Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Is it cheating if I already did this on facebook before? =B Hurr.

Copy paste time!

24748810150266639834740.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

My first game was the oddly different Mario 2, and I still love it to this day. I just dream of getting a sequel, but obviously I accept the fact that this gameplay is not traditional Mario platforming (which is great too anyway). I used to play as Peach for her (almost gamebreaking once you know the kinds of places you can reach with it) long floaty jump.

EDIT:

Oh, but hey since we're here I'll spin some more yarns about it:

I got it just out of the blue when my Dad borrowed a NES off a friend of his. Only game it had. Somehow we ended up keeping it, though sadly the old thing's worn out and the fuse keeps blowing in the plug. As of the last half-decade or so I've used the Wii Virtual Console to get my fix.

When I was a kid I always used to only play through a certain route - take the Warp to World 4, play through to World 5 and then Warp to World 7. The Desert levels scared me quite a lot due to their difficulty and, thanks to my warping, lack of experience with.

I prefer the original to the remakes. The SNES one is very inoffensive, but I grew up with the NES, and in those days you fill in the poor graphics with your imagination. Thus I never personally imagined World 1, 3 and 5 being set in a jungley locale in particular (though I did love that the islands in the background on World 4 looked like cakes covered in icing with trees on top). I also loved that in the original, pausing the game reduced the music just to the bassline. That was a nice touch. In the remakes it just quiets the music I think.

Finally, the Game Boy Advance remake I thought was too watered down with the difficulty. I'm fine with it - old games are hard games, and if all the added opportunities for health and 1-Up items assist players in enjoying the game, I can't hate that. Just my personal preference of course. I find the original fairly easy now just due to playing so much, so a even easier remake is gonna be ridiculous. The new stuff though, like adding a "pre-boss" theme to rooms that contain bosses, with the proper boss theme kicking in only when you actually reach the boss - was a nice touch, as well as the voice samples (corny as they were) and mini cut-scenes for the bosses.

Finding all the A-coins and Yoshi Eggs was a nice bonus too for a veteran player.

Gameplay:

Edited by JezMM

This sounds like fun! I'll be participating.

28bvexf.jpg

So, Super Mario Bros is the first game I've ever played. I must have been at least 3 years old, but I'll never forget that nostalgic romp through World 1-1 and the eerie feeling of desolation in the underground tunnels in World 1-2. I never got much farther than that as a kid, but this game was just magical to me. It wasn't until I was 4-5 years old when Sonic showed up that I'd have found a new favorite, but until then, it was all about the Mario Bros!

Oh, and Duck Hunt too, I guess. It was the 2-in-1 package that I had, but c'mon, who would play Duck Hunt when you have Mario?!

• Thumbs Up 1

First game? Good god if I could guess it would be Super Mario All Stars. Fuck that game was amazing, and it had it all, updated graphics, infectious chiptune music, and 4 great Mario games from the NES era. Though I could never beat "the lost levels", fucking poison mushrooms.

My first game:

Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

Super Mario Bros for the NES. I started when I was 2-3. Since I had nowhere to go yet, my mom would play it on my dad's NES with me occasionally. We'd play multiplayer, so taking turns. I wasn't great, but for my age, I think I was OK. Sadly, I spilled juice on the NES and it broke. 5-6 years ago a bought an NES with SMB, so that was nice, and I also used to have SMB Deluxe.. And now I have it on the 3DS, too. This is also my mom's favorite game and one of the few she really loves playing. Just recently she asked me if they made a new one like this =)

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is it cheating if I already did this on facebook before? =B Hurr.

Not at all, that said, expect some twists here and there.

Anyway, as for me,

super_mario_bros.cover.front.2.jpg

My history really isn't that more interesting. I grew up in a NES household and practically had a controller in my hand when I hit the age of 1, even though I never actually understood games until I was about 3. After 18 years, my everlasting love of video games has never changed.

Super Mario Bros. might not be the best Mario title in the series or even that very interesting, but I'll always respect it for being the game that actually got me into the wonderful world of video games to begin with. It quite deserves its status of legacy.

