Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 25: Favorite Gaming Genre

Frickin' platformers. The fact that people have learned how to take an activity as simple as jumping and make it engaging is an accomplishment enough, but seeing the kind of level designs and ideas that this has been applied to, especially in recent years with such games as Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins and, of course, Sonic Colors and Generations is simply amazing. The genre also fits in really well with others, such as shooting (Ratchet & Clank) and stealth (Sly Cooper), and it's made its way into quite a few recent games and game series in the form of parkour (i.e. Infamous, Uncharted). In short, awesome stuff.

Edited by The T-Man

Day 25 Platformers

No long explanation needed. I love the level designs, the game-play, the graphics, the creativity, everything about them is just charming and gorgeous in my opinion. Although I do wish more of them were around other then the Mario ones that come out every year, Series like Little Big Planet and Rayman have taught me to never judge a book by it's cover.

Day 25 - Favorite Gaming Genre

So I was trying to think about what games I like and see if there was anything in common with them, I started to head into the areas of RTS however I found myself also crossing over into God Sims, yet at the back of my mind Catherine and Resident Evil was bugging me, heck even the Ace Attorney games were annoying me to say point and click.

So then I tried to think what links them all together, and then it hit me...

I think I can sum up my decision with this...

large_riddler.jpg

Puzzle Games

If you look at most of the best selling and most critically acclaimed games out there, not all of them, but a great big huge chunk, they're either classified as puzzle games, or have a big puzzle element to them which works.

Think about it,

Catherine,

Resident Evil,

Ace Attorney,

Most RTS games,

Most God Sims,

Angry Birds.

Portal

A lot of RPGs...

They all have a heavy focus or have a lot of puzzle elements to them. Whilst we have games which are classified as puzzle games, Tetris, Puzzle Bubble, Critter Crunch, Bejewled etc.

We don't seem to realise that most famous games have puzzle elements to them,

Take ICO & Shadow of the colossus, I've talked about this before, but what are they on paper? Platformers, but... why? Yes you walk along a platform to go from place to place, but I ask you, in Ico, what do you spend most of your time doing? Solving puzzles, pushing blocks into the right place, lighting fires/explosives as well as guiding and combat, the majority of the game is puzzle solving.

shadow-of-the-colossus-the-movie-20090408034722732.jpg

Shooting arrows? Swinging a sword? Good luck with that, you need to climb up it... ... .. now is the time to figure out how.

Shadow of the colossus, you don't get very far just running upto the Colossi swinging your sword, you have to target specific areas, find out how to climb the colossi etc etc, all of this involves using your head, trying to solve a problem so you can beat the stage.

Ace Attorney/point and click games, they ask you to use your head, use the items you have to solve problems, does that item go with that one? Yes? No? Why?

How are RTS games puzzle related you might ask? Well most RTS stages are usually 'destroy the enemy base' or get/kill/destroy said item/building from the enemy and then get out. Or a variation of the previous.

Now ask yourself, how many times have you simply been able to go from point A to point B without any problems? Quite often, if the stage is good, you need to think ahead, you can't just blindly send out units to an enemy base, they'll usually get destroyed, even if you build say 200+ tanks, yeah congrats you just spent all that time building tanks and loosing over three quarters of your army and resources on that one attack. Usually most bases have a weak point or are vulnreable to a specific unit in your army, the question is finding the key weakness.

cnc05sm.jpg

How do I destroy this base with such good ground defence... . oh!

Most bases, especially in the old C&C games made by Westwood Studios are almost like a puzzle, the player has to test it before he can just send in his army without a care in the world.

Same with God Sim type games, if you look at games like Sim City and even the Sims, you're trying to look after people or a city and trying to fill their needs whilst watching it grow without all falling apart... but how do you do this? You use your mind, you have to adapt and respond to problems, no point in Sim City building a giant mass transit system and freeway if all you have are a few shops and a farm. You'll be bankrupt in a few turns. Find out what your city needs, adjust the budget accordingly... and God help you it might just work.

Ok maybe we're stretching it a bit with the RTS and God sims a little...

But lets take a look at another genre.

Survival Horror.

