Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Took me awhile to think, but now my decision is clear

SBG3.png

Shiverburn Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2

I was annoyed at alot of stages in Super Mario Galaxy 2 for pretty much reusing stages from Galaxy 1. But Shiverburn take the prize for most obvious rip off. The lava/ice fusion planet was possibly my favourite in Galaxy 1, but this just shows the laziness in the ideas for the game. It's not even a bad level, it's just a completely unoriginal one and I simply could not enjoy it simply because of this fact.

Day 7 Desert/Fire levels in every video game ever.

dry_desert.jpgfire_01.jpg

I hate Desert/Fire levels.

They always feel so....boring, like they drag on and on and on, while the level design of most of them are either monotonous or gimmicky. and by gimmicky, I mean quicksands or heat radiation, the likes. Never are they appealing to me by art design either.

Sandopolis, Crisis City, Shifiting Sand Land, World 8, Solar, Desert Temples, I hate all of them, and they all hate me. Never have I enountered a desert/fire level that makes me happy, or relieved that it tried something different. Ironically enough, if a game were to ever have a mix of a Desert/Fire level, I would except it, only because it would try to be different.

This may seem a little biased, but to me, all of these levels are the same. Same gimmicks, same concept, same boring as fuck level design. That's why I hate Desert/Fire levels.

And don't even get me started on Lava/Water levels....angry.png

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

DAY #7 - LEAST FAVOURITE AREA

2vkb8tv.png

Rusty Bucket Bay (Banjo-Kazooie)

I think the main reason Rusty Bucket Bay stands out in particular is just because it's the one single level that I can't stand in a game that I utterly adore otherwise, to the point where I just kind of want to skip it and head straight on to Click Clock Wood even now. Yeah, there were some areas in Banjo-Tooie that I definitely have more issues with (GRUNTY INDUSTRIES! *shakes fist*) but... Tooie was a bit of a disappointment to me in general, for many reasons that I won't get into right now as I suspect one of these days is going to be something along the lines of "Game that disappointed you most" and I'd like to save my answer for that.

But a bad level in an otherwise amazing game makes one hell of an impact on you.

Now, I have no problem with challenging levels (on the contrary, bring 'em on!) but it's easy to cross the line from "challenging" to "not very fun anymore" and RBB reached that point very, very fast.

Most of my frustrations go towards the engine room that Jez already mentioned, which was just... ARGH. It was a horrible enough area as it was (bottomless pits of death! Propellers! Awkward spinning pipes!), but the fact that you have to race against a timer just made it all the more insufferable.

Throw in the fact that I have an intense hatred for water-based levels to begin with and it was clearly never going to be a favourite of mine (thanks for the childhood trauma, Labyrinth Zone)... but wait! How can we make the water worse? Oh I know... toxic water that kills you very fast. With added sharks! (OK it was one shark... but whatever) Add it all together and the entire world is basically a giant combo of everything I dislike in a game, and even if years of experience have made it slightly less frustrating, I still kind of shudder every time I play through BK and remember what's coming next.

Edited by Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 1

The one good thing I can say about Rusty Bucket Bay is that at least it was as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the game. The music was as lovely as ever and I really REALLY like the view of the sunsetting sea beyond the industrial rooftops that you get when looking around at the top of the ship (admittedly this once beautiful vista has shown it's age in recent years but you know, when you're a kid and your imagination fills in the gaps...).

Nothing worse than a brutal marathon of a level that doesn't even captivate you on an artistic basis to keep your spirit up (see: The Doom).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's time to spew negativity again for a rather predictable counterpoint.

Day 7 - Least Favorite Area / Stage / Level in a Video Game.

ssmb_gametopic_Sonic.png

Sandopolis Zone: Act 2

I was originally going to choose something else, but I will be saving that for another day's post if it comes up. I will go with Sandopolis Zone: Act 2 for now.

initially, Sandopolis Zone was not bad. With the exception of sniping scorpions, the area treated me well. The music was nice and catchy, but at the same time it sounded potentially eerie, as if I was about to experience something creepy if I were to go any further. Troo dat! The first time I did the miniboss in Act 1 and saw the pyramid background, I was like, "oh, hoo, at least I am not going in there!" So, what happens? The miniboss dies, and a door on the pyramid opens. Well, I'll be damned!