250px-Pokemon_Yellow_boxart.jpg

I'm not entirely sure when I got this, but I do know that it was my first game. I originally begged my mom for the game because I was a complete pokemon nerd back in the day (though i still am now), my room was covered with pokemon shit, from the pikachu plush, pokemon blanket, and stickers everywhere. My memory of the game is quite fuzzy, but I do remember that I was unable to get through Viridian forest because I was that retarded when I was younger. I'd always catch a few pidgeys and ratata, try to break into the pokemon league, watch the old man a few times, and restart the game, because I had no idea that I could go north through the forest. Also I still have that special pikachu/pichu golden gameboy, and it still works (but I lost my pokemon yellow)

Edited by New Year's Cero
  • Thumbs Up 1

The first game I'd ever played was probably SMB/Duck Hunt on my grandparents' NES (it was left there by some of my older cousins for others to use since family visits almost always converge there).

598283-marioduckhunt_cover_large.jpg

To this day I have completed neither of them, and it's due to having no skill as well as getting extremely bored of it by the time I skip to World 8. Duck Hunt is also repetitive, but it's also the game to cheat at by just sticking the light gun to the screen. I really preferred the sequel and did finish that one before moving on to the Genesis and thus getting trapped as a Sonic fan for the rest of time (though never even knew the DC existed until long after it was dead and gone.)

I can't quite remember what the very first game I played was, I know the first game I played on a Mega Drive was Sonic the hedgehog... some kind of space sim I think.

But the first game I played was way back on the Commodore 64, however, what it was I can't quite remember.

I remember my mum coming how with this huge machine which was a Commodore 64 and it had tons of games with it, they ranged from random medieval soldier fighting monsters, to things like Jaws and a ghostbusters game (not the notoriously bad one, one based on the TV show that I can't find a copy of anywhere).

But one of the earliest games had to have been this...

I remeber this game for three reasons.

1: It was amazingly hard, I kept dying at the giant skelleton, I had no idea what to do.

2: It kept freaking me out, the music, the imagery, everything about it, I was far too young to be playing this game, it was a bit of a haunting experience, I'd never seen imagery like it before and didn't quite have a scale to put it against, that would change in the years to come as I managed to find a copy of the movie aliens and other 18+ movies I probably shouldn't have been watching.

3: After one night playing the game, I got that scared, I turned the game off and never put it back on again.

I don't know if it was the first game I played, but it's the first one I played with a clear memory. I don't remember much about it other than those 3 things, but all these years later I still love the OST, it's so strange and haunting to listen to, I'd like them to bring this series back one day, but I just know it'll end up going through the remake machine and not be quite as good.

Edit: *Looks at everybody listning Nes & Genesis games* Kids these days! In my day we had computers to play games on! And they were so big we had to take out a wall to get them in!

*sits in a rocking chair and remembers the good old days*

Edited by Hogfather

I don't really remember which was actually my first, but it was one of these 2:

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden coins

Admittedly not my cup of tea, but I logged countless hours on it regardless. My favorite level was the Lego level, because I was a huge fan of Lego, and still kind of am.

Never did I get any of the coins, but the game still has a place in my heart.

Alleyway

This game is currently on the 3DS shop as a download title if you want to check it out.

A simplistic Breakout-style game, as well as a Gameboy launch title.

Damn I had so much fun with this game, I was completely addicted to it as a kid.

EDIT: I'm not good at writing a lot :T.

Edited by Solkia :U

Nice idea. I am happy to join :D

My first game was Sonic Adventure (DC One)

Sonic_Adventure.PNG

It was the first game I actually played. I still remember that day. I was 3 years old and my Dad bought me Dreamcast for Birthday. Oh man I loved that piece of hardware! I watched my Uncle who had Mega Drive how ge plays Sonic. And I loved that Hedgehog so my Dad bought me first 3D Sonic game for birthday.

First Impression:

OH MY GOD! That MUSIC! (Thats how I became fan of Crush 40 too). I pressed start and watched Sonic jumping on the buildings. Then I saw Chaos... Man that was one scary S.O.B (for a 3 years old. Fortunately I knew some English back then so I was able to understand the story). I defeated Chaos and saw EGGMAN. Man that was awsome. Then first run on Emerald Coast. Again Eargasm. I rescued Tails. I always loved Tails. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are still ones of my faves.

Some more impressions:

I remeber that even messing around in HUBs was really enjoyable to me. Story was great. I really enjoyed it.

After all these years:

Nowdays I realize that SA1 had flaws but for me its still great game. Its OST, core gameplay and story is still great after all these years. At least for me.