How did Resident Evil become as successful as it was? It was scary right? Yeah sure it was, but it would have been a little boring if you were able to get from one room to the next quickly without problems right?

Image8.jpg

How many times in the original Resident Evil games did you see this?

The door is locked? Wheres the key? it's in a room with a statue in it... the statue has a heart shaped symbol on it, wheres the heart shaped symbol? It's in a room with paintings, each painting has a button below it... whats the right order? Hmmm Ok got it! To the statue room! ARGH ZOMBIE! DIE! Phew, back to looking for the room... Whats this? Divert electricity to the right breaker room!?

Resident Evil games, for the most part are puzzle games, the zombies and monsters are hazards to hinder your ability to solve each puzzle.

Take this boss from the original resident Evil for instance.

Resident%20Evil%201%20DC%20-%20Plant%2042.jpg

Plant 42.

Theres two ways to kill this boss... either shoot everything you've got at it and hope you don't run out of ammo... result is that you'll probably end up with critically low ammo and low health left.

Or....

Find specific items... find the correct formula... spend time mixing it together... use your head to work out the maths... and hope you get it right... then use it on the roots of the plant... then go kill it... much easier, especially if it's your first run at the game.

But unless you use a guide book, you need to figure out that formula yourself, the monsters are just there to prevent this, unless of course those spiders in the billiard room were enjoying billards?

What was one of the biggest complaints people had about RE 3, RE 4 & RE 5? No puzzles, or that the puzzles which were there happened to be too easy. Resident Evil 4 is pretty much a 'walk from point A to point B' with the monsters being the obsticles this time, same for RE 5. RE 3 on the other hand... well the puzzles were there... just very easy.

Now lets take a look at Catherine.

Catherine is a platforming game with some small combat elements, but what is it really? It's a puzzle game. You're basically climbing up a tower, but you have to pull, push and manipulate blocks to create paths and stairways to climb up it.

catherine-6.jpg

Thats GREAT Vincent, you'll pulled out a block... now how are you going to get the middle block out and then move that original block again so you can climb up... without the whole tower falling down?

It's not a simple case of pulling any old block, you need to understand how the blocks work, how they fall and how they interact with each other. But if you get it wrong you end up becoming trapped, killing yourself, or watching hoplessly as the entire tower collapses.

I would also argue, that some puzzles in games can almost ruin the experience for the player. Take the game Dino Crisis, described by many as Resident Evil with dinosaurs... well erm... yeah I can see why they said that... but there is one issue I have with it.

Dino Crisis has a lot of puzzles, and some of them are terrible. Sure theres ones which are pretty much find X key... take it to door Y etc. But then they throw in their idea of 'hacking' or as I call it... ridiculously long memory games that you need a pen and paper to solve. They're so relentless with their difficulty that you dread getting to them, it's not enjoyable at all. When I think back to Dino Crisis, I don't remember fighting a T-Rex, but I do remember hating those puzzles.

Even Sonic Unleashed, that has some very basic puzzles in the werehog level, what are they like? Slow, and kinda boring... Sonic 4 also has a puzzle section in it... first time you encounter it, it stops you dead in your tracks, but once you beat it, theres the satisfaction... but... second time around... mess up the timing, that section becomes a thing of hate.

I would argue that a lot of games do have puzzle elements to them, and thats one reason why we and especially myself enjoy them so much. Someone has set a puzzle, a block in your road to victory, it's a battle of intelligence between you and someone else, if you solve the riddle, I think that subconciously the reward is 'yeah I'm smarter than you buster!'

So yes... Puzzle Games. I like Puzzle games...

13386_medium.jpg

...and they usually have characters that are strange yet stupidly cute.

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 25: Favorite Video Game Genre

I would definitely have to vote on Platformers here. I played them as a child and growing up and I've always enjoyed them. It's always fun figuring out how to make your way through the level without taking damage or dying all the while enjoying the scenery. Games like Sonic, Mario, Kirby, Croc, Crash, Spyro, and so forth pretty much made up my life. It even gets better when you can add a friend into the mix as well!

My second favorite would be Action/Adventure game series, specifically Zelda. I love open area worlds that you can explore and enjoy, especially when a little bit of platforming is added into the mix.

