Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

avalon-code-nintendo-ds-135_m.jpg

Code manipulation

The world is ending, you have been chosen not to save it but decide what will be in the world when it is reborn.

You are The Book of Prophecy, anything recorded within it will be in the new world.

Here is when the game play part of the shows up. Things in the book have a code you can change in many ways.

You can take away sickness away from people and put in a monster's code making all the species weaker.

Take away the opponent's strengths, create weapons and give them special effects.

Fun little things lie that.

Runner ups.

Not really one,but I just did not want to talk about Super Sonic.

Forging your weapons, Swordcraft 1&2 all your weapons are made by you.

Day 7

45.jpg

PARKOUR

If you take a look at my video game catalog, you notice a lot of similarities in them. They all have something to do with acrobatics of some sort. Just being able to traverse across an area with heightened spacial abilities just appeals to me. And the great thing about it is it is completely achievable for the human body. This ability just draws me in like a moth to a flame. In fact, I'd pimp any game if it had Parkour as it's main mechanic. I love this discipline and am obsessed with it.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 2

Favorite Ability:

So my favorite is an ability as old as time itself!

THE DOUBLE JUMP

So not only do you get an extra boost to that ledge you so desperately need to reach, but you can defy gravity. How many times have I seen a ledge in a game so inaccessible that I never thought I'd reach it unless I had a ladder? Many, many times. But that's the beauty of the double jump, it understands your pain. It'll get you to that platform, as long as you don't question the physics of it! The mysteries of the double jump have escaped man for generations, but I think this sums it up.

tumblr_ltzuj8vvbl1qd66tjo1_500.jpg

Dumb joke, don't hurt me!

• Thumbs Up 6

My favorite ability would have to be:

The Super Leaf/Cape Feather/Wing Cap

Nothing beats being able to fly in the Mario games, nothing. The Wing Cap allowed for the most free flight in the series, while the Super Leaf and Cape Feather gave you the ability to whack enemies around with a quick spin (plus the ability to deflect projectiles with the cape!). They were especially helpful in annoying stages, as you could just get a running start and then fly over everything.

My favorite ability would be Hyper Sonic from Sonic 3 and Knuckles (don't like Super in Brawl, Colors, or Generations). While he may be cheap and somewhat difficult to control, this guy's just a blast to play as. It's best up against bosses. While playing as Sonic, some bosses may be difficult to play as. With Hyper Sonic, just keep ramming into the boss and have him down in a few seconds. It's fun to watch too. If only Hyper could help against that gravity boss at the end of Death Egg Zone Act 2..

Runners up: Fire Flower and Cape Feather from the Mario series.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

Bleh I missed day 7 but ill post it anyway

Soleanna

0.jpg

Bland, boring, bottomless pits everywhere. It's too big and I will always get lost, it feels uninspired and empty. You can fall everywhere, losing many lives.

THE HOMING SHOT

Erm I mean

THE HOMING ATTACK

Sonic-Unleashed460.jpg

I love this but It has some flaws, more in the way Sega are using it. Play a 3D Sonic game and don't use it, you'll see why I love it, it's creative, fun and unique while not needed in 2D it's a great addtion in my opinion. I don't like how Sega use it to avoid platforming though, play Generations Modern City Escape and you can see vast platforming however Sega placed enemys there so you can skip it using the homing attack

I-I think I'm running out of steam...I'm not sure how much longer I can continue. I'm finding it quiet hard to think of anything...I may have to pick something dull.

Favourite Ability: The Ledge Grab

ledgegrab.png

I think it was one time when I was replaying Banjo-Kazooie, I suddenly noticed I was having a harder time on it then before. Constantly missing jumps. It eventually hit me as to why. It's because I got my wires crossed somehow. I thought Banjo always had the ledge grab ability, when actually, he learns it on Tooie and I just stupidly assumed somehow...

