Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 25

Action RPG.

What I mean by Action RPG is games where it has everything your average RPG has, but is more interactive. Games such as *insert Tales game here*, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, etc. I caqn't stand RPG's where you just wait around for the enemy to complete his long as fuck attack just to hit the enemy once really quickly (every Square Enix game I've played) and have the process repeat. The only time I found that tollerable was Chrono Trigger because it spiced up the formula a bit.

But yeah Action RPG's are awesome.

RUNNER UP: Metroid

I don't care what you say, Metroid IS it's own genre >:U

Sonic, Mario, Kirby, Rayman, Metroid, Megaman, Wario, Donkey Kong, N+ and Fancy Pants Adventures.

What do they all have in common?

They are awesome, yes.

But they are also platformers.

Platformers are some of the first games I've ever played, and I absolutely love playing them. Usually in 2D, but also in 3D, platformers always test my skill and suck me into a fantastic world of fun.

I also love Adventure games, and sometimes the lines blur between Adventure, Platformer and RPG at times.

Vidyagames er fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

rayman-origins-20111017005053198_640w.jpg

Hack and slash/Beat em ups only work when they're perfectly executed (Bayonetta, DMC3, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile). Fighting games are a blast when you're not getting your ass kicked. JRPGs are on the incredibly teetering scale of being absolutely amazing (Persona 4) or absolutely dreadful (Final Fantasy XIII). Platformers however, are appealing straight from their fundamental level.

The last two years produced two platformers each which I'd have crowned my game of the year. In 2010 it was Super Meat Boy, and in 2011 it's Rayman Origins. I guess Platformers is really just me being specific about the more general definition of "Action" games.

Not much else to say here really, I've grown up with this genre and the games that defined it. Games like Sonic, Mario, Rayman, Banjo and the like would color my interests, lead me to all these grand communities and make me meet so many new people. It really has a big place in my heart, and it's provided me with so many unforgettable memories.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 25 Favorite Video Game Genre:

This is also a no brainer for me.

silenthill2.jpg

The survival horror genre.

I love horror and being in horrific situations in video games are well scary. I do enjoy playing this genre but lately it has been quite lacking...

resident-evil-5-screenshot-zombie-mouth-bite.jpg

You know I can punch boulders and have a large ass shotgun right?

When I think about survival horror is about its all about being helpless and having unknown fears. And I do like games that pull this off right.

clocktowerscreenshot.png

Pleasedon'tbeherepleasedon'tbeherepleasedon'tbehere...

Taking the above screenshot actually got me going because music was playing when it normally doesn't playing that room. Anyways being helpless really does add in the fear factor since you really can't do anything to these monsters and you don't know what they are. But you know your scared but you must you will wind up dying.

This is what I love about survival horror. It influences a bunch of feelings on you and it makes you think about it. I do admit there is some good survival horror games out there but there's just a bunch more that more in the lines of action games with horror elements. But I hope this genre continues and does all the good stuff in the genre.

Runner ups:

I can't think of any. D:

Edited by Dream of the Endless
  • Thumbs Up 4

There is just something inately brilliant about the simple act of jumping from one platform to another. Its a pure gaming challenge. Make the platforms smaller. Put in extra, finely-placed enemies. Introduce special abilities. The combinations, the possibilities are limitless.

Mario, Sonic, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Psychonauts, Crash, Earthworm Jim. Gaming goodness.

Its a close run thing though, with point-and-click adventures also holding a special place in my gaming heart. Ever since I first loaded up The Secret of Monkey Island, the witty writing, vibrant characters and devillish puzzles have caught my attention. Lucasarts were the kings of the genre, and I miss the heady days of the 1990s.

supermario64jumping.jpg

Platfomer

Yup, nothing really interesting here. I just love obstacle courses, purely skill-based gameplay, and (good) platformers probably have the least repetition of most genres in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay.

Which is ironic because my favourite platformers I simply just play over and over again.

I confess I am a franchise whore though, few platformers outside of Mario and Sonic have ever really stuck with me. Here's a little list of my favourite examples of the genre:

Super Mario Bros 2., Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (8-bit), Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations, Glover, Mischief Makers, Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, Wario Land II, Mega Man 2, Banjo-Kazooie.

