Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 5: Favorite Multiplayer Game

header.jpg

You know, I'm beginning to realize more and more everyday just how unoriginal my choices are. But, anyways, Team Fortress 2 is an insane amount of fun. I'm usually not one who goes crazy about online FPS games or anything like that, but..Team Fortress 2 is a serious exception in that case. See, the problem with most shooters I have is that they're all so bland and similar, but Team Fortress 2 brings along such a huge and insane amount of VARIETY to the genre! Every single class is different! Not just in the way they look or anything, but in the weapons that they use and the attributes that some have and some don't..but while doing this, it makes it so that none are overpowered. You can always find a class that you enjoy playing! There's always something fresh and new with this game, whether it be added weapons, added maps, or an update that adds a special event for something like a holiday or to celebrate the birthday of the game itself. The graphics are cartoony and wonderful, I absolutely love it, the weapon variety is insane and there's something for everyone, with new stuff being added all the time!

I've poured in tons of hours into this game and I honestly find myself putting in even more. Oh yeah, and the whole game is absolutely FREE! If you haven't played this before, I don't know why you're reading this post. You should be playing it right now!

Im gonna cast my lot with Smash Bros.

Hours of endless fun, a large cast of unique characters, great remixes of old tunes, and a bevy of gameplay styles to choose from. Simply pure fun.

876282606.jpg

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Yay originality!!

Ever since my brother got this game on his birthday, me him and my sister have been playing it non-stop. It was balls to the wall fun, and though it did take us quite sometime to unlock everyone and everywhere, it was still a blast all the same. The peak for me really was all of the different modes present, sure there were classics such as classic mode, break the target, multiman brawl, etc. though I loved how they turned the way to obtain trophies into a mini-game. Then they did the most brilliant thing ever and gave us a story mode, which added both classic areas and enemies, as well as bringing in some new ones, and it gave us a peak at how characters from the varying serieses would interact, as well as keeping it for the most part silent, with the occassional voice clip (i'm looking at you Snake and Captain Falcon). Overall I adore the game, and still play it to this day with friends and family and (crappy) online

Now gimme my badge

My favorite multiplayer component, if i'm interpreting what multiplayer component means correctly, is prior preparation. Some multiplayer games allow you to set up some sort of a configuration before you play, and i'm not talking about Mario Kart customization. I'm talking about things like Custom Robo and Pokemon where it affects the way you play heavily. Surprisingly enough, Pokemon and Custom Robo are the best examples i've got off the top of my head. I don't know the inns and outs of game libraries very well unfortunetly :/

That being said, my favorite multiplayer game is a single-player RPG- POKEMON. You get thrust into this world rich with life and spirit to seek out Pokemon to fight at your side. When you step into the Battle Collesium, you spent a long time getting ready for this, catching, teaching, and watching stats so you could do well now. Unless you use h4x in which case you spent a long time staring at Smogon, but regardless you've gone through an entire journey through a country and become the undisputed champion before facing off. And when you do face off, you've got this incredible battle system to work with.

Favourite Multiplayer game?

Sonic_Adventure_2_Battle_(NA).jpg

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

This game can keep me and my friends entertained for hours. Yes, we're not perfect. Yes, we cheat by dying when someone gets a checkpoint to catch up. But this game still has the best multiplayer in a Sonic game. Heroes one seemed bland, Shadow's was dull and 06's was pure cheating. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is my favourite game of all time and this is one of the main reasons.

Edited by Dr Spudhead

My favorite multiplayer component, if i'm interpreting what multiplayer component means correctly, is prior preparation. Some multiplayer games allow you to set up some sort of a configuration before you play, and i'm not talking about Mario Kart customization. I'm talking about things like Custom Robo and Pokemon where it affects the way you play heavily. Surprisingly enough, Pokemon and Custom Robo are the best examples i've got off the top of my head. I don't know the inns and outs of game libraries very well unfortunetly :/

When I say component, I mean as in a multiplayer mode in a game that isn't necessarily based around multiplayer, e.g. Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle etc.

Day 5 - Favorite Multiplayer game

Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png

I spent so much time playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with my friends and family it isn't even funny, hell I still play Super Smash Bros. Melee with my friends and family because it's just that awesome of a game. I remember when I first got a Gamecube all we had was two controllers and Super Smash Bros. Melee. That's it, no memory card at all, and we played for hours on end not wanting to lose all of the progress we made just playing multiplayer alone, and once we did inevitably turn off the game and lost said progress we came back and did it again the next day, and the next day, and the next day. Once we finally got a memory card we jumped back in again and did all of it again and then some. The next day we kept our progress and just jumped right back from where we left off and we continued doing such for 10 years even after Brawl came out.

Brawl's nice, but Melee is divine.

Edited by Nix

Day 5 - Favourite Multiplayer game.

Easy...