Day 25 Favorite Genre:

I think 3D Platformers-- The early ones mostly. =)

Things like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. I liked how 'open' they felt and how 'nonlinear' they were. I mean sure, you still had to get to the objective, but if you wanted to stray from it, you could usually explore the entire stage , rather than be confined to the path to the objective. Though I still love things like Sonic Colours and Generations. =D

If I had to pick a second one, I'd have a toss up between Music/Rhythm game(s, like Rock Band!) and Base Builder (Minecraft!)

^^; Sorry about the small post, but I just can't think of anything more to say!Fa

Edited by Aptiva

Day 25 - Favorite game genre

P is for pouncing in the air with your knees

L is for landing on your opponents with ease

A is for abilities with which you can fly

T is for trying desperately not to die

F is for frolicking through wonderous lands

O is for "OUCH," say your blistering hands

R is for running at dangerous speeds

M is for money that you collect out of greed

E is for endless amounts of fun

R is for really cheesy poem. I'm done.

But seriously folks, I love platformers. They offer a ton of variety and creativity compared to most genres nowadays. Here are some examples:

-Hop 'n' Bop (Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot) - This sub genre is probably the most well known, the most simple, and the one that holds the most memories for me. It basically revolves around running through courses and defeating enemies by jumping on them. Really it's simple fun at its finest.

-Action sidescroller (Castlevania, Shinobi, Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures) - Usually these games give you weapons rather than let you simply jump on your enemies, and they often have very creative level designs that take advantage of your arsenal. Big boss fights are aplenty, which I always love.

-Run and gun (Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug, many Treasure games) - A greater focus on shooting, with many weapons, tough enemies, huge bosses, and often a cruel difficulty. Sometimes the platforming is toned down to allow for more intricate action, but I think the best games are the ones that fuse platforming and crazy action together seamlessly. Contra 3 is one great example of this.

Overall platformers have a special place in my heart, both 2D and 3D. Though with the 2D platformers getting more popular in recent times, it's a shame that 3D platformers are being reserved mostly for crappy movie tie-ins.

• Thumbs Up 5

Super-Mario-Brothers.gif

Sonic_Generations_Sky_Sanctuary_Modern.jpg

I love platformers. I grew up with Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic the Hedgehog, and other similar games. Platformers sucked me into their worlds like no other games could. The design of the platformer allows for a lot of world-building and exploration, and coupled with amazing gameplay when done right, creates the best games around. Super Mario, Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country, and Banjo-Kazooie made my childhood life. It's just too bad platformers barely exist anymore...

Day 25 - Favorite Gaming Genre

I have 3 favorites (because I hate only playing one genre and on certain days, I'll be in the mood for something else...):

1: Survivor Horror: A Survivor Horror has the potential for some extremely powerful atmosphere. For example, the very beginning of Resident Evil 2 is a great example.

During the game's first 10 minutes, you're pitted in what can be described as a difficult obstacle course filled with Zombies all over the place you need to avoid while making your way to the Police Station. You can't kill all of the Zombies as you don't have NEARLY enough ammo. You need to conserve what you have and only kill the ones who are necessary.

resievil2_002-large.jpg

By the time you FINALLY arrive at the Police Station, you're wounded, clutching your stomach at Caution or below Status. The BGM playing is pretty depressing, very fitting for the "I finally escaped all those Zombies outside, but now I'm screwed, because there's even MORE of then inside here and this Police Station is the only way OUT of Racoon City....AND WHERE'S MY GODDAMN HERBS!? I'M BLEEDIN' HERE!!!"

You can't emulate this in modern days. Now it's just "Ah Bollocks, my health is low. I'll just either wait in a corner until it regenerates or restart to the last checkpoint". I also find the concept of Wandering through some really big hub and figuring out which doors to unlock incredibly fun (AKA, the Spencer Mansion or Police Station). I believe you guys called it Metroidvania exploration, but for some reason, it feels different in Resident Evil, so I'm not sure if it counts as that. :/

I can't list Survivor Horrors above the others because it has it's cons too. This type of game is supposed to be slow paced and more atmosphere focused, therefore, it isn't very replayable (unless it's RE2 and it has 4 different scenarios, all of which are worth checking out). Also, you can EASILY screw up a Survivor Horror. Stripping the player of ammo and weapons is one thing, making it FUN and memorable is a different and very difficult task not many can do.