Act 2 starts up, and I am inside a really dark pyramid. The Sandopolis Zone music starts up again, but this time, a much more bass-heavy, slower and super eerie version sets the mood. Great, what have I done this time? Might as well fly off and get out of here, it's probably just a short level. I run off fast to get it over with, and suddenly I ricochet down on a sealed box which sends out a bunch of ghosts, as if it was Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo (which did cause a lot of nightmares for me in my early childhood, actually)! Is this a good time to mention that as good as nothing in the world creeps me more out than ghosts? They all hover over me and dive down to get me. At certain points in the pyramid dungeon there are lights that you can turn off so that the ghosts disappear for a brief while, but they always come back shortly ...!

Sonic3%26K_Badnik_Hyudoro.PNG

Now, there are other little meanies thrown into this here level. Many players are fan of the time limit concept, but I personally dislike it. There are many places where you have to push a button switch thingamajig, and while you hear the clock ticking, you have to hurry afar before a distant door closes. I even had my life crushed out of me at some of those, haha!

The most severe feature of this level that makes it an easy choice for me is that one place with a couple of sand slides. If you merely slide down, the slide repeats and you go on forever. It took me a very, very long time to figure out how to get past. Now, imagine me wanting to get this level overwith as soon as possible, being terrified and having huge devil's ghosts chasing my tail and sliding down an eternal slide --- Kinda scarred me back then! xD

Sandopolis Zone (Act 2 Version)

Time to pick up my Sega emulator and see if that level still creeps me out.

• Thumbs Up 1

1815328-blog_uncharted3.png

Uncharted 3: Pretty much everything after Paris

I'm probably among very few people who adamantly feel this way, but I've made it no secret that I hate Uncharted 3. On top of a predictable, artificially lengthened and incredibly unfocused storyline with a Gary Stu main character, it had some of the absolute worst level design and enemy placement I've ever experienced. I could have gone with something in Sonic 06, but even with more tedious levels like Aquatic Base and Flame Core, the level design, divorced from the game's physics, was at least decent and at least it gave the illusion that completing them was worth my time, with the exception of Wave Ocean in Sonic's story, which just abandoned it's purpose right after completing it. But Uncharted 3 couldn't even give me the feeling that I was making progress. I tried to narrow down one level that stood out from the others as the absolute worst- while the shipyard was the first to come to mind, there were other parts I couldn't possibly leave out. Starting immediately after France, you go to Syria which was where my opinion of the game rapidly started to plumet, particularly when you get to the open area where fucking everyone has a rocket launcher. Your tasked with running back and forth across the areas, finding a clue to one of the game's maybe four puzzle sections while under fire from distant enemies at almost every angle. Then was the Yemen level which is pretty much nothing but beating people up followed by a quick puzzle in a pit followed by a LONG shootout in an incredibly cramped space that you get knocked out after anyway. And then came the shipyard. That was some bullshit. It's clear by the initial area they wanted you to take a stealth approach, but you're pretty much forced to engage them to escape the area anyway, and considering the exit to the area is extremely well hidden with nothing pointing to it, you'll probably get caught while looking whatever the case. And the thing is, the area has a HORRIBLE layout for a fight with its uneven, chaotic and narrow platforms- even if it wasn't hard with high up enemies on turrets, it's tedious to just get around. You should be able to escape their sights in water, but considering how ubiquitous enemies are in the shipyard, you can't really go anywhere without having eyes on you until you kill enough people. And when I did finally get out of the area, I didn't feel accomplished, as the game made it feel like that was an engagement I should have been able to avoid. The area between that and Ramses' cruise ship was inoffensive, but when you DO get on that ship, holy fuck that place sucked. To start, while infiltrating, you're tasked with killing a group of enemies WHILE trying to hunt down a human tank with an explosive weapon WHILE the rocking ship keeps shifting the hidding places. Seriously, fuck that shit. And then there's the shootout in the theater where enemies in the mezzanine shoot at you from way up above while enemies on your floor approach you from all angles, and the best they give you is a Tau Sniper with 6 bullets. Finally, the desert. The first part shouldn't even count as a level- even as a cutscene it shouldn't have been that long. Slumping through the desert for like a half-hour is not fun. If this is something they wanted to explore in a game, they should have made interactivity important to it rather than just making you hold down the control stick to crawl forward. And when you finally find civilization, and ignoring the fact that Drake went days in the desert without water yet is still able to hold his own in a shootout, you're faced with another batch of Rocket Launcher-happy dicks in an open area. Good design choice, Naughty Dog! There is SO much more I could say about this game's design, but then I'd just be complaining about the entire game rather than levels.

