Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

iVYRAVE, this is the second time I've deleted your posts. None of your entries are elaborate on the subject matter, and not a single one of them are accounted for. Put some effort into your stuff cause I'm not giving you another heads up.

Day 7- Least Favorite Level

Oh Dear god, where do I begin? Well I'll start off with One certain location from pokemon emerald.

The Sealed Chamber

SealedChamber2.png

Ok, so this was way back in fifth grade. I had defeated the elite four and on top of that, I caught eddy legendary in hoenn, except for the Regi trio. I knew where each of them were. But the problem was, there caves were closed. I then found out that there's something called the sealed chamber, and you need a relicanth and a wailord in your party in order to open the caves of the Regis. But when I got there I was in for a surprise Everything was in fucking braile.

Eventually I got so frustrated that I had to go on the Internet for help for the first time in my life as a gamer. And then when I did get the caves of the Regis open, I expected to run in there and just catch them. But nooooo, turns out when you walk in there, there's yet ANOTHER braille puzzle that requires you to walk in certain directions and use a certain HM move in order to open the door to catch the Regis. God I don't think I've ever been so pissed off while playing a pokemon game.

Haven't played 06 properly, so can't use that, Pokemon in general has really annoying caves, but that's not one single area and many of them have at least one cool Pokemon in (such as Rock Tunnel with Machop), or great music, so they do have their redeeming qualities. Other series have annoying levels, but none that inspire complete and total hatred, or I only dread a few parts of them rather than the whole thing...

So this leaves me to likely pick something from Shadow (even Heroes doesn't irk me that badly), and while there are a few contenders, most of them have decent music and atmosphere for the tone (The Doom, Lost Impact), or are just too bland to really offend me (Final Haunt, which also has good music, Black Comet less so and it's annoying as shit with the discs, but it's otherwise mediocre). This leaves a level which has okay music, but is otherwise totally horrendous to play, and this might be an unusual choice, but...

340px-Shadow_central_city.png

Central City, Shadow the Hedgehog.

Firstly, look at it. It's bland as bland can be, and worse still, it's one of three bland city levels (this, Lethal Highway, Westopolis), but at least the other two have some cool moments or are more fun to speed through, and have better music.

What else is wrong with it aside from aesthetics? Well, everything. This level is a confusing mess where everything looks the same, there's loads of alien goo everywhere, and the entire thing is timed. Not generously timed like Cosmic Fall either, but you have a scant few minutes to beat the level. While it may not be as confusing to navigate as either of the "Ark in the past" levels, at least they have a good atmosphere and setting. The level design also doesn't allow you to be fast as you've got to turn and/or fight enemies at every corner.

It has two collectathon missions, always frustrating under a time limit. One has you set off a few big bombs, another has you collect quite a few smaller ones to stop them from going off. These bombs also look very similar, and it's so hard to not accidentally set some off.

You know what the worst part is? In every other Shadow level, if you are like "I HATE this mission" you can at least just speed off to the Goal Ring. NOT IN THIS ONE! You are forced to do one of the ridiculous collectathon missions under a strict time limit, and if you fail, you can't take the easy way out. You just can't do it. The amount of times I failed this level due to the really strict time limit BECAUSE I couldn't take an easier way out made me angry. It's like a trap. If just one factor in making me hate this level was improved, it would be a lot easier and fairer to play, but the fact that you're stuck is a real deal breaker. I mean imagine how absurd Lost Impact would be with a fucking time limit and without a goal ring. It would be worse than this, but I'd still probably enjoy it more for the music. But it's not, so I don't hate it as much.

This is the level I always avoid when playing Shadow (arguably my first mistake), and the one good thing about it, is that it's on the most dark path so it's easy to avoid doing. It has a lot of flaws, but they would be manageable were it not for the ridiculous combination of a harsh time limit and being a confusing mess with NO WAY OUT. There's potentially levels I hate more, but this one is flashing to mind right now as it has the least redeeming features (even Sandopolis is kind of fun sometimes and has alternate routes and stuff).