I will say I'm not as much a fan of the modern brutal puzzle platformer genre, where you're given ridiculous control over your character but with the entire stage being a death-trap (i.e. n+ and Super Meat Boy). If it's the sorta game where you can scale a single lone wall using repeated wall jumps against it, I find it bothersome.

Also worth mentioning I really like ball rolling games... Marble Madness, Super Monkey Ball, Marble Blast Ultra... though I prefer the levels that are nice tricky obstacle courses with no weird puzzles or mean time limits. Marble Blast Ultra is my favourite of those three mentioned for this reason.

Edited by JezMM

Day 25 - Favorite Genre

While I have listed lots of strategy and adventure games on this topic, they aren't actually my favorite games. I play them a bit more than some other genres, yes, but my favorite would have to be...

Action Platformers/Metroidvanias. (Jump N' Shoot games)

cave=story=pic6-490.jpg

These are just the games I have the most fun in. If I can be mobile, and jump all over the place while shooting or hitting something with a blunt object, I'm happy. Especially if the game lets me upgrade either of those skills. (Double jumping? Nifty. A jetpack? How kind!)

Capsized-log-2.jpg

I group it with Metroidvanias because they're basically the same thing as action platformers, but with a focus on exploration. I like exploration. It's nice to be able to choose where you want to go first. However, as long as a game isn't just a narrow boring corridor, I don't mind too much if it's linear or not.

Day 25 - Favorite Gaming Genre

metroid3map.gifpaledimsotnglitch.gif

Metroidvanias

Okay, I've never actually finished a Castlevania game. I've played a fair amount of each of the three GBA games, but that's about it; and that's all I needed to test the claim that they are really similar to Metroid. Yeah, yeah, don't waste your breath trying to convince me to play SotN, because I'm intending to do that sometime in the future.

Reason why I put down maps as today's image instead of actual gameplay or even box art is to emphasize that, like I said in my Super Metroid post, exploration is my favorite part of the game. I just have this weird obsession with venturing into unmarked territory while looking at the map to see the random assortment of shapes being put into place from the room layouts. And then there's those grand moments of joy finding a power-up that pushes your exploring limits even further, and going back to places you've already visited to find even more rooms, and rooms inside those rooms. That's the beauty that sets Metroidvanias apart from other action-platformers.

Hell, this exploring obsession even extends to RTS games that have a fog-of-war; I don't give a shit about defending my town, I want to roam around the map for a good 15-20 minutes. (Only reason I haven't delved into multiplayer RTS's, I know I'd get my ass beaten 3 minutes in, lol)

Runner-Ups: Action-RPGs (Zelda, Kingdom Hearts) and Unorthodox JRPGs (Pokémon, Mother, Paper Mario)

Edited by Ricky
  • Thumbs Up 9

Twenty-fifth: Favourite Genre

mega-turrican-virtual-console-20080422103908087-000.jpg

Oh, you darling Platformer, you.

From my earliest childhood memories of playing video games it was the platformer that was the pinnacle of skill and entertainment. Jump Mario, spindash, Sonic, ball up Samus, shoot Turrican, go platform heroes! The platformer explores, traverses, goes higher and further. Scale mountains, leap across moving trains, crawl through hidden passages, dodge projectiles, prove yourself the Jerry to the big boss monster's Tom.

Action games are just too vague. You're good jumpers Lara and Drake, but can either of you jump three times your own height in a single bound? No? Then keep your cinematic third-person shooter adventure whatever, because Mario, Sonic, Samus, Turrican, Jak, Mega Man, Rayman, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and many, many, many more video game gigants are willing to jump beyond your silly willing suspension of disbelief in the pursuit of pure video game fun.

The platformer is the genre that has suffered the least from the taint of artificial video game lengthening. In the industry it's filler! Filler night. And no one's gonna save you from the filler-bursting fright, but the platformer, pure and eternal.

I'm gonna go with platformers, Metroidvania games also. Stupid name, great concept.