Runners Up: Xen (Half-Life), Hoover Dam (Duke Nukem Forever), Main Sector (Metroid: Other M), Lost Impact (Shadow the Hedgehog), Stealth sections of any non-stealth centric games

Edited by SuperStingray

Day #7 - Kami's Hazardous "High Infestation of Filthy Ninjasharks" Environment that counts as the Least Favourite Level/Stage/Area

My Least favourite stage would have to be Pianta Village from Super Mario Sunshine.

(image pending)

While the stage is visually rather nice, the missions in this stage are just some of the most boring or frustrating in the game. For example, the mission with all the flame Goop where you have FLUDD taken away, and have to navigate your way to through the underside of the village using the ...wall-climby things, all while hanging over a bottomless pit. Worst part is that if you take a wrong path, you end up marooned in a section of the stage. The other missions like taking the Chain Chomps for a bath are simple and kinda slow, and the red coin mission can be rather frustrating, since the stage is rather large and one slip up generally means starting over again.

Unhonourable Mentions

Twilight Trail - This stage really drags back the entire experience of Paper Mario 2. with all the backtracking that takes place, the abundance of Amazee Dazees (who can catch you quickly on the overworld, appear in groups of 3 at minimum in battle, and have the high damage-hard to block sing move) just makes this part really terrible.

Most of Rouge's Treasure Hunting stages - While I generally don't mind the Treasure Hunting gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2, Rouge's levels tend to kinda lame or broken. The Security Vault one has that short time limit, which gets frustrating, Egg Chamber has that big beetle thing, which appears at the worst times, and Mad Space can't get gravity right.

Chao Gardens - I've spent enough time raising the goddamn Chao to really dislike being in these places...

• Thumbs Up 2

I just remembered this... this was an absolute horror of my childhood and took me a long time to beat... in fact I know people who spent £40 on the game on day 1, the next day at school people were shocked at how hard this mission was, so shocked in fact when I told them I beat it after a long time, I had people begging me (including the school bully!) to come round to their house to do this part for them because they found it so hard...

At one point I had someone offering me his memory card in order to beat it!

I won't tell you the name of it right away... just right click on this link... and let the video play... don't look at the new window... once the music plays, if you owned this game... you know exactly what the spoiler will contain...

Right Click this link... open in new window... DO NOT look at the window until you hear the engine noise... if you know the game.... you'll know the hate that this level brings...

Driver: You are the Wheelman.

THE FIRST FUCKING LEVEL!

Driver-Box-PS1-UK.jpg

The first mission in the original Driver is notorious for being amazingly difficult, this is the tutorial would you believe, yet almost everybody who plays this fails on their first attempt and many players can't even pass it because it's so hard. One guy at my school actually paid someone to beat this stage for him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0DYeBm7VA

"Maybe I'll give you a call if I need a ride to the grocery store" Get used to it... you'll hear it a lot.

The stage is simple, you have to 'audition' for the mob to be their getaway driver, they give you a list of moves to do in a parking lot, you have 60 seconds to do them all... damage the card and the mission fails... don't do all the moves and the mission fails... Run out of time and the mission fails...

Sounds easy? It's not! Theres not a specific route to take, but some moves need a big run up of speed, and this means that you have to do some moves out of order (which you are allowed to do). But the problem comes with space in the parking lot, theres not much and it's easy to crash.

Now if you don't beat this stage, you can't progress with the rest of the game! The tutorial stage is mandatory and if you don't beat it, no game for you! Due to the design of the level (being so compact) and the time limit as well as the damage limitation the stage is so much harder than the majority of the levels in the game, in fact I can only think of two other stages that are harder, one of them is the notorious 'The Presidents Run' (the final mission).

The level was so hard that magazine P.L.A.Y dedicated two pages to how you beat it and regually joked about how some people couldn't play the game because they couldn't pass the mobs initiation test!

Driver... awesome awesome game... Absolutely shocking first level! You will grow to remember and hate the line 'Maybe I'll give you a call if I need a ride to the grocery store!"

They should give you a real life driving license for passing that stage.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ooh, blimey. Got a bit of catching up to do!

Day 6-Favorite Area/Stage/Level in a Video Game

Absolutely perfect. Emerald Hill Zone has to be my favourite level of all-time simply because it's got everything I could ask for in a Sonic level; Speed, bright vibes, a perfect opening track to the game...there's not one thing I don't like about this level. It toppled Green Hill in pretty much everything and was a great way for players to get a taste of what was to come when they first dived into Sonic 2. There is no other level in gaming that I'd be as happy to play over and over again. It's simple fun at its finest.