Edited by Semi-colon e

Aaaaaa like before I'm so bad at negativity. I'll put my thinking cap on and try to only choose ones from games I do actually enjoy otherwise.

aridsands.png

Arid Sands (Night) - Act 3 from Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3)

Talked about this one many times before so I'll be brief. The last fighting area is STUPIDLY small for fighting a Titan in, so any hit is an instant kill. Coupled with Egg Wizards, an occasional glitch which makes the goal ring not appear, AND the fact that Arid Sands got two unique DLC stages while Apotos, a favourite night envioronment of mine, got only remixed stages, just added insult to injury.

486pxrustybucketbay3.png

Rusty Bucket Bay's Engine Room from Banjo-Kazooie

These days this gets a free pass due to even bad nostalgia being nostalgia, and the fact that the remake didn't make you lose all your notes if you died. BUT GODDAMN. Insta-death pit, timing puzzles AND a time limit challenge to get back out? Ughghgh. Even though this was a harder stage, I think they made the right choice by finishing on a high note with Click Clock Wood just to relieve you of the stress some of Rusty Bucket Bay could bring.

quicksandvalley.png

Quicksand Valley from Snowboard Kids

This is a boring screenshot, but I specifically chose it because it's the turn just a few seconds after this point that makes me hate it. SO hard to do. Granted it's slightly my own fault because I insisted on using Alpine boards when I was a kid. To this day I still forget how it's ten times easier if you use a FreeStyle or even AllAround board. Just when it couldn't get worse though - this is the quickest of two alternative routes... The slightly longer one? ALSO has the exact same turn with a pit to the left. Ugg.

Umm... think I'll stop here but I'm sure I'll post again if I think of some more.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was initially torn between selecting this as my obvious choice and giving it a pass because it was their first shot at it in the series, and every other game where the mechanic is used has said level be one of the best (if not the best, as seen in Hydrocity and arguably Tidal Tempest) level in the game. Perhaps it was first time jitters, not having mastered the concept and as a result causing it to be the spiteful, clunky, cheap, meanspirited level object of sin that it is. But ultimately I decided to throw caution to the wind and not let it go.

Fuck You Labyrinth Zone.

Edited by Tornado

sandopolis21.png

I would have mentioned the sewer dungeon in ToS, but I think I've mentioned that game enough :U

FUCK SANDOPOLIS ACT 2. Long, annoying, and Badniks that are just dickish. The rising sand part pisses me off. Specifically the part where you have to quickly open the door and run through a very narrow hallway. Whoever designed that is an asshole.

Edited by Solkia :U
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 7 - Your Least Favorite Level From A Video Game

0.jpg

Words can not describe how much I hate Mad Space from Sonic Adventure 2, and this is coming from a guy who thought the treasure hunting level were abysmal to begin with. It takes forever and is incredibly dull, from the beginning of the game to the end. This level, however, didn't want to be obnoxious and boring like the other treasure hunting levels clogging up a third of the game. Oh no. It set out to be on a whole other level of obnoxiousness and boredom. Complete with a horrible camera, unrealized gravity mechanics, and incredibly grating background music, this level is horrifyingly terrible.

Also Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) absolutely sucks because 2/3 of the game is boring. Sorry

• Thumbs Up 7

Least favourite area in a videogame

Water Temple (The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time)

Water_Temple_Artwork.png

Kill it! Kill it with fire! The convolutedly complex layout of this dungeon, the way it demands near constant pausing and re-equipping of the iron boots (Averted in the 3DS version), having to use the Hookshot underwater to defeat Shell Blades which is annoying because there's only a narrow hitbox on them to deal damage and the constant water level raising/lowering as well as the sheer difficulty spike after the Fire Temple all combine to make this dungeon by far the most irritating to me in videogame history let alone in OoT.

