Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

My favorite genre would have to be:

Platforming Games

Oh hey, look at that. Dedicated Mario fan's favorite genre is the genre Mario is from! Yeah, Mario has a lot to do with this, mainly because, he's one of the only surviving platformers. However, you get other awesome games of today like Super Meat Boy and Rayman Origins. You see where I'm getting with this? Platformers are all about skill, and to me that's what a game should be about. Platformers are video games in their purest concept. The reward for performing well is speedy and amazing acrobatics. Even though other genres try to show that type of stuff off, platformers have always done it best.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 1

Favourite Genre?

Sorta easy again. And echoing what most have already said for there 25th.

Platformers!

Loved the classic side scrolling and the 3D ones. Running, jumping, collecting stuff...it's all part of the platformer genes.

Others I enjoy alot are Role Playing Games, Puzzle games, Beat-em-ups, Racing games (sometimes), Shoot-em-ups (sometimes) and Action/Adventure games. (also sometimes)

I could go into more detail, but I'm somewhat distracted at the moment. I'm playing Persona 4...die you evil cuddly b*st*rd!! -

Day 25 - Favorite Genre

rayman-origins-20110816075040327_640w.jpg

Platformers

Pretty much what a video game should be, if you ask me.

Games like these are ones that depend more on the player's ability. Not to be able to defeat someone going against them or anything like that, but to be able to overcome the obstacles standing in their way and reach their goal. Being able to time, land, and execute stuff like running and jumping at the right time is so much more fun and satisfying than pressing a button and shooting someone with bullets. You just don't get the same sense of accomplishment out of that kind of thing.

Platformers tend to be the kind of games that I have the most fun with and the kind that I always enjoy playing rather than any other. It's just too much of a shame that we don't see them around nearly as often as we really should, what with them being overtaken by war games and exercising stuff.

Plus, plaformers tend to be the kind of games filled with a more cartoony and overall fun feeling to them, which is always nice as opposed to the real and way too brown and grey world of first person shooter games.

Portable-Assultcube.jpg

Egh..

On a side note, Swift, what's that second picture of in your post about Metroidvanias? Is it also a Metroidvania?

Sort of, it's called Capsized. Everythings seperated into levels, but there's usually some alternate paths and exploration in them. Not really a true metroidvania, but it's all right.

Day 25 - Favorite Gaming Genre

409336_277341595653712_100001336202443_658765_1907786221_n.jpg

Don't worry, I won't be talking exclusively about Sonic here. :P

My favorite genre is easily the platforming genre, as many would expect of me. LikeJosh said before, it's a genre that's really hard to screw up. There are a lot of bad JRPGs. There are a lot of bad beat-em' ups. Hell, there are plenty of terrible *kart racers*. But generally, with a few definite exceptions, platformers tend to simply be mediocre at worst.

I don't know what it is, but something about jumping from platform to platform is just inherently fun. I really wish I was old enough to appreciate the golden age of the platformer back in the 90's, but I guess I'll be stuck with FPS's for God knows how long instead.

And that's terrible.

Favorite Gaming Genre - Platformers

Sonic-Classic-Collection-02.jpg

As someone who played the early Sonic games (although later than most born in the 90's), I've always had a soft spot for platformers. Sure, they may be simple, but the satisfaction of clearing a difficult level is worth it. In addition, they're generally very easy to pick up and play (A family friend's daughter is hooked on Mario and I've told her mom that she should perhaps give Sonic and Kirby a go). While the blue blur's games are my favorites in the genre, I do like other platformers as well. The genre that got me into video games is still number one, in my book.

Hmm, let me think about tha- PLATFORMERS. I fucking love them to death. <3 However, I didn't actually have any gaming systems until 2007, so other games instead got me addicted. For instance, a game called Final Ninja on miniclip and later Final Ninja Zero were freaking awesome (it's a platformer starring a ninja.) Also, you you know from my my first game was a platformer. Sonic has quickly become my favorite series, because as much as I love platforming, I can be impatient, and being able to go through levels at the speed of sound is fucking awesome. Plus, in Generations, it's just like what it would be to run around as Sonic, or anyone else capable of traveling at supersonic speeds, with plenty of obstacles to keep you on your toes. Still, I do enjoy some of the slower platformers like Kirby, that involve slower-based platforming, and exploring can be quite fun. Also, I really love the Sonic series because the gameplay style keeps changing, providing variety, and the Kirby series remains interesting with the copy ability (and shape-shifting in Epic Yarn.)

Day 25 - Favourite Gaming Genre

Blue Wisp here.