Edited by HUNTER297

I'll join in, sounds like it could be fun

First game, eh? I can't remember but it was one of these

_-Sonic-Adventure-Dreamcast-_.jpg_-Chu-Chu-Rocket-Dreamcast-_.jpg

Sonic Adventure:

A game that still holds a special place in my heart on stays as my favourite game to this date. My brother got a dreamcast with Sonic adventure and Chu Chu Rocket for launch. This is what made me a Sonic fan, despite not aging well I still find it as fun as I did throughout my life. I bought it on every console posible.

Chu Chu Rocket:

This is an amazing puzzle game, I haven't played it nearly as much as Adventure but i still love it. Everyone should play this game.

1157472012-00.jpg

WAAAYYY back in 1990, Amiga Bubble Bobble was the very first videogame I ever played when I was 3 years old on my father's Amiga. My memories are vague but I remember getting my dad to put the Amiga on so I could play it because being 3 at the time, the hardware was a mystery to me :P

It's a timeless game. Didn't really know it back then but there were so many intricacies of the scale rarely seen in a videogame of that period such as 'currents', bouncing off bubbles to gain height, the mechanics of bonuses appearing and specific enemy behaviours. I still play it 21 years later :D

• Thumbs Up 1

lol So many people have Super Mario Bros. Allow me to throw my name in there.

super-mario-all-stars-limited-edition--20101215021315564.jpg

Can't really tell which one of the two I would have played first. I was probably 4 or 5 years old at the time, and my parents bought me and my brother an NES with two joypads, a zapper and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cart. It was a strange new world I was introduced into. It took years for me to beat Super Mario Bros but it was fun trying, Duck Hunt was fun, for the like the first 20 minutes of playing each type of game. Kinda challenging to do it legitamately, because it can get a bit tiring holding the zapper. Suck pain I wouldn't experience again until the Wii.

Super Mario Bros. I'll always love. But I much prefer nearly every other Mario game over it, except the American Super Mario Bros. 2.

Sonic3-box-us-225.jpg

This is the boxart for the wrong reigon but oh well.~

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was the first game I ever played, and it (Counting it's second half along with it) still stands as my favourite Sonic game to date. My history with it isn't very long. My family got a Mega Drive, they had Sonic 3, I played it. Well, I say play loosely, until my older brother stopped playing Sonic games, it was more I play for 5 seconds, wait for Tails to fly back on the screen, and then that cycle looped until he was too lazy to do a platforming section and made me carry him over it or until he was struggling on a boss and needed me to fight it, but it was still fun none the less. After he did get out of Sonic I was finally able to play the game properly, and I had a blast with it, although I still stuck with Tails, and tend to still do so even now, because I know how he plays the most. This game is still one of my favourite games to play through, the characters are all fun to use, the zones are memorable, the boss fights are interesting, and it's just an all round good game. I just wish I had Sonic and Knuckles when I was younger as well so I could've had the full experience right from the start.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was over at a friends once and had scene a nes. I asked him what it was. He was shocked. So he showed me a few games.Among them were the legend of zelda and mario bros. Those games were so fun. I would come over and play with him a few times. It was really special. It would be a while until i met sonic. So until then i would stick with Mario and Link.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-NES.jpg

Edited by the hedgehogs boost

I'll always remember my first game more than fondly:

Kirby's Dream Land. An excellent first game for a young kid to pick up. It's easy, simple and fun. And dat music. All of it still holds up as some of the best today in my opinion.

Also, the white Kirby from the cover of this game always drove me to choose that colour in Smash Bros.. A pointless little fact for you all. ;)

• Thumbs Up 6

The furthest video game I can remember playing (I was around 3), before I owned my own consoles and everything, would be either

A. Super Smash Bros.

Supersmashbox.jpg

which I always played with a neighbour where I used to live. I always ended up taking Kirby (still do in all three instalments sometimes) because I loved the Copy Ability. Next to that, I would take Yoshi. I only found out recently that they owned a SEGA Genesis, but it doesn't work anymore... D: Frowny face, that would've been fun!

B. or Super Mario World

Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

Grandma's house! Me and my cousins would always find ourselves playing either this or the original Super Mario Bros on the NES. But this one? I could not put it down.

Once I had a Gameboy Advance and discovered that Super Mario World was remade, it was a must-have for me. I also pat myself on the back that this was the first game I 100%ed. A real gem!

Edited by VizardJeffhog

Day 1 - The First Game You Ever Played

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System)

My first game was Sonic 2 for the Master System.