The music also gets very irritating after a while and alongside the dungeon itself, really grinds my gears.

It comes to something when even Shigsy admits his guilt over making this Temple so difficult and then there's the general agreement that the Master Quest version is generally easier.

Carnival Nights Zone

Carnivalnight.png

Oh yeah, you guys should've seen this coming. Carnival nights zone is a decent level but the one thing about this level that pissed off a lot of people is the barrel. Granted, it's not hard to get past it, all you have to do is press up and down. But then again, how in the hell were we supposed to know that as children? Even worse children during the 90's with a lack of Internet? Fuck. You. Carnival. Nights. Zone.

Luigis purple coins

0576.purple610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Mario has had his fair share of hard levels throughout his career, but this one. This one is just down right evil. It's hard enough with Mario but try beating this stage with Luigi. I fucking dare you.

250px-CaveDKCR.png

Cave Area - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Because every single level is a fucking gimmick level (Even the boss has a minecart segment), sure they're fine when separate, but piling them all on at once is just a terrible idea. Though I do admit, some of the best visuals in the game did occur in this area, but that fucking bat ruins any good this area brought up.

Terminal_Velocity_Zone_Artwork.png

Terminal Velocity - Sonic Colors

Oh hai LITERAL straight line the zone. Sure it did bring a nice challenge for the final level, but once you get the hang of it it really isn't anything special. The only part that was actually difficult was when the Interceptor came along and tried to fuck everything up, and the fact that if you go to fast the camera won't show it, ergo you won't be able to tell where you need to be to dodge its laser attacks

Sonic_Rush_AltitudeLimit.PNG

Altitude Limit - Sonic Rush

DEATH PITS, DEATH PITS EVERWHERE! The gimmicks aren't that bad by themselves, but once you factor in the enemy placement which causes you to die just for touching one on the rocket platform. Then the dropping platform sections actually have a limit to how many platforms there are, meaning that you have to pull it off perfectly, or you'll slowly descend to your death. Also, there's those horrible hangglider sections, that do absolutely nothing for the level but add an unneccessary amount of extra time to the level. Though I admit that I actually liked Get Edgy

• Thumbs Up 1

I could just go ahead and say anything from Mega Man X6, but I've already said why every level in that game is horrible so I won't bother.

Dark_Cave-Day.png

Any cave in Pokémon that requires Flash in order to be able to see anything makes this list, particularly in Kanto and Johto due to their caves' more complex layouts. No one likes having to carry around HM slaves, since most HM moves are pretty terrible, right? And surely you don't like having to waste a move slot on a move that isn't even useful, and up until recent generations (Thank Arceus they made that change) you wouldn't even be able to delete it until much later in the game, do you? Well too bad, you have to, or else you're going to get lost. Not only that, but you better have brought a lot of repels, or else you're going to have to put up with endless amounts of Zubats and Geodudes! Mt. Silver is particularly annoying with this, because it basically forces you to bring a Flash slave with you to go and fight a trainer with level 80+ Pokémon, effectively making it a 5 vs 6 match against the strongest trainer in the game.

Honourable mentions:

Water Tem-

inb4 Water Temple Ocarina of Time.

• Thumbs Up 2

199589-son2_29_super.gif

Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2 is the bane of my existence. It is 110% hate-fueled agony and it brings my shit to a boil. If I had a list of reasons why I dislike Sonic 2 (which is also my least favorite in the Classic Trilogy), Metropolis Zone would fill in reasons 9 to 99 in big, bold, fat letters.

The level is incredibly poorly designed, it's impossible to recite it's nooks and crannies, the enemies are outright broken with instantaneous attacks and terrible hitboxes that have priority over literally everything you do, particularly the Shellcrackers that become completely invulnerable if their claws are exposed, it's insanely drawn out and it's a fucking mess. If that's not enough it is for some reason the only zone in the game to have three acts, as if the designers knew that this shit was broken and they wanted to murder your immersion with a spoon.