230px-Phantasy_Star_Online_Ver.2.PNG

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE:

Multiplayer is not something I'm used to, my connection sucks (and I'm using mild words here) so Internet play was never really a choice for me, The lowest ping I remember seeing while trying to connect to a TF2 server was around 500(!)...

But this little jewel of the Dreamcast era manages to be playable even when my internet is at it's worst...

Now, I know this is a lame reason... I'm pretty much saying I chose this game because it's the only one I can actually play, but I assure you that this is not the only virtue of this classic.

foto_phantasy_star_online_blue_burst.jpg

Shouldn't you be using a foie based tech?

Despite my awful internet and my little expectations when I decided to give this game a try, PSO managed to blow me away with the great amounts of fun you can have...

But let's begin with the basics, you choose between 3 well differentiated classes, Hunters are the typical melee warriors who carries big swords and deals lots of damage, Rangers are the long range guys who are able to use fire-arms (!) and Forces who are the magic guys.

But even inside this 3 well differentiated classes you have more choices, you can be a human who are the average and well balanced guys when it comes to techs and health, CASTs who are all attack and resistance but can't use any technics on their own (but they can lay traps, which makes them incredibly useful) and Newmans who are the most "magically" proficient members, and even after that you can choose between male or female and each option has it's own bonuses.

wp-PSO-36-1024.jpg

Meet the team. (and that's not all of them)

Despite some balance issues this diversity has produced that sadly never got to be addressed (ie: try to be get as a HUnewearl in challenge mode) the game is tons of fun and highly addictive.

There are lots of things to do (despite a severe lack when it comes to variety in maps and enemies/bosses). You can try to clear story mode and see what lies bellow Ragol, you can get a real time attack madness out of challenge mode (sadly, not available everywhere), or you can try to bust heads with your friends or foes in battle mode (sadly, not fully working anywhere), thanks to the efforts of some people the game managed to outlive it's time and still manages to maintain a relatively active community, so there is always someone to hunt/talk/or just do random stuff with.

But lets be honest, most of the time you'll spend it hunting for that ultra super rare item.

laugh.png

And episode III is a cards game! :V

pso017.JPG

Commence Internet fighting!

A really interesting part about the game is the setting, to this day I'm still blown away by the Phantasy Star universe (huehuehue), the worlds where magical girls, valiant knights and big fucking gun wielding robots can be together... And PSO is no exception, the story is quite interesting (despite the lack of a main characters and narrative), the game will take you from a forest to an underground research facility, to the virtual reality, to a desert, to some mountains, to a 10 floor tower whose enemies will make you want to tear all your hair with your bare hands... to what's pretty much a "womb level". And in the course of this quest you will be fighting dragons, walking sharks, construction and war machines, nightmare inducing monsters made out of pure darkness and over-sized canaries...

pso1236482379.jpg

Forests background, teleporters and an android carrying a cannon, just your typical day of adventures.

But if there is something I can say this game really triumphs at it's in the music department, this soundtrack is amazing! No matter if you are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_lHWjLLCk, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbZHe5UxXOU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwk2H32qLQ,
(one of my favourites final boss tracks EVER!), the music is just awesome and perfectly fits each moment (it helps a lot that the soundtrack is dynamic, meaning that you will hear a different theme if you are fighting or not).

Episode III

music
:V

11889542882PHANTASY-STAR-ONLINE-Blue-Burst-screenshot-WBMike-112259349876.jpg

Fighting dragons, without risking an arrow to the knee.

Anyway, despite aging rather badly (partly because it's pretty much a Dreamcast game, partly because of some really bad decisions made by SEGA) , this game is still one of the most fun RPG's I've played, the setting, desings and music are awesome... Systems like the section ID's (which I totally forgot to mention until now

tongue.png ) will encourage trading and making use of all your character slots to try to catch all those shiny pokerare items, which actually makes the game rather addictive >_> ...The quite active (last time I checked) community is a plus too, and lets not forget what I mentioned at the beginning, you don't really need a lot (hardware and internet wise) to enjoy this classic. biggrin.png

And Episode III is actually a pretty fun cards game! :V

AND I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL!

<3

Honorable mentions go to: Half Life: Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, Quake 3 Arena, Team Fortress 2 and Sonic Advance 3 (I'm not joking here).

Edited by 502 Bad gatoway
  • Thumbs Up 2

Super_smash_bros_logo.png

Everyone I know is willing to play multiplayer with me on this, it's a great game and is always fun. The single player is great but the mutliplayer takes the game to a whole new level, I've wasted many hours with my brothers fighting to see who's the best.

Honorable mention goes to Mario Party 4

Edited by Rawrdom

1302007162-75.jpg

No lengthy anecdote for this one lol

It's a great way to play with friends and family! It's also amazing to have said friends and family play along to songs that everyone knows (with a whopping 3000+ songs, there's something for everyone, even the pop lovers). Laughs will ensue, especially when there's a mediocre player or someone joking around and trying to play expert XD

I love this thread. I'm getting introduced to so many awesome games I've not heard of, and games I've simply let pass me by.