It was from my dad and we usually played it during weekends together, I was like 4 years old by then.

This game made me a fan of the Sonic series and I belive the I played it more than 500 times thanks to the first boss.

I only finished the game 2 times, one when I was little in a camping park and some years ago in Classic Collection +.

Edited by Tmsp

The first game I ever played:

AYBUO.jpg

It had a trailer for a Harry Potter game and a Twisted Metal game. There was an X-Men game I never heard of again, a Spider-Man game, Ape Escape, Barbie Explorer, and a few others. The reason this disc was so awesome was that it was a variety of games. A platformer, a fighter, a puzzle game, etc. It's probably one of the reasons I'm able to try enjoy such a variety of games.

I remember being like, "HOLY SHIT 3D" and being crazy about the Playstation anyway. I found it recently in my closet, and I obviously had to try it.

Ha ha, it aged terribly. It has the strangest graphics and screws up all the time. Ape Escape is probably the closest to holding up today, but not by much. The demos have ridiculous time limits. Despite all that, it still has that "haven't seen it in years" nostalgia. My family wasn't always able to buy the newest thing, so getting a game system for Christmas was a big deal. I had played Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 at my cousin's house, but I had only dreamed of owning a console. This game was a pretty cool start.

I remember when I was a young and probably equally handsome boy, and the only thing that mattered was figuring out how the fuck I was supposed to do anything in Ape Escape (I didn't have the Dualshock controller.) I remember when I beat my dad at X-Men by tapping all the buttons at the same time, and thinking I had broken it when I pressed "pause." Hell, I played the crap out of Barbie Explorer. There was a level with a giant rock, and that's all I remember. The demo freezes when I try to play it now. I also remember a game called "Sheep Raider," which was based on the Looney Tunes shorts where the wolf would try to steal a sheep. THAT is fun as hell. Can't find it though.

It wasn't until Sonic Heroes or Adventure 2 that I got into Sonic, so I guess I'm sorry I didn't grow up on the classics like you guys. But hey, I caught a monkey with a net.

First game, hm? To be honest, this is the earliest one I can remember.

256px-DuckHuntBox.jpg

While I wasn't extremely attached to the game, my older brother had a NES with this game and the scope gun controller. I used to play this when I was bored and I could never seem to hit the stupid ducks so I shot at the dog whenever he would laugh at me. I mainly played Arcade games growing up such as Asteroids, but this game is what started my game lineup.

First game? Alright, my first game was Mario Kart: Double Dash.

250px-Mario_Kart_Double_Dash.jpg

First played it at my friend's house, and then when I got a Gamecube, I picked this up along the way. I remember when accused my friend of cheating every time he won. xD I unlocked everything one time, but then for some reason, deleted that file and started all over again.... I loved to play as Baby Mario and Mario at the same time or Baby Luigi and Luigi at the same time. If I was playing as Baby Mario and Mario at the same time in the Grand Prix 150cc, I'd always quit until a)Baby Luigi and Luigi were partners and b)They were at least in 2nd place behind me.

Anyway, good game. Lotsa memories with this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_ln7w5mwaut1qgyya5.png

As far back as I can remember, I've known and loved Sonic the Hedgehog and this game. My mother would even tell stories of me actually holding a Genesis / Mega Drive controller in my hands, still in diapers, slowly making my way through Green Hill Zone. It's still holds up as one of my absolute favorite games of all time. At a young age I felt that it was superior to Sonic 2 and I still do. It's a far more memorable and enjoyable experience and I'm always more inclined to replay it than it's much loved sequel. It's the game that started it all.

You could say that if I never played this game I'd be an entirely different person than I am today. This game, much like the series in general, has been such a major influence over my life and everything I do. Games and game design are what I live for and my goal in life is to become apart of the game industry and make "my own Sonic the Hedgehog," more or less. I never would have such grand aspirations if it weren't for Sonic the Hedgehog and for that I thank him, this game, and everyone involved in its development.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

My first game is quite a hard one I think it might have been something noddy related but I can't remember but there is one I can clearly remember playing, definately one of the first (trouble is there were a lot of games), aged 4

DVDs0_0993444.jpg

oh yes the biggest reason as to why I'm now a pegasister. I loved this game for its ability to allow the user to be creative, it brings a tear to my eye on how lovely that game was. I highly recomend it

• Thumbs Up 6