Almost everything that can be attributed to what's wrong with Sonic 2 can be found in this level, and it's almost enough to make me want to burn the game.

2065300.png

The boss was retarded too.

• Thumbs Up 9

UIhqo.png

Oh look! It's my favorite game again! I'd get used to seeing this game a lot considering the pattern of these entries.

I don't like this game at all (as everyone already knows) but this stage in particular just grinds my gears more than any other. Who was the idiot who thought it was appropriate to make a stage that was primarily grind rails in a game with an absolutely fucking terrible rail grinding system? It honestly baffles me. Your AI partners can't even seem to comprehend the nonsense that is this level's design.

They more often than not lose their way and careen off of rails and platforms (sometimes you follow them because the game's controls are awful, as I mentioned earlier). You make your way through Rail Canyon in an almost entirely scripted fashion, running into buttons and switches that instantly change the railway pathways automatically, leaving the player with nothing to do but mash buttons to dance upon the rails and keep their speed constant.

This level sucks. Runner up goes to Marble Garden Zone from Sonic 3. Fuck you too, you piece of shit.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

350px-Sh_Bingo_Highway.png

Bingo Highway. Sonic Heroes has awful pinball physics, and sometimes you can control your ball, sometimes you can't. Bingo Highway forces you to navigate several pinball tracks, one after another, until you give up and say "FUCK THE STUPID EMERALD, I DON'T WANNA BEAT METAL OVERLORD ANYWAY." I have seriously never beaten Sonic Heroes because of this level. Fuck the police. I mean, there's like two seconds of actually playing the game. The rest is tapping the flipper button. The music is damn annoying, too. I don't wanna think about this one anymore, so I'm moving on to my next one.

atlantica.jpg

Sorry for the big-ass image, but I wanted a good view for you guys. Atlantica, from Kingdom Hearts and its sequel.

In Kingdom Hearts, I dislike this level because you swim in a three dimensional plane, rather than running on one. You can, and have to, swim up and down and all around. It's just annoying for me. The enemies can attack you from all angles, and being a mermaid man is just upsetting. The worst thing, the very WORST thing, it how an instrumental of "Under the Sea" plays on loop the ENTIRE. LEVEL. I can't even hardly stand the song now. Ughhhh.

In Kingdom Hearts 2, it's even WORSE. It's not only a breather level, but the entire level is a QTE. Not just a QTE.

A musical QTE. As in a musical number. Yes, they sing. And dance. About friendship. You thought Sonic Heroes was too kiddy? Ha ha, fuck you. There's nothing more to say, besides that Haley Joel Osment should never, ever sing ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 7 - Least favorite area

Wwpresent.png

Wacky Workbench from Sonic CD - This level is the most annoying level in the history of levels. You know why? It's the floors, man. THE FLOORS. Platforming in this level is already complicated enough, with spinning platforms, ice vents, and a general lack of good footing. But what happens if you fall off? The floor launches you up to an INCREDIBLY high ceiling, and then there is a ton of pointless maneuvering you have to do just to get back down to the main platforms. And once you finally get down to the platforms, chances area you'll just miss them mid-drop and land back on the floor, starting the chaos all over again! That kind of convulutedness is far more tedious than being underwater. Most of CD's stages are terribly designed messes, but not as bad as this crap. (NOTE TO MAKERS OF TOP 5/10 LISTS: Why do you people put Sonic CD as the best Sonic game so often? It had some new ideas, yeah, but that doesn't excuse the awful level design. It's not the best. It's not even one of the better ones. Opinions.)

Runners Up:

Those Tails/Rouge racing levels from SA2 - A boring, somehow randomly floating highway with no interesting design choices or fun gameplay. It's long, dull, and home to one of the most frustrating missions in SA2: "DON'T HIT THE WALLS!"

Water levels in 2D Mario games - NINTENDO! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK, TRADITION-LOVING SKULLS. WE. DO. NOT. LIKE. THESE.