My favourite gaming genre? Damn, it's hard to choose. I will go dual-choice here.

Sonic-4-compare.jpg

cod-mw3-box-header-220x112.jpg

FPS and Platformers

I like FPS because they can be addictive, fun and rage-inducing at the same time. That feeling when you kill people you don't know across the internet with Sniper Rifles is priceless.

Platformers? They can be hard, they can be a challenge, most of the times you WILL die in platformers. Platformers are meant to be thought, you need to think what you are going to do or you will get harmed or even killed.

From both genres my favourites would be Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo and TF2 for FPS and Sonic, Mario, Rayman Origins and Blade Kitten for platformers.

Indeed, those two would be my favourite genres.

Honorable Mentions would be bullet-hell games and on-rails shooters.

Yes, I left MW3 and Sonic 4 (both equally disliked games) as pictures because I am a bastard.

TTYL!

edited for: Forgot Blue's portion, again. (god I need to stop doing that)

Edited by Spider-Man 2099

The Platforming Genre:

super-mario-galaxy-20060719051344687.jpg

sonic-generations-20110817115437715_640w.jpg

Kirby-Returns-to-Dreamland1.jpg

Untitled-2-620x.jpg

This will likely be a favorite for today, but I can't help but to share my love of this one. Here is where elements of several other genres tend to mix together to form one beautiful package, with examples such as shooting elements in Metroid and Mega Man, puzzles in several different titles such as Amy's missions in Sonic Advenutre, and even a few elements from RPGs here and there. Plus most of my favorite titles fall under this category, Specifically Kirby, Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, and many more. And lets not forget some of the timeless bosses that are brought up by these games. Honestly, I probably would have lost interest in gaming if it weren't for this genre, and the recent boom in epicness in it (as well as pokemon, but that's not the subject at hand :V)

Edited by Cerp

Platformers (Everything Sexy Series)

cQAanCx-IwKS7uGRnq1pPE6rShrP2V4B.jpg

sonic-generations-greenhill.jpg

Aw yes, everybody KNOWS what a platformer is right? (Because if you don't, you're on a website with fans of a platforming hedeghog!) Aaaanyways. Platformers our my favorite gaming genre, mostly because I really like jumping onto the next platform over and over again. I don't really like much Genres out of platformer anyways, except maybe Puzzle and RPG, but platformer is my most favorite. (How many times have I said PLATFORMER? Can you GUESSS?)

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

Day 25 - WHATS YO FAVORITE GENRE OF VIDYA

Okay, you know what, can I just list down the three genres I play the most?

#1: Action/Console/Tactical Role-Playing Games (in that order)

pokemon-black-and-white1.jpg

4508419aaa.jpg

475017-bahamut-lagoon-snes-screenshot-individual-battles-are-displayed.png

I grew up playing with these games, and I plan to keep playing them. As you know, my favorite game of all time other than Sonic is Pokémon, and with that comes a lot of grinding, battling, puzzles and character-character interaction like any good RPG. But now, Action-RPG's are looking to be my new favorite, what with playing Seiken Densetsu 3, and waiting for Xenoblade and FFVXIII. But, I like being a little more co-ordinated at times: which is why I got hooked on Fire Emblem and Bahamut Lagoon. All of the titles mentioned here are awesome, and RPG's are probably the most consistent genre I've ever played in my entire life. I guess it's no wonder that I usually look forward to playing them the most.

#2 Action-Adventures

10-06-15-Skyward-Sword-Screenshot.jpg

Yeah, Action-Adventures are awesome too. Where would Zelda be if it hadn't codified several of these tropes, if not made them? Sometimes, grinding in RPG's can be pretty useless, so why even bother doing that in Action-Adventures when you can really kill enemies when you really need to? They're just obstacles compared to EXP goldmines. Also, there is a much better sense of exploration whenever you end up in an Action-Adventure compared to the good-old RPG: sometimes, they're just too linear to begin with. FFXIII, I'm looking at you and I have a very good reason to do so. Puzzles are more well-integrated here than that of RPG's--don't forget, that without action-adventures, RPG's wouldn't really exist as hard as it would today.