But the ledge grab has proven to be pure gold on some games. You won't be able to do much of anything without it on Uncharted and Tomb Raider. It's also very helpful in the Legend of Zelda and a useful tool on Assassin's Creed. But again, I go on a game that doesn't have it, and I start having difficulties. The most recent example would have to be Super Mario 3D Land. Taking on jumps I thought I could make, but end up being mistaken. It was also confusing because Mario has had the ledge grab before, and for him to suddenly not have it was a surprise.

It was also a good thing the 3D Rayman games had it, since I would often stop hovering too soon and almost miss the platform I was aiming for. Now that I think about it, I may have done that with 2D Rayman too...

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 8 and my favorite ability from a video game. I am going to surprise everyone and say the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (a.k.a. Portal Gun). This device is fun to use to get almost anywhere in the game plus it reminds me of those classic cartoons where the character takes one of those holes and sticks their hand in it and comes out elsewhere such as above their heads. The comedy value of this gadget is underestimated by alot of gamers plus it's useful in getting rid of those pesky missles by sending them right back at the boss.

Day 8 - Favorite Ability

Super Sonic

Get 50 rings, jump and voilà!

Super Sonic is pretty much the god mode form the Sonic series giving him more speed, invencibility and infinite boost.

Pretty cool to breack the game, explore, speed run and much more, all that for 1 ring per second in trade.

This one definately deserves a mention.

mjwmoonwalkermain.jpg

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Where to start... Theres two abilities in this game that make it stand out... because they're both awesome.

Ability 1: Christ man! Michael is a robot! Michael Jackson is a God Damn robot!"

At various points in the game a star will fall down from the sky... if you can grab it the game cuts off, Michael Jacksons face appears on the screen, theres flashes of light and then the tune from Bad hits you as.... Michael Jackson transforms into a robot. Invincible to all attacks, he can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes, throw bombs all over the place and be an unstoppable bad ass!

No you can't save kids as the robot. Yes it's totally pointless, yes it totally breaks the game... do I care? NO! I'm a God damn dancing robot!

Ability 2: The Dance

If you hold down the A button, Michael Begins to spin, magic shoots out from his body, enemies bounce of him... keeping this button held down prompts the greatest special move ever to have killed a boss...

No man alive is safe from this move, as the enemies die they must think 'Sonic spins, mario jumps, Duke shoots... I always knew I would end this way! I blame it on the boogie'

Oh but it's not only man that fears the dance... Even K-9's will fall under it's spell @0:30!

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 7

Let me try this.

Day 8- My favorite ability would be any cure technique in all rpg's. It always saves me from certain death, and I would never pass most bosses in rpg's without it. Not favorite as in fun, but favorite because its the only ability I really need in all rpg's(and other games if they have it).

If I try to find one that I had most fun with its way difficult, because i always try to use all abilities in a fun way and there are a lot abilities that I really like.

But for some reason flipendo from the harry potter games, keeps coming to my mind must be because of all those times I use it.tongue.png

Day 8 - Favorite Ability

HARDCORE PARKOUR!

There are plenty of really cool video game abilities out there, but none of them make you really look badass 100% of the time like parkour does. There's no cooler way, or more of an necessary way to go around a city than by running on walls, backflipping off stuff, and performing life risking jumps. It just looks so cool! Games like Assassin's Creed, which I've brought up god knows how many times in this thread, and Mirror's Edge were awesome examples of this. Scaling a building and landing down behind them to attack and escaping from police officers and guards are never satisfying enough until they have to do with you jumping off of skyscrapers and surviving. Flying and running fast are pretty cool and all, but they don't have nearly enough of the flashiness that parkour has.

assassins_edge.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 8: Favorite Ability in a Video Game

2dujrco.jpg

Mode Swap

I love any unit that can swap between ground and air. For example: the Mecha/Jet Tengu from Red Alert 3 and the Viking from Starcraft 2. Whenever I have these kinds of units they always make up a significant portion of my forces. They’re fun; I love sneaking them behind enemy lines in air form and then swapping them to land form to harass the enemy’s workers, or guessing how many I'll need for ground reinforcements and swapping a few to add to the ground army. The fact that these units are usually cheaper than the other air units just adds to the ability, watching a whole swarm of them switch to quickly deal with the threat is one of the best feelings I've had in an RTS game.