The Metroid series and the Castlevania series are some of my favourite games for the progression they give, as you get stronger (in Castlevania, it's a lot to do with the RPG elements but still) and lay waste to things that give you trouble earlier on. Additionally they lend themselves quite well to puzzles and intricate platforming segments (Metroid Prime games! Yes these are FPS games but fucking count dammit) as well as sometimes interesting combat. They also lend themselves to sequence breaking and speed runs provided they're not overly linear (Metroids Fusion and Other M are way too linear), and it's just fun opening the map and world up, or beating the game faster, or finding all the items, or getting 100% map completion. Also the graph paper map is really cool, even the 2009 Shadow Complex (a MUST play for Metroidvania fans and heavily inspired by Metroid) has this as it's so effective.

Platformers are great in general too, such as Sonic, the older pre-metroidvania Castlevania titles and whatnot, but that's really a given.

On a side note, Swift, what's that second picture of in your post about Metroidvanias? Is it also a Metroidvania?

Edited by Semi-colon e

Simply put Platformers. Platformers are soo varied so can have endless possibility. We get Sonic who is really fast platformer, Mario more of a jumper and loads of others. This is the one I feel anyone can get into.

monopod-oil-platform_3221.jpg

Platformers!

The main thing I love about them is their simplicity. I can just turn them on and start bopping enemies. For me they're the most fun genre because of that and the one I play most. It's really sad how few are made in comparison to th 90's, but the last few years have been better,

The type can range from simple getting to the end of the stage like Sonic or like Rare's 64 games with mission type levels. I enjoy all of them..

Action-Adventure is my runner-up.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 25: Favorite video game genre

hsrpdi.jpg

I love platformers. Unlike most people though, Mario and Sonic weren't that big of an influence, though they did serve a part in it. Before I ever encountered console gaming, I was into MS-DOS games such as those by Apogee, like Commander Keen and Crystal Caves, as well as the odd puzzle game such as Lemmings. Keen 4 in particular is one of my favorite games and it was one of the first I truly attempted to master. Platformers are just easy to get into, and honestly they're the genre of games I play most these days. Some new ones today continue to impress with simple premises (e.g. Dustforce), whereas other genres tend to have to do something much bigger in order to keep me interested, such as JRPGs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite Genre: Platformers

257omd0.jpg

Platform games are great for me. It's an age-old genre that thrives on its epic simpliciity. And there are so many ways to make them interesting and fun to play. In recent history I've played Rayman Origins, and Donkey Kong Country returns, but the Sonic and Kirby games are great too.

And having cooperative play is always a plus. Whenever there's co-op, that's how I always experience the game for the first time. Having to stop and think about how you'll have to make a certain jump as a team and coordinate your efforts adds another layer to the experience for me. Or if you don't like that, you can ignore your friends, or deliberately try to dick them over.

(I seriously reccomend watching the full Let's Play, even if you don't like Let's Plays)

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 1

monopod-oil-platform_3221.jpg

Platformers!

Besides the visual pun, it also entertains me that your choice of picture would actually make a pretty sweet platforming level. 8D

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Besides the visual pun, it also entertains me that your choice of picture would actually make a pretty sweet platforming level. 8D

I think we already got something really close...

Metalharbor.png

• Thumbs Up 9

RPG and Platformer.

While I don't actually have a favourite genre per se, the two I listed above are the ones which most of my games fall under and I do happen to enjoy them the most.

My first rpg experience outside of the PC (my true first rpg was some old DOS game I can't remember the name of nor find to save my soul), was Final Fantasy VIII and as a result it holds a very special place in my heart. I also love the Disgaea series and many other online and offline rpgs. What drove me to rpgs the most was being able to step into the shoes of the character and most only make decisions on their behalf, but also choose the weapons, stats, abilities, skills and upgrades I wanted. To make the character my own.

My first platformers on the PC was Jill of the Jungle and Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back was my first console platformer. While I could never get as personal with the character as with an rpg, I loved being able to explore a stage to its fullest, discovering hidden paths, items and the like. To be able to climb, swim and run anywhere to get where I needed to go always felt really good to me.