#3 - Platformers

Uhh, more of this latter! SORRY, I HAVE SCHOOL~

My favorite game genre would definitely be Platformers. They're pretty much the only games I play (well, only ones I'm interested in at the moment). There's just something about platformers that really appeal to me, whether it be challenges, typical platforming bosses, or just the gameplay of them really. I grew up with playing platformers, and I still like them now. :P

gta3_01_2.jpg

My favorite genre is sandbox games, mostly gta or clones of it is my type of style. The sense of freedom I get when I play these is like no other. I feel like I have no limitations when I play these games, I can go any where I please, take whatever I want, and basically do whatever I want to in this playground. Of course I could do missions to progress in the story or I can just kill innocent civilians just cause I can. And just doing whatever the fuck you want without the feeling of being restricted like other linear games.

I'm also going to go with platformers. I just love the simple run-and-jump gameplay, the numerous different mechanics you can throw in to switch it up, the simple, yet involved level design, and how you can pick up and play one so easily. Nothing beats firing up Sonic Unleashed and showing your stuff on Windmill Isle.

Runner-ups would be RPGs and Metroidvania style exploration/action games.

Action/Adventure/Platforming

sonic_gen18.png

R%26C_UYA_screen01.jpg

sly-2-band-of-thieves-20040907115058244.jpg

jak21.jpg

screenzeldaww1.jpg

Whether by themselves or combined, each of these genres are amazing and can cover a wide range of interesting sub-genres that can intrest almost anyone.

First off, the Action-Adventure genre, with such games as the Zelda series, offers a wide interesting world to explore and contains tons of colorful characters to meet and learn their stories and many epic battles to take part it. Also there is Getting many unique items that expand and change the gameplay in significant ways

The Action-Platformer such as Ratchet and Clank and Sonic the Hedgehog both radically diffrent game series but both fun as hell in their own right. R&C is basically a glorious mix of Action, Platforming, Beat Em Up, and Shoot em Up, offering a bevy of ways to take out an enemy, which increase replay value dramatically because you just wan't to see which gun does what, then there's Sonic which offers a unique spin on the platofrming aspect by having you control a super-speedy Hedgehog and having the player use their skills and fast reflexes to overcome certain obstacles that are presented in each stage. And for something really unique, try the Sly Cooper series, which combines Platforming with Stealth to form an interesting gameplay style.

Or hell, try a mix of Action, Platforming, AND Adventure with Jak and Daxter series, combining the Gunplay of R&C the Sandbox style of GTA, and the Platforming of Crash Bandicoot and it all gets put into a melting pot of awesome that almost never gets old, no matter how many repeated playthroughs.

These 3 genres of gaming are responsible for some of my favorite games of all time because the prerequisites for them isn't as strict as say, FPS. They can almost be anything you wish, and that's why they are my favorites.

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 1

FAVORITE VIDEO GAME GENRE

sonic-generations-greenhill.jpg

PLATFORMERS BECAUSE NO ONE HAS SAID THAT YET RIGHT

So, I guess it's a bit redundant, but DUR HERE'S WUT A PLATFRMR IS

A platformer is a game that requires the player to navigate a level by jumping on platforms. They can also involve an entirely unique moveset, such as double jumping, tightrope walking, shimmying, wallrunning/jumping, or a homing attack.

The reason I like platformers is because they seem to be the most creative genre of them all. Most FPS game and RPGs look the same to me. Platformers always seem to do a great job of differentiating themselves from the crowd, whether it be by being faster than most platformers, or by using stealth as a gameplay mechanic.

I am better at platformers than any other game. Seriously, I suck at shooting people or playing board games. Platformers have a simple goal: Jump over here, don't fall. It's a genre accessible to everyone. I can pick up a new platformer that I've never played (not many of those) and be instantly fucking awesome at it because I just am.

Platformers often give a character, such as Mario, who (as a character) isn't anything special, the skills required to progress through the game. They often have an unintended yet deep underlying theme to the effect of "You don't need a gun or superpowers to solve your problems." Mario just jumps, man. He doesn't need no stinkin' badges to be a superhero to save the princess. He just does what he does.

Platformers are just fun all around, what more is there to say? We'll be back with more Sports Show with Norm Macdonald.

• Thumbs Up 5

Platformers were my primary pick, but since that genre has been mentioned a load of times, there isn't really a point in saying any more about it, I couldn't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Because of this, my pick for favourite genre is.....

pokemon-black-white.jpg

RPGs! While I'm not a big fans of the overly cinematic ones like the newer Final Fantasy games and such due to their tendancy to sacrifice good gameplay to look good in trailers, it still is a genre I enjoy a lot of the time when I play them. They usually have good stories, likable characters, interesting settings, a decent amount to do because of the long stories and various sidequests, a good number of varied enemies to face in each one, and in some cases, a lot of strategy behind the battle system make them really fun to play. I also really enjoy RPGs where the gameplay still sticks to RPG conventions, but makes it so there's more interaction required than pushing a button and then watching an attack, like the Mario RPGs and the Mega Man Battle Network games.

c5oxw.png

Zero's lower leg parts have to be made of rubber or something to bend like that.