Out of curiosity, does the badge thing happen at the very end of the third days when you tally up how many days each person participated in, or do we get multiple badges throughout?

Favorite Muliplayer?

Does the Olympic games count? If it does, I say that because of the different things you can do and all the different characters you can play as. (plus seeing Shadow ribbon dance was a gimmie)

I love this thread. I'm getting introduced to so many awesome games I've not heard of, and games I've simply let pass me by.

Out of curiosity, does the badge thing happen at the very end of the third days when you tally up how many days each person participated in, or do we get multiple badges throughout?

You only get one badge and that's for which cap you passed. They'll be given away at the end of this little game.

Don't worry, I'm keeping the tally.

• Thumbs Up 1

(although it's just a bigger version of my signature)

(Spoiler tagged due to AIDS and size)

day_5___favorite_multiplayer_by_noirnoctowl-d4n1fnr.jpg

In a stunning turn of events expected by no one, my favorite multiplayer game is Team Fortress 2. Shocker!

I think the fact that I've put nearly 900 hours into this game speaks for itself. It's just plain and simple fun. The Rock, Paper, Scissors style of class balance makes it an easy game to get into, but the abundance of opportunities to improve keep it from ever growing dull. The art style is pleasant, the characters are hilarious and lovable, the gameplay is an absolute blast. And with Valve's never-ending supply of things to add, any time I feel myself slipping away, I'm reeled right back in and love the game just as much as ever. Not to mention, knowing a good server with awesomely friendly people goes a long way towards enjoying the game, and I'm lucky enough to know such a server.

Day 5 - Favorite Multiplayer game

Any of the street fighter series games

I always like to play agaist my brother in those and see how better we get/how many new combos we can create.

Online play is always fun also, playing agaist friends from far away or some random guy is what I do the most in my PS3.

Edited by Tmsp

Day 5 Halo 3

halo%203.jpg

I feel a little conveluted with Day 4 and 5 almost being the same thing. But I shall digress, Halo 3 is the best multiplayer game for the 360 imo. I already explained all the reasons I love Halo 3 in day 4, so I'll keep it short and sweet here.

The customization is amazing, being able to create maps to your hearts content. Different game types, like zombies, racing, juggernaut. The creativity suprises me every time I download a new map or funny/ epic screenshot.

go-on-without-me.jpg

Ironically Halo 3 is funniest when you're not killing other people. It's when you're unleashing your imagination in Forge maps, and then spending countless fun hours with your friends. That's why I love Halo 3 so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Counter-Strike_Box.jpg

Day 5 - Favorite Multiplayer Game

Not much to say here. I was never really into multiplayer games, but this one is special. In Syria, barely anyone has a computer that can run anything (mostly due to the lack of internet, I'd assume), so the only opportunity to play some games comes from consoles or internet cafes.

Here's the thing: This game is HUGELY popular in Syria. To the extent that it's WEIRD if internet cafes don't have it on every computer.

I'll never get back the money or time spent playing this game with my cousins for hours on end. And you know what? I don't want them back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 5: Favorite Multiplayer Game-

I was originally going to say Call of Duty 4, until I remembered...

StarWarsBattlefront2_PC.jpg

Aw HELL YEAH. This game has, and continues to provide me with entertainment every time I pull out my PS2. Always has, and always will be a classic. I played it a ton before I got my Xbox, and even if I don't play it anywhere near as much its still nice to pull out every once in awhile and hop on for a few matches of it.

(If anyone has this game for PS2 and wants to play it online, PLEASE let me know :D)

• Thumbs Up 2

FAVORITE MULTIPLAYER:

Portal2cover.jpg

Portal 2, in general, is an amazing game. I don't have to tell you guys that.

The multiplayer, in my opinion, is what multiplayer should be-- the game as seen from two players interacting. There are special cases where it's still fun, but this is mainly what I think. Portal 2's multiplayer seems like it would require a mic or being in the same room, but the designers do a good job of giving you and your partner the tools to communicate without words if necessary. These include the "pointer," which allows you to single out a spot where you'd like a portal to be shot by your partner. Along with this is a plethora of silly interactions, such as removing your partner's core and teasing them. The puzzles aren't quite as complex as those in single player, but are really fun to execute.

Half of the fun for me is fucking over your friends. They'll be studying the obstacles while I jump around and shoot a portal on the wall and underneath them, and they fly off and die. Obviously this can be irritating, but it's always fun to hear your buddies' screams of "YOU SON OF A WHORE" over Xbox Live.

