alot of relaxing tracks. Just look at mettalic madness good future, the american one is just the same sound effects over and over again and the Japaneese version has a good tune and realy shows a good future.

Besides, I thought You Can Do Anything was more lame than cool. Sonic Boom was 100% cool.

Maybe, but that's what gave it a sort of over-the-top camp charm.

I guess it's kind of like Sonic and Eggman. Sonic is deliberately cool and hip, and people find him cool for that. Eggman is kind of awkward and funny, and... people find him cool for that too.

I can see the same principle applying to the song. You Can Do Anything may be a weird song, but that's what makes it endearing in a sense.

The actual song is kinda fine (lovely chorus), but I don't think it belongs in the animation at all. Also it helps that when I first listened to the song (in Sonic Screensaver), I thought it was pretty neat, until I finally saw the Japanese version of the opening in Sonic Jam, and decided that Sonic Boom was the better opening theme.

I like both soundtracks they each have their own charms to them. I like the first level with a US tune more to be honest... But generally I could play the game with either playing in the background it doesn't bother me too much. I don't understand why there is so much hatred and favouritism for one or the other. But then I guess it is like that with so many different things.

I happen to like the soundtracks of both games, but I prefer to the U.S. track, mainly because that's the one I'm used to, since I grew up listening to that one. From what I've read at other places, the U.S. soundtrack is generally disliked due to the fact that it apparently sounds as if they slapped a random rock and roll track into the game. Yes, I won't even deny the fact that it sounds like a rock and roll track, but at least the songs are actually GOOD, very memorable, and suit their respective levels very well. If that truly is what they did, then it's definitely one of the best rock and roll tracks I've ever heard.

The music in Sonic CD Jp/eu version is definately my favourite videogame soundtrack of all time. It's just so masterful. Well, most of the time.

The Good Futures are absolutely wonderful. And the Bad Futures expertly meld sassy with sinister. I greatly admire how one distinct musical motif is carried through all time periods of a zone, which allows one to hear menacing (Bad Future), mysterious (Past), Elegant (Good Future) and utterly neutral (Present) of a series of notes. It's just very interesting.

Of note is Metallic Madness' Good future. In the words of one Youtube member who commented on this music upload on said website, it's like the song is saying "Don't be shy, you did well" which I can't help but totally agree with because I got this interpretation as well and it has a beautiful and truimphant tone to it. Which is so appropriate for Metallic Madness because it's the final zone and therefore going by how most attentive gamers would have got all the time stones by this point, the Good Future is assured and Metallic Madness as the penultimate zone has music that reflects this in it's Good Future.

Quartz Quadrant Good Future is so suitable because of the occasional sounds of what sounds very much like smashing, twinkling quartz/crystal/jewel. Just listen to when the twinkling starts at approximately 0:42 in and tell me that isn't utterly masterful when it comes to portraying a very well run mine full of sparkling crystals. At the beginning of that song, the background sound effect always made me visualise Flicky birds/wildlife frolicking happily in the zone, for it sounds like happily chirping birds.

Palmtree Panic's present and Good Future are probably the definition of joyful in Sonic music with the cheering. In a way, the sublime brilliance and hope portrayed by the Good Future songs and the 'innocent' kind of impression given by the Past musics make you condemn Eggman for ruining these stunning zones and preventing these wonderful futures from ever coming to fruition. Another masterful stroke in the excellence that is Sonic CD's japanese/european soundtrack.

What disappointed me about Sonic CD's tracks is that they were too short in length and their fading-out then replaying again whilst playing a level kinda upsets the feeling. It would have been the cherry on the cake if Sonic CD's songs looped endlessly. It's no biggie but it slightly detracts from the experience.

As I said about the Past zone music. All of them feel so mysterious and innocent, as if the zone is unsure of it's future. To me, Tidal Tempest Past epitomized a looming kind of mystery from 0:17 in and then disorientation amidst the mystery from 0:49.