Fighting games are another genre I really enjoy. Despite what comes across to scrubs some people as a genre that takes no skill to play, and is all just mashing buttons until someone comes out on top, it's a genre that takes a lot of skill to get good in due to all of the movesets and combos that you have to learn, but pulling off really hard combos is a really satisfying feeling once you're able to do them correctly. The wide rosters and many playstyles each character can have in these games also make each fight you run into unique, which prevent the games from getting stale as well. Games with character customisation like Soul Calibur help this even more. The general fast paced nature of them, and the fact that you have to pay a lot of attention to game plans and predictions when against better opponents also add to how much I enjoy them as well. They're also one of the few genres of games that I can enjoy watching as well, especially if the players really know what they're doing.

Edited by Serperior
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 25 - Favorite gaming genre

Do I need to even say it?! Platformers!

Not only is my favorite game a platformer, there are many other goodies that are platformers. First we got my favorite series, which is Sonic the Hedgehog. Next, we got those other treasures, like Mario, Crash, Klonoa, and some other stuff I can't name on the top of my head. One reason I like platforming is because of simplicity. You're given one objective: Go right, beat the stage, face the boss, rinse, and repeat. Nice and simple; anybody could pick it up, as opposed to A TO JUMP, X TO PICK UP, Y TO REALOD, B TO CROUCH, R TO SHOOT, and all the other crap. Jumping and a character-exclusive skill is all you need. Now, platforming was revolutionized when we got 3D models. We are given free enviornments to search around and such. I can walk around station square, or look around princess peach's castle.

Not to mention the cool things platforming games have done, like MARBLE GARDEN ZONE BOSS YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Ok, I'm gonna probably be the prime oddball of today, but actually my favorite genre of video games is...

Guitar-hero-iii-cover-image.jpg

THE MUSIC/RHYTHM GAME

Being the music lover I am, I absolutely love these games. It's a great way to play a video game and at the same time hear awesome music, but on a more interactive level. It's also great way to play with others because almost ANYONE can pick up and play one, due to the easily adjustable difficulty levels. It's also a really good way to discover new artists/songs. There are several great artists that I was too young to hear of that I discovered through these games, and I think that's awesome. Something else I like about Rhythm games is that they're very creative. I love it when developers create new ways to play. Sometimes the result can be absolutely wacky but still come out as a great game.

Some of my favorite games in this genre are:

dj-hero-2.jpg

DJ HERO 2

A lot of people though that this series would fail, (sales-wise, it kinda did) but DJ Hero is very unique and gives a great challenge as well. The in-game original mash-ups from over 100 licensed tracks are very creative, and, for the most part, all sound awesome. The game has great visual flair, giving the feeling that you're clubbing for real. Plus, the game has friggin' Deadmau5 in it. lol

ddrxsc04.jpg

DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION

The game that gave the Rhythm genre it's start. The game that caused many to spend countless dollars in an arcade. The game that also gives a great cardio workout. Yep, DDR. Almost everyone liked to play this game. It had awesome music, and the game was simple, yet advanced at the same time. This game's popularity prompted the creation of a freeware game that's also popular (Stepmania)

elite_beat_agents_a_cover.jpg

ELITE BEAT AGENTS

Remember when I mentioned wacky rhythm games? Yeah, this is a great example. This game features a somewhat small setlist. but the gameplay is quick and fun. The game's got a lot of style, featuring extra wackiness (like a football-style babysitting missions) and also, an extremely heartwarming tale of a girl wanting to see her father again (I remember many of you guys put this as one of the saddest VG moments a couple of days back). Similarly to DDR, the game's success (primarily in JP since the series is Japanese anyways) prompted a freeware game based off of it (Osu!).

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 25 - Favorite Genre

This is a simple anwser: Platformers

They're just so wacky, colorful, and fun to play most of the time. The concept of running and jumping is a basic one, so they're easy for anyone to pick up, play, and master. Speed running in platformers is really satisfying too, espcially in games like New Super Mario Bros where everything flows so naturally and smooth.