2: First and Third Person Shooters (but like Survivor Horrors, only if it's done right!):

One thing I hate about video games is progression. When I play the single player of a game like Sonic or Halo, I know that the very minute that I finish a Mission/Level/Zone, I'm __% closer to being done playing the game. I really don't like this.

I like a game when I can play it for hours and hours doing some kind of side-quest and not make a SINGLE bit of progress through the story. First Person Shooters are these due to their multiplayer, more specifically, FPSes with BOTS; because sometimes I just want to relax by shooting Easy Sims in the face, not compete for Exp. Points online against real players who want it more than me.

whoop-ass.jpg

My daily routine on Perfect Dark? Combat Simulator - Map: Random: Weapon Set: Random, Bots - 2 Meat Sims, 2 Easy Sims, 2 Normal Sims and one Hard Sim. No match is EVER the same, yet I've spent hours playing just this one mode.

You also have the Mercenaries and Horde Modes from Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War 2 (I haven't played 3 yet). These modes involve either defending yourself against hordes of enemies (Gears) or trying to score enough points WHILE killing as many enemies as possible within a time limit (RE4). These modes feature insanely replayable rounds and the only progress you're going to make by replaying these modes is either Achievements or unlockable characters. Excellent.

Cons? Well, not every FPS has bots (Halo), online servers may be down (Halo 2), not every FPS has a randomizer to make playing the same maps interesting every time, and not every FPS good gunplay (aka, it feels fun to shoot someone in the face, without this, your game sucks, regardless of the quality of the level design).

3: Finally: Bullet Hell/On Rail Shooters: Touhou and Starfox 64 are Prime Examples of this and why I love it so much. You get a set amount of stages to play through, and once you're done, your first job is to replay them, over and over and over and over and OVER! You may not have many levels to choose from, but these few levels are so well designed, you'll probably spend more time replaying them then you will playing any other mainstream shooter's pathetic excuse for a "campaign".

N64_Star_Fox_64.jpg

I've probably played this level over 500 times though my lifetime and I STILL have yet to get tired of playing it. note: number may possibly be made up...

You set goals for yourself. I'm NOT going to die on Stage 4, I'm going to get up to 200 Hits on Corneria, I'm going to beat the entire game without continuing, I'M GOING TO ATTEMPT TO BEAT SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2 WITHOUT DYING ON HARD ONCE AND TRY NOT TO CRY IN THE PROCESS OF DOING IT, etc. I previously mentioned how I hated Progression in a video game, and it probably applies here because the games are so short. But you're easily spending more time getting better at the game that it doesn't matter. My current goal is to be able to 1CC all the Touhou games on a regular basis. It's going to take a lot of practice, but that's what this genre is all about: Practice and Perfection.

Cons: Unless you're playing Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, these games WILL be short, in addition, they aren't guaranteed to have good level design, you may be left with 5 incredibly generic stages and may wish you never bought that Downloadable Ikaruga-wanabe on the Virtual Console/XBLA/Steam/whatever.

In the end, I can't choose ONE genre. All of 'em have Pros and Cons that make them unique from each other and make me want to play them on different days.

Edited by Goldenlink64
  • Thumbs Up 2

Getting ready for school so shitty post coming through

PLATFORMERS

The wonderful thing about platformers is how versatile they are because of their loose definition. The only thing that restricts them is that there must be jumping being done, but beyond that there's so much to be creative with. Powerups and weapons and level design and even changing the core mechanics behind jumping, all make it so that two platformers could look like totally different genres at first glance. It's such a simple joy to hop from ledge to ledge and that alone can make a good game (e.g. Super Meat Boy) but then you add other elements (e.g. RPG and shooter mechanics in Cave Story) and get something completely separate but no more or less fun. Which is the beauty of the genre. Simplicity or complexity don't factor into how fun they are. The most basic are every bit as enjoyable as the most intricate.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay what the hell would I put that isn't...