Day 7 - Least Favorite Area / Stage / Level in a Video Game.

Sonic '06's Crisis City is exactly what the name says; an absolute crisis. Nobody should have to play through this broken mess of a level or anything even remotely like it. The running sections are stupidly difficult because of the game's shitty controls, the enemies are bland as cardboard and the setting just doesn't look great at all. Sure, it was improved in Generations, but both the Classic and Modern levels still had their annoyances which seemed like they wanted to pay homage to the original source material. Sure, the music's good, but it can't save this absolute shitbag of polygons someone threw together and decided to call a level.

Oh, and yes Sonic. We know that tornado is carrying a car. We heard you the first 20 times.

Day 7 - Least Favorite Stage

Metropolis.png

Metropolis Zone - Sonic 2

Screw this level. Screw this level and absolutely anything that has to do with it. The level design is beyond awful, the mechanics that have to do with it suck, the enemy placement and the enemies themselves are total crap. They always happen to just just WHATEVER THEY CAN to hurt you in some kind of way. The music isn't even that great either. Plus, it's the only zone in Sonic 2 that has three acts. SEGA knew that this zone was utter crap and wanted to make fun of the fan base that was enjoying the game so far. Every time I get to this level, I just feel like shutting it off. It sucks.

Oh yeah, and..

Slicer.png

FUCK THIS GUY! FUCK HIM TO HELL AND BEYOND!

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 7 - Least liked level/stage/whatevs.

This was actually pretty hard, I have surprisingly large amounts of hate to share in this category. laugh.png

I guess I'll go with this one:

sonic_the_hedgehog_2_md_hill_top_zone.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Hill Top Zone

You might not know this, but my opinion of Sonic 2 is not nice, I pretty much consider it one of the dullest and most boring games of the franchise (Chemical Plant and Oil Ocean are the only zones where I had anything that resembles "fun")... The game really pales compared to the other classics, it doesn't have the charm (and other bits of level design) of the original, it's nowhere near as zany as Sonic CD, and of course, it really falls short gameplay-wise compared to Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)... In it's defense, it has the best multiplayer of the classics, but that's not saying a lot. And this little level, is the epitome of this game's dullness.

25pgwgl.png

Joy. .-.

Think about Emerald Hill (which is already dull in my head), modify the pallet a bit, take out as much fun and speed as possible, add some lava with some annoying platforming gimmicks (some of them become annoying if you are playing with Tails... Tails was a dick in this game), and last but not least, put the most awful and less exciting music you could manage to make... And there you have Hill Top Zone.

s2-htz-act1map.png

Now that I take a closer look, there is not a lot to do here...

I must confess, my distaste for this stage mostly comes from the music and the visual appeal (well, the lack of it)... But the level design is not something I would call high quality either, or at least in Act 1's case (act 2 is a vast improvement)... Sometimes I wonder if this was supposed to be a first or second level, I mean, it already resembles Marble Zone... (maybe I should check Retro's wiki to see if I can dig something).

sonic2.jpg

I know that feel bro...

So yeah, I chose this stage because I find it incredibly boring to play and explore (whenever there actually is something to explore), Now, this is clearly not the best post I've made in this topic (neither the worse, that title belongs to day 1 IMO), but I just don't find a lot of talk about a place that I find so... Uninteresting... It's not even rage inducing... It's just there...

EDIT: I have too many (dis)honorable mentions to list. :lol:

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 2

My least favorite level/area would be the 2D Manta Ray level from Super Mario Sunshine. I find it really easy now, but back as a little kid, it was rage-inducing. It's alright for the first few hits, the manta ray is pretty slow, but later on, when the manta ray divides into smaller manta rays and becomes faster? That is pure chaos. And then comes the accidental step in electric goop...which just shocks Mario and he loses one health. Never really liked that beach world place, and this just comes off as the worst part to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wacky Workbench.

Wacky-workbench.gif

I love Sonic CD, I really do. It's my second-favourite of the classic Sonic games, and it's probably in my top 5 Sonic games of all time. I know it's far from perfect, but it's just so charming and atmospheric that I'm usually willing to overlook its flaws. Usually.

Wacky Workbench tried to have an interesting gimmick, which I guess I appreciate, but in the end it all amounts to the player having to make dozens of blind jumps on to tiny moving platforms above a floor that flings you back to the ceiling if you mess up. Oh, and there are live wires all over the place, because why the hell not? And of course the upper tiers of the level are sectioned off from each other, so it's not like the floor is just forcing you to take a shorter path. Once you're up there, you need to get back down again. When a level's best features are a statue easter egg and an obstacle that turns you into an ice block, you know you've got problems.