This topic doesn't exactly have a wide deviation of choices as it stands, but I'm still choosing

Metroidvania

Out of all the facets that can go into a video game, I'm most fascinated by level design. You can discover such amazing and important things about a game's aesthetic and how it accomplishes them by deconstructing the dynamics and set pieces of a level or how multiple levels are juxtaposed. But Metroidvania environments are unique in that while there's a single intended path for you to follow, they're built not only expecting you to deviate from that path, but to promoting you to do so. The game begins in mystery. In simply skill based platformers like Mario or Megaman, you basically go in the single direction that you didn't just come from or is blocked off. Mario might have secret environments or shortcuts at the very most, but even in Metroidvania games, you'll come across many branches where you'll find multiple doors, but the level design isn't biased to tell you which way is the "normal" path. Backtracking is particularly important because it tells you not to have a linear mindset when appraoching this game; there's not a "one true way" you have to look, think and find out the path for yourself. If you run into a dead end or an obstacle you can't pass, one thing comes to mind. "Why is this here?" Depending on how its set up, you might find out by simply looking around or coming back later when you have a power your realize to be capable of circumventing or destroying that obstacle, because in a well-designed Metroidvania, all nooks and crannies hold something. It doesn't have to be vital or even worth your time, but there has to be something, because you want the player to understand that exploring does just as much for you as simply running, jumping and shooting. They make sure you don't just notice things that can potentially affect you; they can circumvent simple and lazy Skinner Box tactics by ensuring you aren't necessarily rewarded or punished for exploring, but building the environment in such a way that it ensures you observe and question every detail in the world as you move. Why does that ledge protrude? Should I jump down that pit? That wall looks skinny- can I break it? Progress isn't so easy to identify as moving from point A to point B; you only feel it when you actually find a boss or receive a new major powerup, but not as you approach it, because in Metroidvania, you can move ahead without knowing which way's forward.

This genre's principle of considering all details than just what appears most essential immediately, easily branches out into other kinds of adventure games, from shooters (Metroid Prime), to survival horror (Dead Space) to puzzle games (Myst), which I just think is awesome and something developers should try to implement more often. I'm not going to lie, it's a difficult design technique, but once you get the player hooked into that mindset, it's a very effective and immersive design.

Runners up: Rhythm, Platformer, Shooter, WRPG

Edited by SuperStingray

I am going to have to go with platformers. I find thoughs are the games that I look forward to the most playing. Dodging past spike pits, timing your jump perfectly so you don't run into the fire sticks, wondering if another group of robots awaits you around the next corner, jumping over endless pits of death, that heart pounding moment when you have one life left and you have to face off against the boss, jumping over the koopa shell you had kicked that bounced off a brick and is sent zooming back at you! Maybe it is just me being strange, but platformers have this sense of wonder that no other genera can capture!

But a close runner up would definately be RPGs for me!

Day 25 and Favorite Video Game Genre. I am going to against everyone else and say Racing Games. The reason that I like the racing genre is that I have a chance to push cars worth millions of dollars to the limit on tracks that the common person has very limited access to. If a racing game has a multiplayer mode and is open to mods then you can mix it up with cars from different classes and eras on tracks that can range from legendary to surreal in setting. This genre has been a constant in my gaming library for years regardless of platform and age.

Day #25 - Kami's Universally Loved "Ninjashark should try these instead of those Licensed games and Fanhacks he loves so much" Favourite Genre of Video Game

platformerpower.png

The main culprits...(yes the image is kinda crummy, deal with it!)

Everyone has already kinda covered what would be my pick in this subject, so I'll just parrot what they've said...

Argh, Varied and Colourful locales! Arck, interesting characters with their own unique gimmicks, playstyles and abilities! Arrrgk, Simple and Accessible format that still provides challenges at high levels of play! Aruk, long history of greatness that still shines even when they're no longer center stage! Arch, Kami want a cracker!

Honourable Mentions

RPGs - I quite enjoy the level building aspect of these games, plus the wide open worlds full of nooks and crannies to explore is great fun. The battle systems can get a bit monotonous at times though, which is kinda their downfall.

Racing, Fighting and Party games - Who doesn't enjoy the thrill of competition now and then? These games are always great when you can get more people interested in playing, since the mad-cap mayhem really gets underway then. Outside of that these games kinda suffer, since their single player options are a touch lacking at times.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 25 - Favorite Genre

Action-Adventure

Action-Adventure is a rather broad genre that includes a large variety of games. Games like Legend of Zelda (on that note, I finished Skyward Sword not too long ago, damn good game), Uncharted (also considered a platformer, which is easily my 2nd favorite genre after this), Assassin's Creed, etc. fit under this genre. Action-Adventure can be broken up into many smaller subcategories, and I think it has a little something for everybody.