PLATFORMERS!

So original, MIRITE? But yeah. I grew up on platformers. Almost every game I got as a kid was a platformer. It's very true that they have the most potential of any type of game. They can have any visual style. They can be slow or fast. 2D or 3D. Tons of abilities, or none at all. An HP based life system, or dying in one hit with infinite tries. Any type of level trope can be in and not feel out of place. Creative enemy designs are more likely.

Then you have stuff like Rayman Origins, which flows as smoothly as butter poured down a perfectly smooth waterslide of punching and jumping and FUN. They are also extremely adaptable to elements from other genres. If you want some unusual game ideas? Platformer heroes can jump ten feet high, roll around at the speed of sound, and shoot fireballs out of their hands with the only explanation needed being that they always just could, or because a power-up or upgrade suddenly made them able to do that.

Yeah. Platformer games are pretty awesome.

Day 25 - Favourite Genre in Vidya

Platformers - very versatile, can be implemented in any style of gameplay (i.e. Metroidvania's ) any art style direction, can be both 2D & 3D and a large amount of well known characters hailed from them (i.e. Sonic, Mario)

i'd also say Action Adventure too, things like Zelda and Uncharted.

Day #25 - Favourite Gaming Genre

i4piqw.png

Oh look... someone on a Sonic forum picks platform games. Shocker! Yeah, it's the cliché answer, but I'd be lying if I chose something else. Won't ramble as everyone else has already done a good job of explaining why they're awesome, but I think the main reason I love them is because the concept is so simple and yet so versatile... from the typical "hop and bop" to run-and-guns to puzzle platformers... 2D or 3D... straightforward or complicated... slow or fast... the possibilities are endless and that's what makes them some of the most creative games out there.

Runner-Up: Shoot-em-ups

10qlzpe.png

I suppose I love shmups for the same reason I love platformers: Simple yet so addictive. Most things in the genre basically amount to "shoot the crap out of stuff and don't die", and there's still an amazing variety to choose from. You've got your basic horizontal and vertical scrolling shmups (think Space Invaders, Zaxxon, R-Type, Ikaruga) to your on-rail shooters (Space Harrier and House of the Dead), to bullet hell (Touhou would probably be the notable one) to even those run-and-gun platformers I mentioned before (Metal Slug, Contra, Earthworm Jim, Gunstar Heroes)... and what do they all have in common? They're addictive as hell and so much fun... if somewhat frustrating at times. And I mentioned this but they have some of the coolest bosses in gaming history.

Notable mention: Graphic Adventures

hvto1w.png

Last one I'm mentioning today.... I was brought up with Point-and-Click games on the PC and they're easily still some of the most engaging titles I've experienced. Not just for the gameplay (in fact, I can think of a few off the top of my head that are pretty bland to play but I still love for the next reason)... but for the fact that the bulk of them have some of the most amazing writing I've ever come across. It's VERY hard to think of an adventure game that doesn't have a solid plot, charming characters, and in most cases, manages to be genuinely funny. The amount of detail that goes into some of them is astounding. And when that's paired with excellent puzzles... just... wow.

I'm sure we all know the "big" ones (Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Grim Fandango to name a few), but there are some marvelous obscure titles out there that no one ever seems to have heard of and it makes me sad...

Two of them I mentioned earlier in this topic (the games, which are also some of the more brutal games I can remember if you like that sort of thing)... and the screenshot I've used today comes from "Dare to Dream", an early series by Epic (yes... that Epic) that is one of the more surreal things ever I've played... there's a Dick Tracy Crime Solving Adventure that I remember being quite excellent (no... don't worry, it's not

Dick Tracy)... and while it's aimed at a younger audience... I'd urge anyone to check out Gahan Wilson's Ultimate Haunted House. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any decent footage of any of these games, but if you like adventure games, they're definitely worth a look into if you're able to.

Or... you know... maybe someone could just assure me that I'm not the only person who's ever heard of them... ... .. anyone? *crickets chirp*

I also have a soft spot for racing games, survival horror, and a decent FPS.