One thing I love about the puzzles is that the more difficult ones end with you and your partner flying around the map, as sort of a reward for working together and whatnot. GLaDOS' silly commentary is as solid as ever, and she succeeds in making you feel like garbage. <3

This multiplayer is fun. Play it.

Also, is one of the Days going to be "favorite licensed game," by chance?

DAY #5 - FAVOURITE MULTIPLAYER GAME

This one stumped me at first, because most of the games I love tend to pretty much be solo experiences. So I was going to go with something like Mario Kart just because it was the only thing I could remember playing with friends in recent times and having fun with... then my boyfriend mentioned another game that I can't believe had slipped my mind... probably because I have not played the multiplayer mode as much as I should have:

992ftg.png

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Yeah, I adore the MK games and all, but I've never had as much fun with any of them as I did with ASR.

The game is one of my favourites in general, not just for its incredible fan service, but the fact that you do tend to rely more on actual skill than other similar titles. The items and AI are well-balanced, the tracks are loads of fun, and even though there's one or two other faces I'd have rather seen included I can totally see why they stuck with the roster they did, and we even got one or two more obscure characters, so I was satisfied enough. Only thing that could have made it better would have been if they'd carried on releasing DLC, because there was just so much potential and it was a shame to never see them do more with it... oh and 1970's trousers mode of course. But otherwise, amazingly fun game.

But I really should be talking more about the multiplayer here shouldn't I?

As I said... I didn't really play it as much as I should have just for the fact that I'm honestly just not a big online person, so there's not much else I can say. I spent most of my time on it while I was working through the achievements and what I said about single player mode still pretty much stands. Although... one particularly fond memory I do have was the fact it was the first Sonic game I'd seen on the in-store demo systems since the DC days, so I had a blast playing against random folk in HMV until they swapped it out for something else.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 5 - Favorite Multiplayer

As much as I'd love to pick something unique and fresh, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to jump in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl wagon. Sorry, no limericks for this one.

Personally I think Super Smash Bros. gets right what practically every other fighting game gets wrong. The gameplay revolves around aiming and timing your attacks, not about extremely complicated button combinations. Also, interactive platformy environments are so much more fun than other fighting games' little flat rooms. There was a time that whenever I had friends over, we nearly ALWAYS played Brawl. It almost seemed like we took it for granted; we wouldn't wonder if we were going to play it, it would just happen at some point in the day. The characters, levels, soundtrack, and overall more manageable pace than Melee make it my pick for favorite multiplayer.

Runners up:

Halo series - While I may be getting sick of FPS's, the Halo games still manage to be a good time with friends. Every now and then I play online, and it's usually got me hooked for several rounds.

Portal 2 - Puzzle-solving with buddies proves to be extremely fun and mind-boggling.

Super Meat Boy - Not multiplayer, you say? My good sir, I encourage you to get a group of friends together, pick a ridiculously challenging level, and pass the controller around for one helluva time. Not actually multiplayer, but still a great game to play with friends.

Favorite multiplayer? No contest.

team-fortress-2-for-mac.jpg

Let me tell you- I'm not a very multiplayer person. At best, I'll play about a month or two; I've gotten to the highest level in CoD 6 and 7, but usually I play a few rounds and never play again. TF2 is the ultimate exception to this; I've put more than 500 hours of my life into it, whether it be playing competitively or just goofing off. And there are reasons for that. Team Fortress 2 has some of the best examples of good game design in the entire medium. The art style is not only unique and quirky, but it serves the design in that it allows you to see identify another player's class at first glance. Furthermore, the nine classes have a perfect Rock-Paper-Scissors dynamic such that no particular class dominates the rest; there are many ways to play each class, multiplied by the many ways you can play each map. You wouldn't play the Heavy the same way in 2fort as you would in Steel, for instance. It's extremely addictive, as if you get tired of playing one way, you can jump right to another. I have no dirth of good things to say for this game.

Oh, and about the Mann Co. store. A lot of people complain about the new weapons, but thing is that you don't have to buy them, and you're not put at a disadvantage for refusing. They're not Zynga. The hats, however, I'm very mixed on, but only regarding specific hats. The promotional hats often damage the art style or the characters that wear them; the Engie's cowboy hat work because it's in character, but the Alien Parasite and Cheater's Lament are just tacky and have no place in the game. That said, it's far from enough to kill the game for me, and Valve is very delicate with this game's balance and it shows. The only upgrade item I'd say significantly changed the dynamic of the game is the Dead Ringer, as it opened the possibility that you didn't actually kill someone you thought you did, but even then it didn't make the Spy OP.

Edited by SuperStingray

I have to say my favorite multiplayer has to be Super Smash Bros brawl. Its just a fun and simple fighter that anyone can play and just have fun. With the wide range of characters, items, and different gameplay modes that can have you playing for hours. In terms of gameplay its not my favorite fighter but I still enjoy the multiplayer because its so chaotic and fun to play around with.