Goddamnit guys stop posting hi-res screenshots of GameCube games, it's making me sad my computer chugs so much with Dolphin. 8C

• Thumbs Up 1

RPGs.

Lunar-Screen-1.jpg

There's just something very compelling to me about leveling up, winning or buying new equipment and using it to kill progressively bigger and weirder monsters; it's a feeling of satisfaction I can almost never get from platformers or shooters. I also love video games with a decent quantity of story, and while there have certainly been plenty of RPGs with crappy writing (would it be beating a dead horse to bring up FFXIII at this point?), they tend to have a slightly better track record than most other genres. When the story is good, there's nearly always a whole lot of it to enjoy: there are few things I like better than being really immersed in a game world.

Classic or classic-style JRPGs tend to be my favourite delivery method for that formula, but pretty much any variation on the genre is A-OK with me as long as the game itself is decent. Old-school DnD-based Western RPGs, choice- and exploration-heavy modern WRPGs, classic dungeon crawlers, those newfangled JRPGs with their goofy titles and their pretty boys, whatever broad generalization fits the Mario RPGs... even action RPGs like the Mana or Diablo games, although I guess those don't really count.

For nearly the same reasons (well, not so much the story part), I'm going to give an honourable mention/very nearly tie to Metroidvanias, and whatever genre the Zelda games and Okami count as.

8bithorse_CaveStory1.jpg

Does Cave Story count? I'm pretty sure Cave Story counts.

The same formula of giving the player shiny new toys as rewards for progression is there, only it's wrapped up in a nice action-adventure-platformer-shooter (?) package for when I want a change of pace. I actually flip-flopped on whether to make this genre my top pick, but... well, I'm really terrible at Metroidvanias, as much as I love them, and frustration at my own ineptitude can really eat away at my ability to have fun sometimes.

Platformer

The first genre I played, the first genre I loved.

Easy to get in, fun to play and take less time to master.

This genre is the one I play mostly and also the one Im most open minded to a new franshise of the genre.

Day 25 - Best Game genre.

pfft, by now

5463.jpg

Real Time Strategy

There is something about this genre that draws me in... For starters there is the fact that you don't play as a character (well, you kind of do... An authority figure) but you control a whole army... Your boys, the troops you trained yourself and made them as badass as you managed to, and make them clash against another armies to prove who is the superior power in whatever you are fighting for...

But it's not only limited to "build the best guys", you also have to know how to use them, exploit as many weakness and strengths as possible and properly mange each of your guys to ensure they survive the ongoing carnage.

6852898e.jpg

Chaaarge!!!

The battles can get quite hectic and epic because of this and that's enough reason for me to love the genre, but that's not all you have to do, (in some cases) you'll also have your own city to take care of. and you better do it because that's where your army comes from... Resource management, exploration and expansion are really important in some cases if you want to keep the upper hand in the battlefield, know the best strategic positions to take and use them at it's full potential is also crucial... Might not be the case at the beginning but one things get rolling there is always something to do and keep yourself busy or entertained with.

8e9df_EE1%2525282%252529.jpg

I call it... Commandergrad!

Another thing I like about this games (though this is more related to me than a feature of the genre itself) it's how creative you can get with your resources, I have the guilty pleasure of building cities as big and as pretty as I can (might be why I suck at multiplayer) and I also enjoy trying new ways of killing my opponents, there are lots of choices to do this since most of these games come with completely different factions and each one of them has it's own tactics to use against your enemies...

I can spend hours with this games and never get bored...

Of course, this all comes from my casual perspective and I'm not aware of but I'm pretty sure you can't spend your time building cities or amassing different kinds of units when it comes to competitive gameplay.

orc.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! Whoops! Wrong game =P

So yeah, I love RTSs... I would have liked to keep babbling about my favorite games in the genre and what makes them more awesome than the rest of the bunch but I kind of already did that (with StarCraft) and I don't have the time today for this.

Honorable mention goes to Platformers, Fighting games, FPS, and RPGs... All of them are fun in their own way. :D

• Thumbs Up 1