Edited by Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 3

Honestly? I could say platformers. I want to say platformers. Glancing over my gaming collection, I probably should say platformers.

But the actual answer? The one I know to be true?

Racing Games

I love racing games. Even the worst, cheapest and most frustrating of them reward skill. Even the crappiest of them tend to have some redeeming value. I like sims. I like arcade games. I like Gran Turismo. I like NFS. I like kart racers. I like weapons-based racers.

Even the worst of them tends to get me to at least an attempt to play it from me, and I can usually find something fun to do in them when others cannot (not that I will stick to them if they blow, but I will get a bit of enjoyment out of them).

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 6

DAY 25 FAVORITE GENRE

PLATFORMERS MOSTLY

I've grown up with platforming games, be it Mario, Sonic, or Spyro, chances are I know about it. Jumping from platform to platform is just... fun! Platforming games tned to be wild, colorful, and wacky, just the way I like them. I mean, sure, I like other genres, but the platformer is just that special, just that fun. Plus, you can do so much with it, no two platformers are the same!

Well, this is going to be an easy one:

Nintendo-DS_1711645b.jpg

Ah, the Nintendo DS. Not to be confused with the DSi or 3DS though. The DS is pretty much the greatest handheld (and gaming system) I have ever owned. The amount of uses for the Touchscreen and Microphone is pretty much unlimited and the thing is such a simple, yet endearing design.It has one of the greatest libraries in gaming history, and the GBA Backwards Compatibility just adds to that library. Sure, the graphics might not have been as good as the PSP, but like the Wii, that led to developers using it to make games with unique graphic styles.

DAY 26

I can't really decide unbiasedly since I've never had every console, but of the ones I've owned:

250px-GameCube-Console-Set.png

The Gamecube.... My god, the Gamecube... What a wonderful console, it has some of my favorite games (yes, including THAT one), unbelievably solid build quality that I've never seen before, an outstanding controller (yeah I said it >:U), and some other things.

Me and my friend spent countless ours on this system in our early teens, Ultimate Muscle, SA2:B, Custom Robo, Bloody Roar (fuck that game though), DBZ Budokai, etc. awesome times that I will always cherish.

It's too bad it lost because of a lack of a DVD player. No seriously, what the fuck?

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm legimitately interested in seeing how many people will pick the Dreamcast.

PS2 for me, I'll make an actual post when I get home.

There was once a system.

A Sega system.

It had all of the very best Sonic games on it. Games that I loved and played as a child. Games that I grew up with! All of may favorite titles: Sonic 1, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast (and it also had Sonic 2, I suppose).

It had the most wonderful, flawlessly designed and comfortable controller ever designed.

It had shooters and racing games and fighting games and platformers and everything!

It had the very best of Sega's creative juices pouring into the system, overcoming its hardware limitations and delivering great gameplay experiences in spite (or perhaps even because) of them.

You guys all know what I'm talking about.

saturn-fc5-640.jpg

The Sega Saturn.

lawlz

And the seriousness of this post hangs directly on how frequently you imported games for it.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 6

I have to be completely honest, I think the Nintendo Gamecube is incredibly awesome.

250px-GameCube-Console-Set.png

All of my favorite games are on this system, including Sonic 3 & Knuckles which is available via Sonic Mega Collection. That, and the presence of some of Nintendo's best work (Wind Waker, Smash Bros Melee, Mario Sunshine, etc...) makes this the definitive console choice for me.

Well, I suppose the Wii is technically better, since it has all of the Wii games as well as the Gamecube games, but I think the Gamecube had a much bigger impact on my gaming enthusiasm.

And yes, I adore the Dreamcast, but honestly it brought me much frustration from breaking on me every couple of months. The Dreamcast gets a close second from me.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

I'm sorry guys, I have to go with this sweetie;

ps2cheats.jpg

PS2

It plays PS1 games, it has a wide game roster of it's own, it acts as a DVD player and the controllers are the tried and true Dualshock style. Our family got it randomly sometime early in 2002, and the slim version I bought myself in 2004 still comes around with me whenever I go somewhere for a prolonged period of time. Why would I not pack it, it's great!

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1