Aquas from Star Fox 64 - See above.

Down the Tubes from Earthworm Jim - You pilot a spherical aquatic vehicle that is EXTREMELY sensitive to thrust. And it's also very fragile. And you're surrounded by jagged rocks. And also you're on a time limit. And also F*CK.

• Thumbs Up 1

The_Doom.jpg250px-Lost_Impact.jpg

THE DOOM/LOST IMPACT (SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG)

Dammit. These damned levels. Especially during the "Kill all the enemies" missions. Dammit, dammit, dammit. Soooooo fucking unbelievably confusing. Never before have I uttered "I swear I've been here before" so many times in one stage. Freakin' 20 minutes on each level during my first playthrough. Played them once, never touched them again. Good Freakin' Riddance.

Day 7 - Least favorite stage

Silver's Dusty Desert

Badly designed stage full of stupid traps like quick sand, endless pits everywhere, sand waves, badly positioned enemies and the stupid ball the end, that fucker made me waste 20 minutes in the stupid stage.

Silver's stupid voice didn't help me either.

Edited by Tmsp

Hey look! I wasn't too lazy to actually type something for one of these days!

Every water level in every Mario game ever.

Slowly swimming around, trying to avoid enemies, and not being able to attack unless you have certain power-ups is not fun. Especially the water world in Super Mario Bros 3. That was NOT fun....

Sea_Side.PNG

It wasn't AS BAD if you had the frog suit though.

Least Favorite area for me would be Bowser's Castle in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

8-Castle1nsmbwii-1-.png

This being my least favorite isn't because of it being annoying or difficult. Its more of how disappointing it was for a final level. This stage right here seemed as easy as one of the World 1 or 2 levels and Castles before were way more interesting/challenging. I can say the Bowser fight may cover up for some of the level's bore, but its still there.

WATER TEMPLE - The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (3D)

Well, just to help you out lol, the path leading to the boss key can be found by going to the very bottom of the main room, and take the corridor (can't remember which of the four compass directions it is) that goes into a room where you surface and then must hookshot across a row of spikes.

Make sure you have a regular key before heading here though, you'll need it along the way. To get that, you need to complete the puzzle in the main chamber on the second floor (I think) that involves shooting an arrow into an eye switch to open a gate, then hookshotting yourself through before it closes.

Day 7: Least Favorite Level/Area/Stage in a Video Game

I've narrowed it down to this: Snakeman Terror Missions in X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

vov0b9.jpg

If anyone has ever played X-Com, they know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, a terror mission is similar to other missions, except there are civilians running around, and the alien threat gains a special 'terror unit'. For the aliens known as Snakemen, this unit is the smiling Chryssalid. They have high amounts of armor to everything but explosive weapons, are extremely fast during their turn, and if they get in close enough to attack a troop or civilian, that man is turned into a zombie. But that's not all. If you kill a zombie with anything but incendiary rounds, they explode, and out hatches another Chryssalid. This can quickly turn into the situation in the picture above.

There are only two ways I know how to easily beat these missions. One is to simply accept the mission and immediately evacuate. The country invaded certainly won't like it, but it's better than ignoring it entirely. The other way is to have your troops equiped with flying suits, as they can't hit you if you're flying. But flying suits are at the end of a very long tech tree, so it will take ages to get those in time.

In short, nobody likes doing these missions. Nobody.

Honorable Mentions include:

Stealth sections in non-stealth games

The subways in Fallout 3

Team Fortress 2: 2fort with large amounts of engineers or snipers

Least favourite stage....

Aquatic Base - Sonic 06

320px-06_AquaBase.PNG

I like Sonic 06, don't get me wrong. It's just this stage is so dull. The fact that it's almost exactly the same for all three hedgehogs (assist at the same damn spot, just some characters go in reverse) make it seem repetitive. Also, I know the music is tranquil yet it just seems to make the level seem much more dull.