Runners up:

Every tool in Capsized: This game is a sort of quasi-metroidvania. Besides guns and other power ups, the game gives you every other tool right on the first level. Favorites include a grapple beam that can also pick up and throw items and enemies, and a ‘gravity ram’ that lets you jump remarkably high and push objects out of the way.

UFO Kirby: The game rarely hands out this ability, and for good reason. Besides screen clearing powers like Mike and Crash, this is the most overpowered ability in the game. At least in the first game, you gain all of the powers laser and ray usually give you, while having permanent flight. It’s a shame that they usually only let you have it for one room.

Edited by Swift
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ditto with everyone on Super mode. Getting all of the Chaos Emeralds is worth it for invincibility, incredible speed, a shiny new look, and just overall coolness. Nothing beats blasting through enemies or unleashing a super boost on a boss. I also LOVE the variations on Super Mode, like Darkspines Sonic and Excalibur Sonic. It's a pity they get used only once.

DAY 8 - FAVORITE ABILITY

Gre Nade.

Who? Gre Nade, specifically from Evolution 2: Far Off Promise.

Yes, I chose a character. No, that's technically not an ability. But I'm referring more to his abilities. He is a butler to the main character, Mag Launcher, and assists him in this Dreamcast Dungeon Crawler. His abilities involve cooking in the middle of a battle to up stats, complimenting "Mr. Launcher" to boost his stats during a fight, and overall just having really kooky, eccentric moves.

1154060-gre2_large.jpg

Just look at that bad ass.

• Thumbs Up 1

395677_268853699835835_100001336202443_636962_1268821423_n.jpg

Nero's devil arm or whatever it's called. I freaking love this thing. Here's the idea behind: Take some extremely frenetic, fluid, fast-paced combat and make it even more fluid and frenetic. Do. Want. With the touch of a button you can launch yourself from building to building, toss a guy about a few dozen feet into the air, quickly zip towards an enemy, catch and throw projectiles, and more.

The devil arm did something I never thought possible: Make playing as Dante feel relatively limited. Damn.

• Thumbs Up 4

I personally don't think that Spyro 3's flight mode, which is only usuable in the Super Bonus Round and not in the regular levels was all that impressive given that it was almost identical to an unlockable that had been done before (Gnasty's Loot, albeit you get unlimited flight from the start but have to earn your height via unlocking doors with keys gotten from thieves).

I forgot about Gnasty's Loot! Though as you say, having to earn height was freaking annoying.

Rift_Ripper.jpg

The motherfuckin Rift Ripper from Up Your Arsenal.

Basically, it a gun that can shoot black holes and insta-kill most enemies. Right off the bad, it's incredibly badass. But here the real awesome thing, the more black holes you shoot, the more that combine into one giant vacuum of death and destruction. I just love killing enemies this way, it's so incredibly fun. Not to mention that said black holes can shoot lightning bolts on top oof all that.

God I love this weapon.

Day 8 Hyper Beam

Picture-19.png

Most badass power-up/ability ever. So get this, like imagine for a second bro.

You're about to die, when your rival charges her most powerful beam, and is about to kill you, when your "son" comes in, steals it, and gives you her ability before dieing like the squishy thing he is. It feels so good, after getting your ass kicked by Mother Brain, to use her own attack on her and watch her disinigrate before your very eyes. Time bomb set? tons of enemies on the way? no problem, just use the Hyper Beam to kill anyone foolish enough to stand in your way. It's easily the best ability in Super Metroid, and it's like the developers were thinking "Ya know, we put the player through alot of shit, let's just give him a insta-kill beam and let him have fun for 5 minutes.