I doubt that another videogame soundtrack (And I listen to A LOT of videogame soundtracks) would ever match my immense liking of Sonic CD's japanese/european soundtrack.

After playing the Gems Collection version of Sonic CD and listening to the music that is the US soundtrack again, I have to admit that it's growing on me. I used to really dislike it.

The US version of Metallic Madness Good Future shows penultimate-ness in it's own distinct way compared to the JP soundtrack. I initially felt that it sounded horrible and clinical but after looking for symbolism in it's tones, it's safe to say that it expertly portrays that whilst you are truimphant, it isn't over yet and there's one last line of business to attent to. It feels victorious in a subdued way.

My favourite track on the US soundtrack is Stardust Speedway Good Future. It suits Stardust Speedway's Good future just as much as the Japanese song and yet it's so vastly different. JP Stardust Speedway GF feels dreamy and clearly speaks of "The day is saved" whilst the US song feels very upbeat and suitably so.

I don't however like Tidal Tempest's music in all time periods except Past (Which is already from the JP soundtrack anyway). It sounds soooo......suggestive @_@ And i'll always think that the boss theme in the US version was composed with Satam's Robotnik in mind because it sounds so mechanical and sinister as opposed to the jolly laughing of Eggman in the JP boss music.

I think the Japanese soundtrack is way more consistent, but the music isn't nearly as catchy as in Sonic 1, 2 or 3.

Well I did buy a Mega CD and Sonic CD just to play the original with the original Japanese soundtrack back over two and a half years ago when I was going through some phase about getting the original retro Sonic games. ^^;;

I haven't played Sonic CD in the longest time though, but I will always personally prerfer the Japanese soundtrack for the most part. The US soundtrack... is okay. But there are a fair few tracks that I prefer over the Japanese version, just can't really think of what exactly at the mo. Generally though the US version doesn't have as many memorable tracks to me so if I was to remember some of the music I'd have an easier time remembering the music from the JP version.

But if I had to play through it then I'd play through the Mega CD version, not only for the soundtrack but the Mega CD version also has little subtle differences which I prefer over the PC version (such as the extra visible quartz pieces that changed colour in Quartz Quadrant).

...I feel like I should play through Sonic CD again sometime soon though! 8D

Edited by Moonlight Silence

I think both have their good songs and bad songs. Generally I'm more accustomed to the US soundtrack though, but that's because I played it on Sonic Gems Collection which had the US soundtrack only. =[ Which means I never played the "European" version on MegaCD or PC, which kept the original Japanese soundtrack. And it also means I do prefer Sonic Boom over You Can Do Anything, but I do find both songs equally catchy and memorable.

So hey, I'll just say it's 50-50 for me. :3

I find the Japanese soundtrack to be horribly annoying. The American soundtrack just sounds so smooth. There are maybe one or two songs in the American soundtrack I dislike, but overall I love it.

I find the Japanese soundtrack to be horribly annoying. The American soundtrack just sounds so smooth. There are maybe one or two songs in the American soundtrack I dislike, but overall I love it.

You obviously havn't heard quartz quadrant good future from the japaneese soundtrack.

I never heard the Japanese soundtrack, I've only heard the US soundtrack and I find it highly underrated.

I hate the American soundtrack because it's so generic to me. It lacks the bounce of the Japanese, the peppy flavor that makes the songs so catchy. A prime example is Metallic Madness, which is so slow and... not even melodic, really, while the Japanese version is fast and fits the intense mood of the stage.

That, and it seems more like Spyro music than Sonic muse, IMHO. :/ The ONLY US song I like is Sonic Boom.

I hate that Toot Toot song, but I love Sonic Boom. I set toot toot to a 0% chance of ever playing in Green Hill zone in Brawl. :lol:

Toot Toot is in Brawl? Haven't unlocked it yet. I actually didn't know there was a song called Toot Toot until just now, and I looked it up on YouTube.

Sonic Boom is definitely better.

I think it was but maybe I'm mistaken. It has been a while and I could be thinking of Sonic Heroes. Either way I don't like Toot Toot.