...and while I'm on that subject, an honourable mention goes to every level with a puzzle where you push blocks on ice.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wacky Workbench is THE level I hate the most in CD and one of my least favorite stages. The entire stage is confusing as hell and the top portion is so fickle with it's tiny platforms that require precise jumping and the bottom section has these annoying floors that bounce you around, some are even electrical and even switch around! Joy! Love the music though.

It's REALLY hard to pick a least favorite level, considering I don't have one I absolutely hate. So, I'll just go with this bugger of a stage:

Wacky-workbench.gif

Sure, Wacky Workbench may be fine to some who have played CD a million times, but to me, its a pain in the ass. The bouncing floors, while a clever design choice, more often than not steer you in the wrong direction. It certainly doesn't help some parts of it can electricute you. The level, in general, is pretty confusing to get through as well, but the floors are still more of an annoyance (unless they take you where you want to go). That said, the music (Japanese version) is very catchy.

Day 6- least Favorite Area

I must sound like such a broken record by this point... but it's so hard for me to decide! I'm a person that tends to block out bad gaming experiences quite well. However, one I can talk about one source of vidya-related anger.

vs_04.gif

Yuppers. Special Stages. Didn't care for them as a kid, don't care for them as an adult.

Which ones? Most of them, but the one that debuted in Sonic 2 (and all the numerous variaions of it that followed) are especially annoying for me. I've been playing Sonic for such a large portion of my life, but I have yet hang of the special stages. Why? Well, the totally different gameplay styles when compared to the main game, the extra quick pace, the little margin of error, the monotony... it's all just so ugh. Not to mention that getting to them can be a headache, sometimes. S3&K wasn't bad, considering that it gave you numerous ring portals and you didn't need any of that 50 ring BS, but it seems like such a hassle for most of the other games (ESPECIALLY the Advance titles, ffffffff). I could always just not play them, sure, but if you want to actually complete the game without having Eggman's smug face laughing at you, ya gotta do it.

If there's one thing I'm thankful for about the modern era, its that the Chaos Emeralds are usually obtained within the story. Special stages do nothing but frustrate me.

tl;dr: This poster is buttfrustrated that he sucks at video games and never gets to play as Super Sonic without going into debug mode. Ignore his bitching.

Edited by gnth®
  • Thumbs Up 3

Splash_Hill_Zone_-_Screenshot_-_(1).png

In recent memory splash hill zone has to be my least favorite zone in the whole game. Mostly due to it being a green hill clone with horrible music. Even though it's sonic tradition for a green tropical type zone in almost every game but it's still pretty lame. Then it doesn't benefit the level with the awful level design with dash pads every where along with HA chain it was just terrible.

Day 7 - WHATS YO HATED LEVEL IN VIDYA

Seriously, first hated, then liked, then detested, and back to gushing (and hating again).

Then again, this is pretty easy.

Sonic Colors (DS) - Asteroid Coaster

Sonic-Colours-DS-Asteroid-Coaster-Screenshot-3.jpg

Okay, how many people actually liked Sonic Colors DS? I thought it should've been unanimously hated due to how stale the graphics were, how badly executed the level design was and how cheap all the deaths became. Asteroid Coaster, the penultimate level may over do that last part. Apparently, not pressing R while boosting will kill you. I'm not even sure if this was even covered in a tutorial. Also, the Violet Void had really bad execution--he was meant to go over bottomless pits that did not take the Wisp time limit into consideration, slowly bringing you to your most frugal demise.That was just the tip of the iceberg of my frustration, by the way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Least Favorite Area:

My least favorite area in a video game has to be Victory Road. I hated that place with a passion in the original Red and Blue games. It was just a labyrinth of tunnels filled with trainers and Golbats among other things. It took me forever to reach the end and when I finally did I was ready to chuck the game at the wall due to frustration.

I know now looking back through the maps that Victory Road wasn't actually that long and filled with numerous trainers. But when I was younger and just discovering Pokemon, I entered Victory Road expecting challenges to fit my accomplishments in the Gyms. What I received was a tunnel filled with Golbats, Machops, and Gravelers every ten steps. The real challenge was not getting frustrated by the end of it. Now it is nothing going through Victory Road with each installment of Pokemon, but I still harbor a deep dislike for that original Victory Road from Red and Blue

Did I mention how much I hate Golbats?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's still Day 6, right?!? EDIT: Ah, this was Day 7's... So I've done every one up to date then! :D

Grunty_Industries_entry.png

Grunty Industries. My gosh.