It's even more hilarious (and challenging) to do the glitch that lets you use the hyper beam outside the final battle. Killing Ridley has never been more satisfying.

Runner up: Portal Gun.

Portal-Gun02.jpg

The Portal gun is an amazing device capable of bending time and space within the foundations of Apature Science. That and the fact that it makes a great potato holder, easily ranks it as one of my favorite abilities/power-up objects.

*Be warned, those holding the gun please be advised to not look into the opening of the gun or shoot two portal guns at each other. We don't know what will happen, nor do we want to find out. For the greater good of Science, thank you.*

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 8 - Favorite Ability from a Video Game

ssmb_gametopic_WoW-sneak.png

Stealth

I was so waiting for the perfect opportunity to give World of Warcraft a mention, and here it is. There are many kind of abilities spread between the various playable classes in this MMORPG, and choosing a new class when creating a character is not always easy. Some few classes, four on the top of my head, have native cloaking abilities. One or two of the classes revolve around sneaking around in the shadows, camouflaged and unseen by others. I am, of course, talking about Stealth.

Rogues may stealth at any time, except in the middle of combat, and they may attack whenever they like. When they are stealthed, if they are the same level as the creatures or players nearby, those players almost have to stand right infront of or touch the Rogue to detect that invisible bugger. The game functions in such a way that other game clients do not even recognize or know about stealthing characters unless they are standing so close that they should detect them.

6035264762_65d73ec34f.jpg

I know this makes me sound like such an evil player killer. I am mostly nice in-game, I just always loved the idea of stealthing around undetected, able to surprise attack at any given time, waiting for the perfect opportunity, and they would not even know what hit them. Stealth around at locations which otherwise would be considered safe. It is great fun to be able to go into areas and caves crowded with computer-controlled enemies, being safe in the shadows as long as you keep a step or two distance. It also eliminates the chance that enemy players see you and charge over to you.

Stealth PvP

This makes me wonder why I am not playing a Stealth class. o.o;

• Thumbs Up 1

FAVORITE ABILITY IN A VIDEO GAME

bba-detective-mode.jpg

Batman: Arkham Asylum/City's Detective Mode

My favorite part of Rocksteady's Batman games has been the "Predator" sections, in which Batman must clear a room without being seen by armed goons. To do this you must pull of a variety of stealthy moves, such as pulling them off a ledge, leaving them dangling by their ankle from a gargoyle, knocking them out with Explosive Gel, surprise-attacking them from a grate beneath them, using your Detonator to set off a Proximity Mine near one of them, or simply sneaking up behind them and cupping a hand over their face.

Batman's cowl has built in motion sensors, heat detectors, heartbeat sensors, and various other crazy functions. Using the cowl in these ways is called "Detective Mode," which allows you to see goons through walls, detect whether they possess a weapon, detect whether they're conscious, detect how many are in an area, find Proximity Mines that you didn't see, and even detect perches or grates which can be used to sneak up on them and subdue them.

The reason this is so fun is that it gives you a definite advantage over your foes (you know, other than being Batman) but doesn't overpower you. The funniest thing ever is when you're systematically taking out a room full of goons, and one of them finds another unconscious body (Batman doesn't kill.) This is almost always followed by, "Over here! I found someone!" and "He's makin' us look like idiots!" and "HOW'S HE DOIN' THIS?!"

I will sometimes play another game and attempt to initiate Detective Mode. It really becomes a conditioned response, like trying using your web to navigate a city after you stop playing Spider-Man and start playing Fallout.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8 - Favorite Ability from a Video Game

Probably Parkour.

Nothing satisfy my desire to roam around an enviorment like parkour and there's nothing more fun than easily and fluidly climbing around really high things than jumping off of them. So far the only game with worthwhile parkour moves that I've been able to play was InFamous which does it pretty nicely and feels very nice. It's one of, it not the only reason I want to play Assasains Creed cause it looks even better in that game.