Well, just to help you out lol, the path leading to the boss key can be found by going to the very bottom of the main room, and take the corridor (can't remember which of the four compass directions it is) that goes into a room where you surface and then must hookshot across a row of spikes.

Make sure you have a regular key before heading here though, you'll need it along the way. To get that, you need to complete the puzzle in the main chamber on the second floor (I think) that involves shooting an arrow into an eye switch to open a gate, then hookshotting yourself through before it closes.

I have picked two games... and they're not Sonic or Zelda!

Day 7: Least Favourite Stage

I'm sure that by the time I finish typing this I'll think of something else, yet right now I keep coming back to this one.

Aliens Vs Predator (2010): Final Boss Mr Weyland

500x_bishop.jpg

Do developers play their own games? Thats a question I find myself asking a lot these days, but nether have I asked that with sincerity than I have done with the final boss when playing as the human in the new version of Aliens Vs Predator.

Specifically, when playing on Nightmare mode, but normal is just as broken.

Now this boss is also a level, you play through the stage, the boss is at the end, beat the boss and it's game over, it's not a case of the final boss is a level, you have to actually play through a stage to get it...

Problem 1: On Nightmare mode you have 0 checkpoints. You die, you restart the whole level again.

Problem 2: The level begins with an armada of aliens and 2 King Aliens charging at you... you have to be VERY careful with how you shoot otherwise you'll run out of ammo or die.

Problem 3: After you beat this initial section, the next area is full of androids... who are cloaked... meaning you have no choice but to use one weapon which can see them... so long as you hold down the aim button.

Problem 4: When/if you finally reach Mr Weyland, the boss himself is near impossible to beat on Nightmare mode unless you utilise a map glitch, mainly because some bright spark decided that Mr Weyland needs to be armed with a shotgun that has unlimited ammo and can hit you from the other side of the room doing almost the same damage as you do at point blank range!

Problem 5: Once you beat the boss, the level doesn't end, you then have a dodgy moment where you have to manually shoot him in the head (no sights, no crosshairs) via blind fire! If you miss... game over... start the whole level again!

The level itself apitimises bad design, the enemies before the boss are in such cheap locations (behind walls that move when you pass) you're lucky if you can get through with all your health packs, let alone reach Mr Weyland with good weapons and ammo.

But the fact that you can't beat him unless you utilise a map glitch... wut? Well I exaggerate, you can beat him without the glitch, but it's bloody hard and you need to be very lucky to time your first shot just right or else he won't stagger lock and you're toast, or somehow manage to keep a smart gun for the whole level.

The whole level in all it's horrible glory, skip to 6:40 to see the map glitch.

Dishonorable mention

Yakuza 4: Create a hooker lady mode.

This is a mini game that takes hours to beat, I'm not exaggerating... it's literally hours to complete, and you have to beat it if you want 100% completion/platinum trophy, but if you mess it up, you can beat the game and miss out on 100% completion... meaning an entire game restart.

yakuza-4-screens-20091211083436579_640w.jpg

If you scrolled down the page and stopped when you saw this image... you are a naughty person and need a spanking...

What you have to do, is find and recruit 4 hostess' to work in your club, you make them look all nice, buy them dresses and new hairstyles (with your own money) and they go out and make money... Oh... but you don't get ANY of the money they make, so you spend money and get nothing back in return!

When you make them look nice you send them out into the club, you then have to WALK around your club to hear what the patrons are saying in order to work out what clothes to put your hostess in next... But thats the gag, you can't instantly go back to the make up room once you figure it out, you have to wait until the game tells you to go back in... and the time is something like 45-60 seconds depending on where you walk in the club.

It's so unbelivably boring, the whole process, but also the fact you get no money from it or anything rewarding other than the trophy and a dodgy ingame item it's just a pointless exercise...

On the other hand... I love the song that plays when you're 'making up' the lady.

Chances are I'll think up something else I hate in a game later on so watch this space...

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1