This place is terrible. Unlike a lot of people I love Banjo-Tooie, but this place is as bad as people say it is. Possibly worse. Every complaint you've heard about Banjo-Tooie easily applies to this.

The level is a maze, the atmosphere isn't all that great, the music... The music is good, but what else would you expect from Grant Kirkhope?

Grunty Industries is enough of a reason to stop playing Banjo-Tooie. And Banjo-Tooie is one of my favourite games. The worst part is that it comes right after the rather bland Terrydactyland.

...At least Loggo appears. Loggo has a habit of showing up at the worst levels he can. Except Banjoland. Banjoland was awesome.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ironically enough, if a game were to ever have a mix of a Desert/Fire level, I would except it, only because it would try to be different.

This may seem a little biased, but to me, all of these levels are the same. Same gimmicks, same concept, same boring as fuck level design. That's why I hate Desert/Fire levels.

Metroids Fusion and Other M both have desert/fire levels as simulations. The parts are mostly kept separate though. Other M has it's own host of problems though as this thread already details...

I had also blocked out from my mind how much I hate some of the areas in Mario Sunshine. I actually enjoyed the FLUDD-less levels the most, but they were dickish. I fucking hated that beach area as well as the village one just because they aren't really designed like levels at all and I find them so annoying to play. In fact, Mario Sunshine in general pissed the shit out of me ._.

And then there's also the Thorn Jungle in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Bryyo as a planet looked cool but was so linear and boring to play, but Thorn Jungle (one of it's parts) doesn't even look cool, it's just a bland mess of thorns and random ground. The reason I really hate it though, is because you have to take down a generator. There are two parts to it, I forget what one of them is, but it's annoying. The second one is one where you have to pull down these levers while space pirates are spamming you with bullets and flying around like assholes, and they never stop spawning until you pull all the levers down. Worse still, they can pull the levers BACK DOWN, making this really frustrating. It's tempting to use the game's gimmick, Hypermode, where you use up an energy tank to become invincible and super strong, but that runs out often all too quickly, and if you're not careful, you'll become corrupted and die. You can only have a maximum of 5 energy tanks at this point too, so you've got to be really fucking careful. Oh yeah, and you can't do one part, then save, as FOR SOME REASON the door leading back in the direction of the nearest (pretty close) save room is blocked! Thanks, Retro. It's not even 1/3 into the game either - after this point, the game only improves until the very last area.

Thorn Jungle and some other parts and bosses in Bryyo in general are why I don't want to play MP3: Corruption again just to get to the good parts.

ANY DESERT STAGE IN ANY GAME EVER.

I hate desert levels. A lot. I hate all the sand that covers them.

I hate the inevitable. Friggin'. Quicksand gimmick.

I hate moving slowly in quicksand.

I am not a fan of the same orange, brown, and yellow stone that is never not in any game.

I hate slopes rendered unclimbable by falling sand.

When it looks like it goes on forever because it feels like I'll never get out of this awful level.

I hate pyramid levels that are full of all these things, plus look exactly the same no matter where you go in them, and probably have a shitty darkness gimmick thrown in because why the hell not.

• Thumbs Up 2

I despise the token Ice levels. Sure, they're pretty damn awesome, with great music to boot, but really now.

ALL THAT ICE, SLIPPING AND SLIDING AND TRIPPING AND MISSING AND FALLING OFF LEGDES AND AUGH

So, with that said, my least favorite level is...

WORLD 9-7 (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)

Just... Fuck this level. Fuck it. The video may make it seem easy. It's not. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL IT'S EASY.

Let me list what is wrong with it.

1) The entire level is comprised of ice blocks bar an odd platform here or there.

2) There are fire-breathing piranha plants all over.

3) The fireballs these plants shoot melt the ice

4) The ice blocks are either filled with instant-death plants known as "Munchers", or with coins

5) The coin blocks are all over BOTTOMLESS PITS

Fuck you, World 9-7. It took 2 months to finally beat you and claim complete reign over NSMBWii.

DISHONORABLE MENTION:

HILL TOP ZONE (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

Hill Top is boring. It's got that stupid lava gimmick, too. Level design is bland. All I can say about Hill Top is that it's BORING.

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 1