Day 8: Favorite Ability in a Game

Well this is hard to choose from. There's a ton of abilities I love in games, but more notably there are two I can at least narrow it down to.

Flight

spyro3_090302_01_640w.jpg

Games that allow a character to fly with good sense of control are possibly my favorites, especially if a level is large. Being able to explore the skies as well as soar without really having to worry about crashing is always one of my favorite abilities in a game--not to mention extremely relaxing.

Transformation/Form change

Hsonicstill.jpgtumblr_lc36i0vAOj1qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

Being able to alter your character's form into something else is always enjoyable, especially if there's an arsenal of new powers to use. It just adds a lot of fun for me in a game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Favorite ability form a game?

www.totalvideogames.com_vanquish_4_70592__size_655_1500.jpg

ROCKET SLIDING & AR MODE (VANQUISH)

Man, oh man was this game hella fun. I'm not one for shooters, but this game has to be my favorite shooter game I've ever played. I absolutely loved the futuristic look of it, and the BLADE weapons system was well organized and easily accessible. But something that really made this game shine were two of it's mechanics: Rocket Sliding and the AR mode. The Rocket Sliding mechanic is not only fun as hell to use, but very functional. It could help close the distance between you and an enemy or make for a quick escape. The AR mode, albeit nothing really new, is still pretty useful. Basically a time-slowing mechanic, you can use it for strategic aiming. It's also activated automatically by sustaining a lot of damage, thus making for a quick escape. These two mechanics (well, mainly the Rocket Slide) actually won Gamespot's "Best Original Game Mechanic" Award in 2010, and for good reasons (The game also received the "Best Game No One Played" award).

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8 - Favorite Ability in a video game

I have four two favorites I'mma do a countdown on, mmkay?

4) Portal Guns

I really like the concept behind these things. Jumping from portal to portal you create manually by launching via triggers on the "guns", the laws of gravity and momentum combines with that aforementioned premise to create some stunning puzzle and physics-lesson fun.

3) Gravity Hammers (Halo)

I have a thing for knocking people several hundred feet in the air whenever I run over to them and give em a smack in the face. Extra points for when said person has half gravity on him.

2) Parkour (Mirror's Edge, AC, inFamous, Fancy Pants Adv, etc.)

Parkour is just so flashy, and interesting. You have extreme flow in your hands as you take hold of the environment you are in and use it to your advantage. And not just that, but you do it with style! Parkour looks amazing when in use, and it can turn a character's badassery-levels up to 100 if they end up using it.

Gee, all this talking of flow and momentum and taking advantage of physics and your environment is reminding me of something...

Oh yeah! My number one favorite (which I have the most to say about)..

1) the Spin Attack (Sonic)

Aww come on, guys, no one has said this yet!

Spinning (or moreso known as "rolling") features one of the best dynamics I have ever experienced within a video game. It's the defining trait that got me to like the classic games so much, and I can barely see myself playing any of them without it. It's Sonic's ability that emphasizes the fact that he's a hedgehog and makes him stand out among the crowd, even in comparison to the other fictional speedsters in gaming or otherwise.

The entire setup of it's controls introduce a feeling of speed well earned by learning how to aim and launch yourself down angular terrain in crouching position, making it where you take a split-dash down the surface and gain copious amounts of momentum. Although a good bit uncontrollable when not seasoned in the knowledge of how to steer it or it's sensitivity; spinning comes off as the ultimate weapon that can be used to bust up badniks, go through tight spaces, become a key for gimmicks or slower platforming areas, or taking advantage of the ball shape by bouncing and ricocheting around like a living pinball. There is a reason I'm making a 3D fangame with it as the main mechanic, after all.

EDIT: fff Azu what are you doing, those first two are weapons/items, not abilities <_>

Edited by Azukara